Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why are people scared of the new update???
12Next >
3893 48 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asainz320
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please explain to me what is all the fuss about with the new upcoming update? I keep seeing people complaint about this new update coming up and how it is going to cripple our drones. I read the message from DJI and at no point I feel that I have to fear my drone not flying correctly or being blocked from flying at all. Please direct me to the article that says that we will not be able to keep flying where we were flying before, also point me to where you read that we will now need an internet connection to be able to fly.

What I understood from the article DJI posted is that update should be fixing the problems some of you were having with the wrong NFZ and not being able to fly because of it.

Thanks!

2017-5-22
Use props
Sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Because many just want think the worst of everything and the rest get all their world facts from Facebook..
2017-5-22
Use props
elementofgid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11050 ft
United States

Yeah seems like everyone on Facebook is freaking out but I don't see what's wrong with the update...
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

It can be summed up in one word:  Restrictions

Your freedom to downgrade or run whatever firmware you want is my most primary concern.  Your drone being bricked unless you register it is another.  It really comes down to when does this stop?  https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05 ... drones-next-update/
2017-5-22
Use props
Sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:01
It can be summed up in one word:  Restrictions

Your freedom to downgrade or run whatever firmware you want is my most primary concern.  Your drone being bricked unless you register it is another.  It really comes down to when does this stop?  https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05/dji-restrict-non-compliant-drones-next-update/

I should add, people that believe SUASnews's clickbait article

It has been made clear by DJI staff and some others who are running it that there is NO new restrictions. Believe the world is falling if you like but you will see, panic over nothing..
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Sploodge Posted at 2017-5-22 08:24

It has been made clear by DJI staff and some others who are running it that there is NO new restrictions. Believe the world is falling if you like but you will see, panic over nothing..

I hope you are right.  If you are, then there is no reason to do what they are doing.
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dji has only one interest here, improving the use of there drones, improving there systems and making your experience of flying drones the best they can make it, that way the sell more drones and have happier customers.

2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:26
I hope you are right.  If you are, then there is no reason to do what they are doing.

Except to improve things,
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:49
Except to improve things,

I would be a happy camper if that happens!  Sadly, history is not on our side here.

Hope though is not a strategy, but locking down my aircraft is until I am proven wrong.  Let's just say, I hope I am proven wrong.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

As I was saying:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-97044-1-1.html  
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:54
I would be a happy camper if that happens!  Sadly, history is not on our side here.

Hope though is not a strategy, but locking down my aircraft is until I am proven wrong.  Let's just say, I hope I am proven wrong.

History is on your side, dji has been improving its products firmware and technology at an unprecedented rate and we all share this,

Think you will find if you ask most people by a mile fly there drones under current firmware and are happy to do so.
2017-5-22
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Today i got an email from DJI telling me about there update - normally i never get an email from them?
Firmware .400 is gone from DJI assistant - why would they remove it?

So yes, i am very reserved about there upcoming update cause so far a see two red flags
2017-5-22
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133642 ft
United States

Does the current version have a timer embedded?  If you don't connect to the internet then how will it force the restrictions. (  Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high)
2017-5-22
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-5-22 09:02
Does the current version have a timer embedded?  If you don't connect to the internet then how will it force the restrictions. (  Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high)

Yeah, from what reading there is restrictions to flight distance and height to get around people using tin foil to block gps. What I really don't like is the forced update thing. And if they ever do implement real time tracking, going to have to go back to building your own to have anything decent in the future.

This doesn't affect guys like us though. We have older firmware. But the next mavic might be something you'd want to buy, and it will have all this junk on it. If you let them openly track you, you're a puppet. And puppets get the hand up the *** every time.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-22 09:13
Yeah, from what reading there is restrictions to flight distance and height to get around people using tin foil to block gps. What I really don't like is the forced update thing. And if they ever do implement real time tracking, going to have to go back to building your own to have anything decent in the future.

This doesn't affect guys like us though. We have older firmware. But the next mavic might be something you'd want to buy, and it will have all this junk on it. If you let them openly track you, you're a puppet. And puppets get the hand up the *** every time.

The way I see it, I may be sitting on a $5000+ Ebay item that will fund my custom built drone.  Someone is going to pay anything for a Mavic running .0400 and a copy of Android 4.0.6.
2017-5-22
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 09:18
The way I see it, I may be sitting on a $5000+ Ebay item that will fund my custom built drone.  Someone is going to pay anything for a Mavic running .0400 and a copy of Android 4.0.6.

Well dunno about that. Hackers will always get around these things. It's more for the general public.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-22 09:21
Well dunno about that. Hackers will always get around these things. It's more for the general public.

You're popping my bubble!    

Edit:  The kind of person I am talking about that would pay this is not too smart anyway, so maybe you are not popping my bubble!
2017-5-22
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Sploodge Posted at 2017-5-22 08:00
Because many just want think the worst of everything and the rest get all their world facts from Facebook..

Blimey, Sploodge is back!
2017-5-22
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

On DJI's statement I failed to find the part they say we need internet at all times to be able to fly. What I did find was them saying we need internet to verify the update.

"You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware."

Why are some people thinking they will need data all the time?
2017-5-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sploodge Posted at 2017-5-22 08:24

Good to see you back.  A bit more sanity for the group I think.
2017-5-22
Use props
Grumps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Log in, agree to the Terms and Conditions, fly like always. Easy peasy, hope it ain't too breezy.
2017-5-22
Use props
terry735001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18602 ft
United States

humm i think i am scared of any update and they seem to come with alot of bugs to brick the app its self so at lest the lest ver is 1 that was working at the time

i would all so like to know how the app is going to work when not next to a cell tower . as i do alot of flying out in the woods  .
2017-5-22
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

terry735001 Posted at 2017-5-22 20:52
humm i think i am scared of any update and they seem to come with alot of bugs to brick the app its self so at lest the lest ver is 1 that was working at the time

i would all so like to know how the app is going to work when not next to a cell tower . as i do alot of flying out in the woods  .

Yeah that's the thing, it shouldn't require a connect. They're tracking when and where the drone is turned on and the user associated with it. Litchi probably won't work after this either, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a dji fanboy myself but this sounds like ********ery and *******ery had a child.

Let me expand on it. Let's say some guy named fredrick flew his hacked mavic into larry's face. You were across the street at the time flying yours. Now the police call dji and say, larry got propellor burns on his face and tripped broke his neck at 5pm pst on a saturday. Dji say, let me pull that up for you. It was thehippoz and he lives at xxxx in yyyy. His phone number is zzzzz.. Now I get a call from rambo and he wants me  like fleece johnson. Shouldn't even be bothered but the next thing I know, dropped the soap in prison and can't fight off the gang bang.
2017-5-22
Use props
terry735001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18602 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-22 21:06
Yeah that's the thing, it shouldn't require a connect. They're tracking when and where the drone is turned on and the user associated with it. Litchi probably won't work after this either, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a dji fanboy myself but this sounds like ********ery and *******ery had a child.

like any thing in life there is all ways good and bad to some thing .  

what sucks is the bad guys all ways find a away around the system and the good guys have to deal with the system .

as i full time RV trying to get nice shots for my youtube channel  that i make no money on but for fun  its to take some thing i see as a tool and make it in to a paper weight

what i am most afraid of is not what is new that comes with the app is that the app just stops working .
as it has now .. i just updated to a new S8+ and it does not like the screen size and crashs so much the app would not even open  uninstalled and reinstalled the app and now the video feed does not work but the rest of the app works  

2017-5-22
Use props
Sploodge
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-5-22 09:26
Blimey, Sploodge is back!

Kind of - Someone needs to add some common sense in here sometimes
2017-5-22
Use props
Quadcoptercrazy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1013038 ft
United States

I really hope they don't require us to have a data connection all the time because I use an Ipad mini 4 without a data plan.
2017-5-22
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Sploodge Posted at 2017-5-22 22:40
Kind of  - Someone needs to add some common sense in here sometimes

Couldn't agree with you more!
2017-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Is there going to be a war I dunno.

There's a Spanish Drone that runs between
Guadalquivir and old Saville,
And at dead of night the wind blows,
and people hear she's running still...

And then they hush their children back to sleep,
Lock the doors, upstairs they creep,
For it is said that the souls of the dead
Fill that Drone ten thousand deep!!

Well a Dji man lay dying with his Mods by his side,
His family were crying, knelt in prayer before he died,
But above his bed just a-waiting for the dead,
Was the FAA with a twinkle in his eye,
"Well Dji's not around and look what I've found,
this one's mine!!"

Just then the Dji himself appeared in a blinding flash of light,
And shouted at the FAA , "Get thee hence to endless night!!"
But the FAA just grinned and said "I may have sinned,
But there's no need to push me around,
I got him first so you can do your worst,
He's going underground!!"

"But I think I'll give you one more chance"
said the FAA with a smile,
"So throw away that stupid lance,
It's really not your style",
"Joker is the name, Poker is the game,
we'll play right here on this bed,
And then we'll bet for the biggest stakes yet,
the DRONES of the dead!!"

And I said "Look out, dji , He's going to win,
The sun is down and the night is riding in,
That Drone is dead on time, many souls are on the line,
Oh Dji ,He's going to win!.."

Well the Droneman he cut the cards
And he dealt them each a hand of five,
And for the dji he was praying hard
Or that Drone he'd have to drive...
Well the FAA he had three aces and a king,
And the Dji he was running for a straight,
He had the queen and the knave and nine and ten of spades,
All he needed was the eight...

And then  Dji he called for one more card,
But he drew the diamond eight,
And the FAA said to the Dji man,
"I believe you've got it straight,
So deal me one for the time has come
To see who'll be the king of this place,
But as he spoke, from beneath his cloak,
He slipped another ace...

Ten thousand Drones was the opening bid,
And it soon went up to fifty-nine,
But Dji didn't see what the FAA did,
And he said "that suits me fine",
"I'll raise you high to a hundred and five,
And forever put an end to your sins",
But the FAA  let out a mighty shout, "My hand wins!!"

And I said "Dji oh Dji , you let him win,
The sun is down and the night is riding in,
That Drone is dead on time, many Drones are on the line,
Oh Dji , don't let him win..."

Well that Spanish Drone still runs between,
Guadalquivir and old Saville,
And at dead of night the wind blows,
And people fear she's running still...
And far away in some recess
The Dji and the FAA are now playing chess,
The FAA still cheats and wins more Drones,
And as for the Dji , well, he's just doing his best...

2017-5-23
Use props
Safari
First Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

That's the new human nature in a connected world.
I'm not scared, i guess I'm too old for that. :-)
I never had any problems with upgrade on my mavic since January and i am always pushing the latest one. But i am on IOS.
Maybe it's an android feature to be scared of updates...
2017-5-23
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-23 02:15
Is there going to be a war I dunno.

There's a Spanish Drone that runs between

I heard George Micheals cried in UK prison cause there was a irish singing him dirty limericks.
2017-5-23
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those that are concerned.. why not just build your own quad? I built 3 DIY quads and none of them had any restrictions. Personally I'm not surprised they're doing this, there are so many idiots doing stupid things with DJI aircraft and making them not only liable.. but also destroying our hobby.
2017-5-23
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-5-23 07:56
For those that are concerned.. why not just build your own quad? I built 3 DIY quads and none of them had any restrictions. Personally I'm not surprised they're doing this, there are so many idiots doing stupid things with DJI aircraft and making them not only liable.. but also destroying our hobby.

Agree, but that occusync and distance, the modes, the size with gimbal 4k. It puts the whip and amp to shame.
2017-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-23 07:31
I heard George Micheals cried in UK prison cause there was a irish singing him dirty limericks.

Give an Irish man enough drink he will sing the phone book. Lol
2017-5-23
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

I am totally not getting in the middle of this one.  
2017-5-23
Use props
rsands
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Mavic introduced a lot of idiots to flying drones unfortunately.  However any update that tracks your drone live and restricts its capabilities is crossing the line.  We have law to cover that, not a manufacturer keeping the kids in line.
2017-5-23
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.1

United States

rsands Posted at 2017-5-23 16:16
DJI Mavic introduced a lot of idiots to flying drones unfortunately.  However any update that tracks your drone live and restricts its capabilities is crossing the line.  We have law to cover that, not a manufacturer keeping the kids in line.

True. The update is just like a dribble of sploodge.
2017-5-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you look at anything that's new as well as fun and slightly dangerous it always starts out wild west, then first thing you know everyone gets involved, then it gets regulated to the point that all the fun gone. It's easier for older people who have been through these kind of things before to understand...
2017-5-28
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-22 21:06

Honestly... why do you think this is the case? There is no ground for such assumptions at this point. You need to have a data connection to verify your account - anyhow you can't fly without an account - and that's it up till now. I wouldn't be happy flying with data on either way and DJI wouldn't either - too much interference from the phone to the controller - I always switch over to airplane mode when flying and that's what anyone with a gram of sense would do. Let's see when the update shows up - then we can talk about it.

Cheers!
2017-5-28
Use props
MikeQView
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 09:00
History is on your side, dji has been improving its products firmware and technology at an unprecedented rate and we all share this,

Think you will find if you ask most people by a mile fly there drones under current firmware and are happy to do so.

i would have hated to see what DJI firmwares and softwares were like before then !    TBH  my concern is that if i updated and the firmware and software worked reliably and continuously,  i would upgrade in a flash,   but now to take this step means theres no going back,  my Mavic is a peach on locked .400,  i have no maps, ok.  but it was only some crummy "Here" map anyway so nothing lost there, as a little grey square is no worse than when its running LOL.   so for me to take the jump i would love to see some more  reports of people without problems,   no info/feedback/care from DJI, on questions asked,   so not yet for me.
2017-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

MikeQView Posted at 2017-5-28 10:09
i would have hated to see what DJI firmwares and softwares were like before then !    TBH  my concern is that if i updated and the firmware and software worked reliably and continuously,  i would upgrade in a flash,   but now to take this step means theres no going back,  my Mavic is a peach on locked .400,  i have no maps, ok.  but it was only some crummy "Here" map anyway so nothing lost there, as a little grey square is no worse than when its running LOL.   so for me to take the jump i would love to see some more  reports of people without problems,   no info/feedback/care from DJI, on questions asked,   so not yet for me.

Well that's your choice and some have chosen to do it that way if it ain't broke don't try fixing it.
2017-5-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules