line of sight or weak transmitter
741 4 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I got a refurbished P3 Standard and am wondring if the contoller could be weak, or if line of sight means NOTHING in the way.

I was only up 200 feet and 500 feet away today when the drone lost contact and (thankfully) did the RTH. The only thing between me and the drone was a 50 foot tree about 50 feet away from me and that was only briefly. Is that one tree enough to break the connection between the controller and the drone?

Or does it seem that the transmitter is weak?

Everything else with the P3 is perfect. The flight and camera footage are spectacular.

I am absolutely in love with this P3, have flown it a bunch of times but I am obviously still a rookie and making rookie mistakes.

Thanks in advance guys.
2017-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Both.
The Standard uses wifi and it's not great at punching a signal though.
Having a clear line of sight means one that is free of obstructions.
A few small branches might have no effect but if there's enough vegetation in the way, it will block signal.
2017-5-27
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-27 20:21
Both.
The Standard uses wifi and it's not great at punching a signal though.
Having a clear line of sight means one that is free of obstructions.

It seems like you are the guy who always answers questions. Thank you.
After posting this question I found a DJI tutorial that explained the whole thing and it was basically what you said.  So it would seem that my tree was the exact problem.
I was thinking that trees weren't a solid enough obstacle, like a building, but it seems that it is.
Thanks again!
2017-5-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Be sure you are aiming correctly.  
2017-5-28
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-27 22:44
It seems like you are the guy who always answers questions. Thank you.
After posting this question I found a DJI tutorial that explained the whole thing and it was basically what you said.  So it would seem that my tree was the exact problem.
I was thinking that trees weren't a solid enough obstacle, like a building, but it seems that it is.

P3 standard might check. Go to settings. Click where it say P-GPS up top. If Enable Max Distance is turned on then max distance is 500 feet. Slide it to Turn it off. Now set your max Height also, US is 400 feet so set it at 120 meters

I raise it to 400 feet(max) and fly it  Max Distance 3,235 ft
I got nearly 100' trees at the back of my yard about 200 feet away.

Mileage may vary depends on where you at, city a lot more interference from other wifi's on the 2.4 GHz band. I live in the country
2017-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules