Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Slave controller tablet model
993 6 2017-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kopteristi
lvl.4
Finland

My main controller is equipped with Ipad Mini 4 and it works fine. Now I have a mission coming where slave controller for camera controller is required. Does slave controller need "powerful" tablet or is it enough if slave controller tablet is some older Android or Ipad?
I have several years old Ipad 2 (original full size model) and would like to avoid new tablet investment.
2017-6-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The tablet does need enough processing power to run the live feed with the shortest amount of latency. For iOS, any tablet with an A7 processor or higher would do the job, so the iPad 2 may not give you the best results. You might be able to download the app and give it a try, but you may need to invest in another tablet as a worse case scenario.
2017-6-2
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.4
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-2 19:34
The tablet does need enough processing power to run the live feed with the shortest amount of latency. For iOS, any tablet with an A7 processor or higher would do the job, so the iPad 2 may not give you the best results. You might be able to download the app and give it a try, but you may need to invest in another tablet as a worse case scenario.

Thanks Jamie,
So basically both tablets needs equal or good enough "power" because of video feed.  I tried to download DJI Go 4 for old Ipad and it didn't install. Too old iOS I assume and it can't be updated anymore. I 'll buy some cheaper Android then for camera guy and use Ipad Mini 4 for pilot.
2017-6-3
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have two Samsung (Android) devices on the DJI list and they both show 'Disconnected' now.  Been a fight and nothing helps.  Samsung is always applying some update and then something happens with GO.  When they do connect, they'll often crash to a black screen and then I need to restart them.

What I plan to do is to move my iPad Air 2 over to the second controller for the camera guy, and get myself a new iPad Pro 9.7" as it appears to crash the least out of all tablets so far.  GO 4 shows it to be almost 1 GB in size (~850KB) once installed on the Air 2 so it must be a glutton for the processor and a lot out there now won't keep up it seems, especially the Androids as they seem to run a lot of background apps that get in the way.  I've gotten pop-ups from some sundry free app running in the background asking if I want a free Starbucks coffee while flying in GO. Mine records other data like where I am (Maps) and how far I've walked (Samsung 'Health' and Google 'Fit' both.) actively running behind the scenes.  I haven't noticed that interference with the iPad yet.

I also need the larger screen for Autopilot as it has a lot of flight data on the screen and easier to use to plan a route.  I'll note that Autopilot 4 is crashing with the addition of the GO 4 screen within it too!  (It's shown as a beta option.) so I went back to the older Autopilot screen.  I think as GO grows with each version, Apple may be the safest investment over the Android OS.  I'm tired of dealing with in-air app crashes with the Android and the need to keep buying cheap ones which end up costing more in the long run.

2017-6-4
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.4
Germany

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-6-4 06:33
I have two Samsung (Android) devices on the DJI list and they both show 'Disconnected' now.  Been a fight and nothing helps.  Samsung is always applying some update and then something happens with GO.  When they do connect, they'll often crash to a black screen and then I need to restart them.

What I plan to do is to move my iPad Air 2 over to the second controller for the camera guy, and get myself a new iPad Pro 9.7" as it appears to crash the least out of all tablets so far.  GO 4 shows it to be almost 1 GB in size (~850KB) once installed on the Air 2 so it must be a glutton for the processor and a lot out there now won't keep up it seems, especially the Androids as they seem to run a lot of background apps that get in the way.  I've gotten pop-ups from some sundry free app running in the background asking if I want a free Starbucks coffee while flying in GO. Mine records other data like where I am (Maps) and how far I've walked (Samsung 'Health' and Google 'Fit' both.) actively running behind the scenes.  I haven't noticed that interference with the iPad yet.

This was good information, thanks!
I went to Ipad Mini 4 from Mini 2 for pilot just because of autopilot app crashing mid flight. I need to consider options and perhaps borrow one to try.
2017-6-4
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

On my last dual shoot, my camera man used his full sized iPad Pro. I don't have an extended holder so he sat in the car with it on the dash. Definitely wouldn't want to buy something this expensive just for this but maybe you can borrow one or get your camera person to bring their own.
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-6-3 20:50
Thanks Jamie,
So basically both tablets needs equal or good enough "power" because of video feed.  I tried to download DJI Go 4 for old Ipad and it didn't install. Too old iOS I assume and it can't be updated anymore. I 'll buy some cheaper Android then for camera guy and use Ipad Mini 4 for pilot.

I understand it's an inconvenience, but I'm sure you'll find a set up that will work best for you.
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules