Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4K VS 1080P – DOES RESOLUTION MATTER?
4965 16 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ben Walford
lvl.1

United States

4K seems to be the standard resolution setting and no small wonder, 3840  pixels by 2160 lines can give spectacular results. The problem is that  4K is limited on how its broadcasted. Will 1080P then do the job? Many  smaller drone cameras suggest so.

4 K.png
2017-6-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

1080p is fine.  Not many people have the ability to display 4k video yet anyway.  And editing 4k requires a lot of computing horsepower.
2017-6-1
Use props
John_OR
lvl.1

United States

I would agree that 1080p is fine with one exception.  If you want to grab frames from the video to create pictures 4k is a lot better.  Typically after I grab a frame I'll crop it.  If you are starting from 1080p and you crop it you may be left with a rather small photo.
2017-6-1
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I used to shoot in 4K but only my smartphone could playback the video.  Plus I use imovie to edit which can only output in 1080, granted downsized 4k is supposedly better but I can't tell the difference.  
2017-6-1
Use props
GUSPMETAL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 365049 ft
Greece

Greetings from Greece! I have a Phantom 4 Pro and I tried both times to record at maximum camera settings (4096X2160 - 60 fps) but when I tried to upload directly to you tube I only got 1080P60 and not 4K. Any tip? Does you tube needs more time to process the file? Can I use any video editing software? Thank you in advance and keep flying!
2017-6-1
Use props
GUSPMETAL
Second Officer
Greece

These are the links for my videos https://youtu.be/4rhfarnyAYw
https://youtu.be/u42ijvFFXkA
2017-6-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The problem is that all the marketing hype tells you that you should be using 4K because it is the latest and best thing, but they don't tell you that most computers or displays cannot handle 4K at all. You really need a specialsed comp[uter for editing 4K, but also very few people have any sort of display that can do 4K either. On the other hand, 1080p is now a standard for HD digital television, and most people can view it.
2017-6-1
Use props
GUSPMETAL
Second Officer
Greece

Geebax thank you for your quick reply! So I don't make something wrong when I upload my videos in you tube. I've already downloaded davinci resolve 12,5 in order to fix the resolution of my final video but seems a little bit complicated. Perhaps after a few months you tube will process my videos and upgrade the resolution...Thank you once again for your tips!
2017-6-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

GUSPMETAL Posted at 2017-6-1 23:18
Geebax thank you for your quick reply! So I don't make something wrong when I upload my videos in you tube. I've already downloaded davinci resolve 12,5 in order to fix the resolution of my final video but seems a little bit complicated. Perhaps after a few months you tube will process my videos and upgrade the resolution...Thank you once again for your tips!

Aloha GUSP,

You are on the right track but there is still a lot more.  You guessed right that YouTube requires a lot of time to process your video after you upload it.  It is best to leave it overnight to "cook" so you are not interfering with Internet use.  (Mine shuts down everything but the upload.)  Then in the morning (or whenever) you will get an email from YouTube saying your video is finished and can be "published".  If you get the email before you touch the upload, the highest resolution has been uploaded and processed.  If you interrupt the upload processing, you will get the resolution processed when you interrupted it.

Your videos are rather lengthy (17 min., 12 min.) and DaVinci Resolve 12.5 will be very helpful for you to shorten them and do any color correction you need.  Normal video length is 3 to 5 minutes here on the Forum.  (8-10 minutes is a long video.)  DaVinci Resolve does have a 1000 page manual but using .pdf tools, like "Control F", you can find exactly what you need to help you edit the video.

When you are ready to show us your finished video, the video can be displayed directly in the Forum here.  There is a technique for that but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Good to see you are having fun exploring with your new aerial camera.  The P4 Pro is amazing!  I did notice you could use some tips on skill development (it can reduce editing needs).  Below are some screen captures of previous threads discussing video technique that may be helpful.

Aloha and Drone On!
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
2017-6-2
Use props
GUSPMETAL
Second Officer
Greece

Thanks for your time mate! You gave me good tips and I want to apply them as soon as possible! Keep flying and thanks once again! Take care...!
2017-6-2
Use props
zilla
lvl.1

United States

You will get more color samples recording in 4K and re-encoding to 1080P in post.
2017-6-27
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Shooting in 4k lets you zoom into the frame if you need a close up of something. This high of a resolution you can zoom in pretty well and still keep it 1080p.
2017-7-6
Use props
X-ACTO!
lvl.3
Flight distance : 837799 ft
United States

4k is professinal like 8k and 10k just for zoom if you are a normal filmer not pro use 1080p or lower then the slow mo mactches
2017-7-30
Use props
dcap
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GUSPMETAL Posted at 2017-6-1 15:12
Greetings from Greece! I have a Phantom 4 Pro and I tried both times to record at maximum camera settings (4096X2160 - 60 fps) but when I tried to upload directly to you tube I only got 1080P60 and not 4K. Any tip? Does you tube needs more time to process the file? Can I use any video editing software? Thank you in advance and keep flying!

YouTube will only give you the option to view what your hardware can handle. If you upload a 4k video and have a 4k monitor you will have the option to view in 4k. If your  monotor/display is 1080 then 1080 will be the max.
2017-8-15
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have 4K display equipment so I usually record in 1080.  Are the larger files & increases processing time worth it?  You decide:

2017-8-15
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

I build computers for all photography and video editing typically consisting of 8 to 12 cores, Intel with 32 gigs of ram and 4k cards and it does cost a lot more than a standard computer however anything build for gaming is generally bulletproof as long as it doesn't come with bloatware

This is why I went with DJI, top quality and very advanced technology for today's time...
2018-2-19
Use props
Max App
lvl.4
Flight distance : 781624 ft

Owning a 5k iMac and several 4k TV screens, I am happy to say 4k does mater in my opinion. It definitely makes a difference and if you have a 4k screen you can see the difference, it’s awesome. On a drone you’ll never get dslr quality lenses unless you spend crazy money, so next best way to up the quality is resolution and bit rate.
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules