RC Side USB Cover?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

So being that you have to unplug the side USB from the RC to use the bottom usb has anyone come up with some sort of cover for the side usb when not in use?
2017-5-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I think you should be able to leave the short stub plugged into the RC.  I assume you must be using a tablet ?
2017-5-26
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-26 05:33
I think you should be able to leave the short stub plugged into the RC.  I assume you must be using a tablet ?

Im not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I had to unplug the side usb to get the bottom usb to work.
2017-5-26
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2017-5-26 05:42
Im not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I had to unplug the side usb to get the bottom usb to work.

You are correct.  The side USB connector must be unplugged for the bottom USB connector to work.
2017-5-26
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
Sweden

Yep, the side USB has to be unplugged for the bottom USB to work....at least it does for my ipad mini 2 setup! Not come across any type of cover for the side USB.
2017-5-26
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-26 06:09
Yep, the side USB has to be unplugged for the bottom USB to work....at least it does for my ipad mini 2 setup! Not come across any type of cover for the side USB.

Interesting ...  That implies that either (a) there is a switch on the RC side socket or (b) the stubby cable is not a straight cable (i.e. is must have some pins jumpered to indicate a cable plugged in.
Can anyone think of another way the RC would know a cable is inserted there?
2017-5-26
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-26 10:49
Interesting ...  That implies that either (a) there is a switch on the RC side socket or (b) the stubby cable is not a straight cable (i.e. is must have some pins jumpered to indicate a cable plugged in.
Can anyone think of another way the RC would know a cable is inserted there?

I think it must be part of the USB spec.  On my Android phone I use and app called Tasker that does a bunch of utility stuff (it allows you to do mild programming to change the state of your phone in various ways).  Anyway, one of the things you can test for is if a USB cable (just a floppy disconnected at the other end cable) is connected or not.  But yeah, now that you mention it. it is a little odd that it knows.  Some kind of capacitance change?
2017-5-29
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it got me several times when I was switching between Android phone on side USB and ipad Air 2 on bottom USB, couldn't work out why the ipad wouldn't connect! Gave up on Android due to all the app crashes and bought an ipad mini 2. The short connector is back in the Mavic box and the side USB is only used for charging!
2017-5-29
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

My guess is that pin 4 (ID) is connected to GND (pin 5)  within the short cable plug to signal that something is plugged in.   If you could find a short jumper with no alterations, you could probably just cut the plug off and use it as a dust cover.
2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules