P3A - Is my camera blurry or am I doing something wrong?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Qazara
New

Netherlands

Hello,

I purchased a Phantom 3 Advanced to get into the hobby and I am loving flying it. One thing I have noticed however, is that the video doesn't seem sharp in places. I'm not sure whether it's something to do with my camera settings, or whether the camera itself is blurry. Maybe even it's something that needs to be done in post such as sharpening.
I've posted an example video here:

In this video I was using an ND8 filter, ISO 100, 2.7k 24fps but couldn't get the shutter speed to double as the filter wasn't strong enough, so shutter speed was around 1/100 to 1/200. No editing has been done, the video is straight from the drone. Also worth noting:

- I have removed the plastic from the lens and made sure it was clean so I don't believe this is the issue.
- It has also been similar with and without the ND filters so I don't think that is the issue either.  

I noticed there was a post about the phantom 3 camera being blurry outside of the box and with a fix that involved screwing something within the camera tighter. Does this look like it may be the issue?

2017-5-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The material you are shooting is very taxing on the compression, lots of extremely fine detail being shot at speed. In the short stationary shot, it looked fine to me, but all the moving footage was suffering from compression artefacts.
2017-5-23
Use props
Qazara
New

Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-23 01:14
The material you are shooting is very taxing on the compression, lots of extremely fine detail being shot at speed. In the short stationary shot, it looked fine to me, but all the moving footage was suffering from compression artefacts.

Thank you for your reply. Is the best way to overcome this by just shooting it at a lower speed?

2017-5-23
Use props
Propwash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Qazara Posted at 2017-5-23 01:33
Thank you for your reply. Is the best way to overcome this by just shooting it at a lower speed?

If you want reasonable footage you must wind your drone speed and maneuvering down considerably.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Propwash Posted at 2017-5-23 03:07
If you want reasonable footage you must wind your drone speed and maneuvering down considerably.

I think you will always have some sharpness issues, extreme angles of the little canyon your cruising through & your speed is quite high, that is if you want sharp, clear video/pics.
Your turn made me dizzy! Your flying just like I did, try that same mission but slow er down to half that speed, compare your two videos & I'd bet you will see quite a difference
Wanted to add- I noticed my initial videos were dull, & then i tried using Litchi to fly some longer missions & i guess becuase of Litchis cruising speeds i noticed my videos were suddenly so much sharper & even colors seemed more dramatic.
2017-5-24
Use props
Propwash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-5-24 07:04
I think you will always have some sharpness issues, extreme angles of the little canyon your cruising through & your speed is quite high, that is if you want sharp, clear video/pics.
Your turn made me dizzy! Your flying just like I did, try that same mission but slow er down to half that speed, compare your two videos & I'd bet you will see quite a difference
Wanted to add- I noticed my initial videos were dull, & then i tried using Litchi to fly some longer missions & i guess becuase of Litchis cruising speeds i noticed my videos were suddenly so much sharper & even colors seemed more dramatic.

Your reply should be to Quazara not me oopps
2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules