Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost control on first flight
600 3 2017-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trevallyn
New
Flight distance : 2149 ft
Australia

Mavic with Samsung S7 edge in beginner mode - my very first flight.
Location: Flat level grassy field on a clear day with no wind. Nearest obstacle at least 100 metres away. I kept the gimble cover on (not the gimble lock).
I tried a few manoevres to get the feel, then return to home. It went to 30 metres altitude as expected but I got a signal about an obstruction. The mavic hovered stationary, but I couldn't get any reaction from the controller. Eventually it started to report low battery, then critically low battery. It was asking for "return to home" but the mavic wasn't responding to any stick or button.
Just as I was getting ready to stand under it and catch it as the battery failed(!) I was able to turn about 20 degrees, after which it responded to the controller and I was able to manually land it.
The only factor I can think of is that the mavic was facing directly into the setting sun when it froze. Definitely no physical obstructions.

I replaced the battery and made a few more test flights without mishap, but it was pretty scary for a first flight.

Can anybody suggest what the problem may have been?
2017-6-4
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

It does appear to be the sun interfering with forward OA sensors.

There is a method to calibrate the sensors but i am not sure that will cure your ills, as the problem exists on all Mavics i think.
2017-6-4
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Good luck with your drone. Just an FYI try and avoid using the RTH as a convenience. That isn't what it's meant to be used for. I've seen a lot of issues arise when people have done so with the aircraft being close by. Use the map and fly the bird back yourself. RTH is there when you loose signal etc. extreme scenarios.  
2017-6-4
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Also, the sun with stop the Mavic dead in its tracks. Example.  You fly out of sight, hit return to home and your Mavic never comes home and crashes. What happened?  I'll tell you as I've seen it before. You hit RTH And the Mavic flys back to you into the sun. The sun can stop the Mavic because it can trick the obstacle sensors into think the bird will hit something. It will sit there and hover until the battery dies and your Mavic crashes. Be very careful when using RTH.
2017-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules