Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
So I bought a drone without warranty?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
United States

I am new to drone flying in general and to DJI in particular. Two weeks ago I bought a refurbished Phantom 3S at the largest local electronics store, Fry's Electronics, which sells a wide range of drones. I bought the drone unaware of DJI's policy to refuse warranty to people who did not buy from a DJI reseller. Neither the packaging nor the store indicated, that I would be buying a drone without a warranty.

My question is, how am I as a consumer to know, that I have to go online before I make a purchase to find out whether my dealer is on the 'approved' list? Do you go online to find out whether your car dealer or household appliance dealer is on the approved list?

While I don't need warranty service right now, I find it disconcerting that I as a consumer am singled out by a manufacturer because I trusted that a drone sold by a major dealer is not covered by warranty and essentially left with an inferior product. How do other drone newbies find out that they have to go online every time they buy some bit or piece for their drone to find out whether the store happens to be on the 'approved' list? And how many of you have found out after the fact that their drone is not covered?

Finally, can I still buy DJI care or am i out of luck on that, too?

2017-5-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. Sorry, I can't answer your question but there's something I'm not clear on. You said it's a "refurbished Phantom" bought from a store. How did the store get refurbished drones to sell? If the drones are refurbished by DJI and sourced from DJI by the store, then surely that makes the store a reseller for warranty purposes? If refurbished by a 3rd-party, then yes - you take your chances.
2017-5-24
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
United States

It was supposedly a drone refurbished by DJI, not a 3rd party. Packaging looked like DJI retail, with a refurbished logo printed on the box.
2017-5-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

trggrhppylmbx Posted at 2017-5-24 17:30
It was supposedly a drone refurbished by DJI, not a 3rd party. Packaging looked like DJI retail, with a refurbished logo printed on the box.

OK, then I have to assume that there is a reselling arrangement in place between the store and DJI in order to get that stock. How were you advised that there is no warranty for an officially-refurbed product from that store? Regardless, it doesn't sound right and I would certainly be questioning that with the store and with DJI.
I hope you get something sorted.
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry you are experiencing difficulties. Please refer to our policy. warranty.png
You can check the DJI authorize retail store here : http://www.dji.com/where-to-buy.
As for the DJI Care, it can be purchased for the product that has not been activated or has been avtivated for less than 48 hours.
Otherwise, you will need to do the video verification. Here is the link for your reference. https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/customerupload
2017-5-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-24 18:49
We are sorry you are experiencing difficulties. Please refer to our policy.[view_image]
You can check the DJI authorize retail store here : http://www.dji.com/where-to-buy.
As for the DJI Care, it can be purchased for the product that has not been activated or has been avtivated for less than 48 hours.

Nice to know Mindy - and I'm glad I'm not in North America then. But how does a store go about getting stock of DJI officially-refurbed units for sale if they aren't an authorised dealer? Surely by default they become 'authorised''?
2017-5-24
Use props
HWCM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-24 18:49
We are sorry you are experiencing difficulties. Please refer to our policy.[view_image]

I may be wrong, but I think this is illegal in the US.
2017-5-24
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Maybe it's like buying a used car.  It you buy it from an authorized dealer, then there is a warranty.  But if you buy it from a Used Car Lot, then there is no warranty other than what that car lot has to offer.
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

djordan2 I understand that. However, the question is, how am I supposed to know that the biggest electronics chain in our area is not an authorized dealer? Do you check whether a dealer is authorized for this specific brand every time you buy something? Fry's is certainly not a used car lot. They are authorized dealer for a lot of brands from TV to computer parts. That DJI is the one brand they are not authorized for is not something I should have suspected, in my opinion.
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

@DJIMindy the question is not what your policy is like, but how I am supposed to know that a mega-electronics and drone dealer, who is authorized for thousands of brands, happens not to be authorized for this one. Do you check before every purchase whether a dealer is authorized to sell the product? Also, most brands warranty products even if they are not sold from authorized dealers. Thanks for the info about DJIcare.
2017-5-25
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Fry's sells a lot of refurbished manufacturer items...   I wonder if this is typical for the other manufacturers products as well?
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
United States

I've bought a lot of stuff at Fry's over the years. Never had a problem with a warranty claim with a manufacturer, even with a refurb, which is why it did not even occur to me to check whether Fry's was a reseller for DJI and whether DJI would warranty things bought at Frys. Are they saying that their own retail packaged drones bought at Fry's are inferior to an identical retail packaged drone bought from an authorized retailer? And if so, why are they making drones that are inferior for sale at non-approved resellers?
2017-5-25
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

i still wonder why they do not warranty non dji authorized resellers, if it's in an unopened box... but i guess it's fear of places selling bad birds and then people claiming warranty on them?  I agree, it should not be allowed by law, but again, DJI needs some protection as well.. cannot judge without all the facts....
An option is to check if they sell a replacement plan right at the store you got it at, or check if there's an insurer that would insure it as personal property.... The DJI protection plans are good, but quite pricey...
(I just checked authorized dealers, and it seems that internet stores are not listed, as it's all map based....  perhaps only if I checked the actual location of the dealer headquarters? - that would be nice to fix, and add "internet stores" as a "state" or something like that.....
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
United States

Fry's protection plans are ridiculous, just like any other electronics retailers. Buying a $1.00 chewing gum? Can we sell you a $0.50 replacement plan with an exclusion for chewing damage? My take on it is if it came in an original DJI box it must be covered.
Also it appears DJI does not want internet resellers, as they want you to buy from their own store where they make a lot more profit. The other stores in the area are also only second class resellers, the nearest actual DJI store is 50 miles away, though I live in one of the most densely populated areas in the country. And given Best Buys well deserved horrible reputation my options are pretty slim.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Mavic Pro, but now I don't know whether my preferred online store is even an authorized reseller and I know my preferred local store is not, so I have shelved the project.
2017-5-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Just my $0.02 again, because DJI haven't clarified my question. How does a store get DJI-refurbished Phantoms to sell if DJI don't consider them an 'authorised dealer'?
Otherwise, has anyone queried Fry on what warranty they offer for them (other than their protection plan)?
2017-5-25
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
United States

Off of Fry's website...  Not much help...

Warranty Information
Please write to Fry's Main Office for warranty information on products purchased at Frys.com:

Fry's Electronics
600 East Brokaw Road
San Jose, CA 95112

Thank you!
Most manufacturers will not honor warranties for items shipped overseas or to Canada.
If you do not receive an email from us within 24 hours of placing your order, please email a friendly Customer Service Associate at service@cs.frys.com.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-25 16:34
Just my $0.02 again, because DJI haven't clarified my question. How does a store get DJI-refurbished Phantoms to sell if DJI don't consider them an 'authorised dealer'?
Otherwise, has anyone queried Fry on what warranty they offer for them (other than their protection plan)?

There are generally two types of dealers, direct dealers and sub dealers. Direct dealers get their stock get it (as the name dictates) directly from DJI, while the sub dealers get their stock from other dealers, direct or other subs. When you start to consider the latter for stock, it would be difficult to determine what's verified good product for that region or may or may not have "fallen off the truck", sort of speak. The quality of the sub dealer stock cannot be verified by DJI given that the stock wasn't supplied by them in the first place.
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

I can't imagine Fry's being a sub dealer at the volume they are moving. I also don't think Fry's sells anything that's 'fallen off the truck'. Also, I would understand if DJI would sue a dealer for selling stolen merchandise, but to punish your customers for potentially shady dealers is bad customer service. Again, if I buy from some shady online site I would somewhat understand DJI's stance, but with purchase from a massive electronics chain that has done business in the area for decades a customer should be in the clear.

Finally, if you really want your customers to not buy from unauthorized dealers, please make it clear on the box. A big sticker 'Verify online that this dealer is authorized. No warranty from unauthorized dealers' on the box should be the minimum and also would be a much better deterrent for shady dealers than to punish the customer instead of the shady dealer.

Also, a retail packaged DJI drone is the same quality everywhere, it does not magically become inferior because it is sold through a large chain which happens not to have a contract with DJI. Almost every other electronics brand honors warranty on all regular retail merchandise, because quality is not really a problem. My guess is that the real reason is that Fry's or other dealers take 25% of the total sales price or more off the top, which DJI would rather make themselves by selling through the web store.

I have my reasons, though, not to buy from said web store. So, DJI team, what online stores are authorized - or how do I find out which ones are, as your website seems to show only retail locations?
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

Weird thing is I am really having fun with drone flying and I want to trade up to a more capable drone. I also like the Phantom a lot, even though I was burned buying it. However, I don't want to get burned again, especially not with a $1500 plus purchase, and I am not going to buy from Best Buy or Target, as I have had bad experiences with both. And as I have zero experience buying direct from DJI and have read a number of negative reviews of the online store I will also not buy from the web store. I want a dealer I can trust, and at the moment I don't know which of the online retailers I can trust. So, DJI team, can you help me out?
2017-5-25
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
United States

http://www.dji.com/where-to-buy  You can select continent/country and no state and use the search function to check if a site is an authorized dealer...   Many storefronts also have online stores like Best Buy, Target, Cabelas, etc        
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

pasaytenpete, I won't buy expensive electronics from Best Buy or Target, online or in store. I was specifically thinking about B&H and Amazon, both of which I buy from frequently. After your tip B&H appears to be my best bet.

I found the reviews about the DJI store, btw. In several cases they appear to have shipped two drones when the web session glitched and people are having a very hard time returning the surplus drones and getting the extra $1000+ charge removed from their credit card. Some of the cases appear to be still unresolved.
2017-5-25
Use props
trggrhppylmbx
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

Note, as I can't edit the previous post: Things like double shippings can happen, I know that as well as everyone else, who works in IT. However, any online store must have a resolution process to remove double charges and accept returns quickly. If that happened to me at Amazon I'd have the surplus shipment on its way back in a matter of hours and a complete resolution in 2-3 days.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans64143ce6
lvl.1
United States

I've seen dji drones in Wal-Mart before. Dont know if they are refurbished or new, but Im sure they dont sell you a warrenty.
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules