Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone wanting to purchase a DJI product read this first.
1509 9 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sudo su -
lvl.1
Flight distance : 312635 ft
United States

Let me give some background…

I Purchased my Phantom 4 in early December 2016.

In Late March 2017 the unit crashed. I was in mid-flight and the drone lost power and fell to the ground.

I opened a support case with DJI and sent the unit in for repair. I received a notification that DJI received my drone on 4/3.

On 4/12 I got the invoice from them. The invoice stated “ultrasonic sensor obstruction” “unit shut off motors believing it was on the ground, user error.”.

This diagnosis kicked off a very time intensive process for me to get some answers about why this was considered “user error”. The DJI side of the story is that my drone thought it was on the ground so it shut off, they claim the reason it thought it was on the ground was because I had installed a gimbal guard. At the time I did not know what a gimbal guard was and when I questioned the customer support representative about it he told me- and I quote, “you were flying with the clear plastic gimbal protector that shipped with the unit in place”. This conversation was with a supervisor. For the record I was NOT flying with any gimbal guard in place, nor was the gimbal lock that shipped with the unit in place during flight as was suggested by support.

The support supervisor that I was speaking with went back and forth with another department and finally opened a case via the DJI Zendesk ticketing system. The representative informed me that my case would be reviewed and that he would get back to me, via email through the ticketing system, to update me on status. Specifically he informed me that data would be provided to substantiate the claim that a gimbal guard was attached to the system.

After five days I have no update so I reached out to DJI to get a status. The following day, six days from my promise of a max 48 hour turn around on communication, I get an updated status that is almost the exact same wording used in the initial determination, no additional details were provided to me.

Based on this I replied back to DJI with several points of contention to their claim of user error. First and foremost I asked why the unit all of a sudden, after six min of flight, decided it was on the ground. This communication was on 4/27.

On 5/2 I again reached out to DJI to ask for an updated status on my case. Instead of a response my case was closed and listed with a status of “solved”. The same day I responded asking why the case was closed, I received no response.

Fast forward to 5/10. I received a “final notice” on my repair invoice. So I reached out to DJI yet again to try and understand what was going on with my case, this time over online chat because I didn’t have one hour plus to be on the phone with them. The representative told me that he would file a dispute and that they would get back to me within the day.

On 5/17 and I don’t have any answers from DJI. So I reached out via chat to check again. The chat representative told me that he could submit an invoice dispute and that they would get back to me over email. I asked the rep if he could look at the last chat session that I had and see if anything had been done, he promptly informed me that he did not have access to previous conversations about my case. WHAT, your in support and you don’t have context on the issues I have been having nor access to my case history? So I pick up the phone and call in to DJI. 45 min pass and I finally get in touch with a support rep. The rep proceedes to tell me that my drone will be returned by the middle of next week in an un-repaired state.  Yes, that’s right, a completely different answer than what I got from the chat session. Because of some of the history here I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. An additional  Hour passes before I can talk with a supervisor.

The supervisor was friendly but also did not seem to have any information related to my case, in fact he started talking to me like I was calling in on an issue related to a Mavic. I steered him in the right direction and pointed him to the Zendesk case that I had opened with the previous supervisor. My questions were, 1. Why was my previous ticket closed & 2. What is the status of my drone? The supervisor could not give me any information about why the ticket was closed, other than to say that a specific representative closed the ticket so that he could communicate with me via his personal email. Apparently each DJI support rep has a personal email that follows the support.NA***@dji.com where the *** is replaced with numerals indicating that reps number. The rep did however let me know that he had scheduled a manager to call me back within 48 hours. I was also able to get this reps specific DJI email address so that I would be able to reach him directly if a manager did not call me back to discuss my case.

I received a call on 5/18 from the manager, unfortunately I was unable to take the call. The manager did leave a message and send an email as well. The content of each was the same, essentially just a rehash of the same thing the other reps have been telling me. DJI believes that user error caused the drone to detect that it was on the ground and consequently shut the unit off in midair. Additionally, this manager tells me, via voicemail, that my warranty is now void because I attached a gimbal guard. Again, I have never had a gimbal guard or any object for that matter attached to my drone.

I replied to the email that was sent asking the manager to please call me back to discuss. I have received no return call. This leaves me feeling like DJI is under the impression that attempting to call me once and leaving a message fulfills their commitment for my request to speak with a manager. Extremely frustrating.

There is another post in this forum about a user with the same diagnosis from DJI, basically they are blaming the user for the unit falling out of the sky. I would speculate that there are others with the same issue that have not been vocal on the forum and have just sucked it up and paid to get their drone out of DJI jail. Throughout this process I have been racking my brain on why the unit would not use a combination of sensors for it to know if its on the ground or not.  The software seems to be pretty smart in other ways so why such a basic thing is this type of problem I don’t know.

And here is the kicker, I don’t even have a valid link from DJI to see my invoice. I have mentioned this to literally every representative I have spoken with because the first thing they ask you is if you want to pay for the reapir.  To this date I still don’t have a valid link to my invoice.

Friday (5/19) I received a notice indicating “Your Phantom 4 has been tested and will be shipped within two business days. “  I have no idea what this means. I have a manager teling me on Thursady (5/18) that its my fault then I get an automated message on Friday saying it’s been tested and will be shipped withing two business days. Just par for the course with DJI support.

Since I know the very next thing here is for a DJI forum member to ask for my case number ill go ahead and provide that. And since I have not had much luck on the extremely long phone calls with support ill ask the questions again. Whats going on with my unit? Has it been repaired and will be sent back in two days like the email I received says?

Case # CAS-528181-K8H8W5

The support process is madening, it's full of hour plus long phone calls, customer service representatives that appear to want to be helpfully but are not empowered to do anying, countless wait times of 24 to 48 hours, empty promises of followup, and in my case and at least one other on this forum with the same issue DJI is blaming the customer for something that is not their fault.

2017-5-22
Use props
Drone2621
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225292 ft
United Kingdom

I think DJI company policy is to blame every  one for every malfunction in the hope they accept it.  If you get passed this stage then your on the merrygoround for a few months then they may accept its a fault with the  machine. Dont know why any one would buy direct from DJI when you can use amazon and other places that dont treat you like a criminal .
2017-5-22
Use props
sudo su -
lvl.1
United States

Drone2621 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:10
I think DJI company policy is to blame every  one for every malfunction in the hope they accept it.  If you get passed this stage then your on the merrygoround for a few months then they may accept its a fault with the  machine. Dont know why any one would buy direct from DJI when you can use amazon and other places that dont treat you like a criminal .

Couldn't agree more on placing blame, these forums, twitter, rcgroups.com, inspirepiolots.com, mavicpiolots.com, etc.. are full of confirmations to that fact.

As for purchasing from dJI directly i wouldn't know, i did not purchase from them directly. I do agree with you though that there are too many other reputable places to purchase from to deal with DJI directly. Original purchase is one thing, service after the fact is another. In general i think most peoples issues are with the latter.
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Based on the information provided, the unit is in the process of being sent back for non payment of the invoice. I can put in the request to have the unit held so that you can receive further communication from a supervisor in order to verify if sending it back non repaired is what you wish to do, but that's the most that can be done at this time.
2017-5-22
Use props
sudo su -
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-22 13:54
Based on the information provided, the unit is in the process of being sent back for non payment of the invoice. I can put in the request to have the unit held so that you can receive further communication from a supervisor in order to verify if sending it back non repaired is what you wish to do, but that's the most that can be done at this time.

Jamie, thank for your reply.

Yes, please put in a request for me to have the unit held- I would appreciate that. I do not wish for the unit to be sent back unrepaired. Thus far no one at DJI has been able to explain to me why my drone decided it was on the ground and thus turned off motors in mid flight. All that I have been told is that the sensors detected an obstruction. Well if they unit detected an obstruction and decided it was on the ground why did it wait till 6 min into the flight for this to happen? Why not immediately on takeoff or at some point earlier in the flight? Why does the altitude display in the flight record say it was still at altitude if it thought it was on the ground?

I am also very curious if you have any records relevant to me indicating that the invoice URL DJI sent me is invalid.  I have mentioned this countless times over chat sessions as well as during phone discussions.  Do you have a record of this?
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sudo su - Posted at 2017-5-22 14:54
Jamie, thank for your reply.

Yes, please put in a request for me to have the unit held- I would appreciate that. I do not wish for the unit to be sent back unrepaired. Thus far no one at DJI has been able to explain to me why my drone decided it was on the ground and thus turned off motors in mid flight. All that I have been told is that the sensors detected an obstruction. Well if they unit detected an obstruction and decided it was on the ground why did it wait till 6 min into the flight for this to happen? Why not immediately on takeoff or at some point earlier in the flight? Why does the altitude display in the flight record say it was still at altitude if it thought it was on the ground?

Invoices are only active for a certain period of time. I do not know when you started to look into potentially paying the invoice, but if you did so recently, then it would be due to the invoice expiring. Should you agree to pay the invoice after speaking to a supervisor, then it would be reactivated in order for you to do so.
2017-5-22
Use props
sudo su -
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-22 15:15
Invoices are only active for a certain period of time. I do not know when you started to look into potentially paying the invoice, but if you did so recently, then it would be due to the invoice expiring. Should you agree to pay the invoice after speaking to a supervisor, then it would be reactivated in order for you to do so.

I don’t recall when I first tried to view the invoice link but I do know that it has never worked for me.

The only reason I even have a bearing on repair costs is because one of the first emails sent to me during this process was a repair quote and the details were contained in the body of the message.
Also, to clarify, I’m no looking at paying the invoice. I was more trying to understand if anyone in the support department that I have spoken with put any notes into my case indicating that the link was bad, or took any action to address that issue.

Can you please confirm for me that you will hold my unit I can speak with a supervisor and that you will arrange for a supervisor to contact me?

Thank you for your help.
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sudo su - Posted at 2017-5-22 15:29
I don’t recall when I first tried to view the invoice link but I do know that it has never worked for me.

The only reason I even have a bearing on repair costs is because one of the first emails sent to me during this process was a repair quote and the details were contained in the body of the message.

Yes, the shipping process is being halted for the time being until it gets sorted. Just to make sure I'm on the same page regarding the invoice link, you should have received an email that had the list of the parts that were needed for repair with the total cost and a link to pay via PayPal. Is that the email you're looking at, or is it something different?
2017-5-22
Use props
sudo su -
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-22 16:25
Yes, the shipping process is being halted for the time being until it gets sorted. Just to make sure I'm on the same page regarding the invoice link, you should have received an email that had the list of the parts that were needed for repair with the total cost and a link to pay via PayPal. Is that the email you're looking at, or is it something different?

That email, along with the reminders that are sent after it, link to the same URL.  it starts off as repair.dji.com/payment.  None of the links work, they all say "invalid URL"

Thank you for putting a hold on the shipping process, when should i expect to hear from someone?
2017-5-23
Use props
fansbdcccd8b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Just pay the money friend. It will only get worse. Been where you are and further complaints are useless
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules