Newbie to Drones... Any help appreciated.
1902 14 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Hi Folks... I just preordered the Spark.  I'm new to drones.  And a little overwhelmed.  I read all the PDF's on Spark on its page. But boy, seems like the instructions are lacking in those PDFS.  I'm just trying to look ahead and be prepared.  Can anyone point me in a good direction with how to operate these?
For example, do drones record to MicroSD card or your phone?  I image you can chose?  (Sorry, I know that is sad, but that's how new I am to this - I do shoot a lot of photography, but want to take it to a new height - pun intended).
Another example questions, can you use an ipod touch (I read somewhere that you need to have cell coverage - this true?) - in that case, can you use a wifi ipod or wifi ipad that is hot spotted to a phone?

Looking for good resources on the operation of DJI products, particularly the new Spark (which I know resources may be limited since it's not out yet).
Thanks much!

2017-5-25
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Hi GIdoc. Welcome to droning. Most the the questions you ask are similar to other DJI drones, and the Spark info will come with time. I will attempt to answer a few of your questions. You will have video only but a high definition you select on your drone, but no sound. On your phone, you will have lower res video based on cache settings and optionally record sound. Some people take the video from the drone and sound on their phone and combine it. The controller is really designed to fit into cell phones slots on the Spark. I suspect that tablets may work, but may not fit on mounts on the controller unlike the phantom series. There are aftermarket mounts for the Mavic.. maybe the same will apply for the Spark controller. It is preferred to have a data connection while flying but is not necessary, but you may need to cache your location prior to going out in the field for GEO information. With the new firmware being forced, it's hard to say what the default behavior will be in this situation. YouTube and these forums are your best sources of information. DJI's manuals are not always complete or clear, and often change with firmware/software updates.
2017-5-25
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome,  GIDoc!! I would buy a toy drone to practice flying around first to get a handle on flying basics.  
2017-5-25
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

GIdoc, Maxi3D has given you the GOLDEN KEY. Please take his comment to heart. I believe you must practice with a good toy first! Just my 2 cents. Safety First! Ken.
2017-5-25
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

This was my first RC Drone...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubsan- ... &keywords=hubsan+x4

I recommend getting a Hubsan x4 to practice on for when you get the Spark, this flys exactly the same as the DJI drones and the controls are very similar, for only £25 you can have great fun with it.
I have had a lot of different makes and found Hubsan are most reliable for this level drone, also the range is very good around 100M (till you dont see it) most other entry level drones at this price have about a 10 meter range
2017-5-25
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone. Just discovered a friend has a mavic pro. He said do get this app and put the settings to normal and it's similar to DJI controls. Anyone ever heard of it??
IMG_8072.PNG
2017-5-25
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United Kingdom

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-25 13:10
This was my first RC Drone...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubsan- ... &keywords=hubsan+x4

Thumbs up on this one. I was much like you .. moved from photography to drone photography. I also have a Hubsan X4 H107. What's fantastic about it is that you can start off practising indoors, then move outdoors. There's little risk of damaging anyone or anything.  I paid £25 in the UK, I've broken the shell once (£6 replacement), lost props, but I'm still going. Spares are abundant on ebay. The biggest challenge you'll have flying a drone .. is orientation, so practice practice..

The other thing it did for me.. it's something to keep you motivated in the weeks that you'll be waiting.

Have fun!
2017-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi Gidoc, look your gonna here it often but read the manual as soon as you get your hands on it, and use it as your reference all the time, a lot of crashes are in the first few days so take your time starting out, you obviously know a bit about photography so this at least won't preoccupy your time starting out.
Keep tuned into forum here you will get plenty of tips and if your not sure of something please just ask.
You will really enjoy this experience and with your background in photography all the more.
Good luck...
2017-5-26
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Thanks again. I'll look into getting that little guy. I was hoping to read the manual now. But the only thing posted is four very short PDF's.

I still don't understand for example, does the drone record video and snap shots to the micro sd card or to iPhone  - or is there an option and which one is better for higher quality images and video?

(Obviously the spark has hand  jesters and those I assume are recorded to micro sd - but then again are they wirelessly transmitted to phone for example?).

So there is learning to fly and learning the tech side.
2017-5-26
Use props
fans43fe3452
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-26 02:07
Hi Gidoc, look your gonna here it often but read the manual as soon as you get your hands on it, and use it as your reference all the time, a lot of crashes are in the first few days so take your time starting out, you obviously know a bit about photography so this at least won't preoccupy your time starting out.
Keep tuned into forum here you will get plenty of tips and if your not sure of something please just ask.
You will really enjoy this experience and with your background in photography all the more.

Spark will be my 1st "real" drone also. I understand that some practice is necessary, but with all the technology on the drone, I am not sure how bad someone needs to be to "crash" a drone.

2017-5-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GIdoc Posted at 2017-5-26 05:41
Thanks again. I'll look into getting that little guy. I was hoping to read the manual now. But the only thing posted is four very short PDF's.

I still don't understand for example, does the drone record video and snap shots to the micro sd card or to iPhone  - or is there an option and which one is better for higher quality images and video?

Your highest quality photos and video will be recorded to sd card, they will also be cache to the dji go app and you can edit add music and titles on the go and post to you tube Facebook etc, but for more professional and better quality you will use sd card and edit on your computer.

2017-5-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans43fe3452 Posted at 2017-5-26 05:46
Spark will be my 1st "real" drone also. I understand that some practice is necessary, but with all the technology on the drone, I am not sure how bad someone needs to be to "crash" a drone.

It's very easy to crash, you will be responsible for setting up your drone for the environment you fly in, its highly advisable that you first go to an open area for your first few flights, and although spark can fly indoors this is much more difficult and needs a certain amount of experience flying these aircraft to master indoor flying, many first crashes are indoors,
2017-5-26
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

GIdoc Posted at 2017-5-25 20:49
Thanks everyone. Just discovered a friend has a mavic pro. He said do get this app and put the settings to normal and it's similar to DJI controls. Anyone ever heard of it??

Simulators are good, but there is nothing beats the experience of flying in the real world with the wind, obstacles and your nerves.  Number one rule, don't panic when you drone goes squirrely. You will be going to have that moment when your stomach falls out of you, and you want to start punching that Return to Home button. Just let go of the sticks and let it hovers and take a deep breath. After that, just fly it home slowly.
2017-5-26
Use props
GIdoc
lvl.2
United States

Great advice to remember Maxi3D.

I just ordered this.... even comes with prop guards now.  Also got the extra batteries. lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-5-26
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

GIdoc Posted at 2017-5-26 07:01
Great advice to remember Maxi3D.

I just ordered this.... even comes with prop guards now.  Also got the extra batteries. lol.

You won't be disappointed with the Hubsan X4, defiantly the best starting point to get ready to move up to a pro quad
2017-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules