Considering changing to iOS... good or bad?
2398 39 2017-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153947 ft
Belgium

Hi,

Since the latest version (4.1.0) of the app and the latest firmware 01.03.0700, I lost very regular my connection with my Mavic.
I currently use a OnePlus 2... with stock OS. So not rooted or anything special...
During the past days and I lost everytime my aircraft. It says disconnected. It also restarts the app... several times.
When looking around in the forum, I noticed that iPad Mini (4) scores high for stability. I also looked to the poll in this forum...
I'm a little lost here...

Any suggestion are more then welcome...
2017-5-28
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Well, a year or so ago,I saw the new Samsung phones and tablets and considered changing from IOS to Android but when reading the endless list of problems of the DJI-drones and -app with Android I kept my iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2 (that last one for my Phantom 4 Pro). Have never had major issues and all new features are first available for IOS also. GS PRO, for example, is still not available for Android.
2017-5-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

If you're not wedded emotionally or philosophically to Android and just want something that works, I'd say go for it.
2017-5-28
Use props
Dan Hairy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32887 ft
United Kingdom

I was using an Android phone and was enduring lots of app crashes plus the screen was a bit too small for me to see so I decided to get a Ipad Mini 3 with wifi and cell and haven't looked back it's been flawless. I still don't think I could convert myself to an Iphone so keeping the android for everything else.
2017-5-28
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

It seems that most of the people having problems are using android devices.  I'm using an iPhone 7 and have never had a problem. *knock on wood*
2017-5-28
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

I switched from Android to IOS (ipad mini 2 and air 2), never looked back. Not a single app crash/disconnect using IOS. With Android I couldn't get the MP off the ground before the app crashed!
2017-5-28
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

I've always had Apple -- and never had a problem with any disconnects or app crashes (knock on wood) but I started with Apple because I've had Apple products for so many years.    I started with an iPhone 7Plus but switched to an iPad Mini 4 with GSM ( never activated the GSM) for the location / maps that I get where I fly.

As I've read through all the many forums, it seems that many of the problems people post about are somehow related to the Android system.  Apple is Apple - but Android has so many variations, flavors and extras that the phone / tablet manufacturers add in as a differentiation that it seems DJI prefers the iOS to Android.

As Always - YMMV.  Good luck
2017-5-28
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

DJI seems to have a good relationship with Apple.  Apple sells DJI products in their stores and on their website.
2017-5-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

As others have pointed out, for whatever reason the DJI Go 4 app seems to have a lot fewer problems on iOS devices, so if you're willing to spend the money I don't think you'll regret it. And yes, there seem to be a lot of people using the iPad Mini 4 who are pleased with its stability: in fact, I'm one of them.
2017-5-28
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an android phone, lg v20 but use the iPad mini 4 for flying. The mini 4 fits nice and snug in the controller arms. Works great.
2017-5-28
Use props
CrazyHorse019
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348540 ft
United Kingdom

Is the app litchi no the cheaper option here? £20 for the app v £150 for a mini2 - £210 for a mini3 secondhand. What are peoples experiences with litchi on android? Any major crashes? reason i ask is because funnily enough im getting to the point where I am so tired of DJI dragging their heals on this that im either selling my drone or just going to buy and ipad. If android peeps can vouch for litchi, I will try that and see how far it gets me.
2017-5-29
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say go for the move to IOS you won't be sorry.
2017-5-29
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

I spent exactly 1 day attempting to get 3 diff android devices to work. Bought Ipad mini4 the next day.
2017-5-29
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

i was an Android user,  but after all sorts of niggles i bit the bullet and got a ipad 4 mini  and its been superb ever since,  i have locked at .400 though,  so cant comment on ver .700,   and wont update again , unless DJI change their mind and start making some real working firmware,  so fed up being a firmware tester !   up till locking on .400,  i have spent 50% of the mavics total flight time testing firmwares and doing upgrades/ downgrades,   not anymore !
2017-5-29
Use props
Safari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

If you want the best experience with your Mavic, definitely go for an IOS device. Some OS are just more stable than other ones. It was always like that and still is.
2017-5-30
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

I am and will most likely forever be an Android guy... except when it comes to my Mavic Pro. I purchased the iPad Mini 4 strictly for use when flying my MP. It's taken some getting used too... but well worth the investment.
2017-5-30
Use props
Zero111
New

Ukraine

I switched from Android to IOS
2017-5-30
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Another vote to switch...not by any means brand loyal but IOS just seems to work better with the Mavic.....
2017-5-30
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I switched to an iPad mini to fly. I generally dislike apple products - their products over priced for what they do/are imho. Like you, my android app kept crashing / losing signal /etc; it was to the point where I was tempted to return the mavic. With the iPad mini 4 - not one issue (except with the recent release). Also, I need my mac to configure my NAZA FCs - so it seems like DJI favors apple.
2017-5-30
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No issues with iPhone 7, iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 4. Been faultless. Can't comment on Android but plenty of others have done already with reliability being the key topic of discussion. Is that enough to warrant it? You decide.
2017-5-30
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

I really dislike Apple products but for DJI products, it is almost required since their Android stability SUCKS!  It piisses me off to even think about the situation.
2017-5-30
Use props
Joly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153947 ft
Belgium

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the replies. Helped me a lot
A last question: which version of the iPad Mini 4 do you recommend?
Only WiFi or WiFi+Cell? Do I really need GPS on the iPad?
2017-5-30
Use props
Defination
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49508 ft
Greece

Joly Posted at 2017-5-30 12:16
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the replies. Helped me a lot

For the Mavic i bought my first IOS device (owner of Sansung S7 Edge).
I never regret it!!!
I have the Ipad mini 4 and im using my Samsung as mobile hotspot.
2017-5-30
Use props
Panaceabeachbu4
lvl.2
United States

Same here, wifi Mini4, Just load maps before I go, phone as hotspot when necessary
2017-5-30
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes go for it. DJI is geared more toward IOS than Andriod.
2017-5-30
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I agree with everyone here. But the crazy part of me is asking why  was it working flawlessly. And now my android doesn't work. Makes you afraid to update anything. It should be like that.
2017-5-30
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

As an Android user myself,  I'm extremely interested in this topic as I have a cell phone upgrade coming soon.  At the moment I'm using both a samsung galaxy S6 edge and an S2 tablet, both of which drop the go app on a regular basis. The phone is marginally more reliable than the tablet which often needs a hard restart just to connect with the controller and Mavic. I like the look and specification of the new samsung S8 plus, but am seriously considering getting an iPhone 7s, which I consider an inferior phone when compared to the Samsung S8 in every way other than its reliability with the Mavic.
2017-5-30
Use props
fans2af304fc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102999 ft
Singapore

As long as your phones are high-end, i guess it should be safe technically.
I have used iPhone 7+, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, no problem whatsoever.
Currently I am using Huawei Mate 9.
If you can, get iPhone 7+ 256Gb model. Top notch one.
Very worth it if you get it with contract discount.
I switched to Android not because I don't like my iphone, but because i bought a Mavic pro.
2017-5-30
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Guess I got lucky. All I had when I first flew Mavic was a Cheap < $100 ZTE android phone. It worked flawlessly with Go4 app as well as Litchi. Never a single issue. I wanted a bigger screen so went for the Ipad Mini4 because many recommended it. Like all Apple products it's ridiculously overpriced IMO. Always used PC and android stuff prior. First experience with Apple. One of the things I find annoying is after I power off the Ipad mini and then plug it into charger it powers back on. seems stupid that it does this I just wish it would stay powered off unless I turn it on again.
Also loking or a lightning connector that is right angle so it doesn't stick out the side of Ipad as much.
2017-5-30
Use props
noob
lvl.2

Singapore

No issues encountered so far on my iPhone 6S and iPad Mini 4 which I bought only 3 weeks ago.  Bought the Mini 4 because of rumours that it will soon be discontinued by Apple,  So suggest that you don't take too long making the decision, in case those rumours are true.
2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

Hi,
I'm also on Android and super frustrated when I cannot fly because the app simply blacks out.
But I purchased Litchi for EUR 25 and it's worked perfectly every time. That said there is a learning curve when you come from dji go and I feel there are not as many intelligent flight modes as on dji go 4 (for instance no tripod mode). But their course lock / homelock are super easy to access and work very well.

So before investing in the ipad consider Litchi (please note though that you will need to purchase also an iOS licence if you decide to make the switch afterwards)
2017-5-31
Use props
xxboylan
New

China

I recently changed to iPhone 7 and the app runs better than my Sony Xperia Z5.
2017-9-7
Use props
RadarMB
New
Flight distance : 7713 ft
United States

I use both the iPhone 7 and the Xperia and prefer the Xperia because I can't get the offline maps to work on the iPhone. note that I have no service on either. But have not had any issues with either
2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Since DJI Go 4 4.1.0 I had several crashes of the app on my Samsung S6. Waited for updates and tried every fix they post on this forum. Nothing worked.

Spend some more money and bought myself an iPad 4 Mini. Since then I fly with a smile on my face.

So Yes... go for it...
2017-9-9
Use props
Adam9997
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2608901 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use nexus 6p, had one app restart during flight but it quickly reconnected without issues. The main reason I switched to a iPad mini 4 was desire to have a larger screen and a dedicated device. One thing  that annoyed me with 6p was receiving call and SMS notifications while flying. iPad performs really well but I miss the ability to download offline maps.  To fix that I create a hotspot with my phone.
2017-9-9
Use props
xxboylan
New

Japan

When I switched to iPhone, I found out the  allover performance is much better on Android, even the flagship ones.
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

noob Posted at 2017-5-30 18:52
No issues encountered so far on my iPhone 6S and iPad Mini 4 which I bought only 3 weeks ago.  Bought the Mini 4 because of rumours that it will soon be discontinued by Apple,  So suggest that you don't take too long making the decision, in case those rumours are true.

if apple discontinues it they aren't going to axe support.. even the long since discontinued 2013 iPhone 5S apple gave the full iOS 11 treatment..
2017-9-15
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

xxboylan Posted at 2017-9-15 00:10
When I switched to iPhone, I found out the  allover performance is much better on Android, even the flagship ones.

i agree,  and i tend to switch back and forth a lot.. my latest experience has been horrible with android however.. samsung S8 here.. totally regret getting it on contract, even though it is a shortened one, i regret it, and i will be switching to an iPhone again in coming months..  maybe ill front the money to get the latest, but more likely ill pick up a used iPhone 6S Plus once they flood the market..

usually my experience with apple vs android is mixed.. strong points on one side and the other.. used to carry both, but recently apple has really been pushing the optimization game strong, i regret selling my iPhone 7 Plus badly! more then normal!
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

PhanFran Posted at 2017-5-28 08:07
Well, a year or so ago,I saw the new Samsung phones and tablets and considered changing from IOS to Android but when reading the endless list of problems of the DJI-drones and -app with Android I kept my iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2 (that last one for my Phantom 4 Pro). Have never had major issues and all new features are first available for IOS also. GS PRO, for example, is still not available for Android.

There have been some incompatibility issues with newer Android devices and the App. Engineers were aware of this and had been working accordingly.  If you have a mobile device that is working well with your aircraft, consider sticking to that. You can always update at a later time.
2017-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I do think an iPad will be the next purchase after buying my drone.
I own a iPhone SE, but feel that screen is too small for a decent flying experience.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules