Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How do people using PolarPro filters adjust?
11418 13 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parkker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Not sure the best way to use these polarized filters. If you look through them and slowly rotate they get dimmer/brighter.
What is the sweet spot? Can't really turn them after mounting while looking at camera view in app to tell what they are doing.

Personally I have basically been just looking through them while holding up to one eye then when they are
at point of strongest light filtering effect, keep this position and look at lettering on PolarPro rim to use as reference.

Next do my best to maintain this relative position while pushing onto lens with gimbal lock in place so I don't
put any undue stress on gimble.

Looking for advice on how others use these  polarized ND filters properly.

Thanks.

2017-5-30
Use props
Capt Jack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37566 ft

United States

Hey, Ed Ricker has a very informative Blog on this subject. Hope this helps
2017-5-30
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

I have the Vivid collection just like he has in the video.  My videos look great in the sunshine but anything in the shade looks really dark even when using the lowest filter -- the ND 4PL.  I guess I need to rotate them and look on the phone in both the sun and shade before pushing it onto the camera.  
2017-5-30
Use props
StigNygaard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

I know how polarized filters works from ordinary (DSLR) photography. And I can't imagine using it on a drone, because they only work correctly in the direction they are adjusted (rotated) for. So when your turn the drone to film or take shots in another direction you have to land first and re-adjust the filter correctly for the new shooting/filming direction.

If the pol filter is not correctly rotated for the direction you are shooting in, it either wont have any effect at all (besides as a general ND filter) or you will see the effect only in half the picture which looks really ugly.

So it has to be a well-planned and very important shot or movieclip before I would even consider using a pol filter.
2017-5-30
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-5-30 21:41
I know how polarized filters works from ordinary (DSLR) photography. And I can't imagine using it on a drone, because they only work correctly in the direction they are adjusted (rotated) for. So when your turn the drone to film or take shots in another direction you have to land first and re-adjust the filter correctly for the new shooting/filming direction.

If the pol filter is not correctly rotated for the direction you are shooting in, it either wont have any effect at all (besides as a general ND filter) or you will see the effect only in half the picture which looks really ugly.

Thanks that clarifies things nicely.
2017-5-31
Use props
willhay555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

ND or polarizing filter?
2017-6-2
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

The PolarPro combination ND/Polarizing filters. Or just a plain polarizer since if it is only ND filter shouldn't matter which way it is installed.
2017-6-2
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I am using the DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection.
The main advantage is that you don't need to turn it for adjustment.
Just pop them on and your ready to fly.
2017-6-2
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-6-2 11:23
I am using the DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection.
The main advantage is that you don't need to turn it for adjustment.
Just pop them on and your ready to fly.

I have these and they are polarized meaning if you hold up in front of computer monitor and turn you will see them darken/lighten.
2017-6-2
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Parkker Posted at 2017-6-2 17:27
I have these and they are polarized meaning if you hold up in front of computer monitor and turn you will see them darken/lighten.

Holy cow!!! You are right.
I just tested it out with a monitor and i see what you mean.
When i yesterday tested it out I looked at my bunny rabbit cage in bright sun light and didn't see the darkening.

But has this effect on my footage when i use them ?
Or will this only show on monitors?
2017-6-3
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
United States

It will have effect outdoors but not as pronounced. If you hold up to eye and look at a shiny automobile, windows, water reflections etc you will see how it will reduce reflective glare.
Though the effect is subtle when doing this it can be seen.
2017-6-3
Use props
Parkker
lvl.1
United States

Am wanting to try the PolarPro ND filters without built in polarizer when I can.
Polarized ones seem a bit tricky to use and not easy to predict results exactly since the effect can change in flight depending on angle to reflections and sun.
Simpler to use on a traditional camera taking image from static, fixed position.
I also found it very difficult to try holding lens up to camera and rotating to see what it's doing. I have been holding it up to my eye and rotate and then when I see it reduce reflected glare as
it's rotated I place on lens in same position.
2017-6-3
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Biggest effect of polarization can be seen in car windshields (as previously stated) and in the sun's reflection in water.  That's why I bought mine.  Have yet to test though (as soon as it gets below 100, I'll try it).
2017-6-20
Use props
Freewell
Second Officer

United States

Hey,

One way to adjust these PL , Hybrid or CPL filter is like below video however the polarization keeps changing from one position to another but the least a PL OR CPL filter can do is give you about 1.6 f-stops .
Due to the weight limit of Mavic Gimbal you cannot have a direct ring adjustment in your filter like in Phantom series but you can still do it by moving filter in front of your camera.

Thanks
Harry from Freewell
2017-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules