Mavic forced landing despite 18% of battery left
1560 11 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4d67508e
New
United Kingdom

My mavic  started the rth procedure as battery was running low.
At 230 metres away from me it started landing even though I still had 18% of battery left.
The area wasn't safe and too far away from me so while the mavic was landing I tried  to overwrite the approach and fly it closer to me.
At 8% of battery left it landed crashing against a wall and eventually a rood of a building.
Mavic completely destroyed.
I've been flying the mavic for a while and I've never experience any trouble.
-It had plenty of battery  to return to the rth point.
-The rth point was missed by 230 metres.
-Despite 18% of battery left it gave me warning of low battery and it initiated landing.
This catastrophic crash/flight was fine soon after the latest software update.
Any indeas of what could have gone wrong?
Thanks  

P.s check the picture
IMG_9662.PNG
2017-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's somewhat confusing, you say it was landing at 18% then you go on to say it landed at 8%, if you upload your logs to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and come back here and post the link, you should get some help.
2017-5-25
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Latest firmware will force landing at 18%
It used to be 10%

This is why I'm still on firmware 400

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/i ... grade-to-400.16619/
2017-5-25
Use props
fans4d67508e
New
United Kingdom

@hallmark007
Yes that's what I said.
What's that confusing?
As on the picture I added, it started landing at 18% and I managed to overwrite the command until 8% of battery left, when it crashed.
I had no full control of the mavic: ONLY OVERWRITING SOME COMMANDS
2017-5-25
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

I had this happen last week but no crash, I was able to divert to a field narrowly missing some trees, there was no point in this thing deciding to auto land. Appeared I could steer clear of trees but could not ascend or stop descent. Had it not initiated auto land I could have easily flown back and landed as usual
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans4d67508e Posted at 2017-5-25 16:07
@hallmark007
Yes that's what I said.
What's that confusing?

As Hallmark pointed out, we'll be in a better position to understand what happened once you upload the log from your flight. At this point, though, everything appears to have worked the way it's supposed to. The aircraft will initiate an automatic landing once the critically low battery threshold has been reached, and as adiru pointed out that the minimum threshold was reduced by DJI in a recent firmware release. As you obviously know, though, it's possible to essentially override the automatic landing and continue flying to reach a more suitable location for landing.

As far as the crash that occurred during the final landing sequence, there's a message in your screen shot indicating that obstacle avoidance was going to be disabled during the landing sequence. That message apparently appeared during the initial (automatic) landing sequence, but would have also applied to any subsequent landing. In other words, once you did allow it to start landing it would have done so without OA enabled, increasing the likelihood of some sort of collision, which is apparently what happened.
2017-5-25
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

"once you did allow it to start landing "

This is an option? once low batt auto land has been chosen by the control we can opt out? it sure didnt seem that way when it was happening, all i was able to do was move in the x and y axis
2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-25 15:49
Latest firmware will force landing at 18%
It used to be 10%

I have the latest firmware .700 and I have never had forced landing even when I had 2 minutes to go.
It iwll does
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-5-25 17:57
"once you did allow it to start landing "

This is an option? once low batt auto land has been chosen by the control we can opt out? it sure didnt seem that way when it was happening, all i was able to do was move in the x and y axis

Yes, you can still climb even after a critically low battery-initiated landing has started.
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-5-25 18:06
I have the latest firmware .700 and I have never had forced landing even when I had 2 minutes to go.
It iwll does

The Mavic has always started landing automatically when the critically low battery threshold is reached. The only thing that's changed is that in older firmware releases you could set that threshold to be as low as 10%.
2017-5-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

But a major point is why are you flying with the battery so low?  I've always set 35-40% for the warning and 10% for critical.  I head home at warning and get it on the ground well before critical.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans4d67508e
New
United Kingdom

-rth was 230 metres away and no one says anything about that
-I could not cancel auto landing despite battery charge at 18%
-it crashed at 7% and I had no control of it
-I would never set up a warning at 30-40% of battery left as it would not make any sense

I guess I'll wait and see what dji says.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules