Defective Goggles out of the box very unhappy with QC.
5445 26 2017-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hawkins33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 234098 ft
United States

I got some defective DJI goggles out of the box and it is so disappointing to me. Has anyone else experienced dead pixels on their goggles screen? I love the product over all, but they definitely seem to have some quality control issues. I am having a  problem with both screens on light and dark backgrounds. There is a black spot on the left screen that only shows up on light backgrounds, and a dead pixel that you can see on the right side on dark backgrounds. The black spot is most bothersome to me I want to exchange them, but I am worried how long it will take to get them back at this point; I really just want to get ones that are not defective out of the box. I made a case with DJI but the people I have talked to so far have not really been clear about the return exchange process. I shouldn't have to wait for them to be repaired or anything since it is not something I did. I just want a new pair sent to me as soon as possible which is what I believe they said would happen, but they were not all that clear. DJI could make their support process so much better and easier. I might send them back today, but I just hope I don't have to wait a long time to get them replaced. Anyone else have any experience with the getting the goggles replaced because of dead pixels? I believe for the amount the goggles cost I should not have to deal with the poor QC and a product that is not working as advertised out of the box. I will be without my goggles for who knows how long if I send them back and the stories for support on here scare me any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
2017-6-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sincerely sorry for the trouble you have been caused, Hawkins,  could you please leave me your case number so I can look into it ? And we will try our best to get it sorted out shortly. We're aware of the delay and working very hard to expedite the process recently.
2017-6-2
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Tip when something like this happens (defective out of the box): redraw your purchase (not sure if it's the right term but you get the idea), send them back the product, be refunded and buy a new one.

Much more faster and you don't even need to give a reason for your redraw.

I did it when I bought an LG G4 phone on Amazon that wouldn't turn on or even charge. Got a new one 4 days later
2017-6-2
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Samoth Posted at 2017-6-2 23:36
Tip when something like this happens (defective out of the box): redraw your purchase (not sure if it's the right term but you get the idea), send them back the product, be refunded and buy a new one.

Much more faster and you don't even need to give a reason for your redraw.

Yeah but that was Amazon and with phone in stock - will be a different thing here. In most places the goggles are out of stock so waiting for them could take months on end.
2017-6-3
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another unhappy customer. My goggles aren't perfect either. Good luck gettin a returns and refund. You go round the houses trying to get an answer from DJI and it's no quick process!
2017-6-3
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.2
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-6-3 03:30
Another unhappy customer. My goggles aren't perfect either. Good luck gettin a returns and refund. You go round the houses trying to get an answer from DJI and it's no quick process!

And that is the exact reason I do not buy directly from DJI. I love their products, but would rather deal with a third party reseller. It's worth the wait.
2017-6-3
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the advice everyone I ended up sending them back hopefully to be exchanged I am still not 100% sure of that of course, but I am just hoping for the best. The goggles are still on the way to California at the moment, and I am hoping to know more when they get there.

Hi, DJI Thor thanks for responding to me any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated my case number with DJI support is: CAS-680373-H3S8J2. Thanks again.  
2017-6-7
Use props
cycross
lvl.1

Singapore

I have the same issue: Dead pixel. At first I thought it was plain dust but after looking at it for quite some time, discovered it can't be cleaned. Super disappointed as I thought QC would have caught this as it is not at the edge either.
Now wondering what to do and how to get in touch with DJI support. Bought direct from the store.
2017-6-8
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

I would not send them back if you can help it as they have been no help at all. They are trying to tell me that there is no issues with my goggles at all which is just a downright lie and they declined to exchange them. I have had multiple people see the black spot on the goggles screen. I am going to contact a supervisor to see if I can get something done if not I will probably just return them and get my money back. And because of poor quality control and customer support DJI will have lost a faithful customer that would have recommended their products to everyone. I will sure never buy directly from their store again and it's too bad because I like a lot of their products.
2017-6-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hawkins33 Posted at 2017-6-13 00:31
I would not send them back if you can help it as they have been no help at all. They are trying to tell me that there is no issues with my goggles at all which is just a downright lie and they declined to exchange them. I have had multiple people see the black spot on the goggles screen. I am going to contact a supervisor to see if I can get something done if not I will probably just return them and get my money back. And because of poor quality control and customer support DJI will have lost a faithful customer that would have recommended their products to everyone. I will sure never buy directly from their store again and it's too bad because I like a lot of their products.

Kevin, we've confirmed with our engineers, it is normal to see the dead pixel in the black background and it won't affect its performance. I just checked your case, our technicians tested this goggles for several times and found no issues. If you have any further questions, please click on "Reply" button here so I can get a remind, thanks.
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Dead pixels ARE NOT normal, they are defective, which is way they are dead.  Say what is, or don't say anything at all!

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

I am not trying to defend DJI but correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a dead pixel be permanently black even in light conditions? Either way sounds like the unit does have a defect but they are allowing it as a tolerable one which I don't agree with.
2017-6-13
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-13 04:03
Kevin, we've confirmed with our engineers, it is normal to see the dead pixel in the black background and it won't affect its performance. I just checked your case, our technicians tested this goggles for several times and found no issues. If you have any further questions, please click on "Reply" button here so I can get a remind, thanks.

Are you sure you're using the right terminology there?  Are you saying it's a software issue causing it to not be on - or are you legitimately saying that a non functioning pixel in the display is normal?
2017-6-13
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nifty Posted at 2017-6-13 05:51
I am not trying to defend DJI but correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't a dead pixel be permanently black even in light conditions? Either way sounds like the unit does have a defect but they are allowing it as a tolerable one which I don't agree with.

Which is likely what they are attempting to explain.  LCD manufacturers often refer to 2 or 3 dead pixels in a large display as a "normal" aspect of the manufacturing process.

Of course - that doesn't mean the consumer has to actually deal with it or keep the product.
2017-6-13
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

"Dead pixels" are pixels which do not do what they are suppose to do.  They can produce output, just not as they are designed and intended to.  As to allowing dead pixels to get through the manufacturing process, different manufactures have different standards.  Some even force this standard on their customers by not giving refunds, or only refunds with a "handling charge" taken out. Not too much of that it seems any more, but I suppose it all depends on where you purchase and what company is involved in the process.

-Rodger
2017-6-13
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-13 04:03

Hi DJI Thor,

I am very unhappy that your engineers are trying to tell me that my goggles are not defective at all when I myself and multiple other people have seen a black spot on the screen on a light background and it very much affects performance because every time I flew I could see a black spot on the sky how is that not defective? I have pictures of it and it is definitely not normal. I was never totally sure if that spot was dead pixels or debris on the screen, but it is there when it is not supposed to be. I am not sure how they are not seeing what I saw unless something happened during shipping to knock the debris out of there if that is what it was, but do you really think I would have sent my brand new goggles from Maine to California for no reason really that is just bad business practices IMO.
2017-6-13
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 04:14
Dead pixels ARE NOT normal, they are defective, which is way they are dead.  Say what is, or don't say anything at all!

-Rodger

Exactly Rodger this is exactly how I feel. But apparently big black spots on DJI goggles screens according to DJI is completely normal.
2017-6-13
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
United States

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2017-6-13 07:55
"Dead pixels" are pixels which do not do what they are suppose to do.  They can produce output, just not as they are designed and intended to.  As to allowing dead pixels to get through the manufacturing process, different manufactures have different standards.  Some even force this standard on their customers by not giving refunds, or only refunds with a "handling charge" taken out. Not too much of that it seems any more, but I suppose it all depends on where you purchase and what company is involved in the process.

-Rodger

For the sake of clarity I am going to throw this out there. A dead pixel is a pixel that is defective and will not light up at all. You can have other malfunction pixels but it is important to get the terminology correct. Reason being is because like Method007 mentioned is that manufactures/vendors have tolerances in which they would say its "normal" whereas if you have a stuck pixel then their responses/troubleshooting/RMA process would be different.
2017-6-13
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
United States

Seems like the real issue here is the black spots in the white background. Thor specifically mentioned the "dead" pixel in dark background but never mentioned anything about the other more glaring issue that Hawkins33 specifically mentioned was the worse of the two problems. Hawkins it would be best if you can provide the pictures to DJI so they can see for themselves as often the support people are working multiple cases at any given time. Giving them pictures of the problem would not only guide them in the right direction as far as troubleshooting goes it also ensures that they are addressing the issue you have and dont spin their wheels on other non-issues the unit may have had.
2017-6-13
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
United States

Hawkins33 Posted at 2017-6-13 08:48
Exactly Rodger this is exactly how I feel. But apparently big black spots on DJI goggles screens according to DJI is completely normal.

Its a crappy situation but often their hands are tied unless the LCD has a certain number of the dead pixels (and some manufactures even require them to be in close proximity of each other for it to matter). I know oculus had the same problem among many others but at the end of the day its a manufacture issue and DJI can only repair/replace something that exceeds the threshold the manufacture sets
2017-6-13
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Nifty Posted at 2017-6-13 09:02
Seems like the real issue here is the black spots in the white background. Thor specifically mentioned the "dead" pixel in dark background but never mentioned anything about the other more glaring issue that Hawkins33 specifically mentioned was the worse of the two problems. Hawkins it would be best if you can provide the pictures to DJI so they can see for themselves as often the support people are working multiple cases at any given time. Giving them pictures of the problem would not only guide them in the right direction as far as troubleshooting goes it also ensures that they are addressing the issue you have and dont spin their wheels on other non-issues the unit may have had.

Hi Nifty,

Thank you for the input I am going to send the pictures in to DJI and hope they do the right thing, but as we have seen they are denying there is even a problem. You are very correct when you say that the problem was the black spot on a light background that was very pronounced in the sky almost directly in my peripheral vision. I took the pictures on the main goggles screen with my iPhone so it is kind of hard to see with all the other black around it, but when you put the goggles on it is very obvious; and unless it was debris that got knocked out during shipment back to them which I find very doubtful then they are not being forthright with me and I am definitely not a happy customer. Thank you all for your input and suggestions hopefully DJI will do the right thing like most good companies would and make sure their customers are satisfied with their products.
2017-6-13
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Nifty Posted at 2017-6-13 09:02

Hi Nifty,

Thank you for the input I am going to send the pictures in to DJI and hope they do the right thing, but as we have seen they are denying there is even a problem. You are very correct when you say that the problem was the black spot on a light background that was very pronounced in the sky almost directly in my peripheral vision. I took the pictures on the main goggles screen with my iPhone so it is kind of hard to see with all the other black around it, but when you put the goggles on it is very obvious; and unless it was debris that got knocked out during shipment back to them which I find very doubtful then they are not being forthright with me and I am definitely not a happy customer. Thank you all for your input and suggestions hopefully DJI will do the right thing like most good companies would and make sure their customers are satisfied with their products.
2017-6-13
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Nifty Posted at 2017-6-13 09:06
Its a crappy situation but often their hands are tied unless the LCD has a certain number of the dead pixels (and some manufactures even require them to be in close proximity of each other for it to matter). I know oculus had the same problem among many others but at the end of the day its a manufacture issue and DJI can only repair/replace something that exceeds the threshold the manufacture sets

Nifty,

I understand what you are saying here about some companies allowing for some dead pixels to be normal, but I have not seen this anywhere in DJI's official policies and wouldn't they have to have something like that in writing before the fact because if not then it is not something that should be considered normal at all. If I would have known they would have treated a faithful customer like this I would have not and never will buy anything from them again. I make it a point not to deal with companies that allow for defective products to be sold especially if they are going deny there is a problem at all.  
2017-6-13
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
United States

Hawkins33 Posted at 2017-6-13 09:26
Nifty,

I understand what you are saying here about some companies allowing for some dead pixels to be normal, but I have not seen this anywhere in DJI's official policies and wouldn't they have to have something like that in writing before the fact because if not then it is not something that should be considered normal at all. If I would have known they would have treated a faithful customer like this I would have not and never will buy anything from them again. I make it a point not to deal with companies that allow for defective products to be sold especially if they are going deny there is a problem at all.

I hear ya. I was burned pretty hard by the oculus rift and it left me pretty jaded on the whole headset product in general. Hopefully DJI will do right by you and get you a unit with no issues. Best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
2017-6-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hawkins33 Posted at 2017-6-13 08:29
Hi DJI Thor,

I am very unhappy that your engineers are trying to tell me that my goggles are not defective at all when I myself and multiple other people have seen a black spot on the screen on a light background and it very much affects performance because every time I flew I could see a black spot on the sky how is that not defective? I have pictures of it and it is definitely not normal. I was never totally sure if that spot was dead pixels or debris on the screen, but it is there when it is not supposed to be. I am not sure how they are not seeing what I saw unless something happened during shipping to knock the debris out of there if that is what it was, but do you really think I would have sent my brand new goggles from Maine to California for no reason really that is just bad business practices IMO.

Kevin , we understand how you feel and apologize for the unpleasant experience. I've informed the local repair center to take care of this case, we'll look into it again and keep you updated. Appreciate your patience.
2017-6-14
Use props
Hawkins33
lvl.1
United States

Thank you everyone for your assistance and input in this matter. I sent DJI support the photos I took of the issue and they were able to recreate the problem I was having; which it appears was a particle that was trapped inside the goggles eye piece and must have got knocked out during shipping. I guess that why they didn't see the problem at first, but I really have to give it to DJI support they really came through for me in the end and retained a faithful customer. I am going to be receiving my new goggles soon, and look forward to the great innovations that DJI continues bring to us. Thanks again everyone. Happy and safe flying!
2017-6-14
Use props
cootertwo
lvl.4
United States

Well, my goggles went from vertical lines to a dead right side, and an on and off left side. Re-did the firmware to latest, same thing. I guess it's back to Amazon. I'll bet they have to rent another warehouse, just to store all the returns! Ha! DJI where are you? I also tried reset, re-bind, nothing works. Left side comes on, but right side stays gray. Have only flown about 4 packs. Not wet, not in the sunlight, etc. etc. just a cwappy product in my opinion.
2021-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules