Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Initial impression of the goggles
12Next >
5780 50 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I received the new DJI goggles a couple of days ago (May 23rd) and after using them a bit thought I'd share my opinions on them. I bought them to be able to fly in sunlight without using a hood / mount combination and to get what amounts to a larger / more detailed display than my iPad Mini 4 provides. Based on some of the reviews I saw I was concerned about the goggles' weight and the possibility of them making me nauseous, and your mileage may vary on those but I've shared my experiences below:

Overall Experience: This is where the goggles really excel and no video posted online can do it justice. Suffice it to say that the goggles really provide an immersive "you-are-there" experience that makes you feel like you're seeing things from the drone's perspective in a way that no phone or tablet has done for me before.

Display: The display provides far more detail than my iPad Mini 4 and does a much better job than my tablet / hood combination of blocking sunlight. I do get a small amount of light bleeding in from the bottom / nose and side / temple portion of the goggles, but even with the goggles at only 50% brightness that light doesn't affect my ability to see the display at all.

Comfort / weight: Like most people I've found them to be very comfortable while worn, and the weight has been a non-issue. In fact, I don't "notice" them at all while I'm wearing them, and the only time they do feel a little heavy is when the visor (main part) is flipped up away from my eyes, at which point the weight in the front becomes noticeable and mildly unpleasant.

Nausea: This hasn't been a big problem for me. I did start to feel slightly sick after about an hour on the first day and then once again on the second day when doing lots of yawing at high speeds, but I don't often fly that way so it's not a big deal. At this point I seem to be fine when flying straight or with gentle curves, and I'm guessing that even sharp yawing won't be a problem after a while.

Battery: The first thing I noticed when I got them is that they take a long time to charge. Mine came less than 50% charged and it took me 4+ hours to get them fully charged. The flip side of that, though, is that once they're charged you can use them for a long time without recharging, which I think is a good thing. I'd much rather charge less, even if the less-frequent charging takes a while.

Data Overlay: I like the information that's displayed on the screen (height, distance, etc.) because it gives a lot information without being obtrusive. My only complaint is that it appears that all the information is displayed in metric units and there's no way -- at least not an obvious one -- to display it in imperial units instead.

Head Tracking: I tried this and think it's a nice feature, but found that I actually prefer not to use it -- at least for now -- because it's a little confusing. For example, I can be flying and find the video drifting (say) to the left, which makes me want to correct with the stick until I realize that it was occurring because I accidentally moved my head slightly to the left; in other words, it takes me an instant to realize that it's really only the camera -- and not the entire aircraft -- that's yawing. I'm used to there being a direct connection between my (conscious) input through the sticks and what I see on FPV, but head tracking muddies that relationship a bit and leaves me with less confidence in the mental picture I keep in my head of what's nearby. Part of the problem is that the head tracking is very sensitive, so maybe that's something that can be made adjustible in a future version of the goggle firmware.

Overall the goggles make an even better hood / mount / tablet substitute than I expected without the disadvantages that I was concerned about, so I'm very happy with them.

P.S. You don't need to upgrade your Mavic's firmware (I'm still using .0400) to use the goggles but you do need to upgrade the DJI Assistant 2 software in order to active them through that application.

2017-5-25
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133642 ft
United States

Thanks for that review, Finally something positive to read.
2017-5-25
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Excellent review.  I'm putting them on my wish list.
2017-5-25
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Good review and very helpful thank you
2017-5-25
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Great review.  Time to order a set!
2017-5-25
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

very interesting about the firmware dji say that you have to be on version 700 for the goggles to be supported, looks like that was a lie just to make you update the firmware, thanks for the heads up m8, i didnt want to update the firmware but thought that i had to for the goggles to work so im staying on version 550 for now ;)
2017-5-25
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Thank You... I'll most likely will be buying now with your last said now.
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

bomberuk Posted at 2017-5-25 08:57
very interesting about the firmware dji say that you have to be on version 700 for the goggles to be supported, looks like that was a lie just to make you update the firmware, thanks for the heads up m8, i didnt want to update the firmware but thought that i had to for the goggles to work so im staying on version 550 for now ;)

Yes, I was a little surprised about the firmware since the release notes for the newer firmware version mentioned support for goggles, but I decided to try it first without upgrading and everything seemed to work fine.

I suppose it's possible that there's something in the newest firmware that works better / differently / in addition to what's there, but all the functionality I know of that the goggles are supposed to have seems to work properly with .0400. And of course the goggles have their own separate firmware, so any fixes or additional features will presumably be available separate from what's included in the Mavic drone / controller firmware.
2017-5-25
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-25 09:07
Yes, I was a little surprised about the firmware since the release notes for the newer firmware version mentioned support for goggles, but I decided to try it first without upgrading and everything seemed to work fine.

I suppose it's possible that there's something in the newest firmware that works better / differently / in addition to what's there, but all the functionality I know of that the goggles are supposed to have seems to work properly with .0400.

Done.... buying now
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Cool, I think you'll really like them. And thanks to everyone for your feedback.
2017-5-25
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-25 09:15
Cool, I think you'll really like them. And thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I just notice they took at away .400.... Why would they do that? What if a update worked for you? Why wouldn't they leave all the firmware  there so people can re apply them?
2017-5-25
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

I was wondering if it uses WiFi for the connection with the Drone what is the limit on the Range.?
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Mojito Posted at 2017-5-25 09:57
I was wondering if it uses WiFi for the connection with the Drone what is the limit on the Range.?

As far as I know there isn't an option to have the goggles use wifi for the connection, so the range limit will theoretically be similar to that of the remote but I haven't yet confirmed that from personal experience.
2017-5-25
Use props
Gotters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 553976 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I used them for a couple of hours the other day and think they are brilliant.

The internet is a pretty miserable joyless place at the best of times, but DJI sites (official and unofficial) on launch day is never ending stream of miserable people stinking up every thread with their delivery stories (I get its annoying but keep it to the appropriate threads) or man children that have convinced themselves $500 of new gadget is going to change their lives, and when it doesn't they moan or pick at the slightest thing endlessly.

If you told me 10y ago I'd have a toy like the mavic and these goggles that work so brilliantly I'd think you were mad - they are fantastic toys (yes toys) and I love them

I do hope people don't get swayed by the endless stream of misery and stupidity in these threads, and not experience these things for themselves as they are put off by the negative keyboard warriors all whining like comic book guy in the Simpsons. These are not 'worst goggles ever' I can assure you, they are great.
2017-5-25
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Mojito Posted at 2017-5-25 09:57

The goggles have a built in Occusync receiver for the video link just as the mavic controller does .
2017-5-25
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Gotters Posted at 2017-5-25 11:03
I used them for a couple of hours the other day and think they are brilliant.

The internet is a pretty miserable joyless place at the best of times, but DJI sites (official and unofficial) on launch day is never ending stream of miserable people stinking up every thread with their delivery stories (I get its annoying but keep it to the appropriate threads) or man children that have convinced themselves $500 of new gadget is going to change their lives, and when it doesn't they moan or pick at the slightest thing endlessly.

Well said . I've  been flying FPV for awhile now and these blow every other headset away and I've owned several brands and types over the years .
2017-5-25
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

Thank you great to know the range , now got to justify getting one to my wife.  ...MMMM... got it! credit card points>>
2017-5-25
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

some things i do notice.....

1.  The goggles do fog up (sometimes).  don't know if its me, the weather, or the goggles design.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does it is annoying.  
2.  i wear glasses and i simply cannot achieve a good focus.... with or without the glasses.   I wish they included a diopter adjustment.                                
3.  once i set the configuration to use head tracking, i cannot seem to be able to change it back (set it to NO head tracking).

2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

13MStang Posted at 2017-5-25 11:46
some things i do notice.....

1.  The goggles do fog up (sometimes).  don't know if its me, the weather, or the goggles design.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does it is annoying.  

once i set the configuration to use head tracking, i cannot seem to be able to change it back (set it to NO head tracking)

You do it by toggling: to disable a head tracking you currently have enabled, go into the menu, move the "focus" to the head tracking option you have enabled, and then "click" it (tap on the touch pad) to turn it off.
2017-5-25
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-25 11:52
once i set the configuration to use head tracking, i cannot seem to be able to change it back (set it to NO head tracking)

You do it by toggling: to disable a head tracking you currently have enabled, go into the menu, move the "focus" to the head tracking option you have enabled, and then "click" it (tap on the touch pad) to turn it off.

Perfect.... It works
2017-5-25
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info they sound excellent
2017-5-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Thorough thoughts on the goggles.  Not sure how you are using them at 50% brightness.  Mine are at 100% & I'd like more especially with the light bleed.  The light bleed takes away 20% screen real estate on each side because I can see my temples on each side of the screen.  It's like 2 bright bars along the sides; don't discount it.

Regarding activation, I just tapped thru the linking prompts that automatically pop-up after turning on the goggles.  I had the remote & Mavic on.  Pushed link button on Mavic.  DONE!  No computer or issues.

Also to note, plugging in an HDMI automatically switched it to HDMI for me.  No further input was needed.
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-5-25 13:26
Thorough thoughts on the goggles.  Not sure how you are using them at 50% brightness.  Mine are at 100% & I'd like more especially with the light bleed.  The light bleed takes away 20% screen real estate on each side because I can see my temples on each side of the screen.  It's like 2 bright bars along the sides; don't discount it.

Regarding activation, I just tapped thru the linking prompts that automatically pop-up after turning on the goggles.  I had the remote & Mavic on.  Pushed link button on Mavic.  DONE!  No computer or issues.

To be honest I didn't notice any light bleed on the sides at all until I saw your comments in another thread, which made me go back and look for the same problem in mine, but it just isn't there. I checked mine again just now and even with the goggles turned off the gap on the side lets in just a very tiny sliver of light. It's so small, in fact, that I'd be hard pressed to estimate how wide it is, but it's definitely far less than 20% of my field of vision and in fact probably less than 1% on each side.

I'm not sure if you were partly serious about having a narrow head, but since it can't be all that different from mine I'm wondering if maybe your goggles differ from mine in some way. I'd be interested to hear what other people are seeing with theirs and it may turn out that your head is perfectly normal and that it's mine that's unusual. And as far as the 50% brightness goes, I think I could go even lower and will experiment with that, but the truth is that I only picked that setting because I like round numbers. Of course, the two are closely connected so if you're eventually able to get a better "seal" then I'm guessing the brightness will become a non-issue for you as it is for me.
2017-5-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-25 14:25
To be honest I didn't notice any light bleed on the sides at all until I saw your comments in another thread, which made me go back and look for the same problem in mine, but it just isn't there. I checked mine again just now and even with the goggles turned off the gap on the side lets in just a very tiny sliver of light. It's so small, in fact, that I'd be hard pressed to estimate how wide it is, but it's definitely far less than 20% of my field of vision and in fact probably less than 1% on each side.

I'm not sure if you were partly serious about having a narrow head, but since it can't be all that different from mine I'm wondering if maybe your goggles differ from mine in some way. I'd be interested to hear what other people are seeing with theirs and it may turn out that your head is perfectly normal and that it's mine that's unusual. And as far as the 50% brightness goes, I think I could go even lower and will experiment with that, but the truth is that I only picked that setting because I like round numbers. Of course, the two are closely connected so if you're eventually able to get a better "seal" then I'm guessing the brightness will become a non-issue for you as it is for me.

I honestly ROFL reading this.  

But yea, perhaps my head isn't round enough lol.  EITHER WAY, it'd be the easiest fix with a fuller face piece that COMPLETELY seals.  Options for that would be nice as well as increasing the ceiling for 'max brightness.'
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-5-25 13:26

Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but by any chance are your goggles missing the thin, soft, flexible "layer" with a nose-shaped indention on the bottom? Specifically the light gray outermost layer of the goggles shown at 2:11 in the review video below, for example.

The reason I ask is because I just tried mine again and realized that without that part of the goggles I'd get the same thing you described: when I pull the soft part down with my fingers while wearing them, I get a large amount of light bleed, probably close to the 20% you described, which made me wonder if yours somehow came with that part missing. Like the other two layers, that part is concave, so on mine when I'm wearing them it does a very good job of closing the gap between the harder part of the goggles and my head without being uncomfortable.

2017-5-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-25 14:52
Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but by any chance are your goggles missing the thin, soft, flexible "layer" with a nose-shaped indention on the bottom? Specifically the light gray outermost layer of the goggles shown at 2:11 in the review video below, for example.

The reason I ask is because I just tried mine again and realized that without that part of the goggles I'd get the same thing you described: when I pull the soft part down with my fingers while wearing them, I get a large amount of light bleed, probably close to the 20% you described, which made me wonder if yours somehow came with that part missing. Like the other two layers, that part is concave, so on mine when I'm wearing them it does a very good job of closing the gap between the harder part of the goggles and my head without being uncomfortable.

Nope, mine have it & look EXACTLY like 2:11.  I held mine up right next to the screen & studied it for a bit, hahaha.

I did just try them again with a towel over my head (as a fashion statement).  With ZERO light bleed, these are very immersive...  Like REALLY 3D immersive.  Even Netflix & the like makes stuff look very dimensional like I'm wearing the 3D glasses that came with my TV.  Color reproduction looks almost 10-bit & dynamic range is astronomical.

So I need a much better seal somehow.  That rubber piece should be available for different sized heads (men, women, children).  There is no such thing as "1 size fits all."  Only "we make 1 size...  deal with it."
2017-5-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

BTW, the build quality of these goggles is seriously... perfect.  The way all the adjustment knobs rotate AND STAY where you adjust to is not mushy.  The fit & finish.  Just overall exceptional quality in build construction, assembly, and function.  The goggles WON'T flip back down on their own, for example.  Also, clever.  

Also, even if they are heavy/light/whatever, you're WAY TOO BUSY being dazzled by being reincarnated as a hummingbird.  
2017-5-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi DF

I received my goggles today and charged them up connected to my Mavic no problem.
Activated them using the DJI A2 software again no problem .. It would not update to the latest FW and would fail everytime I tried.

Anyway, I agree with most of your comments, but I am having a problem with brightness. They came turned up to about 80% and the screen was pretty dim and the color was washed out. Turned it up to 100% and still not much better. What are your thoughts about the screen color and brightness?

I might be sending mine back.

I wish the menus would be adjustable into SAE too.
Rich
2017-5-26
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-26 20:31
Hi DF

I received my goggles today and charged them up connected to my Mavic no problem.

What are your thoughts about the screen color and brightness?

Rich,

The colors look good to me, especially when there's good sunlight, which is when the goggles are most useful.

Regarding the brightness, I don't have any complaints there either, but as you probably noticed, DRONE-flies-YOU mentioned the same concern as you earlier in this thread. Out of curiosity, are you having much light bleeding in from the sides of the goggles? I would imagine that could have a pretty big impact on the screen visibility, but I get a good "seal" with almost no light at all from the sides. I experimented a bit more with mine after I read his posts and even in bright sunlight I can go down to 20-30% brightness and still get an acceptable (though slightly darker) display.

Other than that the only thing I can think of to suggest is to make sure that your camera settings aren't resulting in an underexposure that's making everything dark, but I know you're an experienced pilot and probably already thought of that. Good luck and let me know how things turn out.
2017-5-27
Use props
MavicAlpha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243770 ft
Malaysia

Nice review dude
2017-5-27
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-27 13:56
What are your thoughts about the screen color and brightness?

Rich,

Hi DF

I am not getting much if any light bleeding into my goggles. The seal is pretty nice. I even turned my camera up to the overexposure side to see if the goggles would lighten up, no change.  

I did not get to try them again today, but will try again tomorrow. I am wondering if I got a bad pair? (bummed out) I will try them with my P4P also but not sure how the USB connection works. I would like to keep my iPad plugged in but if you connect the goggles my iPad cannot be... Am I missing something here?

Rich
2017-5-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-27 21:06
Hi DF

I am not getting much if any light bleeding into my goggles. The seal is pretty nice. I even turned my camera up to the overexposure side to see if the goggles would lighten up, no change.  

Same here. 100% brightness & it is not enough by a lot. Colors are washed out. This is with the Mavic. HDMI looks much better and REALLY what I was expecting from these how people talk & how they were presented.
2017-5-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-5-28 10:58
Same here. 100% brightness & it is not enough by a lot. Colors are washed out. This is with the Mavic. HDMI looks much better and REALLY what I was expecting from these how people talk & how they were presented.

Is it also like that when you play the demo videos? I just turned the brightness down to the minimum setting to try it out and video playback looked fine (this was indoors in what I'd consider more or less normal lighting). The menus at that level are slightly darker than I prefer, but are definitely still readable.
2017-5-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-28 14:48
Is it also like that when you play the demo videos? I just turned the brightness down to the minimum setting to try it out and video playback looked fine (this was indoors in what I'd consider more or less normal lighting). The menus at that level are slightly darker than I prefer, but are definitely still readable.

Hi DF

So, the main screen and all of the demo videos look fine. The Mavic downlink looks washed out and dark. I did not get to try it with my P4P yet but will do this as soon as I can.

I am thinking that I got a bad one
Rich
2017-5-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-28 19:05
Hi DF

So, the main screen and all of the demo videos look fine. The Mavic downlink looks washed out and dark. I did not get to try it with my P4P yet but will do this as soon as I can.

Doubtful, as our perceptions of what is acceptable may differ.  Mine are the same, but even HDMI is at 90% brightness to get it looking good.  Remember that this is enclosed & dark, so they had to of turned the max brightness down.  Your phone at 90-100% brightness won't last long, as an example.

Also the focus is still not right on the whole screen.  I've tried quite a few readers now & I just can't seem to get a 100% edge-to-edge clear image.  Perhaps some expensive lens solution would do it, but that's not really what I want to do with these???  I don't wear contacts or glasses in any aspect of my life or occupation.  BUT WITH THESE, I suddenly need an optometrist?

2017-5-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-5-28 19:32
Doubtful, as our perceptions of what is acceptable may differ.  Mine are the same, but even HDMI is at 90% brightness to get it looking good.  Remember that this is enclosed & dark, so they had to of turned the max brightness down.  Your phone at 90-100% brightness won't last long, as an example.

Also the focus is still not right on the whole screen.  I've tried quite a few readers now & I just can't seem to get a 100% edge-to-edge clear image.  Perhaps some expensive lens solution would do it, but that's not really what I want to do with these???  I don't wear contacts or glasses in any aspect of my life or occupation.  BUT WITH THESE, I suddenly need an optometrist?

Hello DFY
I just realized that I need to get a HDMI mini to HDMI mini cable to connect my P4P!  Don't have one. As you know the goggles come with a std. HDMI to HDMI mini

I understand your frustration and I am not sure what the solution is at this point.  I really do not like the way my Mavic looks using the goggles (washed out and dark) that does not meet my expectations!  My Dominator HD Fat Sharks are much brighter on my other drones and I am not a newbie.

The screen can be blurry but I could live with that by using some reading glasses.
Rich
2017-5-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-28 21:29
Hello DFY
I just realized that I need to get a HDMI mini to HDMI mini cable to connect my P4P!  Don't have one. As you know the goggles come with a std. HDMI to HDMI mini

I'm going to try the Carson VisorMags.  I'm confident I will be able to find a solution with those as others have with the Headplay + Carson.

I'm hopeful some firmware revisions help; just as they dramatically helped the Mavic.

Overall, a SOLUTION is my goal rather than returning/selling them.  These are still good to have in the kit.   
2017-5-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-5-29 10:42
I'm going to try the Carson VisorMags.  I'm confident I will be able to find a solution with those as others have with the Headplay + Carson.

I'm hopeful some firmware revisions help; just as they dramatically helped the Mavic.

Hi again DFY

I finally found a solution to my goggles. I did a reset and started over.
Now when connected to my Mavic Pro the colors are nice and plenty bright now. This is like looking at the iPad on my face. This is expectable and Now I can enjoy the goggles as they are meant to be.

Hope you figure your issue out too

All the best my friend
Rich
2017-5-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-28 19:05
Hi DF

Hi DF
Now when connected to my Mavic Pro the colors are nice and plenty bright now. This is like looking at the iPad on my face. This is expectable and Now I can enjoy the goggles as they are meant to be.

Rich

2017-5-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-29 11:50
Hi DF

That's great! I know you would have been disappointed to send them back, so I'm glad to hear that you were able to identify a fix. It's strange that you'd have to reset them, but at least there was a simple solution. Thanks for the update.
2017-5-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules