landed in water
1632 22 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I want to buy a P3 Standard that the guy says landed in the water and it was only about 30 seconds before he got it out.
He said that the battery was fried and he didn't want to spend the money on a new battery to test the drone to see if it still works.

So he is selling it for parts.

If a P3 is submerged  less than a minute, is it a guarantee that the motors and internal electronics (ie motherboard, gps) will be fried?
I mean, they get rained on, right?

Is there a chance that this P3 Standard will be ok?

Thanks in advance guys!  Ray
2017-5-25
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Sure, but a  lot depends if it went completely under and if any attempt in drying it was made.  Without knowing any of this I'd offer $5.  If the battery is fried, I'm sure there is other damage as well.
2017-5-25
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I agree with WD9EON.  It definitely worth something, but just maybe not as a flying drone. Lots of good parts.  It also depends on if it was salt water or not.  Personally, I'd pay $25.00 for it, maybe as high as $50.00.  But I'd buy it with the expectation of it  not ever flying again. If by change it was okay, then you hit the jackpot.
2017-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If it was salt water, it's worth nothing.  $5 if it was fresh water.   Save your money for something that works.
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-25 05:54
If it was salt water, it's worth nothing.  $5 if it was fresh water.   Save your money for something that works.

You don't goof around do you? LOL.  I was hoping that it could be salvaged, but from your reply, it doesn't sound too good.
OK, I will keep on looking. Thank you!!!
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-5-25 04:54
Sure, but a  lot depends if it went completely under and if any attempt in drying it was made.  Without knowing any of this I'd offer $5.  If the battery is fried, I'm sure there is other damage as well.

He is actually asking for $80. Maybe he thinks somebody who knows nothing will buy it.

That's why I like forums like this.
Thank you for the reply my friend!
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2017-5-25 05:36
I agree with WD9EON.  It definitely worth something, but just maybe not as a flying drone. Lots of good parts.  It also depends on if it was salt water or not.  Personally, I'd pay $25.00 for it, maybe as high as $50.00.  But I'd buy it with the expectation of it  not ever flying again. It by change it was okay, then you hit the jackpot.

Actually he is asking $80. Maybe I will offer $25 and see what sort of parts I can salvage.
We always need parts right?

Thank you for the reply my friend. Safe flying!
2017-5-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Lets give a word of caution ...

I have on my shelf a beautiful JR radio that was top of the line in the early 1980's. Cost me a small fortune in those days.

My Ex Wife left it in the shed till I went back to collect with all my other gear ..... the radio was found to not work reliably. I gave it to guy I knew who was ex McGregor from the Service DEpt who handled JR in UK.

He cleaned it up but made a plain statement.

Corrosion was there and even having cleaned and replaced some items ... because corrosion had started - it was only time before it failed. That corrosion wasn't from saltwater ... it had never been immersed.

My point is how much trust can you put in the aircraft after having been dunked ?

Second - if the battery 'fried' then that means the water was not so clean or fresh ... I had a model fall into the lake at side of our flight site few days ago. It took at least 10mins to get it out ... all that time the battery was immersed. OK its a standard Rhino 3S LiPo .... not a DJI one with extra electronics ... but my point is - that battery dried out and so far still performs. Even the Rx in the model is OK.

Spare parts - OK .... but fly it again ? My opinion is pass on it...

Nigel
2017-5-25
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-25 07:09
You don't goof around do you? LOL.  I was hoping that it could be salvaged, but from your reply, it doesn't sound too good.
OK, I will keep on looking. Thank you!!!

Good man!  Wise decision!
2017-5-25
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

They do not fly in the rain either. Some may have been caught in the rain and made it back, but by no means should you assume it is waterproof, it is not. The time doesn't matter. Do you actually think if you take your hair dryer and dip in your bathtub for just a couple seconds it would be ok? It is instant, and none of the components inside the phantom, or outside for that matter have any protection against moisture. I understand you are looking at it as a bargain, but I wouldn't waste your money. Just my opinion. I think you would risk just burning up more components and spending more money, I may be wrong.
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-5-25 10:42
They do not fly in the rain either. Some may have been caught in the rain and made it back, but by no means should you assume it is waterproof, it is not. The time doesn't matter. Do you actually think if you take your hair dryer and dip in your bathtub for just a couple seconds it would be ok? It is instant, and none of the components inside the phantom, or outside for that matter have any protection against moisture. I understand you are looking at it as a bargain, but I wouldn't waste your money. Just my opinion. I think you would risk just burning up more components and spending more money, I may be wrong.

No, you are not wrong. Not according to all the other replies I have gotten!
Yep, I think I will take a pass on the water logged drone and look for some other crashed P3 for the parts etc. Thanks!!!
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-5-25 09:40
Lets give a word of caution ...

I have on my shelf a beautiful JR radio that was top of the line in the early 1980's. Cost me a small fortune in those days.

Everything you said is right in line with all of the other opinions. I will avoid this drone like the plague!
Thank you for the feedback. Ray
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I wouldn't recommend using a water damaged unit.
2017-5-25
Use props
Simon123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20062 ft
Australia

I agree with all the comments, best stay away from it because the reliability is now in question and for any aircraft this is something that should never be comprimised...

In saying that however, I also have a Zerotech Dobby pocket drone, whilst doing a fade away shot above a swimming pool it decided to keep going on its return and landed in the water, the motors kept going for about 10 seconds until it submerged, then they stopped and I managed to reach it in around 20 seconds (slowly sinking to the bottom). I immediately removed the battery then shook it to get the excess water out, after allowing sometime to air-dry I lightly sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner.... The battery was damaged and couldnt be reused, so I tried a brand new battery and to my amazement it worked, all motors fired up, my phone detected the wi-fi signal and the camera and all functions worked perfectly.... I ended buying a new battery and havent had an issue with it since...! I'm sure this is an exception to the norm and again I'm not saying that anything electrical which is submerged can be trusted but thought I'd share a similar story where I couldnt believe my luck..
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
United States

Simon123 Posted at 2017-5-25 21:01
I agree with all the comments, best stay away from it because the reliability is now in question and for any aircraft this is something that should never be comprimised...

In saying that however, I also have a Zerotech Dobby pocket drone, whilst doing a fade away shot above a swimming pool it decided to keep going on its return and landed in the water, the motors kept going for about 10 seconds until it submerged, then they stopped and I managed to reach it in around 20 seconds (slowly sinking to the bottom). I immediately removed the battery then shook it to get the excess water out, after allowing sometime to air-dry I lightly sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner.... The battery was damaged and couldnt be reused, so I tried a brand new battery and to my amazement it worked, all motors fired up, my phone detected the wi-fi signal and the camera and all functions worked perfectly.... I ended buying a new battery and havent had an issue with it since...! I'm sure this is an exception to the norm and again I'm not saying that anything electrical which is submerged can be trusted but thought I'd share a similar story where I couldnt believe my luck..

With luck like that you should buy a lottery ticket!
2017-5-25
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

The shell would be OK and the landing gear etc. so would the props. That is about all you can rely on. If you get it for the price of those parts you are neutral.

After that some of the other parts may be OK but (big BUT) they could not be relied on as they could fail due to the water damage.
2017-5-25
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

All non critical non flight control parts are worth having .... frame, props, etc.

The electronics are questionable - but again - any crashed model is going to be questionable ...

Thinking on it . A crashed model will likely have damaged shell / legs etc. So if its shell / legs etc. - the water one is better !

Nigel
2017-5-25
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Simon123 Posted at 2017-5-25 21:01

That's a good story! I don't blame you a bit for trying it. You didn't have that much to lose. That is where in my mind you have to decide yourself if you are willing to take the risk. As for the phantoms, most of the time you are looking at anywhere from $500-$700 at risk if you lose it. To me it is not worth it, but there might be those that don't mind giving it a shot. Not discounting your pocket drone at all, but I imagine the cost wasn't anywhere close to a phantom correct? Yeah, there is always a chance it would work, but like you said it couldn't be trusted.
2017-5-26
Use props
Simon123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20062 ft
Australia

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-25 21:04
With luck like that you should buy a lottery ticket!

Not usually that lucky with my equipment so yes, on this occasion I should have tried continuing my luck on the lottery!
2017-5-28
Use props
fans67772107
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8865 ft
United States

put my PA St.  in swim pool. 10 seconds in water. Motherboard & battery ruined. Replaced both. Camera unhurt. only problem now is it doesn't have any Intel le
2017-6-5
Use props
fans67772107
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8865 ft
United States

Intelligent Flight modes: Home or Coarse locks: etc. Don't know how 2 get email back.
2017-6-5
Use props
fans773c6c19
New

United States

I would definely not buy it but keep looking for parts!
2017-6-5
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

I put my first CP electric heli in a pond, when it went in I was wide open throttle inverted. Fried all of the electronics. Speed control had major damage on the boards gyro out for the count, Motor was toast not only shorted but internally fractured from being hot to instant cold from the water. Receiver shorted because I was trying to recover the craft as it submerged I fly all of my crashes to the ground. Main battery was fine, in those days I ran a separate receiver battery which was also junked.  Then there was the airframe damage but I did rebuild and fly again.  Water and electronics no good. Crashed the same you can count on buying a bunch of junk and a few good parts don't ask how I know. Usually not worth the initial asking price. Always figure electronics as junk because it's not like a car or boat. Aircraft fall from the sky and hit hard including water should have seen the tail boom on my Align  I knew it was done when the carbon fiber mains exploded on contact.
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules