This is a cry for help, Phantom 3 erratic flight before disconnec.
12Next >
2808 43 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91762 ft
Norway

Hi Everyone,

The Issue :

Less then a month old Phantom 3 Standard during my 3rd flight today started to behave oddly, not responding well to the transmitter controls, intermittently loosing connection, then after a while RTH triggered, however it started moving in a very straight line in parralell to the RTH spot but not towards it, every time i regained connection i was looking at the map arrow that the drone was indeed pointing towards RTH so i attempted to fly forward but no response, infact it started drifting the opposit way before i got a wierd disconnect, video turned grey, its never gone grey before? Only frozen in frame but in color, and the drone was gone, Telemitry was Altitude 222meters (Nothing anywhere to collide with btw) and battery at 25% so both plenty of altitude and battery to still safely return home but last GPS location showed it over a small streach of water and after spending hours looking over the area it was clear it must have drowned in the ocean(The land mass in the area isnt very large, just small island type shapes with water in between). To be sure I had a friend fly over the gps location with his drone but nothing.

Got the Phantom May 5th, had 23 flights since then and not one single issue, hickup or anything suspicious. I do proper pre and post flight checks every single time and always compass calibration when at a new location. Flight data from the GO app shows plenty of satelites, shows the correct return to home position and no other issues then what i described above.

Im literally devestated..... I cant believe its gone already, less then a month.

Im trying to find where to contact DJI regarding this? Is there any hope in getting DJIs help? Looking at flight data to see what happened? I have synced and uploaded all of my flights including the last one.

So if there is any advice out there for who to talk to at DJI, or any other advice.. anyone from Norway had this covered by private insurance perhaps?

Last telemitry on DJI GO :
Altitude 222m
Battery 24%
Satelites 12

The story behind the story (I think its important for DJI to know):

17 Years ago when I was in my 20´s I was working on getting my PPL (Private Pilots License for Actual Airplanes), after some health issues that didnt seem so serious at the time I got the news I could never finish my license due to health problems. So the interest in both aviation and RC diminished greatly as the "dream" could never become reality. As with alot of cases like this I eventually ended up on permanent disability and had to come to terms with the permanent change.

Fast forward to around 2010 I was on YouTube and came accross the Parrot AR drone, it had a sort of FPV, there was video coming from it while it was flying in the air... the most amazing thing ive ever seen! Ofcourse the price was redicolus but the dream of getting "wings" had a small spark, so I made up my mind to try to start saving and follow the development. Beeing on disability there really isnt alot to "Save" from in the first place, hardly anything, so I also sold off some older RC toys to get the savings pot started.

It was really a life changing thing having the dream of flying again, even if it wasnt actual flying, you still get a sense of it with the live video.

7 years later May 2017 a local supermarket is having a sale to celebrate Norways independence day, the Phantom 3 Standard is on sale for 477$ (Trust me, thats cheap for here), talked it over with my Wife sevral times and decided on taking the "Hobby" savings and going for it, I was still lacking alittle in funds but she helped me out with the rest!

I couldnt belive it!!! I had a Phantom 3 drone!!! 7 years it took me to be able to get one and finally I had one that was ALOT better then the drone I had initially watched back in 2010. I start planning, scouting the whole area where I live, I go the nerdy route and make pre flight lists, start making a bag for it out of foam I had and was also able to get some hand me down ND filters from someone who crashed their drone. I had a friend 3d print wall mounts for it and a small case for the ND filters. Started taking video editing courses. Life was really bright!

Then today, for no reason that I can think of.. it flew away and drowned..... I´m really so devestated, I didnt want to write this here but the wife made me. Her and my daughter were both with me when it happened.

Please help.
2017-5-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.  In order to help, we will need you to post the flight log from your device to phantomhelp.com and post a link here to the data.  Without the data, and based on your description, I suspect that at 222 meters the wind was perhaps too much for the Phantom.  But we need the logs to se3e what happened.
2017-5-27
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-5-27 17:47
Sorry for your loss.  In order to help, we will need you to post the flight log from your device to phantomhelp.com and post a link here to the data.  Without the data, and based on your description, I suspect that at 222 meters the wind was perhaps too much for the Phantom.  But we need the logs to se3e what happened.

There wasn't really much wind and its a place I have flown multiple times and have gotten stunning sunset footage, but how do I get the flight log out of my phone so I can post it to phantom help?
2017-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The flight data recorded by the app will probably show what happened.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-5-27
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-27 18:38
The flight data recorded by the app will probably show what happened.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Thank you!

I made these :

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9HVV5A3H4TPL40O7PPCZ/

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=OHUPNQ
2017-5-27
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-27 18:44
Thank you!

I made these :

Im posting this as a base for comparison since it was a flight from the exact same location, exact same weather, and same altitude.

After looking on the flight myself, its just making less sense.

May 10 - Ok flight
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/ED9OB6H99O3DAV10VLQS/

May 27 - Lost connection, drone could not RTH and crashed in ocean.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9HVV5A3H4TPL40O7PPCZ/
2017-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

What can you say about the wind on the day you flew?
It appears that your Phantom was blown away because you put it high up in a wind that was stronger than the Phantom could deal with.
Your Phantom was up at almost 1000 feet where the winds are much stronger than what you feel on the ground.
From the time your Phantom entered RTH at 4:07.9 until the flight record ends 3:35 later, tou mostly left the Phantom to fly itself.
The only stick input was to bring it down to 735 feet and later pushing the right stick forward for 14 seconds.
In RTH the Phantom will only make 10 m/sec but you can fly faster 16 m/s (in still air).
You left the Phantom up high in a strong wind and it was blown away.
You need to be aware of winds and be careful about where/how you fly.
To get your Phantom back, you should have decreased altitude so the Phantom had a chance of fighting the wind and you should have taken over control and brought it back yourself at full speed.

Also .. it appears that you launched with the battery at 61%.
That didn't cause the problem but it's something you should not do.
If your Phantom had not been blown away, it could have caused other problems for you that may also have meant losing the Phantom.
Only fly with a fully charged battery.
2017-5-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-27 19:00
Im posting this as a base for comparison since it was a flight from the exact same location, exact same weather, and same altitude.

After looking on the flight myself, its just making less sense.

I am sorry for your loss. I looked at both flight records, and the one thing that stands out is the huge number of interference warnings. For most of the DJI aircraft, this is a bad sign, but in particular the Standard is just that bit more susceptible to interference. Did you see these warnings when you flew?

As to where the interference is coming from, the biggest suspect is the power installation on the hill just behind the car park you were flying from. The overhead transmission lines appear to go down into a below ground installation that I am guessing is where the lines go under water to reach the nearby island. High tension transmission lines normally do not cause problems unless they are arcing, but if they are, it can cause massive interference. Looking at the map of warnings, they seem to be evenly distributed along the flight path for both flights, this would tend to suggest the issue is at the RC end, not the aircraft end.
2017-5-27
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-27 19:13
What can you say about the wind on the day you flew?
It appears that your Phantom was blown away because you put it high up in a wind that was stronger than the Phantom could deal with.
Your Phantom was up at almost 1000 feet where the winds are much stronger than what you feel on the ground.

No more wind then any other day I was out flying, also I did not leave it to itself I was desperately trying to communicate, the one time you see me trying to increase altitude was also to regain control. After you see the path doing a loop over itself is where I started loosing control and started to try to bring it back, which was pretty early in the flight. My best way of describing what happened is it seemed like someone else took control of the drone or it had a mind of its own. RTH was weird too. The whole flight was actually.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-27 19:34
I am sorry for your loss. I looked at both flight records, and the one thing that stands out is the huge number of interference warnings. For most of the DJI aircraft, this is a bad sign, but in particular the Standard is just that bit more susceptible to interference. Did you see these warnings when you flew?

As to where the interference is coming from, the biggest suspect is the power installation on the hill just behind the car park you were flying from. The overhead transmission lines appear to go down into a below ground installation that I am guessing is where the lines go under water to reach the nearby island. High tension transmission lines normally do not cause problems unless they are arcing, but if they are, it can cause massive interference. Looking at the map of warnings, they seem to be evenly distributed along the flight path for both flights, this would tend to suggest the issue is at the RC end, not the aircraft end.

Yeah, I have had this message a lot since the first day flying my phantom no matter where I am. This location is very open and aside from the power lines you see going into the ground there really is nothing here. The last time I flew I had the same messages but the flight as you can see looked very different, perfect paths. So thats why I decided to go back out to the same spot. The spot is also elevated above mostly everything and there are nothing above, so a pretty perfect spot to fly in that manner.

RTH kicked in very early in the flight due to me loosing connection, but this time it did not help at all. It just had a mind of its own.

Also an even bigger mystery to me is why do I permanently loose connection at 222M and 24% battery. Just makes no sense.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 02:48
No more wind then any other day I was out flying, also I did not leave it to itself I was desperately trying to communicate, the one time you see me trying to increase altitude was also to regain control. After you see the path doing a loop over itself is where I started loosing control and started to try to bring it back, which was pretty early in the flight. My best way of describing what happened is it seemed like someone else took control of the drone or it had a mind of its own. RTH was weird too. The whole flight was actually.

I couldn't not cancel RTH as I had serious problems communicating with it, it would not respond to my controller, also towards the end I decreased the altitude as I'm sure you can see but nothing changed other then it cutting out entirely.

Sorry for the messy reply posting, I can't figure out how to edit.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 03:01
I couldn't not cancel RTH as I had serious problems communicating with it, it would not respond to my controller, also towards the end I decreased the altitude as I'm sure you can see but nothing changed other then it cutting out entirely.

Sorry for the messy reply posting, I can't figure out how to edit.

This is the reason I posted the two flights to compare, as its obviously hard for people who are not here to know what its like.

They are the same area, same weather, exactly the same launch point, and same altitude.

This wind is what I've flown in every single day since its like that here on the coast, and there has not been any issues.  
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 02:48

If the wind was gentle, the Phantom would have been able to make headway against it.
Up at the height you flew, the winds would have been much higher than you were aware of on the ground.
The flight data shows what happened and it's what DJI would look at too.
I'd be surprised if they come up with a different explanation.

There are 100 things that can go wrong flying a Phantom and it takes a lot of experience to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.
Your third flight isn't the time to be heading off well out of sight and 1000 feet up in a strong wind.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 03:12
If the wind was gentle, the Phantom would have been able to make headway against it.
Up at the height you flew, the winds would have been much higher than you were aware of on the ground.
The flight data shows what happened and it's what DJI would look at too.

Im sorry, 3rd flight of the specific Day, not my 3rd overall, and line of sight everywhere but sunset and sun in my eyes.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 03:15
Im sorry, 3rd flight of the specific Day, not my 3rd overall, and line of sight everywhere but sunset and sun in my eyes.

Ill just explain one more time that I've flown here before in the same conditions and the same altitude, also posted the logs, Wind does not explain its path after RTH kicked in. One thing I'm 100% certain off, it was not the wind, the issue started long before this, after the path loops itself as I explain, I go up in altitude to try to regain control, but the problem was already present.   This whole island where I live is fairly flat, its also pretty much in the ocean so no matter where I fly winds would be the same. If you zoom out far enough on google maps you would see what I mean.

I had a friend helping me look for my drone using his drone a while after and he had no wind issues. His drone is some unbranded flimsy china knock off but a similar footprint.

Battery drain is also perfectly on par with every other flight I've had, and wind would make its RTH path  a lot more erratic. RTH is a perfect line before it changes direction at the end away from me. Wind here on the coast has very strong gusts, it would have blown the drone far off course in short bursts multiple times if there was wind, it would also change direction a lot.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 03:38
Ill just explain one more time that I've flown here before in the same conditions and the same altitude, also posted the logs, Wind does not explain its path after RTH kicked in. One thing I'm 100% certain off, it was not the wind, the issue started long before this, after the path loops itself as I explain, I go up in altitude to try to regain control, but the problem was already present.   This whole island where I live is fairly flat, its also pretty much in the ocean so no matter where I fly winds would be the same. If you zoom out far enough on google maps you would see what I mean.

I had a friend helping me look for my drone using his drone a while after and he had no wind issues. His drone is some unbranded flimsy china knock off but a similar footprint.

I will get the wind data to either confirm or deny the wind theory. The data should still be available.
2017-5-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

IMO, it looks like strong high altitude winds from the south killed it.  Sorry for your loss.  
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 03:42
I will get the wind data to either confirm or deny the wind theory. The data should still be available.

Uploaded this just for you guys so you can see the exact spot it flew away.

This flight is from the first flight log May 10th : just so everyone can see the area.

Also altitude doesn't change wind speeds much in coastal areas like this.
2017-5-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

"Also altitude doesn't change wind speeds much in coastal areas like this."

The comment above takes a lot of mystery out of this flight.  I'm sorry but the bottom line is you lost your Phantom due to pilot error.  

2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-28 04:33
"Also altitude doesn't change wind speeds much in coastal areas like this."

Really? No need to be rude, especially not when you dont have a clue. Id obviously have to spend a very long time explaining this to you. I might be new to drone flight, but not to aviation or weather phenomena. Simply put, there is only ocean beyond this point, wind(air) is a fluid that looses speed over land masses that obstruct it.

I also took the time to get the historical wind/weather data hour by hour for the specific flight and maximum gusts did not exceed 12mph, average wind was 6mph. DJI States 20mph is where it would start to struggle, which is ALOT more. So discussing wind speeds or pilot errors is pointless at this point, cant be wind when there was no wind and it can't be the pilot when the pilot can't communicate with the drone.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 05:13
Really? No need to be rude, especially not when you dont have a clue. Id obviously have to spend a very long time explaining this to you. I might be new to drone flight, but not to aviation or weather phenomena. Simply put, there is only ocean beyond this point, wind(air) is a fluid that looses speed over land masses that obstruct it.

I also took the time to get the historical wind/weather data hour by hour for the specific flight and maximum gusts did not exceed 12mph, average wind was 6mph. DJI States 20mph is where it would start to struggle, which is ALOT more. So discussing wind speeds or pilot errors is pointless at this point, cant be wind when there was no wind and it can't be the pilot when the pilot can't communicate with the drone.

Ill just add something so you dont find a reason to make another rude remark, I'm talking about the wind speed differences in the altitudes of this flight, current conditions.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 05:19
Ill just add something so you dont find a reason to make another rude remark, I'm talking about the wind speed differences in the altitudes of this flight, current conditions.

Weather data for the location and time period.

https://www.wunderground.com/his ... .wmo=01311&MR=1
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 05:40
Weather data for the location and time period.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/ENBR/2017/5/27/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Vindnes&req_state=&req_statename=Norway&reqdb.zip=00000&reqdb.magic=107&reqdb.wmo=01311&MR=1

With the weather data one can calculate wind speeds higher up. The power law would not work well for this instance, but the log law takes into consideration the roughness of the terrain which in this case is water and as stated earlier very little obstruction for wind speeds.

Refrence average wind speed at ground level = 2.6m/s which gives a wind speed of 3.2m/s at 300meeters/1000ft. Which is 7.2mph.

Anyone can make their own calculations here : https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~jnoble/wind/extrap/
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

With your hands off the sticks, the Phantom was in RTH and going backwards at around 1.8 m/s.
If there was no wind it would have been flying towards you at 10 m/s.
What could possibly cause that? (apart from a headwind of 12+ m/s)
A vague report of surface winds for a site 20 km away really says nothing about winds up at 1000 ft - 730 feet where your Phantom was.
Despite your claims to the contrary, winds aloft are significantly higher than winds on the ground.
We don't need a hurricane to blow your Phantom away the way it did.
We just need 12+ m/sec which is easily possible up that high when your surface wind report shows 3-6 m/s on the ground.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 06:22
With your hands off the sticks, the Phantom was in RTH and going backwards at around 1.8 m/s.

I just did the math Labroides as I've done many times before studying for my PPL, its not wind, lets put that to rest now. The location where the wind speed was recorded is on the same costal line. This is not airplane altitudes, the math does not add up. This is not how wind works, you need obstructions on land to create air funnels or dramatic changes in wind speeds.

Your not even reading my replies, my hands were not off the sticks.

The evidence and data is there, believing anything else to be true does not make it true. Its not wind....
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:27
I just did the math Labroides as I've done many times before studying for my PPL, its not wind, lets put that to rest now. The location where the wind speed was recorded is on the same costal line. This is not airplane altitudes, the math does not add up. This is not how wind works, you need obstructions on land to create air funnels or dramatic changes in wind speeds.

I can't believe this is what this turned into, a discussion about wind. Wind(Air) Being a liquid has a gradient falloff, what does this mean? In a perfectly open area, lets picture a box thats 10m3, the wind speed is 5m/s in the middle of this box and no other forces are in play, the wind speeds will fall off towards the top and bottom of this box equally, there won't be a sudden dramatic increase either way. Lets say for the purpose of this explanation that the falloff is 0.5m/s for every 1m then at the top and bottom of this box the wind speed would be 2.5m/s.

If you think about it as a liquid, which it is. It also has a force on itself, so it would be impossible to suddenly have an increase like what you describe as that speed would gradually effect the wind speed at lower altitudes.

Wave your hand infront of your face up and down moving it closer and further away you get a good example of what I'm explaining.

It would take more altitude, a lot more, to see the wind speed differences you are talking about and even then only in gusts or side winds, funnels due to terrain etc. It doesn't just magically happen in a wide open costal area.
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:27

Since you seem to know it all (except what happened to your Phantom), this is the last time I'll waste effort on you.

From 7:29.8 until the flight record stops at 7:43, with no joystick input recorded, the Phantom was in RTH and going backwards at around 1.8 m/s.

The flight record seems to accurately show your joystick input reducing altitude from 5:33 to 6:16 and again at 6:30 to 6:37.
It's unlikely that it's showing the left stick properly but not the right stick.

Anyway ... I'm not going to bother with this any more.
You can work it out yourself and deal with DJI
Good Luck with that.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:41
I can't believe this is what this turned into, a discussion about wind. Wind(Air) Being a liquid has a gradient falloff, what does this mean? In a perfectly open area, lets picture a box thats 10m3, the wind speed is 5m/s in the middle of this box and no other forces are in play, the wind speeds will fall off towards the top and bottom of this box equally, there won't be a sudden dramatic increase either way. Lets say for the purpose of this explanation that the falloff is 0.5m/s for every 1m then at the top and bottom of this box the wind speed would be 2.5m/s.

If you think about it as a liquid, which it is. It also has a force on itself, so it would be impossible to suddenly have an increase like what you describe as that speed would gradually effect the wind speed at lower altitudes.

Can anyone answer why it wouldn't drop to its RTH altitude of 100m / 300ft when RTH kicked in? Does it only climb on RTH? Or why it stopped communicating at 24% battery and 222m altitude. (LOS)
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:47
Can anyone answer why it wouldn't drop to its RTH altitude of 100m / 300ft when RTH kicked in? Does it only climb on RTH? Or why it stopped communicating at 24% battery and 222m altitude. (LOS)

If you knew anything about RTH you'd know that the Phantom never descends to RTH.
If above the set RTH height, it will come home at that height.
You lost signal because you were out of range which is not hard to believe with the Standard at that distance.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 06:48
If you knew anything about RTH you'd know that the Phantom never descends to RTH.
If above the set RTH height, it will come home at that height.

Thats obviously why I asked.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 06:47
Since you seem to know it all (except what happened to your Phantom), this is the last time I'll waste effort on you.

From 7:29.8 until the flight record stops at 7:43, with no joystick input recorded, the Phantom was in RTH and going backwards at around 1.8 m/s.

Its because I kept loosing connection constantly as I've explained. I need help with the Phantom and why this happened because my knowledge about the phantom is very limited, not wind and weather.

Your stuck on the wind issue, even when there was no wind to speak off when there are a ton of things that could have failed to cause this... like the electronics.

Why isn't there a massive gain on the battery with all this wind you speak off?

How about entertaining other ideas? I just found a forum post with several users describing my exact issues with this flight, I wish I had seen it sooner.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-32459-1-1.html

I guess it was Wind for all of them too.
2017-5-28
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:47

It is my understanding that if it is less than the RTH altitude it will climb to the altitude you have set. If you are already above that it will turn to face 'home' and try its best to get there from the altitude it is already at. When (if) it reaches the home point it will then descend and try to land (unless the battery gets too low first in which case it will try to land wherever the battery goes critical) - I might be wrong
2017-5-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 07:00
Its because I kept loosing connection constantly as I've explained. I need help with the Phantom and why this happened because my knowledge about the phantom is very limited, not wind and weather.

Your stuck on the wind issue, even when there was no wind to speak off when there are a ton of things that could have failed to cause this... like the electronics.

Interference will swamp the radio signal.
It's common with the Standard, particularly in urban areas.
But it won't have any effect on RTH.

That thread explains the disappearance of your Phantom and somehow negates the explanation of wind stopping your Phantom from being able to RTH, you really do need help.
Unfortunately you're not going to believe it when you get it.

I'm definitely over and out now.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Knobbynomates Posted at 2017-5-28 07:10
It is my understanding that if it is less than the RTH altitude it will climb to the altitude you have set. If you are already above that it will turn to face 'home' and try its best to get there from the altitude it is already at. When (if) it reaches the home point it will then descend and try to land (unless the battery gets too low first in which case it will try to land wherever the battery goes critical) - I might be wrong

Thanks for that information about RTH.

I just found the video of the flight I did about 1 hour before the drone decided to disappear, the flight locations are about 10 minutes apart but same costal area. Im sure people will still claim wind, but judge for yourself combined with the weather data. Quality is poor since its the Wifi capture.

2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-28 07:25
Interference will swamp the radio signal.
It's common with the Standard, particularly in urban areas.
But it won't have any effect on RTH.

You know, normally I wouldn't reply to trolling, but its very frustrating when people are stating something that you know for a fact is not the case, and I really dont see what the point is?

You might as well be telling me that The Simpsons are red and not yellow.

Even after digging up historical weather data, the formula for calculating wind speed increase with altitude and to top it off a video just moments before and also a video of the exact area where it happened.

If it infact was wind it could easily be proven and I would have been proven wrong immediately beyond any doubt what so ever, I would also never waste mine or anyone else time had this been the case.

This was not a windy day..........
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 07:35
You know, normally I wouldn't reply to trolling, but its very frustrating when people are stating something that you know for a fact is not the case, and I really dont see what the point is?

Incase someone wants to look at this with fresh eyes, I'm going over the log again and at 4minutes 8 seconds RTH kicks in,  but there is absolutely no change in aircraft speed or direction at that point, Its going the same speed and direction as before.
2017-5-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

fans83dbc1c4 Posted at 2017-5-28 07:35

You accuse the member who helped you the most of being a troll?  That's rich.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans83dbc1c4
lvl.1
Norway

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-28 09:37
You accuse the member who helped you the most of being a troll?  That's rich.

Amazing that you could somehow turn it into that and more so destroying this thread (In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.)

Continuously disputing documented facts, even sarcastically so and suggesting a person needs "help" does not qualify as getting Help btw.

When did I accuse anyone of being a troll? I was replying to his last post calling it trolling the same as you are doing right now

Thanks for killing this thread and sending it way off topic.
2017-5-28
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120141 ft
United States

Maybe it is only me, but I do not see your home point being recorded in your healthy drones data as I always see in my logs. Just saying
2017-5-31
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

"Why isn't there a massive gain on the battery with all this wind you speak off?"
I assume you meant "drain".

I don't want to get into this argument, but I do have a comment on the RTH and wind conditions.  This is my understanding of how the wind will affect the RTH characteristics of the Phantom 3 series.  The RTH , Battery low warning, point  is calculated by the altitude and distance from the home point.  It does not take into account wind speed or direction.  Therefore, a 30% battery left will get you home if you were flying upwind.  But if you are way downwind the same distance, you may not make it back before Critical Battery is reached, if you make it back at all.  I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.  But I could be wrong.  If so, I'm sure someone will correct me.  No problem by me.

And one more thing.  I generally fly my P3Pro if I want any range at all.  My P3Standard will also act very erratic if I go beyond about 2,000 feet out. Others have gotten more range than that. But the point is, that a P3 is not a range or altitude machine.   It will lose signal and sometime bob up and down trying to regain connection if pushed too far.  I know its limitations and don't push it.
2017-5-31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules