1474 21 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aronsson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42543 ft
United States

Hi,

I had a regular flight with Mavic Pro today when it all the sudden lost connectivity.
First I got really panic and was about to run towards the direction it was seen last.
However after a couple of minutes it re-connected with the RC and luckly RTH.
I would like to know why did it happen and what should I do to prevent it to happen again- it was quite scary to loose my precious Mavic out of RC sight...
Is there anything can be done that it will be programmed to always return home if the connection is lost?

thank you very much in advance for your help and feedback!

2017-5-25
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Just a couple of things here. You said you ran towards the place it was last seen. So long as you give the Mavic sufficient time to set a home point then it will RTH with a lost connection so you should remain at the home point. You should be flying LOS so you should have been able to see the Mavic and what it was doing. I am unsure if it was just the app that disconnected or did the Mavic lose connection with the RC? Depending on that there may be different reasons for the lost connection.
2017-5-25
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stay away from electrical wires, telephone towers, metal buildings, commercial buildings, trees etc etc...try to fly in an open area.
2017-5-25
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

thank you! I was flying within LOS but above the ocean so there should not have been any visual wires or buildings or hz transmitting devices hopefully...I looked into the flight log- there is a glitch between the flight log that ends with lost connection point and the next flight log starting RTH but kind of way far away from the lost connection point...So is it for sure that once RC and Mavic are out of connection the drone will return to home no matter what? ( a bit worried now after reading posts of people loosing drones once the connection is lost...()
2017-5-25
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

aronsson Posted at 2017-5-25 21:55
thank you! I was flying within LOS but above the ocean  so there should not have been any visual wires or buildings or hz transmitting devices hopefully...I looked into the flight log- there is a glitch between the flight log that ends with lost connection point and the next flight log starting RTH but kind of way far away from the lost connection point...So is it for sure that once RC and Mavic are out of connection the drone will return to home no matter what? ( a bit worried now after reading posts of people loosing drones once the connection is lost...()

It wouldn't be a bad idea to share the logs with us - then we could guess what you're referring to in your posts ;)
2017-5-25
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, could you give use a little insight on the log? Will really appreciate it if you upload it to Airdata.

Flying above ocean is a little bit dangerous. Make sure GPS is locked. Always set the RTH to the drone take off position, use exact location is better. Fly against the wind so that when RTH is initiated in case of connection loss, the wind will help the return speed.

Signal loss can be caused by many things. Visible causes like tall buildings, trees etc are easy to avoid, but invisible causes such as interference are the one we have to be more careful with.
2017-5-26
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 00:17
Hi, could you give use a little insight on the log? Will really appreciate it if you upload it to Airdata.

Flying above ocean is a little bit dangerous. Make sure GPS is locked. Always set the RTH to the drone take off position, use exact location is better. Fly against the wind so that when RTH is initiated in case of connection loss, the wind will help the return speed.

thank you!
sorry- how do I do to upload the data to Airdata? I tried the assistant application but it has a lot of chinese words I do not understand.. Is there a way to upload/ share data from the phone? ( I use Iphone 6 with RC for Mavic) Thank you!
2017-5-26
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-5-25 23:39
It wouldn't be a bad idea to share the logs with us - then we could guess what you're referring to in your posts ;)

thank you!
sorry- how do I do to upload the data to Airdata? I tried the assistant application but it has a lot of chinese words I do not understand.. Is there a way to upload/ share data from the phone? ( I use Iphone 6 with RC for Mavic) Thank you!
2017-5-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

aronsson Posted at 2017-5-26 09:28
thank you!

Easiest way is to sign up for Airdata and use HD Sync  app to upload the data for you.

First sync your flight records using DJI Go 4.
Open HD Sync app and fill in the blank.
Your HD user token can be taken from your account.
Press Sync Now button.
Wait for it to finish.
Go to your logs.
Select relevant flight.
Click share on the top right hand side.
Create unique sharing link.
Copy/paste the link here.
2017-5-26
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 10:45
Easiest way is to sign up for Airdata and use HD Sync  app to upload the data for you.

First sync your flight records using DJI Go 4.

here is the flight
hope it works
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=MDTofe

thank you!!!
2017-5-27
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

also here is the link to the flight when the Mavic "somehow found the conection and was RTH.
Not sure why this was recorded as a separate flight, but if someone could please look at it and let me know why the connection was lost and then how was it reistablished- I would appreciate it a lot!

log of the flight when it reconnected somehow and was RTH:
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=jUcsim
2017-5-27
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

aronsson Posted at 2017-5-27 07:29
also here is the link to the flight when the Mavic "somehow found the conection and was RTH.
Not sure why this was recorded as a separate flight, but if someone could please look at it and let me know why the connection was lost and then how was it reistablished- I would appreciate it a lot!

The airdata log only shows there was a strong interferences nearly 2km from home point. That is actually quite far. How did you position the controller antennas?
2017-5-27
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like you had some strong radio interference. Upon signal loss and the drone disconnecting from you it will return to home. You may need to limit your range when flying near interfering signals.
2017-5-27
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-27 08:18
The airdata log only shows there was a strong interferences nearly 2km from home point. That is actually quite far. How did you position the controller antennas?

The Santa Monica pier is my daily route ( I live here and its easy visualy to fly there and back) So its a bit strange that it was strong interference that time...I positioned controllers antennas up as it is told in the manual (as i always did)
2017-5-27
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-5-27 08:25
Looks like you had some strong radio interference. Upon signal loss and the drone disconnecting from you it will return to home. You may need to limit your range when flying near interfering signals.

what could be a strong radio interferiance? i have flown there during the day and even in the evening and everything was fine... so it is 100% sure that if/when the Mavic loose signal with RC it will return home automatically on its own? thank you so much!!!
2017-5-27
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Can look at that. Airdata, I noticed, isn't updated for the later firmware and ios seems to not report minor connect drops under sensors, so your left with warnings only. Can see the battery temperature isn't reported right. I run older firmware and it's all accurate. 6700 feet should be no problem for the mavic in my experience, it can do that through trees. Maybe there was interference though being inland.

Turn off the wifi on your phone (rc uses the same freq), you can leave lte for data.
2017-5-27
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interference is difficult to track down without specialized equipment. It could be anything from a neighbor with a faulty microwave oven to a magnetic storm on the sun. Barring no other malfunction and no physical impact, your Mavic will return to home every time the signal is lost.
2017-5-27
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-5-27 08:52
Interference is difficult to track down without specialized equipment. It could be anything from a neighbor with a faulty microwave oven to a magnetic storm on the sun. Barring no other malfunction and no physical impact, your Mavic will return to home every time the signal is lost.

thank you!
2017-5-27
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

aronsson Posted at 2017-5-27 07:29

Hi,

The first log of your flight before the RTH reads ok but this link you provided does not contain any info - some problem on airdata I guess. If you could double check this it would be helpful.

Cheers!
2017-5-29
Use props
fansea37cd69
New
Flight distance : 60856 ft
United Kingdom

We had the magic pro at 2 metres and it lost connectivity and dropped to the deck. Snapped an arm and dislodged the camera. Anyone had this?
2017-5-29
Use props
fansea37cd69
New
Flight distance : 60856 ft
United Kingdom

Our Mavic pro just lost connectivity and dumped to the ground from 2 metres high. The data says nothing. Is there a way of accessing a more detailed report to diagnose a fault.
2017-5-29
Use props
aronsson
lvl.1
United States

I think u should send it to the support to get it checked.
2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules