Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
127650 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kgjamison
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing!
2015-4-2
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

More great work Jim, the Hits keep on coming!!
2015-4-3
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-10 23:28
They should make these tutorials STICKY! We need a tutorial Stickt thread. Get on it moderator!

I totally agree and also suggested the same. A separate Tutorial section would be great. It would be easier also because you would not have to go through all of the Threads. Jim and Dundee have made some great contributions. Very helpful to me as well as others. Bob Marley just did a good one on the Inspire Charger and some basic electronics.

Have to go now, someone is upset that I spend to much time on the Forum and to much participation.        you are on quite a bit Dangair as well. You will be the next one to receive a complaint as to your participation.
2015-4-3
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-3 08:17
If this is your second Inspire I would really look at other potential causes.   Can you upload som ...

both live footage and when i review the data in laptops/tabs but when you process it, say you tube, the lag/skipping goes away. frustrating since go pros and other devices( olympus/nikons recordings) are fine when reviewed on my devices, just the inspire recordings. easier to chose clips i want if i can review recordings without the skipping/lags. thanks Jim.
2015-4-3
Use props
Dangair
Second Officer

Canada

rodger Posted at 2015-4-3 20:14
I totally agree and also suggested the same. A separate Tutorial section would be great. It would  ...

That's what forums are for, I seriously doubt someone will reach through the computer screen and punch me in the face! However, I did have one of my threads shut down because Ed thought it was an attack or something? A bit to controversial? I'm good with it.
I do think the site could be set up differently though, it could have different areas like tutorial section, maintenance, innovation, gripes, politics, video, swap meet, location etc. So that people would not be so burdened by crap like this. There is no place on the site to take an unrelated discussion, except to filthy up the site with yet another thread.
2015-4-3
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-4 01:48
That's what forums are for, I seriously doubt someone will reach through the computer screen and p ...

I agree, I don't like any flaming and try to avoid it or stop it. Let's keep it friendly and help each other out and better the hobby. There are enough outside forces trying to gouge us, we don't have to do it ourselves from the inside  
2015-4-3
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-4-3 21:17
both live footage and when i review the data in laptops/tabs but when you process it, say you tube, ...

Ah, that's an important bit of info.   I think your Inspire is fine, you're computer is just having trouble keeping up with the 4k footage.  This isn't uncommon.  

Was your last GoPro 4k or was the older 1080p model?   Big difference in trying to watch the footage.

Anyway, you will be fine if you just transcode the footage before you work with it.  My tutorials touch on this so maybe go back and watch.  Basically means do your color correction first and resave the files in a CODEC that's easier for your computer.   

If you're on Mac this is ProRes, if you're on a PC then I'm not sure what people are using these days but you could start a thread to get advice.

Let me know and I can help with some wording if needed.
2015-4-3
Use props
stephenbrink62
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

Nice 1 Jim, keep up the great work..
2015-4-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

stephenbrink62@ Posted at 2015-4-4 04:00
Nice 1 Jim, keep up the great work..

Hi Jim,

As I am on a Mac, I also find it really difficult editing my footage in FCPX.  I know it is my outdated computer... So, as for prores, is this a separate codec that I use to compress the files and then import in final cut OR is it an import setting in final cut?
My short term solution is to stop shooting in 4k and capture shorter videos.
Steps: shoot 1080p, shorter videos, import into prores or fcp?, edit, export exl, send to davinci for final color balancing and luring...  .???

Cheers!

Peter
2015-4-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-4 08:49
Hi Jim,

As I am on a Mac, I also find it really difficult editing my footage in FCPX.  I know it  ...

Sorry, I mean lutsing
2015-4-3
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-4 08:49
Hi Jim,

As I am on a Mac, I also find it really difficult editing my footage in FCPX.  I know it  ...

Good, being on Mac makes it soooo much easier to explain!

My main editing computer doesn't like the original 4k footage either so I  FIRST run the raw 4k Inspire footage through DaVinci, giving it the right look then downsizing to 1080P while exporting as ProResHQ.
Then just bring the ProResHQ footage into FCPx and you'll find it works great.

Keep shooting 4k as it's always good to oversample and downsize after the fact.
My MacBookPro on the other hand loves the 4k Inspire footage and I can work with it directly.   This is why some people will simply say to edit it in place.   If you have the CPU power to do so that's great, if you don't, then use the process above.

Hope this helps.

2015-4-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

Hi Jim,

I would love to import directly into Davinci but I can't upload the files directly from the card.  I am shooting with MP4 not mov, but neither one will upload into davinci...  Any suggestions ?  IE, how do I run the raw 4k footage through davinci?  Is it because I'm using the free davinci light version?

Peter
2015-4-3
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-4 10:22
Hi Jim,

I would love to import directly into Davinci but I can't upload the files directly from the ...

No, it should load no problem.   

I don't recommend doing it straight from the microSD though.   You should copy it to a hard drive first.

Also, if you're on a Mac there are exactly ZERO reasons to shoot MP4, you should be shooting MOV.   Same file/compression in the end but the Mac knows everything about MOV.
Have a look at the tutorial, I have it cued to the right spot:

2015-4-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

Yes, I always put the footage onto an external hard drive.  
Ok, I will make sure I am shooting in 4k, MOV format, log etc etc.  
I will try and upload to DaVinci but I am skeptical about the success of uploading it.
Anything else I should know about?  As I said, I was not able to upload to DaVinci, the files would not boldup to even select for import.
Thanks again...
2015-4-3
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-4 10:51
Yes, I always put the footage onto an external hard drive.  
Ok, I will make sure I am shooting in 4 ...

Might be that you were trying to ingest MP4.   If you follow the tutorial step by step there is no reason it shouldn't work.
2015-4-3
Use props
yusuk.hwangbo
New

South Korea

Thank you very much. this is really helpful.
2015-4-4
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,

I eventually got Final Cut Pro to work and extract still images from video.  I had to create a new User Account on the Mac Book and copy over all my data files, folders etc. from the original user account.  Has taken me about two days to sort out and transfer files, right pain in the butt.

Apple techie said it was the only thing he could suggest.  We more or less proved that there was a bug in FCP, but apparently it would be almost impossible to locate the code which was causing the problem.

Thanks  for taking the time to look into this FCP issue, it is appreciated.

Back to flying and improving my video recording now that I have my new Inspire.  Slightly worrying though as it dropped the GPS acquisition in its first maiden flight, but need to review JPEG raw still images for dead pixels.
Jim,  what are the DNG files created  when recording ?

2015-4-5
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Jim,

What do you think it means if there are lots of white pixels visible in Raw JPEG images, particularly noticeable on green grass background.  Just noticed this on images from my new Inspire Camera.    Think I will take some more stills tomorrow and review.  
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-6 04:01
Jim,

What do you think it means if there are lots of white pixels visible in Raw JPEG images, parti ...

Hey GB, glad you got it working.  Yeah, it's often something obscure like that in the end, definitely not common.

DNG files are RAW, uncompressed images, and by far the BEST starting point for editing.  But you need to be using Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or other high end processing software to work with them.

JPEG is already highly compressed and while works well for final output, is not a good acquisition format because it throws away 75% of your data before you even start editing.   As an end result this is okay because it only has to preserve what you have decided is important, but going in you want the entire tonal range and all of your options open.

As for the white dots, that could be compression.    Seems to come out worst shooting grass, where it can't find a way to simplify the image and ends up destroying it.   

The Inpsire images are interesting as they are so extreme.   When something looks great it looks amazing but when something just doesn't work, it's the worst thing you've ever seen.

Hopefully this will improve over time as they finetune the firmware.   Would love to see a high end camera come out for those who want it.   
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-6 04:01
Jim,

What do you think it means if there are lots of white pixels visible in Raw JPEG images, parti ...

Hey GB, glad you got it working.  Yeah, it's often something obscure like that in the end, definitely not common.

DNG files are RAW, uncompressed images, and by far the BEST starting point for editing.  But you need to be using Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or other high end processing software to work with them.

JPEG is already highly compressed and while works well for final output, is not a good acquisition format because it throws away 75% of your data before you even start editing.   As an end result this is okay because it only has to preserve what you have decided is important, but going in you want the entire tonal range and all of your options open.

As for the white dots, that could be compression.    Seems to come out worst shooting grass, where it can't find a way to simplify the image and ends up destroying it.    You can some of this in my third tutorial about troubled footage.   Check the DNG files and see if they appear in them as well.

The Inpsire images are interesting as they are so extreme.   When something looks great it looks amazing but when something just doesn't work, it's the worst thing you've ever seen.

Hopefully this will improve over time as they finetune the firmware.   Would love to see a high end camera come out for those who want it.   
2015-4-5
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you so much, this will help me a great deal.

May I ask a stupid question! I purchased the LUT's and downloaded the DaVinci software, but I'm not sure how to install the LUT's. I did email Nuemann, but they have never replied with any kind of support!

Your help would be most grateful.
Regards.
Mike.
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Muzzy Posted at 2015-4-6 05:40
Thank you so much, this will help me a great deal.

May I ask a stupid question! I purchased the LUT ...

Hi Mike,

Glad it helped!

Not a stupid question at all, particularly since I had to look it up myself!   I only install new LUTS every couple of years and then immediately forget how I did it!

If you open DaVinci Resolve and go into Project Settings (which I show in the tutorial when setting up a new project) there is a tab called LOOK UP TABLES (lut.)   In that you will see a button that says OPEN LUT FOLDER.   It will open in Finder and you can just copy the LUTs into it.   I suggest restarting DaVinci after that.
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Hey Everyone,
Check out my new video- Cliffs of Bondi!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Here's a "before & after" of my cliff shoot the other day.   

Notice that in the milky/boring before shot you still have all the detail in the whites, meaning you can see different tones in the whitecaps on the water.   No question it's not crushing the blacks as there is so little contrast.   This is what you want, for it to be as bright as you can without losing detail in the whites.   This will give you the most options in post.

Now look at the "after" and you can see I pushed the colors and contrast pretty hard.   I have intentionally let the shadows go below 0,, "crushing the blacks" a bit, but at least it was left up to my decision in post, not forced that way during the shoot.

As I mentioned on another post, if you find yourself having to brighten your footage in post you are most likely underexposing, which will add a lot of noise, terrible dynamic range and in general a pretty ordinary image.

2015-4-5
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 04:52
Hey GB, glad you got it working.  Yeah, it's often something obscure like that in the end, definit ...

Jim,

Does these white pixels mean that the camera is defective ?  
2015-4-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-6 18:54
Jim,

Does these white pixels mean that the camera is defective ?

Post an example and let's have a look.   If it's compression noise then it's nornal.
2015-4-6
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 18:59
Post an example and let's have a look.   If it's compression noise then it's nornal.

Ok Jim,  Will try and get out with the bird again and take some other stills and post for comment.
2015-4-6
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 18:59

Jim

Attached image for you to look at in regard to white pixels.

I will delete file after a few days.

Cheers

GB
2015-4-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-7 03:37
Jim

Attached image for you to look at in regard to white pixels.

Only looking on my iPhone, which isn't the most forensic approach, but can clearly see lots of white dots in the lower section.  

Strange thing is they don't look digital, they look like little flowers in the grass.   Are they what you are referring to or do you mean the incredibly fine grain that is almost imperceptible?   If you look at the camera lens through a magnifying glass can you see anything on it?

If those dots were created by the camera and weren't in the grass there is certainly something going on.   
Without flying, take a picture of something of solid color, maybe a dark bedsheet or something with some good light on it.

The image you took is too comlex and there are too many variables so you will need to be more specific and shoot something much simpler to see what's going on.
2015-4-6
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have read a lot of your post and I respect your opinion. I would like for you to see a video that I did for a friend of mine thats selling a property [url=16204 Andalucia Lane  Delray Beach Fl.: http://youtu.be/8Cp9ZTHTxcM]16204 Andalucia Lane. I would like your criticism and also your opinion of how I can do better.  Delray Beach Fl.: http://youtu.be/8Cp9ZTHTxcM[/url]
2015-4-6
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are a man that knows his cameras for the post I've read. The link below is a video I did for a friend of mine that is selling a property. I would like your criticism and your opinion on how I can do better. http://youtu.be/8Cp9ZTHTxcM y video was bright as I dint have a filter it came  broken from DJI.
2015-4-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-4-7 08:12
You are a man that knows his cameras for the post I've read. The link below is a video I did for a f ...

Had a look at the video.  Good job, they must be very happy with that.    As for criticism, you've already mentioned being a bit on the bright side with no ND, so I won't talk about exposure other than to say you could have used a faster shutter since you weren't moving fast enough for jello to be an issue.

As for the filming, you got some nice angles and moves.   You probably could have moved a bit faster to add a little energy.  

I think your biggest improvements would come in the edit.   In my opinion what you did in just under 6 minutes could have been much better done in about 90 seconds.   Knowing when enough is enough for each shot is important and if the viewer gets bored, they'll blame the house as being boring.   

The key is ALMOST satisfy their curiosity but cut it tight.   Never completley satistify them or they will get bored.   In other words, always leave them wanting more.

Also, cut around all the little movements and adjustments in the Inspire.     If it's going up smoothly for 6 seconds then has a small bump before finishing at 12 seconds, just use the first 6 and get out.   Show some variety, you can always use the last 6 seconds somewhere else.   

Also, if possible, tell a little story through the images.   Fly up the path and through the front door, then cut to the rise outside before a nice dip in the pool.  

Doesn't need to be a forensic demonstration of the house in architectural order, sell it on the most exciting aspects.

Maybe also add text supers around making points.   DUCTED AIR CON, HEATED POOL and so on.  

By the end the viewer won't have any choice to buy the house, even if they don't want one.   If your video does that then you've succeeded!   
2015-4-6
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-7 09:22
Had a look at the video.  Good job, they must be very happy with that.    As for criticism, you've  ...

Great thanks for your opinion
2015-4-6
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-7 05:37
Only looking on my iPhone, which isn't the most forensic approach, but can clearly see lots of whit ...

Jim,

Yes it is those white spots on the grass, noticeable when zooming into the image.

Thanks for your comments, really appreciate your time.  I will certainly take some more stills as you suggest and see if they appear again, if they do, the camera is going back.

Getting fed up with this now.  Not a lot to ask for really just a product that is good out of the box !!
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-7 18:52
Jim,

Yes it is those white spots on the grass, noticeable when zooming into the image.

Still could be nothing, you'll know for sure when you shoot a solid color.
2015-4-7
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-7 19:00
Still could be nothing, you'll know for sure when you shoot a solid color.

Jim,

This is real bizarre.  Took some more images just holding the aircraft with sold background colour and other images and there doesn't seem to be any sign of the white spots.

I am going to check again later with the aircraft in flight to see if that has some bearing.  Could it perhaps be vibrations when in  flight ?

Cheers
GB
2015-4-7
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-4 15:59
Might be that you were trying to ingest MP4.   If you follow the tutorial step by step there is no ...

Hey Jim,

Got it to work, no problem and easy as pie.  It seems it was the MP4 format that created the block. I blame the app for that as I can't get it to stay in mov and often forget to change it before shooting.
Another frustrating thing for me is how freaking slow my footage takes to work with in davinci or fcpx... Import is fast but when scrolling through timeline, it skips and jumps and has trouble catching up.  I was curious to see if it was my footage or my computer so I just rendered it for delivery and sent it to my hard drive.  Even the rendering was relatively quick.
The video turned out ok.  Smooth and it looks like I have the camera settings almost figured out.  Shooting in manual is tough as it is often impossible to shoot with a ss at 50 as it is too bright, even with the nd filter...
Anyway, thank you for your ongoing help and advice. If there are any suggestions on how to speed up the editing process once I'm in a program, I'm all ears!
Peter
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-8 05:22
Hey Jim,

Got it to work, no problem and easy as pie.  It seems it was the MP4 format that created ...

Hey Peter, glad it worked!

4k highly compressed files are inherently difficult to work with  unless you have massive CPU/GPU power so don't be frustrated by this, it's completely normal.   It's also one of the best reasons to transcode the vision first, so it becomes beautiful and easy to work with ProRes ASAP.   
2015-4-8
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-7 23:52
Jim,

This is real bizarre.  Took some more images just holding the aircraft with sold background  ...

Hey GB,

Keep testing and see if you can lock it down.   To me, the first image you posted with the white specs really appeared to organic, like rocks/flowers in the grass, not something created by the camera.   Are you saying that those without doubt were not real objects in the grass were appearing in shot after shot in different situations?   Or was your diagnosis from that one image?
2015-4-8
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-9 03:58
Hey Peter, glad it worked!

4k highly compressed files are inherently difficult to work with  unle ...

Hi Jim,

Please excuse me if you have already mentioned this, but... Transcode?  Is this a program that I run the raw footage into from the sd card and then import to DaVinci or fcp?
2015-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules