Question regarding f.a.a part 107 remote pilot license .
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329505 ft
United States

IM interested in taking the f.a.a 107 and flying drones comemrically and Ive heared that commercial drone pilots must complete a background check. But heres the part where I get concerned, me being young and dumb ( Im only 19) I got arrested for the first time  last month on 2 counts of petty larceny both misdmeanors  and I have court in a month , will this effect me getting my remote pilot certificate license or will it now be a big deal to the tsa when they do my background check ? Im really starting to worry and I really want to fly commercially.
2017-5-25
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

It may well be a problem. Things have changed considerably since 9/11. It used to be that only drug/alcohol related offences prevented, (or delayed), someone from getting a pilot certificate. "Good moral character" was also taken into consideration for advanced ratings. And, that was before the TSA was involved. Can't offer you anymore information, but I believe if I were you, I would throw myself at the mercy of the court, and offer to do whatever it took, (community service,etc) in addition the penalty, to get the record expunged after I successfully completed my sentence.
2017-5-25
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree totally with Crack the Sky.
When I took my test last fall they said that the FAA does a VERY detailed background check if you pass the test.....and this is a large testing facility at a major university that has a top notch aeronautical program.
Get that record cleared and you should have no problem.
2017-5-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have mine and it took a couple  of weeks for the TSA check. I don't know all of what they consider bad behavior. Felonies definitely enter into it. As far as the test goes I can say that you really have to know what you are doing. You cannot just go and wing it.
2017-5-26
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would think (and hope) that the background check looks for things pertinent to flying a UAS in US airspace.  The fact that these are misdemeanors may help you.  Ask your lawyer to plea to the judge for a reduction in the class of felony or even dismiss one or both.  Tell the judge that you aspire to be a remote pilot and won't repeat your mistake.
2017-5-26
Use props
martyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329505 ft
United States

Crack The Sky Posted at 2017-5-25 07:39
It may well be a problem. Things have changed considerably since 9/11. It used to be that only drug/alcohol related offences prevented, (or delayed), someone from getting a pilot certificate. "Good moral character" was also taken into consideration for advanced ratings. And, that was before the TSA was involved. Can't offer you anymore information, but I believe if I were you, I would throw myself at the mercy of the court, and offer to do whatever it took, (community service,etc) in addition the penalty, to get the record expunged after I successfully completed my sentence.

So do you think that I should first fight my court case and then go and apply for the f.a.a 107 or should I still try and take it anyway ? Also my state doesn't "expunge" it uses a similar method called sealing , also I talked with my lawyer and since I have no prior record and Ive committed a minor offense  its possible I may be able to get an ACD which involves community service a fine most likely some anti-theft classes and if I don't get rearrested within a 6-12 month period my charges will be dismissed and I won't have a record , if I do successfully get these charges dismissed do I have nothing to worry about ?
2017-5-30
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
United States

martyg Posted at 2017-5-30 14:52
So do you think that I should first fight my court case and then go and apply for the f.a.a 107 or should I still try and take it anyway ? Also my state doesn't "expunge" it uses a similar method called sealing , also I talked with my lawyer and since I have no prior record and Ive committed a minor offense  its possible I may be able to get an ACD which involves community service a fine most likely some anti-theft classes and if I don't get rearrested within a 6-12 month period my charges will be dismissed and I won't have a record , if I do successfully get these charges dismissed do I have nothing to worry about ?

Personally, I would have the entire case adjudicated, (finalized, penalty served, records sealed, whatever), before I applied for the Part 107. If that criminal offense finds it's way into the FAA records, I doubt it would ever be removed.  You're young and have no idea what the future holds for you. Maybe you get hooked on flying and decide to become a real Commercial Pilot with Advanced Ratings. It would be a problem.
Having said that, I have no idea of the extent that "sealing" a record goes. Sealing it, may be no deterrence at all,  to finding it during a Federal background check.
2017-6-2
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
United States

martyg Posted at 2017-5-30 14:52

Thinking about this further, I highly recommend that you contact the AOPA, (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association). They have been around for 60+ years and are the largest voice that General Aviation has. Their lawyers on staff are in the best position to correctly answer your questions. If you join, they provide legal assistance for all types of Certificate Actions that can be brought against a pilot. They just started a sUAS division and I highly recommend that everyone who fly's an sUAS join.
Go to this link and then toggle the , "Legal & Medical" tab.
https://www.aopa.org/?_ga=2.1741 ... 05421233.1490909812
2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules