Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: Want the OPTION to AUTO record video between takeoff & land...
123Next >
9092 95 2017-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

Hat tip to ALX for starting the discussion over here.

Single SelectVote, Total 357 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-5-29
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Is it not too redundant since we already have a dedicated button to do just that?
2017-5-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Canada

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-29 06:08
Is it not too redundant since we already have a dedicated button to do just that?

the key word here is "AUTO".
2017-5-29
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 06:09
the key word here is "AUTO".

Oh sorry, I though the keyword is OPTION. Either way it is still redundant.
2017-5-29
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-29 06:08

You already have a throttle stick to takeoff with but then you have a swipe to auto takeoff also .
2017-5-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Canada

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-29 06:25
Oh sorry, I though the keyword is OPTION. Either way it is still redundant.

Cute response.
2017-5-29
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

And then you forgot it is recording and suddenly SD CARD FULL to moment you want to take a picture or film a shot after you have been looking for nice things to film.
2017-5-29
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-29 06:26
You already have a throttle stick to takeoff with but then you have a swipe to auto takeoff also .

Auto record is not as crucial as auto takeoff or auto rth. Despite focusing effort on introducing a new option that can be done using a single press of a button, they should put more effort on fixing bugs and improving app stability.
2017-5-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Canada

Nees Posted at 2017-5-29 06:38
And then you forgot it is recording and suddenly SD CARD FULL to moment you want to take a picture or film a shot after you have been looking for nice things to film.

I export and reformat my 64GB card before I fly so I would have enough space to record a full flight.

I would also expect that you would have the option to stop/start the recording mid flight to save space if needed.
2017-5-29
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 06:47
I export and reformat my 64GB card before I fly so I would have enough space to record a full flight.

I would also expect that you would have the option to stop/start the recording mid flight to save space if needed.

A feature that is already there to stop and start

Ohwell, I just say no anyway. I record when I want to record. I still don't understand people forget to record. Sure I also had it once, but that was because I was experimting and not recording something to use. So afterwards I was like: oh I didn't record that, but it would ne trash-material anyway. The moment I intend to record, I'm aware im going to record.

Also, battery will die quicker when recording. Might not be much, but does use more battery.
2017-5-29
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I believe people are more lazy because of tech.
Just like cars now, please break if I don't.
2017-5-29
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1217520 ft
  • >>>
United States

How about a autostop record to cancel out the auto record in case you forget to stop recording and you don't want to fill up your SD card?
2017-5-29
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
United States

How about Dji adding the function and if you don't want to use then don't #king select it . Why do people feel the need to argue about every little thing that doesn't interest them ?
2017-5-29
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-5-29 06:51
A feature that is already there to stop and start

Ohwell, I just say no anyway. I record when I want to record. I still don't understand people forget to record. Sure I also had it once, but that was because I was experimting and not recording something to use. So afterwards I was like: oh I didn't record that, but it would ne trash-material anyway. The moment I intend to record, I'm aware im going to record.

If you can't understand how people can forget to hit record how can you imagine they would forget to stop ?

"And then you forgot it is recording and suddenly SD CARD FULL to moment you want to take a picture or film a shot after you have been looking for nice things to film. "

Also I'm sure people would miss that 15 seconds of flight time a recording has used up ,lol
2017-5-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

You can do this on litchi so why not djigo4...
2017-5-29
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This wouldn't be a bad feature, but I'd rather see dev time placed towards other things, like, say a panoramic mode or the ability to take stills while video is being recorded, more intelligent mode features, etc.
2017-5-29
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-29 09:41
This wouldn't be a bad feature, but I'd rather see dev time placed towards other things, like, say a panoramic mode or the ability to take stills while video is being recorded, more intelligent mode features, etc.

To be honest, DJI had profits of $416 Million in 2016 and a valuation of $10 Billion.

I think they have the resources and devs to add all those features and more.
2017-5-29
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 12:16
To be honest, DJI had profits of $416 Million in 2016 and a valuation of $10 Billion.

Even though they make millions of profit they still have to make choices.
And for me the auto record feature is one of the options they :
-may consider and immediately drop it.
2017-5-29
Use props
Bond006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

I AFC  on the ground at a far subject when I take off to about 100 metres, then focus on a subject that has contrast furthest away then lock it with Manual Focus.  This way Focus is always clear at take off and landing.
2017-5-29
Use props
Bond006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 12:16

do DJI plans to be a publicly traded company?
2017-5-29
Use props
chalde
First Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nope - don't care at all. You don't have auto-record when you boot up your camera/video camera. It's already dumb proof as it is, with all the warning message. Let's not turn this into an Idevice.
2017-5-29
Use props
Konsmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1209931 ft
Norway

I delete enough footage as it is now, also auto recording would have eaten up all the space on the SD card if you forget to turn it off.
2017-5-29
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Just use Litchi app it will do this.
2017-5-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 06:47

If you can't remember to start recording then you won't remember to stop/start the recording mid flight.
There are more important things than this.
2017-5-29
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Love this idea and super simple.  I hate forgetting a shot...this should be a standard feature!
2017-5-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy litchi, problem solved.....
2017-5-30
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I like the idea and think it would be useful... a small button in once corner of the screen that when turned on the drone will auto record on takeoff till landing. Don't know why so many people say this should't be a feature ?
2017-5-30
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

use litchi that has auto record if needed ;)
2017-5-30
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-30 04:05
I like the idea and think it would be useful... a small button in once corner of the screen that when turned on the drone will auto record on takeoff till landing. Don't know why so many people say this should't be a feature ?

Some people don't want options, I guess?
2017-5-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-30 11:40
Some people don't want options, I guess?

Well, too many options can be a bad thing from an interface perspective, overwhelming the user. In this case I think it wouldn't be too burdensome to have such a feature, I just personally wouldn't likely use it and would prefer dev resources used on something I would use.

This is also one of those things that seems to me a fix for a temporary problem -- after a few times of forgetting to hit record, you learn to pay more attention the next time, and anyone flying a drone should be paying close attention to what they're doing or they probably shouldn't be in the air.

It also reminds me of the common requests to add an option to toggle gimbal dial direction -- I was one of those calling for such -- but I soon after learned to "pull down, push up" and now it's no longer a problem to be solved by a developer. This is all why mine was a "no" vote.

2017-5-30
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-30 13:07
Well, too many options can be a bad thing from an interface perspective, overwhelming the user. In this case I think it wouldn't be too burdensome to have such a feature, I just personally wouldn't likely use it and would prefer dev resources used on something I would use.

This is also one of those things that seems to me a fix for a temporary problem -- after a few times of forgetting to hit record, you learn to pay more attention the next time, and anyone flying a drone should be paying close attention to what they're doing or they probably shouldn't be in the air.

"Well, too many options can be a bad thing from an interface perspective, overwhelming the user. In this case I think it wouldn't be too burdensome to have such a feature, I just personally wouldn't likely use it and would prefer dev resources used on something I would use."

I'm sure there are plenty of features that you use that others may not care for . It's a simple selection box that you check if you want auto-record or not . Doesn't get more simple than that . For those that forget to hit record they can click the box , for those that find it burdensome you just leave it alone .  There's a switch for auto-land but I never use it and it doesn't bother me that it is there . There is a switch for auto-focus because a lot of people were forgetting to tap to focus .  Suggesting that someone who forgets to hit record should not be flying is as laughable as your ego seems to be ,LOL.
2017-5-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Suggesting that someone who forgets to hit record should not be flying is as laughable as your ego seems to be ,LOL.

Thanks for the response. I would say that if someone always forget to hit record, then they shouldn't be flying, as they're likely to forget other more important things. But what's actually happening is that new users sometimes forget and would like an easy way to ensure this doesn't happen again. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but fair enough.
I'd rather have dev attention on other stuff, but that's why this is a poll.
2017-5-30
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
United States

One point of clarification: It's not like I go up, fly around for 15 minutes, land and say "Damn, i never hit the record button!".

What actually happens is that I go up, frame a shot, hit the record button and then stop recording.  1 minute later, I go and frame another shot or something quickly appears that would be nice to capture and I forget to hit the record button because I'm too busy framing the shot in real time.

These are the situations I wish I had automatically recorded video the whole time. I can always edit a big file later.  

2017-5-30
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

I wouldnt object to it if it could be disabled. I fly litchi alot and I usually turn recording back off until I frame the shot. The first week I recorded every second of flight, now I am more selective.  have   so many hundreds of gigs of video ill never watch.
2017-5-30
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

If they improve the AF then why not? Like Hallmark said, it is on Litchi so why not?
2017-5-30
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Might as well. Put it in the options where it's not cluttering up the ui.
2017-5-30
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Just not terribly important IMO. Available on other apps if one feels it is crucial. Would prefer to see a better autofocus setup. Don't like to tap screen or press button. If everything you are shooting is far enough away it doesn't matter you can set focus and leave it but say you have focus set to infinity then come floating down closer to or through trees etc, the close up items will be out of focus and if you tap or press button to refocus your video is basically ruined because you will see the camera working to refocus in the video. Awkward.
2017-5-30
Use props
octm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84695 ft
United States

It definitely doesn't hurt to have this as an option... it still be an option, so no one here need to actually use it
At least for me looks more useful than the fixed wing mode...
2017-6-6
Use props
CynicalZombie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

Rather than Auto-Record (or in addition to), I'd rather see an option which would allow me to locally cache videos w/ audio even if I'm not recording. And bump up that 16GB to a size of my choosing.  I can handle at least a 64GB cache on my 256GB iPhone.  There are plenty of times I record getting to and from the shot I actually want to get just so I have footage in case something happens.
2017-6-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't usually disagree too much with Ex Machina, but I do here.  I think the OPTION would be great.  I try to remember to record 100% of the time I fly.  That way, when/if something does happen, I have a little more evidence to investigate and troubleshoot with.  You talk about "you should pay more attention to flying".  That's exactly why the option should be there.  If I have to try to remember when to record and when to stop recording, I am paying less attention to flying.  It's hard enough to do with these lousy small screen that don't work in the sun.  Take a little burden off by at least knowing it will record all the time if you want it to.  And by the way, there should be very little development effort needed.  The button is there, as is the button in software for on-screen control of record.  The option toggle would simply add a line of code to trigger that software switch to ON at startup or takeoff and OFF when landing or shutting down.  You can't fill up a card on one battery anyway, so you aren't going to run out of room.
2017-6-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules