Uav use in Kenya
1846 8 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys.
Im off to Nairobi with work and want to take my P4 .
Only problem is im not sure if the use of drones is now legal in Kenya..
Can anyone shed any light on the rules for me.
Ive looked online and even e mailes KCAA to find out if i can use it over there but so far heard nothing back.
Any help would be nice. Aftet all i dont want to get there and have it confiscated..
Dave
2017-5-24
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Probably you want to check with the Kenyan Civil Aviation Authority or email them directly. I have a look around the website but didn't find anything about drone.
2017-5-24
Use props
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ive e mailed  the KCAA. Havent heard back. Just thought id ask on here.
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

kajot dave Posted at 2017-5-24 13:24
Ive e mailed  the KCAA. Havent heard back. Just thought id ask on here.

You can also try some local online sites to see what users over there are saying since you haven't heard back from officials yet.
2017-5-24
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I asked about taking my Mavic on Safari; was informed I need a licence, will take a few weeks to months, was not going to be cheap (can't remember the figure, but close to the price of the Mavic), so decided it wasn't worth it.
2017-5-24
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Can you let me know how it goes please? I'm going there in July and I would also love to take my drone with me.
2017-5-24
Use props
MicroDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3404324 ft
Kenya

Hi,
Im a drone operator based in Nairobi, KE. Until couple of months ago, drones were banned, then the Civil Aviation Authority announced that they now have regulation. However, there is still no clear process to apply, unless you contact KCAA directly. They are not very good at replying though. There is a good chance that your drone might get confiscated at the airport. You will get it back on your way out though.

My advice, if you have to use a drone, work with a local operator. Check out a Facebook page called Kenya UAV Association. There are a couple of drone operators. Im one of them, if you wanna check out my stuff, check out MicroDrone Africa websitewww.microdrone.co.ke
2017-5-29
Use props
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

MicroDrone Posted at 2017-5-29 05:03
Hi,
Im a drone operator based in Nairobi, KE. Until couple of months ago, drones were banned, then the Civil Aviation Authority announced that they now have regulation. However, there is still no clear process to apply, unless you contact KCAA directly. They are not very good at replying though. There is a good chance that your drone might get confiscated at the airport. You will get it back on your way out though.

cheers for the reply.
if I get back over to Nairobi and I do take my drone ill drop you a message.
2017-10-8
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

This will help though it looks as though you will have to spend a lot of money!

https://www.droneregulations.info/Kenya/KE.html#country-search

or

http://www.kcaa.or.ke/index.php/ ... /193-press-releases

Among others issue of Temporary Permit $1,500!

Chat to MicroDrone you can't beat local knowledge.

Good luck and it would be great to let us know how you get along.
2017-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules