Motor lifetime
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danneboyyyy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 664882 ft
Sweden

Hi.
I want to know about how long is the lifetime for phantom 3 advanced stock motors? (Version V2)
2017-5-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As long as you don't damage them, they will last longer than the aircraft will. Brushless motors have nothing to wear except the bearings.
2017-5-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I had such motors go a bit iffy on my helicopters, i just lubed the bearings when I noticed amps jump and battery life decrease - eventually i replaced the motor - I bet i could have replaced the bearings and it would work. To be honest I'd expect the ESC to burn up first - lot's of amps there.... But estimate on life.. no clue... Would be nice to know...
2017-5-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Just to be clear, it's not a good idea to lube the bearings on these DJI AC motors because they are sealed.  A drop of oil will attract dust...

I think in normal use the motors will last longer than the AC.  But if there are problems (dirt/sand in the motor, over heating, etc.), the bearings/motor will begin to go bad.  And yeah, I think the ESC is more likely to go bad before the motor.  Unfortunately the modern ESCs are part of the center board.

Over-heating will happen when you hard land upside down, the motors rev at high RPMs, and you don't turn off the motors quick enough for whatever reason.  
2017-5-28
Use props
Danneboyyyy
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-28 02:55
Just to be clear, it's not a good idea to lube the bearings on these DJI AC motors because they are sealed.  A drop of oil will attract dust...

I think in normal use the motors will last longer than the AC.  But if there are problems (dirt/sand in the motor, over heating, etc.), the bearings/motor will begin to go bad.  And yeah, I think the ESC is more likely to go bad before the motor.  Unfortunately the modern ESCs are part of the center board.

Thanks for the answer
2018-3-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

DJI motors are not sealed bearings ... they are SHIELDED .... they are also replaceable.

Second - lub'ing them is fine and not a problem as long as you are sparing with the oil.

A tiny drop applied by toothpick when motor is unbolted and Phantom inverted so you can just touch it to the shaft side .. spin motor by hand while still inverted ..... tissue to wipe away excess ... bolt back motor.

The subject of lub'ing motors is one that goes on and on in arguments on most forums whether drone / car / plane / etc. Its one of those subjects that the two sides will argue forever.

I know my P3S developed a slight whine and I lub'd as above .. motors all then ran smooth and quiet ... probably the oil 'washed' out dust rather than attracting it ! Those motors are now in my 450 FPV ... still as quiet even after swimming in the river.

Nigel
2018-3-30
Use props
Danneboyyyy
lvl.1

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-30 07:42
DJI motors are not sealed bearings ... they are SHIELDED .... they are also replaceable.

Second - lub'ing them is fine and not a problem as long as you are sparing with the oil.

I already got answer on my question about life time on the motors. But thank you for the information about lubing the motor bearings.
Have a nice day !
2018-3-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-3-30 07:42

A tiny drop applied by toothpick when motor is unbolted and Phantom inverted so you can just touch it to the shaft side .. spin motor by hand while still inverted ..... tissue to wipe away excess ... bolt back motor.

The subject of lub'ing motors is one that goes on and on in arguments on most forums whether drone / car / plane / etc. Its one of those subjects that the two sides will argue forever.

I know my P3S developed a slight whine and I lub'd as above .. motors all then ran smooth and quiet ... probably the oil 'washed' out dust rather than attracting it ! Those motors are now in my 450 FPV ... still as quiet even after swimming in the river.

Nigel

I would like to comment on your post.

I always thought these bearings were packed with specially graded grease (designed for these tiny bearings) and within a leak-proof chamber to keep the grease from leaking out - and also from contaminants from getting in.  But apparently, I'm wrong.  You seem to be saying that we can indeed lubricate our DJI motor bearings quickly and easily with a tool as simple as a toothpick.  This is the first I've heard of this.  Apparently, we can apply oil to the motor shaft somewhere which will somehow enter the bearing chamber.  Right?  I guess there is a inlet of some sort which will allow the oil to enter the chamber?  Is that right?  And this is beneficial.  Is that correct?  Won't this oil that's mixing with the grease contaminate or dilute the grease which is already in there?  Won't the oil that's applied to the outside of the motor attract dust?  If not, why not?  What oil would you recommend for this procedure?  3 in 1?  

2018-3-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-3-30 11:13
I would like to comment on your post.

I always thought these bearings were packed with specially graded grease (designed for these tiny bearings) and within a leak-proof chamber to keep the grease from leaking out - and also from contaminants from getting in.  But apparently, I'm wrong.  You seem to be saying that we can indeed lubricate our DJI motor bearings quickly and easily with a tool as simple as a toothpick.  This is the first I've heard of this.  Apparently, we can apply oil to the motor shaft somewhere which will somehow enter the bearing chamber.  Right?  I guess there is a inlet of some sort which will allow the oil to enter the chamber?  Is that right?  And this is beneficial.  Is that correct?  Won't this oil that's mixing with the grease contaminate or dilute the grease which is already in there?  Won't the oil that's applied to the outside of the motor attract dust?  If not, why not?  What oil would you recommend for this procedure?  3 in 1?  

solentlife is correct, the bearings are shielded, not sealed, but you are also correct in that the lubrication applied to them is gease, not oil. The correct procedure for lubricating them is to remove them, placed in an ultrasonic bath of degreaser, then into a bath of heated grease that is liquefied to allow the grease to penetrate the housing. Not a practical thing to do for the average user.

You can lubricate a dry bearing by placing a tiny drop of oil on the edges of the bearing shield, but it is not an ideal method of lubrication.
2018-3-30
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

As I said - its a hot topic that never sorts.

Mark - if you were right that bearings were SEALED - then your comment of Dust getting in cannot be correct.

Second regardless of what is initially put into the bearings at factory - after time deteriorates for one reason or another. The use of Light Cycle Oil (LCO as we call it in the trade) and what you would see as Sewing Machine Oil is a light lub highly suitable for use on brushless motors. It is thin enough to be able to enter despite the shield.
As I posted ... the motor being inverted and the drop placed on the side of the shaft ... spin motor and that tiny drop spreads and in it goes ... it really is that simple.

Mark you 'joke' about 3in1 - but in fact it is not a bad lub to use ... if you do not have LCO - its a very good substitute but NOT for your Sewing Machine !!

I do not suggest lub'g new motors or those that are still quiet and running nice. But as they age - it can extend the life and quieten down motors. I have a number of hard working motors in 3D and aerobatics as well as my P3 motors that receive a tiny drop every so often ... makes a big difference.

Finally .... ask any mechanical engineer about environment and lubricant use. Grease is fine BUT being highly viscous when any contaminant such as grit / dust gets into it - it can become a grinding paste - so in dusty environments unless the article is truly sealed - its better to use Oil.

Nigel
2018-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules