Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Potential problem with spark
12Next >
6234 69 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think its a huge mistake on the part of DJI not to include prop guards with the $499.00 unit. DJI has designed a machine that turns on with facial recognition a foot from the operators face with no protection for the operators face and eyes? Part of my duties at work is to identify potential harmful situations and when I watched the presentation live the alarm bells went off in my head!! DJI is just asking for troubles. It's still not to late for them to throw a set of prop guards in each box before they ship.
2017-5-25
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yikes. Yeah, with hand launching/landing and close-proximity facial recognition features, I would assume prop guards would be standard. Never know when these things will go haywire.
2017-5-25
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.3

United States

Agreed. That was the first thing I said to myself as well. Dumb move not to include the prop guards. They probably cost DJI just pennies. It reminds me of the recent incident on a United Airlines flight. Where they were overbooked a flight. They offered passengers $500 to take another flight. No one bit, so what did they do? They forced a passenger off and it cost them millions in stock loss and litigation. Sometime the answers are so simple but greed has a way of blinding companies of their stupidity. What United should have done is offered $600, then $700, then $800 and keep going up by $100 until 20 people raise thier hand - trust me that for just a few more hundred dollars it would have saved them millions. When I heard about that incident, I laughed at the stupidity and how simple the answer was. Companies set rules and give their employees no wiggle room to use their best judgement. this is why when you call almost any large company, you end of talking to some $2.00 /per hour guy named Bob (yeah right) in India reading off a script. They're robots who are scared to death to be anything other than the human robots they're told to be. They are trained not to think for themselves in simple fear of losing their jobs. I don't blame Bob (Bobeeesh), I blame the stupidity of the companies who put up these call centers and the way they train these employees as the first line of communication for these companies. Sorry I'm ranting...

In almost every large company you have one individual who makes the final decision. Who ever that is at DJI, they are not thinking about ramifications but rather with dollar signs. Any company that puts profit before safety ends up like Comcast - voted worse company in the world. DJI isn't far behind in customer satisfaction and I'm sure they don't want that prize. Unfortunately we live in a world where the right hand isn't talking to the left. I doubt very much that the person who made this and other decisions for DJI isn't paying attention to what customers are saying - otherwise they wouldn't be known as the best drone manufacturer with one of the worst custom service reputations. Just my two cents.
2017-5-25
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

CheckYourSix Posted at 2017-5-25 06:59
Agreed. That was the first thing I said to myself as well. Dumb move not to include the prop guards. They probably cost DJI just pennies. It reminds me of the recent incident on a United Airlines flight. Where they were overbooked a flight. They offered passengers $500 to take another flight. No one bit, so what did they do? They forced a passenger off and it cost them millions in stock loss and litigation. Sometime the answers are so simple but greed has a way of blinding companies of their stupidity. What United should have done is offered $600, then $700, then $800 and keep going up by $100 until 20 people raise thier hand - trust me that for just a few more hundred dollars it would have saved them millions. When I heard about that incident, I laughed at the stupidity and how simple the answer was. Companies set rules and give their employees no wiggle room to use their best judgement. this is why when you call almost any large company, you end of talking to some $2.00 /per hour guy named Bob (yeah right) in India reading off a script. They're robots who are scared to death to be anything other than the human robots they're told to be. They are trained not to think for themselves in simple fear of losing their jobs. I don't blame Bob (Bobeeesh), I blame the stupidity of the companies who put up these call centers and the way they train these employees as the first line of communication for these companies. Sorry I'm ranting...

In almost every large company you have one individual who makes the final decision. Who ever that is at DJI, they are not thinking about ramifications but rather with dollar signs. Any company that puts profit before safety ends up like Comcast - voted worse company in the world. DJI isn't far behind in customer satisfaction and I'm sure they don't want that prize. Unfortunately we live in a world where the right hand isn't talking to the left. I doubt very much that the person who made this and other decisions for DJI isn't paying attention to what customers are saying - otherwise they wouldn't be known as the best drone manufacturer with one of the worst custom service reputations. Just my two cents.

United did offer $800.
2017-5-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CheckYourSix Posted at 2017-5-25 06:59

Just imagine the bad press DJI is going to get the first time someone doesn't calibrate the IMU and or compass and the spark sees there face and takes off at full speed at the operators eyeballs? And as sure as the sun will rise tommorow, it will happen....
2017-5-25
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So I guess the next step would be to go to the hardware store an buy safety glasses.  They would probably protect you much better than the prop guards.
2017-5-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Also, I can't help but notice in all the spark videos DJI has produced, including the live event that the spark has prop guards on. This tells me the are
2017-5-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed that in all the spark videos, including the live event yesterday, the spark had prop guards on. This tells me DJI is aware of the danger to there staff but not your average consumer?
2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Yup, Not only throw in the prop guards but free safety glasses,  and Michael Jackson white glove. lol
2017-5-25
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Im more surprised that it does not come with a controller.
2017-5-25
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-25 12:39
Im more surprised that it does not come with a controller.

You were supposed to be able to buy the Mavic without a controller too. They can be flown without them, just on a limited range.
2017-5-25
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am more surprised that you have not posted the same comments on other DJI products.  We rely on the pilot in charge to take care of the flight of the craft and fly in a responsible manner.  We cannot prevent all accidents and rely on the pilot to be the ultimate decision maker.  We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.  The Mavic is a a much more dangerous craft close in.  Please take some personal responsibility.  You have not even flown the Spark, I have.  When you get a chance then post your opinions.  Until then this is just trolling and you know what our policy is about that.
2017-5-25
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-5-25 14:00
I am more surprised that you have not posted the same comments on other DJI products.  We rely on the pilot in charge to take care of the flight of the craft and fly in a responsible manner.  We cannot prevent all accidents and rely on the pilot to be the ultimate decision maker.  We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.  The Mavic is a a much more dangerous craft close in.  Please take some personal responsibility.  You have not even flown the Spark, I have.  When you get a chance then post your opinions.  Until then this is just trolling and you know what our policy is about that.

Any of the other DJI products are not advertised as being launch with facial recognition technology from a persons hand!!!! Am I the only person that doesn't see the danger in this? After your comment about me trolling I'm going to enjoy saying " I told you so" after the first of many people lose an eye hand launching there new spark with no prop guards.
2017-5-25
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

A lot of potential users do not know, the drone needs to be fully charged before launching it. They don't know, the drone will land when it's battery gets to critical level. They probably don't know, it will return home and at the RTH altitude which may not be able to clear the surrounding obstacles. I am really worried.
2017-5-25
Use props
dgc4rter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8717 ft
United Kingdom

What I'm curious about is, what's going to happen when you've got the obligatory group of Japanese tourists all launching their Sparks at Ground Zero in NYC?
2017-5-26
Use props
dgc4rter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8717 ft
United Kingdom

Is this why you're locking your products down  to the new GEO system update and requiring everyone to re-activate and register their drone? Now here's a contradiction if ever I saw one!
2017-5-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

trance728- Posted at 2017-5-25 12:40
You were supposed to be able to buy the Mavic without a controller too. They can be flown without them, just on a limited range.

Yes you can. However that one is not sold as standard package.
2017-5-26
Use props
MasterJack
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ed, I agree - if an operator does something stupid with his/her drone - he/she is to blame. I think the concern here is not operator error but craft error. If something should happen internally and the spark starts flying towards the person - that is the danger they are talking about.  I know this can happen with any drone but most drones are not launched withing a couple of feet of the operator. I ordered the kit which does come with them but it's not a bad idea to include them with the base unit. It could save a lot of eyes and grief for both DJI and the customer.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on posts - it's nice to hear from DJI on some of these concerns.

Regards,

John
2017-5-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MasterJack Posted at 2017-5-26 08:02
Ed, I agree - if an operator does something stupid with his/her drone - he/she is to blame. I think the concern here is not operator error but craft error. If something should happen internally and the spark starts flying towards the person - that is the danger they are talking about.  I know this can happen with any drone but most drones are not launched withing a couple of feet of the operator. I ordered the kit which does come with them but it's not a bad idea to include them with the base unit. It could save a lot of eyes and grief for both DJI and the customer.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on posts - it's nice to hear from DJI on some of these concerns.

That's pretty much what I was saying, and to have someone accuse me of trolling with me being genuinely concerned about operator safety just blows my mind.
2017-5-26
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Easy guys,

DJI is already taking measures.
Next week on sale!!!!
The DJI Safe your Head first.

DJI safety first.jpg
2017-5-27
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-27 09:58
Easy guys,

I want one!!!!!

dont know if i can get my arms through the straps tho  
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-27 09:58
Easy guys,

Lol!!! Funny stuff, people are going to need one of these hand launching 1 foot from ones face. Scary though, what if the spark decides it doesn't like your face?
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mallettron Posted at 2017-5-27 10:18
I want one!!!!!

dont know if i can get my arms through the straps tho

I like Asian women too.
2017-5-27
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

And this is why you need even warning signs on bottles of water. Come on let Darwin do his job.
2017-5-27
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

AACY Posted at 2017-5-27 11:05
And this is why you need even warning signs on bottles of water. Come on let Darwin do his job.

Totally agree with you.
We have reached the point of a rubber tile society

However if you look at the DJI target group.
A whole generation is gonna get slaughtered IF they don't wear the DJI Safe your Head helmet.
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-5-27 11:05

I defiantly agree with you but a water doesn't have 4 propellers spinning 1000s of rpm's inches from your face?
2017-5-27
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
China

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-27 12:45
I defiantly agree with you but a water doesn't have 4 propellers spinning 1000s of rpm's inches from your face?

I see what you mean, but my whole deal is that if you put your face close to it, is solely responsability of the user. The problem is that human stupidity has no limits, and we have today to pamper people with huge lack of common sense. And as I always said, there is nothing more dangerous than an ignorant with its own initiative.

Cheers!
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-5-27 20:40
I see what you mean, but my whole deal is that if you put your face close to it, is solely responsability of the user. The problem is that human stupidity has no limits, and we have today to pamper people with huge lack of common sense. And as I always said, there is nothing more dangerous than an ignorant with its own initiative.

Cheers!

again, I agree but the $499.00 spark does not come with prop guards and yet it's accually designed to be held in the palm of your hand, then raised up toward the operators face, then when the spark recognizes the operators face the motors start automatically? If this isn't the ultimate recipie for disaster then I don't know what is??? Not only should it come with non-removable prop guards it should also come with eye protection......
2017-5-28
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-26 08:14
That's pretty much what I was saying, and to have someone accuse me of trolling with me being genuinely concerned about operator safety just blows my mind.

It actually blows my mind that a DJI rep would even name call.. I think this is very unprofessional and you should have never been talked to that way. ESPECIALLY from a representative of DJI.. I have been on these forums for a long time and have never seen a moderator name call. I would never do it and I don't even work for DJI..  He's supposed to represent the company..
2017-5-28
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
China

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-28 09:49
again, I agree but the $499.00 spark does not come with prop guards and yet it's accually designed to be held in the palm of your hand, then raised up toward the operators face, then when the spark recognizes the operators face the motors start automatically? If this isn't the ultimate recipie for disaster then I don't know what is??? Not only should it come with non-removable prop guards it should also come with eye protection......

Now I see better your point. Yes you are right,the prop guards should be a must, or maybe that the device only allows to use the face recognition feature with prop guards installed. Also, since it has stereo-optic vision system should only allow activation by having the face at a certain distance.
2017-5-28
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Agree that prop guards should come with the base product.  The targeted market  is not safety conscious or drone-savvy.
2017-5-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-31 07:35
Agree that prop guards should come with the base product.  The targeted market  is not safety conscious or drone-savvy.

I'm afraid DJI is going to wish they had included the prop guards, I know that I'm not hand launching my spark without them.
2017-5-31
Use props
MasterJack
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Spark Deployment Barrier

Spark Deployment Barrier
2017-5-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

As the old saying goes" it's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye"
2017-5-31
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Does it have warning label on package about age restriction of launching Spark? I am worries if Spark is given to a 4 years old or for that matter any one who is not aware of its risk.
2017-5-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-31 15:29
Does it have warning label on package about age restriction of launching Spark? I am worries if Spark is given to a 4 years old or for that matter any one who is not aware of its risk.

most people will be fine hand launching the spark, the problem is any idiot can buy one...
2017-6-7
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-31 15:29

There is a warning in the safety guidelines saying it is not a toy and should not be used by anyone younger than 15 years of age.
2017-6-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-12 02:36
There is a warning in the safety guidelines saying it is not a toy and should not be used by anyone younger than 15 years of age.

I'm glad to here this, the problem is not everyone follows the rules.
2017-6-12
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-6-12 02:58
I'm glad to here this, the problem is not everyone follows the rules.

Lol, too bad Darwin behavior will punish us all at some point.. Once something bad does happen again (and it will), the media will have another jab at evil drones.. Smh
2017-6-12
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand the concern - buy safety glasses.

Many things that are dangerous don't come with eye protection.  Things like; lawn mowers, weed wackers, hand guns, b.b guns, spray paint, deep fryers, cooking pans, small bouncing balls, forks (you put them really close to your eyes), baby powder, high pressure water hose nozzles, safety glasses (you put them really close to your eyes), etc, etc, etc, etc...

It's an open and obvious danger.

2017-6-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules