Check/update your homepoint after DJI GO app crashes!
2075 16 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crashlander
New
Flight distance : 263589 ft
Finland

Hi, I was filming today with my P3S and suddenly the DJI Go app once again crashed during flight. Since I'm an Android user that didn't surprise me too much due to recent software bugs reported from many users..
Anyway, my app crashed and no harm was done, because I had full control via RC and visual. I simply restarted the app and everything was fine until I started to get low battery warnings and the RTH kicked in.
During the RTH I noticed that my "old homepoint" was somehow erased during the app crash and the new homepoint was updated to the location where the drone was at the moment I restarted the DJI GO app. This resulted very unpredictable manouver to my Phantom and I almost crashed it before figuring out what was going on...

So FYI: Please pay attention to your homepoint settings if/when your DJI GO app freezes or crashes.
2017-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Thanks for the info.  I've heard of somebody else posting about this issue a while back.  It makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

I think this might be a good reason to prefer the Litchi flight app.  
2017-5-30
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

yes, good advice, ALWAY check your homepoint before invoking RTH, if possible.  Else, you may have an unpleasant surprise.....
2017-5-30
Use props
DIott3113
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1797516 ft
United States

My DJI GO app crashed 4 times today during a real estate photo shoot engagement. This was the first time ever that my DJI GO has ever crashed in over 225 missions.  I have to wonder if this has something to do with the last firmware update last weekend.  
2017-6-1
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

What Go app version is on your mobile device? I use the version 3.1.5 and the app was not freezing or crashing during flight.
2017-6-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you verify what mobile device and Go app version you're using? I'm assuming that you were flying for a while before the RTH kicked in, correct? Do you recall how far off the new home point was in comparison to your previous one? Did you at any point get any notification that the home point was updated?
2017-6-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This sounds unlikely as the homepoint is not recorded by the app unless you manually change it.
The homepoint is set by the Phantom when you power it up and stored in the Phantom so that it can RTH if signal is lost.
What made you think that the homepoint had been reset to the location of the Phantom?
You could check the details as they will be recorded in the flight data.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
It  might be recorded as one or two flights but the homepoint/s will be shown in the data.
2017-6-2
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
United States

i will test that out

thanks for heads up!
2017-6-2
Use props
fans6848359e
New
Flight distance : 56772 ft
United States

Could someone help me with this issue... the last flight was broken into 2 flights because the home point was reset (I'm assuming). But this occurred after my S6 (dji go 3.5.1) went black and " lost connection - RTH" in red came on. My controller was beeping and my P3S up and disappeared (2 minutes into the "first flight") I had just calibrated the compass within 10 feet of where I was standing when it vanished. The warnings say it's returning home, yet it's going opposite of both home set points...thanks for any help!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7I534BDO2TYT31XFOQM7/

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LR7LIKF7G20BH9ZX2ZOP/
2017-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fans6848359e Posted at 2017-6-23 11:17
Could someone help me with this issue... the last flight was broken into 2 flights because the home point was reset (I'm assuming). But this occurred after my S6 (dji go 3.5.1) went black and " lost connection - RTH" in red came on. My controller was beeping and my P3S up and disappeared (2 minutes into the "first flight") I had just calibrated the compass within 10 feet of where I was standing when it vanished. The warnings say it's returning home, yet it's going opposite of both home set points...thanks for any help!

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7I534BDO2TYT31XFOQM7/

Your flight record was broken into two ... but the home point was not changed.
Home won't change unless you change it.  It has to stay set so the Phantom can RTH if necessary through loss of signal.

Looking at your flight, you can check the home point in the CSV data and it's the same one for both records.
I see one problem at the start ... you took off with a partially discharged battery.
This did not cause the loss of the Phantom in this flight but it is a very bad practice that can cause Phantoms to fall from the sky.

The problem with your flight was that you left your Phantom up at 650 feet battling a headwind that was too strong for it to make any headway.
Your Phantom was trying to get home and knew it was getting further away but the wind was too strong.
You could have descended to a level where the wind was not as strong and/or taken control rather than leaving the slow RTH to do the driving.
Doing nothing, you allowed your Phantom to be blown away.
It will have continued until the battery reached critical low level and then autodescended somewhere further downwind from where it was last in range.
It's not possible to say how far it would have blown.
2017-6-23
Use props
fans6848359e
New
United States

I lost R/C Connection around 2 minutes into the flight while still in line of sight.  "LOST COONECTION" enabled the RTH which caused it to ascend.
2017-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans6848359e Posted at 2017-6-29 04:42
I lost R/C Connection around 2 minutes into the flight while still in line of sight.  "LOST COONECTION" enabled the RTH which caused it to ascend.

Sounds like you had your RTH height set much too high.
But you can stop the ascent and bring the Phantom down - you don't have to let it go so high or stay up there.
The problem with your flight was that you left your Phantom up at 650 feet battling a headwind that was too strong for it to make any headway.
2017-6-29
Use props
fans6848359e
New
United States

I admit I changed height while messing around with intelligent flight modes.I tried to toggle s2 to end rth, as well as use the sticks.. my remote controller was beeping obnoxiously and not responding to manual commands. What would cause the app to black out (I've had app crashes,  but this was different and beyond worse) and controller to keep beeping? I've been flying from the same location, calibrating compass before every flight....
2017-6-29
Use props
fans6848359e
New
United States

And it appears that the home point moves to the end of the first segment log. ..?
2017-6-29
Use props
JustinMcFarland
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-30 07:44
Thanks for the info.  I've heard of somebody else posting about this issue a while back.  It makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

It might have been my story: http://forum.dji.com/thread-97654-1-1.html
2017-6-29
Use props
JustinMcFarland
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-30 07:44

It might have been my story: http://forum.dji.com/thread-97654-1-1.html
2017-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans6848359e Posted at 2017-6-29 07:00
I admit I changed height while messing around with intelligent flight modes.I tried to toggle s2 to end rth, as well as use the sticks.. my remote controller was beeping obnoxiously and not responding to manual commands. What would cause the app to black out (I've had app crashes,  but this was different and beyond worse) and controller to keep beeping? I've been flying from the same location, calibrating compass before every flight....

"What would cause the ... controller to keep beeping?"

The controller was beeping to tell you that your Phantom was in RTH.
You never cancelled RTH

"And it appears that the home point moves to the end of the first segment log"

I'm not sure what you base that on.
The Home point at the start of the flight was recorded as: 35.41545366        -99.41409499
And it kept the same home point right through both flight records.

If you had cancelled RTH and brought your Phantom down, you could have piloted it home.
If you had just brought it down to a sensible height by pulling the left stick down, RTH would have been able to fight the headwind.
You allowed your Phantom to be blown away.
2017-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules