Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
127654 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-4-18 21:41
yes latest GP4black and only inspire clips are acting up. maybe because i dumped too many codecs in ...

I'm quite biased towards the Mac so if that's in the cards for you then you'll be very happy.   Will just work and you know what's what.   With PC it can be a vast wasteland of incompatible hardware/software and you need to spend more time customizing and less time working.

Get an iMac or MacBook Pro, get Final Cut x and you'll be working within minutes.   

Others will say the exact opposite, and for them that will be 100% correct, so take all advice (including mine) with a grain of salt and decide what works best for you.
2015-4-18
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

thanks a lot
2015-4-19
Use props
AirborneNinja
lvl.3

Qatar

Love my Macbook Pro 15" Retina. I had PC up until this laptop which I purchased january of this year and haven't looked back since! If you are in the creative industry Mac is the way to go.
2015-4-19
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

AirborneNinja Posted at 2015-4-19 19:58
Love my Macbook Pro 15" Retina. I had PC up until this laptop which I purchased january of this ye ...

Couldn't agree more!
2015-4-19
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.3

United States

Ok Jim, this is great. Although I am a little lost, you mention transcoding, Davinci Resolve, Premeire Pro, FCPx, and different file types. My question is what order does all of this take place? Do you edit your clips first then transcode then color grade? I am guessing the first step would be to transcode. This is where I am lost and I am a green as green can get with video editing.  If you could just for me state the process really simple without detail for example... 1. edit clips for length, 2. trancode, 3. color grade, 4. Lastly FCP-x or PPcc. I am hoping I am making some sense. Thank you tremendously for all of the help.
2015-4-20
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Hi DJeff1,

Excellent question, I just wish there were a straight answer!   Basically the process is determined by the computer power you have available to you.

For example:

My main editing machine is 5 years old and has a legacy operating system.   It is fine tuned for my main camera system and works great.   Only problem is it doesn't work well with native Inspire footage, it plays very slowly and is choppy, making it frustrating to edit.   So when I work with Inspire footage on this machine this is my process:
1. Bring all clips into DaVinci Resolve
2. Color correct and transcode (output) as 1080P ProRes files
3. Edit the color corrected ProRes files using Final Cut Pro v7 (which my system is tuned for and works great)

My other editing machine is a recent MacBookPro Retina that has the latest operating system and is running Final Cut x.   This system plays native Inspire footage while it's half asleep.    So when I'm editing on this machine I use the following process:

1. Import all clips into Final Cut Pro x
2. Trim them down and edit directly on the timeline

After editing I either:
3. Use the effects and color correction tools in FCPx and master
    OR
3a. Export the project (via XML) to DaVinci and color correct only the bits I have edited.  Since I'm only correcting a few seconds of each clip (what I used in the edit)  rather than the whole thing (raw footage) I can be much more specific and less conservative with my coloring choices.

So hope this helps clarify things a bit.   You need to work out how convenient editing will be.

Of course there are additional methods between the two.  For example, if you're using FCPx you can get the program to automatically make easy-to-edit proxy files for you, then switch back to the original media before exporting.    So the two methods above don't represent all the ways forward.

All the best,

Jim
2015-4-21
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-19 08:35
I'm quite biased towards the Mac so if that's in the cards for you then you'll be very happy.   Wi ...

i like the sound of working within minutes! thanks Jim. keep those cool tutorials and videos coming
2015-4-21
Use props
miketeel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, Jim for sharing what you have learned. I found the 1st tutorial on settings very helpful. The others which focused more post production in DaVinci was quite as helpful given I work in FCP.

Would love to learn more about flight techniques that are helpful turning ordinary shots into awesome shots. As well as dealing with tricky environments.
2015-4-21
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

miketeel Posted at 2015-4-22 11:11
Thanks, Jim for sharing what you have learned. I found the 1st tutorial on settings very helpful. Th ...

Scooter made an Inspire tutorial for FCPx which might help.  
Hmmm, never thought about a flying tutorial since there are much more experienced pilots than me, but I take your point about flying in relation to searching out the best shots.   I'll think about it.
2015-4-22
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Jim,

Please tell me know one just simply add a clip to one's project?  For the life of me, I just don't understand the layout of such an advanced piece of software.

Sorry for the absolutely stupid question, but, I'm desperately trying to evaluate Post options for myself...  :-)

Thanks !!!!
2015-4-22
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Australia

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-22 16:57
Jim,

Please tell me know one just simply add a clip to one's project?  For the life of me, I just d ...

Oeps - ok, found it.  Ignore! :-) :-)
2015-4-22
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-22 17:09
Oeps - ok, found it.  Ignore! :-) :-)

All good Graham, glad you found it!
2015-4-22
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Australia

Him, you are amazing dude!  You share completely, comment helpfully, and just a nice dude all round.  I've been trying to determine how best to address post production.  I think davinci is too complicated for me, but to run FCP I'll need to purchase another apple product.  Hehehe....for a 10 year Microsoft veteran its groundbreaking!
2015-4-22
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Australia

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-22 22:02
Him, you are amazing dude!  You share completely, comment helpfully, and just a nice dude all round. ...

Him = Jim LOL.....
2015-4-22
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-22 22:02
Him, you are amazing dude!  You share completely, comment helpfully, and just a nice dude all round. ...

Thanks for the kind words.  Always happy to help, I know what it's like to be passionate about a subject and want access to quick info.   

Just paying back for all the help and advice I've received over the years.

PC is great and there are plenty of options.  Adobe Premeire Pro or the less costly Premeire Elements would be a great choice.

2015-4-22
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-23 04:42
Thanks for the kind words.  Always happy to help, I know what it's like to be passionate about a s ...

Jim, sorry, but PC is?
2015-4-22
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-4-23 13:19
Jim, sorry, but PC is?

Sorry Graham, PC = Microsoft
2015-4-23
Use props
GrahamJ
Second Officer
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-23 16:15
Sorry Graham, PC = Microsoft

LOL - Sorry, I of all people should have got that.  Sorry, thought you where referring to a software package. :-)

Thanks Jim
2015-4-23
Use props
PeteGould
Second Officer

United States

Really great stuff, Jim - I keep steering people to this thread.  
2015-4-24
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-24 21:43
Really great stuff, Jim - I keep steering people to this thread.

Thanks Pete!   
2015-4-24
Use props
miketeel
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-22 16:07
Scooter made an Inspire tutorial for FCPx which might help.  
Hmmm, never thought about a flying tu ...

Can you help me find Scooter's FCPx tutorial. I've searched this forum and youtube but can't seem to find it.
2015-4-26
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

miketeel Posted at 2015-4-27 12:10
Can you help me find Scooter's FCPx tutorial. I've searched this forum and youtube but can't seem  ...

Here ya go!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=12184
2015-4-26
Use props
miketeel
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-27 12:56
Here ya go!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=12184

Thanks for the help!
2015-4-26
Use props
johnootz.cox
United States

Hey Jim,

what program do you use to edit still photos?

John
2015-4-30
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

johnootz.cox Posted at 2015-5-1 03:26
Hey Jim,

Lightroom 6
2015-4-30
Use props
johnootz.cox
United States

Thanks, I was just looking at that.  Looks like it's exactly what I need.  Thank you for the reply!
2015-4-30
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

johnootz.cox Posted at 2015-5-1 03:26
Hey Jim,

Hi John,

I tend to use Photoshop but mainly out of habit.  

I would agree that Lightroom is probably a much better choice if going in from scratch.
2015-4-30
Use props
twbigshap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Wow Jim you are the best! Thanks
2015-5-1
Use props
johnootz.cox
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-1 05:50
Hi John,

I tend to use Photoshop but mainly out of habit.  

Thanks Jim.  I have lots to learn....almost overwhelming.  What are your thoughts about the Phantom3?
2015-5-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

johnootz.cox Posted at 2015-5-2 05:37
Thanks Jim.  I have lots to learn....almost overwhelming.  What are your thoughts about the Phanto ...

It's an exciting world in there, have fun!   

I hope to try the P3 myself soon.    I think it has its place and is great for the price but the Inspire is still the gold standard.

I'll write more when I get the chance to fly it.

Jim
2015-5-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

twbigshap@gmail Posted at 2015-5-1 20:15
Wow Jim you are the best! Thanks

Cheers!  
2015-5-1
Use props
Renaat
lvl.4

Japan

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-2 05:59
It's an exciting world in there, have fun!   

I hope to try the P3 myself soon.    I think it has ...

Thinking at something very exclusive for the Phantom 3, but need some help: photos and detail of the vision camera.
2015-5-4
Use props
Renaat
lvl.4

Japan

Thanks a lot appreciating the filters.
2015-5-4
Use props
FromAdronesEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

Hello Jiim! I got my Inspire 1 last week and yesterday was my first flight test. I had the vision plus before this one.

But the picture i took yesterday in a sunny day, but like a 5 pm i notice all of then where extremely white and over expose.

I saw you vid and try it, but with no luck and also i had the ND filter.

I have the awb in the settings.

What should i do in other to get a good foto.

thanks in advance.
2015-5-6
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

FromAdronesEye Posted at 2015-5-6 23:56
Hello Jiim! I got my Inspire 1 last week and yesterday was my first flight test. I had the vision pl ...

Hi, I'm the IOS app there is a histogram and overexposure warning.  Use them to get the exposure correct.   If you watch through all my tutorials and read through this entire thread you should learn most of what you need.
2015-5-6
Use props
FromAdronesEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-7 03:59
Hi, I'm the IOS app there is a histogram and overexposure warning.  Use them to get the exposure c ...

Thanks for the reply!
2015-5-6
Use props
skydrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

took a morning walk with my inspire :-)

2015-5-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

skydrone Posted at 2015-5-8 02:45

https://youtu.be/zHCCFBjm5kU

Wow!   One of the best Inspire videos ever!   Brilliant, love the landscape and your choices.

Also, bravo on that 90 second opening shot!
2015-5-7
Use props
Dangair
Second Officer

Canada

skydrone Posted at 2015-5-8 02:45

https://youtu.be/zHCCFBjm5kU

Skydrone, nice job! and beautiful countryside too. where is it?
2015-5-8
Use props
I1d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 291634 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Jim,

Thanks so much for your contributions to the forum.  Had a question about exposure and manual settings in a 360 shot including a setting sun.  Manually exposing and getting things right on either side will blow out the sun area or massively underexpose the area not pointing directly to the sun.  I have the ND set and could get perfect exposure and setting for either case but dramatically wrong for others.  So I ended up switching out of manual.  There is a disconcerting transition when the system adjusts the exposure during the shot, but I found this less distracting vs just being under or over, there seems to be not enough dynamic range available.

So, question, what do you recommend for settings in such a case or would you just shoot in multiple shots with a cut each properly exposed (not attempting to mix the shot with the sun actually in the frame with one where it is out of frame?  Sometimes for narrative it's nice to have sun in frame (think top of a mountain when you are rotating around a peak, it's nice to get the full peak in the rotation.  But I find it a real challenge any time the actual sun is in frame.  Thanks for any insight you can offer!
2015-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules