I kinda figured this would happen some day:

http://techaeris.com/2017/05/24/casey-neistat-faa-investigation/

2017-5-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I don't get it, according to the DJI map there's all sorts of places you can fly in NYC -- does the city itself have a prohibition against drone use? All the videos I've seen of his drone tests have been down by docks over water.
2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

The one thing I noticed is that he frequently flies out of VLOS, and when asked by his assistant on where the drone is, his response is, I don't know but look at this footage...  Or something to that effect.  That is when I knew he was going to get a call some day for posting that.
2017-5-25
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

I wouldn't have said anything publicly about the investigation unless he already knows what the verdict or penalty is. Now that it is public, it's pretty unlikely that the FAA is going to drop it.

Then again, maybe the FAA investigation isn't formal and he's just being dramatic. Like getting one of those notices from your ISP that you've downloaded a movie illegally.
2017-5-25
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
China

Finally some action
2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

This idiot should have been grounded long time ago! Idiots like him encourage people to do more stupid things and we got stuck with all those extra regulations.
2017-5-25
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I can't believe some of you actual believe his BS lol.  The only thing probably and most likely getting in trouble for... Is not having a 107 license. Because he has made money from those videos he posted. Because they should be going after every NYC pilot video on YouTube. And I don't know if some here no There are a lot of us. A lot of us smh. Besides that flying a selfie drone shouldn't get anyone in trouble. This is the guy who puts a camera down and rides and to it like it's a TV show.  I'm pretty sure DJI had him say this.  
But I won't believe it until I see some paper work.
2017-5-25
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-25 06:50
I don't get it, according to the DJI map there's all sorts of places you can fly in NYC -- does the city itself have a prohibition against drone use? All the videos I've seen of his drone tests have been down by docks over water.

Exactly!! The story doesn't add up at all. I'm telling you as someone who actual flies here every day expect today it's raining lol. Flying here is not that bad.
2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-5-25 08:47
I can't believe some of you actual believe his BS lol.  The only thing probably and most likely getting in trouble for... Is not having a 107 license. Because he has made money from those videos he posted. Because they should be going after every NYC pilot video on YouTube. And I don't know if some here no There are a lot of us. A lot of us smh. Besides that flying a selfie drone shouldn't get anyone in trouble. This is the guy who puts a camera down and rides and to it like it's a TV show.  I'm pretty sure DJI had him say this.  
But I won't believe it until I see some paper work.

Earlier this year a twin engine pilot was fined by NY city and the FAA for every flight he took out in NYC without having the 107 license. This idiot will be fined not only for flying but for making money under 107 rules.

Flying over people is not allowed in any city and asking permission doesn't make it legal. Even with the 107 rule... So be scared... very scared because you don't know when it will be your turn!
2017-5-25
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

He treats other people's property like it his own. Routinely breaks / flaunts laws and never wears a helmet when tooling around on his electric skateboard.

When he recently started Vloging again it was obvious to me he was doing so to shill for Beme, and to a lesser extent also his wife's company.
2017-5-25
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

This why was blatantly doing it, I think he was hoping that it would become the norm and the FAA would look the other way.
But after the FAA's resent loss and butt hurt I guess they want to have something to SHOW for it.
2017-5-25
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

lol, these comment are so entertaining.
The would be's, and the could be's all dishing the dirt.
CN should be investigated (and is) for breaching FAA guidelines. Anyone with half a brain should realise the height he sometimes drones at, is way too high, which also discounts LOS possibility.
Get the tin foil hats out, this is going to be a bumpy thread.
2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-25 15:57
lol, these comment are so entertaining.
The would be's, and the could be's all dishing the dirt.
CN should be investigated (and is) for breaching FAA guidelines. Anyone with half a brain should realise the height he sometimes drones at, is way too high, which also discounts LOS possibility.

For a hobby, you can fly as high as you want.  Only part 107 is limited to 400 feet.  For hobby, it is only a 'guideline'.

2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-5-25 15:25
He treats other people's property like it his own. Routinely breaks / flaunts laws and never wears a helmet when tooling around on his electric skateboard.

When he recently started Vloging again it was obvious to me he was doing so to shill for Beme, and to a lesser extent also his wife's company.

No one had a helmet back when I skateboarded and I never knew anyone that got hurt outside some bumps and bruises.
2017-5-25
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-25 18:03
For a hobby, you can fly as high as you want.  Only part 107 is limited to 400 feet.  For hobby, it is only a 'guideline'.

id rather be safe than sorry honestly. why push the limit and possibly put lives in danger with manned aircraft going higher than 400?  i mean maybe if ur in the middle of no where i can understand.
2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-5-25 18:14
id rather be safe than sorry honestly. why push the limit and possibly put lives in danger with manned aircraft going higher than 400?  i mean maybe if ur in the middle of no where i can understand.

I hear that.  Not only did I put an aircraft white strobe visible for 3 miles on the thing, I have yet to exceed 400 feet.  Haven't found a need yet.

Nothing I can do about the rocketry clubs though.  If you have ever watched those guys....
2017-5-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

he will get away with it.
2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Might be hard when he is reported to have made $1 mil off of YouTube which is a decent chunk of change for a single person.  The gov wants another cut of that.
2017-5-25
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

No LOS rules in the US?

2017-5-25
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Today's update and DJI response to "preferential geofence removal:"

http://techaeris.com/2017/05/25/ ... geofencing-neistat/
2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

VLOS is a requirement in the US.
2017-5-25
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-25 20:19
VLOS is a requirement in the US.

So how can someone legally go "as high as they want " in hobby mode?
2017-5-25
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-25 06:50

as far as I know, remote aircrafts are forbidden in New York City. The counties surrounding them are legal (Nassau, Westchester)
2017-5-25
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-5-25 18:30
he will get away with it.

I doubt it.

He will be made an example of, and most likely fined.

2017-5-25
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-25 20:48
So how can someone legally go "as high as they want " in hobby mode?

As long as you can see it, you are fine.  So I guess the rule is, as high as you can still visually see it.
2017-5-25
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I suspect this is country dependent. In Australia, 120m is the hard ceiling for hobby drones.
2017-5-26
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

PHL Posted at 2017-5-26 03:11
I suspect this is country dependent. In Australia, 120m is the hard ceiling for hobby drones.

A lot of countries have hard limits, but the USA doesn't unless you are commercial.  The fact the FAA says a guideline of 400 feet should be translated == Fly above that at your own risk, because if you cause something, we are coming for ya!
2017-5-26
Use props
fans18d204c5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2949393 ft
  • >>>
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-5-25 08:49
Exactly!! The story doesn't add up at all. I'm telling you as someone who actual flies here every day expect today it's raining lol. Flying here is not that bad.

He gets paid $$$ based on how many views his videos get.
2017-5-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like Casey so don't get me wrong but for the past few years DJI and other companies have been sending him drone to try out because he's popular and he is the most irresponsible quad pilot I have ever seen, even in his latest spark video the first thing he does is almost hit the camera man in the face with the spark, not seconds into the flight!!  It's like giving arsonist gasoline and matches to play with.
2017-5-26
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Bond006 Posted at 2017-5-25 20:50
as far as I know, remote aircrafts are forbidden in New York City. The counties surrounding them are legal (Nassau, Westchester)

theres model plane fields in staten island and brooklyn not sure about queens or bronx so idk about that
2017-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules