Not real impressed with active track, says im in NFZ
1908 22 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Panaceabeachbu4
lvl.2
United States

When I attempt to use active track on our farm which is almost 2 sqaure miles and nowhere near any NFZ I keep getting an onscreen message that says active track cancelled , entering restricted area. moved all over the farm. Was able to get it to engage twice, both times it lost me at about 4 mph, even though its set on 20 mph, then it immediatly says cancelled entering restricted area.

Iphone 5s, newish Mavic pro, rebooted everything between moves to different areas, same result
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Im in Medart Florida, there are no military bases, jail is 10 miles away, no government buildings. Our place is circled in picture below. Pretty much in the woods. Why am I getting restricted area messages that keep me from using active track?

2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

dirt airport is 10 miles away, paved one is 30 miles away.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

That school is a NFZ.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/
map.jpeg
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

Interesting, the school is on our farm and they just today had me fly over and film the setup for graduation, not a single warning, but I try to get the quad to folow me on my dirt bike and it refuses. Wonder why no warnings when I fly over it in DJIgo4?
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

how big is the NFZ around the school? Its 9000 feet from where I was trying to fly? the Know before you fly site says my brouser isnt supported
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

So I opened the Know before you fly site in another browser, It shows the yellow dot on the school, the legend says a yellow dot is an airport , which it is not, the WARNING  area extends to the property lines of the school and not an inch beyond.  Please explain why the quad will not allow me to fly in active track mode, over a mile and a half away from a warning area, but will allow me to fly directly over it in all other modes.

Its interesting that I own the property adjoining the county airport and other than a warning there are no hardware restrictions when I fly there.

I cant find anything that says I am not allowed to fly outside of a warning area, please clarify.

I also would like someone from DJI to clarify the permissions around warning areas
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

It's tiny but there is a 5 mile radius restriction.  You could apply for an exemption through http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock.  You would need a letter from the school I think.  I would do this asap because the app update might completely restrict you.  Plus, it's your land and you have a right surely.  On second thoughts this will only unlock it for 3 days.  Maybe you could get the school to change it to a warning zone?
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

I assume this upcoming update will resolve this and I wont be able to fly my quad on my own farm next week in any mode
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

So 1.5 miles, closer than me, to the High School the State run community college is operating a "drone Class" in which they build and fly drones on a daily basis, but a company in China has decided to restrict my flight on my property. Am I the only one that is seeing a problem here?
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

DJI is just complying with FAA etc, you can't really blame them.  If I were you I'd go have a chat with the professor at the drone Class and find out more about having the restriction lifted.  Especially as it's your land that is getting affected.
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

I dont see the school listed on the DJI Geo system site with any restrictions at all. Assuming your right, how would I go about unlocking a zone which is not prohibited on the DJI system?

2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

Just type in wakulla high school and the pin should drop in the right spot.  For some reason the DJI map is only showing Restricted, not Authorization zones.
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

I get what your saying but I would like to see a link to a federal mandate that requires them to do so. I do not believe any such official document exist.

Im not trying to be difficult , but Ive been flying RC here since 1977 and have been flying quads here since 2008, all on the same property.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

It could also just be an ActiveTrack issue when in proximity of any sort of NFZ.  Which I can understand too.  Maybe they made ActiveTrack hyper sensitive to NFZ.
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

Maybe thats it, I have no problem in all other modes, and I had no problem with active track a week ago. I guess my two neighbors with fullsize planes who are closer to the school than I am will eventually be in for a shock if their not allowed to operate aircraft within 5 miles of the school
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

Besides the State College "drone program", being a school, and being closer to the High School than me the county is actively trying to buy a strip of our place to move the county airport which would put it about 1/2 a mile from the school. I see alot of upcoming problems with this " perceived" no fly zone shut down issue
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

Just received this message from our county commissioner about the subject.

DJI KEN, DJI THOR what documentation do I need to provide for you to unlock MY flying machine to fly on my property asap?

Richard, we recently passed a local ordinance. The only enforceable restriction is within 500 feet of the airport.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

Good stuff, hope you get it sorted.  That school thing MUST be a glitch because I don't see how a school gets to say it's a NFZ.  Do they have a helipad or anything that could trigger it?  You know this could all just be a bug BUT given both schools show up on the airspace map there has to be a connection.
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

Ive got the right man on it at the local level but I have no idea how he will have any sway over DJI geo fencing system, if that is indeed the problem. Thanks for input
2017-5-26
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This is getting really ridiculous and annoying! they are taking the fun out of droning!
2017-5-26
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
United States

I believe it will only get worse if they use that US airspace map on know before you fly. They have a 10 mile diameter (5 mile radius) NFZ on an airport that has not been active or even used in over 20 years that you couldnt land an rc helicopter at.

They also list an NFZ around the Quincy airport where a pretty big RC airplane club meets and flys every weekend.
2017-5-27
Use props
Panaceabeachbu4
lvl.2
United States

So just did a bit more testing this problem only seems to exist in Active track, Im not getting the restricted zone message in any other flight mode.

Also FAA site does not show the School as a no fly zone.
2017-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules