Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are P3 controllers interchangable?
1313 17 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I have a P3 Standard and have a chance to buy a crashed P3 Standard which I know I can fix. It doesn't have a controller.

Once fixed, can I fly the crashed P3 Standard with my present P3 Standard controller?
----------------

And if so, how can 2 pilots fly 2 different P3's in the same general area?  

Thank you guys in advance, Ray
2017-5-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, but you will likely have to link them together, which is a simple operation/procedure.

Much like binding a regular RC receiver to a Spektrum Tx.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-24
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-24 12:45
Yes, but you will likely have to link them together, which is a simple operation/procedure.

Much like binding a regular RC receiver to a Spektrum Tx.

I will have to look up how to do it. Thanks.
2017-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-24 14:40

Just do a word search (ctrl F) on the manual for LINK
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like RHP mentioned, you can use the same RC on both units, but you do have to link the RC to the aircraft every time you want to use a different unit. You would follow the binding procedure in teh P3S manual.

If you plan on getting another RC and letting a friend fly with you, you would want to keep distance between yourself and your friend, along with the aircrafts to minimize the RC interference.
2017-5-24
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

Ya just bind it to the other aircraft. I have two transmitters that came with mine when my brother gave it to me. The one he got in the box thanks to DJI's quality control didn't have the wifi board installed on the main board it was hanging from the antenna wire inside. He didn't know better and just bought another radio. I wanted to know and since I had 2 opened it up and fixed it. These little things are not real impressive inside either. and a single cell battery to power it just doesn't seem like enough. My other Transmitters that I use for my other aircraft have at least 4 cell power and feel so much better. Wished I could use my heli radio to fly this little quad.
2017-5-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-5-24 15:01
Ya just bind it to the other aircraft. I have two transmitters that came with mine when my brother gave it to me. The one he got in the box thanks to DJI's quality control didn't have the wifi board installed on the main board it was hanging from the antenna wire inside. He didn't know better and just bought another radio. I wanted to know and since I had 2 opened it up and fixed it. These little things are not real impressive inside either. and a single cell battery to power it just doesn't seem like enough. My other Transmitters that I use for my other aircraft have at least 4 cell power and feel so much better. Wished I could use my heli radio to fly this little quad.

Yes, it's also nice to have multiple models on one radio. Anyway, the battery in the DJI RC lasts much longer than you would ever expect it to, in the beginning.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-24 14:40

There is a tiny hidden button on the drone that will need to be pressed with a paper clip.
Please read the instructions, or do a simple search here or on the web, and you will be fine.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-5-24
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-24 14:56
Like RHP mentioned, you can use the same RC on both units, but you do have to link the RC to the aircraft every time you want to use a different unit. You would follow the binding procedure in teh P3S manual.

If you plan on getting another RC and letting a friend fly with you, you would want to keep distance between yourself and your friend, along with the aircrafts to minimize the RC interference.

Thank you!
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
United States

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-5-24 15:01

I will have to learn how to bind them. Thanks!
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-24 19:53
There is a tiny hidden button on the drone that will need to be pressed with a paper clip.
Please read the instructions, or do a simple search here or on the web, and you will be fine.  ;-)

Man, there is a trick to everything.  I will look that up too. I appreciate all the help!
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-25 04:27
I will have to learn how to bind them. Thanks!

You can refer to page 24 of the P3S manual:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

There's a YouTube video of the linking process as well:
2017-5-25
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-24 19:50
Yes, it's also nice to have multiple models on one radio. Anyway, the battery in the DJI RC lasts much longer than you would ever expect it to, in the beginning.

I was surprised at how long the little battery did last.  Just wished that  transmitter had the power and range that my 2.4 systems on 4.8v do. I've had only 1 rth. due to control signal loss and it was on the edge of my line of sight.  I took my 100cc Extra 330 out with my new Spektrum 2.4 and get twice the range wished I could get that kind of distance with the p3s but it is what it is.
2017-5-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-5-25 13:38
I was surprised at how long the little battery did last.  Just wished that  transmitter had the power and range that my 2.4 systems on 4.8v do. I've had only 1 rth. due to control signal loss and it was on the edge of my line of sight.  I took my 100cc Extra 330 out with my new Spektrum 2.4 and get twice the range wished I could get that kind of distance with the p3s but it is what it is.

Several forum members have flown their Phantom 3 Pro out to around 10K. Some use an antenna booster well others go stock OEM RC and drone. Not sure how they get the nerve to fly that far.

VLOS is what is suggested in recent regulations, but some drone pilots are obviously above and far beyond  the laws of their land. ;-)

Quite frequently, these ultra long flights are performed out above a large open body of water. This is where there are very few if any electrical, wifi, or other common interference of sygnal blocking which we can often experience when flying in the city.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-25 04:28
Man, there is a trick to everything.  I will look that up too. I appreciate all the help!

You might want to seriously consider browsing the owners manual.

Or in other terms, "RTFM"!! Read the flight manual. ;-)

It contains enough info to help you become a safer and proficiently educated DJI RC drone pilot.
Between reading through that pamphlet , and going completely through the app you're using, you will become much better acquainted with that awesome drone & flight kit you should be proud to own.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-25 23:25
You might want to seriously consider browsing the owners manual.

Or in other terms, "RTFM"!! Read the flight manual. ;-)

I am actually one of those guys who reads the instructions when I am putting something together. I had spent too much time taking something apart because I didn't put "screw D" in at the right time.
So I did read the owners manual but didn't really pay attention to the binding procedure as I didn't need it.
I did spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos on the DJI GO app till I had it down be heart.  It's amazing how much information and controls they can build into a small free app.
This DJI Forum is a god send for anything you want to know. I am a woodworker and there is a Forum for anything you need to know and I learned a lot.
Thanks for all of your help!
2017-5-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-26 08:47
I am actually one of those guys who reads the instructions when I am putting something together. I had spent too much time taking something apart because I didn't put "screw D" in at the right time.
So I did read the owners manual but didn't really pay attention to the binding procedure as I didn't need it.
I did spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos on the DJI GO app till I had it down be heart.  It's amazing how much information and controls they can build into a small free app.

Did you get your RC & drone bound and flying?
Wood working had been a small passion for me as well. Saw dust is my favorite byproduct.

Enjoy the kerf. Hahaha

Who knew there were so many kinds of joints either? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-5-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I'll just throw in my two cents since it's kinda related... this might help describe what is happening with the linking and binding process.  

The P3S is closely related to the P2 Vision series.  

I have a Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision Plus.  Both those ACs have something called a "range extender" which transmits and receives the 2.4 ghz signal and is a separate much smaller device independent of the main controller although it is attached to the main controller.  Because the P2V+ controller has a number of advantages over the straight Vision controller, I wanted to use it to fly my Vision.  So I linked the Vision to my P2V+ controller, meaning the Vision AC will now respond to the 5.8 signal from the P2V+ controller, and so will the P2V+ AC.  I can fly them one after the other with no re linking.  I can even fly both at the same time with one controller.

The FPV/telemetry doesn't work that way because it's a complex two way connection - so if I wanted FPV/telemetry on both, I would have to bind each AC to the range extender which holds the 2.4 ghz transceiver each time I wanted to fly them back to back.  So I bought a second Plus range extender for $50 on eBay, binded it to the Vision and attached it to my controller.  

Hence, I have one controller for the two ACs, I can use it to fly either AC at a moment's notice with no need to re link or re bind anything.  

Unfortunately the P3S has the 2.4 ghz transceiver inside the main controller, so this wouldn't work for a P3S re FPV/telemetry.  But it should work for just the linking of the 5.8 control signal if you wanted to simply fly one of the ACs old school.  
2017-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules