Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No range and no support from DJI!
3106 38 2017-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Resqme49
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8773 ft
United States

I have a phantom 3 standard, purchased January 2017. Everything has been great except the range has been steadily diminishing. Now I cannot hardly fly 100 feet over my head without losing signal from the remote and it auto landing. I have done the online chat, had the guy just send me multiple videos to watch and calibrate my controller and IMU. Then he disconnected and closed the chat. I started over waiting another long time to have the same thing happen. Then I started emailing. I have recalibrated IMU 4 times, Calibrated controller twice, Sent screen shots of about page in app, warnings and such. I am getting no support and I haven't been able to fly my drone in a while. I am beyond frustrated. $500 down the drain so far. No crashes, no water and all flying has been done from an open area on my property. I haven't flown it that much really. Just frustrated!! Any help? Ideas?
2017-6-5
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

What mobile device do you use for your P3S and what version of the Go App is running on your mobile? Antenna cable on RC and AC ok?
2017-6-5
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Upload one of your flight logs here.
2017-6-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

In addition to post #2, did you notice this after an app update or a firmware update? Are you receiving specific RC signal errors, image transmission errors or both? If it's the latter, have you tried resetting the WiFi module and forgetting the WiFi signal on the mobile device, then reconnect?
2017-6-5
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Is it directly overhead? This is where signal is weakest if you don't adjust the antenna orientation.
2017-6-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dancopter Posted at 2017-6-5 21:34
Is it directly overhead? This is where signal is weakest if you don't adjust the antenna orientation.

Even if you do adjust the antennas on the RC unit, the ones in the aircraft are still in the worst possible position, and you cannot adjust for this. It is a bad idea to fly directly over your head, move away from overhead.
2017-6-5
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Resqme49 Posted at 2017-6-7 12:47
And I dont know how to post logs? How do I do that?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2017-6-7
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

Hey, sorry for the delay. I just finished the online repair stuff. It doesnt matter where I fly, it has no range at all. How do I reset the wifi module? I have not done that. The antennae are in the original great condition. I am using a samsung 8 inch tablet. Been using that for a while without any issues and its the latest version of the app. App downloaded 1/27/17. Phantom purchased 1/25/17. Once I take off, everything is normal except at around 80 feet up it will say weak signal. That continues until 100-300 feet and then it says signal lost, return to home or just " landing".  
2017-6-7
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

And I dont know how to post logs? How do I do that?
2017-6-7
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

I wouldnt say directly overhead but straight up. It has no range so if I try to fly it anywhere, it auto lands due to lost/weak signal. I have tried it directly out to where the antennae is pointed at it. Same results.
2017-6-7
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Resqme49 Posted at 2017-6-7 12:54
I wouldnt say directly overhead but straight up. It has no range so if I try to fly it anywhere, it auto lands due to lost/weak signal. I have tried it directly out to where the antennae is pointed at it. Same results.

Do you mean you have them pointing straight out from the controller? If so, that's the wrong orientation.
2017-6-7
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

No. It only moves from straight up to straight out. I have tried every directions. I dont think there is a wrong direction as it all shoots signal up and out. Just took it out to test and lost range at 150 feet up and returned to home.
2017-6-7
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Resqme49 Posted at 2017-6-7 13:12
No. It only moves from straight up to straight out. I have tried every directions. I dont think there is a wrong direction as it all shoots signal up and out. Just took it out to test and lost range at 150 feet up and returned to home.

There is absolutely a wrong direction, read the manual.
2017-6-7
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

"all flying has been done from an open area on my property"

That is the point where I would start. Move to different areas, try other spots.
In order to find out if you have a technical problem you have to exclude the possibility of a local/environmental issue.

2017-6-7
Use props
fans55d628fb
lvl.1
India

Exactly same here.which firmware are you running 1.8.10?
2017-6-8
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I have been experiencing the same issue.. getting out about 700 feet then getting weak or lost signal.. Just started recently  
2017-6-9
Use props
DJ Nee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84610 ft
Australia

I bought mine in January too, and as soon as I took it out the box I upgraded the firmware before flying...and I had exactly the same thing, I couldn't get more than 50-100m before losing signal. I took it back and the store exchanged it, but this time I DIDN'T update the firmware, and can now fly way past 100m. Whether it was a faulty drone or the firmware update is hard to tell, but unless there's a good reason to I will stick with the original firmware (1.7.9 I think?)
2017-6-9
Use props
fans215e4176
lvl.1

Canada

This is something DJI needs to look into.
I bought a P3s in 2016. I was getting around 500m before losing signal. Not to bad. Bought a P3s that someone had crashed and broken gimbal/camera. I bought the drone for parts incase I crashed. When I got the new/cashed drone home I took it for a test flight and was able to get over 1km away. Not sure of the updates at the time but I went in and updated the crashed drone and checked original drone to see if it needed updates. Flew both and same thing happens, original maxed out around 500m, crashed/new drone maxed out at 1.5km. Land 1 and take off with the other in the exact same flight pattern, standing in the exact same spot. This was right in a neighborhood so you would think there would be some interference. Also the crashed/new drone controller has a paperclip that is holding the antenna on as it was broken off by pervious owner.
So can someone please explain how a BNIB drone can max out at 500m and a fall out of the sky crashed one can get 3x times the distance. Everything was set back to factory setting so there is no way it is operating on different settings.
I am not even going to deal with dji on this. Anything I have read about there service is horrible. It seems like maybe some of there parts might be crappy and they must know and are not willing to admit it and fix them.

Good luck with your problem man. If your lucky you might get some help.
2017-6-9
Use props
fans215e4176
lvl.1

Canada

Video I made with the crashed drone and camera from original drone. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCzxz5ARR-I
2017-6-9
Use props
KingChaos
New

Norway

fans215e4176 Posted at 2017-6-9 23:14
I bought a P3s in 2016. I was getting around 500m before losing signal. Not to bad. Bought a P3s that someone had crashed and broken gimbal/camera. I bought the drone for parts incase I crashed. When I got the new/cashed drone home I took it for a test flight and was able to get over 1km away. Not sure of the updates at the time but I went in and updated the crashed drone and checked original drone to see if it needed updates. Flew both and same thing happens, original maxed out around 500m, crashed/new drone maxed out at 1.5km. Land 1 and take off with the other in the exact same flight pattern, standing in the exact same spot. This was right in a neighborhood so you would think there would be some interference. Also the crashed/new drone controller has a paperclip that is holding the antenna on as it was broken off by pervious owner.
So can someone please explain how a BNIB drone can max out at 500m and a fall out of the sky crashed one can get 3x times the distance. Everything was set back to factory setting so there is no way it is operating on different settings.

Have you tried to swap the RC's to see if it is the RC or the drone that faulty? I have the same problem but don't have any spare RC or drone. ;)
2017-6-13
Use props
KingChaos
New

Norway

Answer from DJI:

With that, We verified it with our R&D department, we have already raised this concern and they are currently addressing the issue to be resolve the soonest time possible for this issue. They are going to release a new app update to fix this.

For now, we advise not to uninstall your DJI Go App, then power cycle your mobile phone and put your mobile device to airplane mode, then launch your app, then try to re-link again. Hope for your understanding regarding this matter.
2017-6-14
Use props
fans215e4176
lvl.1

Canada

The crashed drone didn't come with a RC so it must be the drone. Both drones were operating with the same RC. Easy to re sync RC.
2017-6-15
Use props
fans94c4be1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 596562 ft
United States

I have noticed a decrease in range with my PS3 also. I ordered a new remote to try and fix the problem. It will be interesting to see if new firmware fixes the problem.
2017-6-16
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

I still have to print the return label. I havent had a chance to. I have tried moving the antennae in every angle/fashion I can. Including straight up. Its not the RC antennae. It used to work great, then just started to get worse range until I hit the point where it is now. Dunno. Frustrating.  
2017-6-16
Use props
fans215e4176
lvl.1

Canada

Swaped the RC because crashed drone didn't come with RC.  Must be drone issue.
2017-6-22
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

Update. I received A drone back. Not my drone, but a refurbished drone that was covered in dust and some kind of grease. I contacted them to find out why and they said it was within their policy. I asked how its fair that I paid $500 for a new drone four months ago, and now I get a refurbished that was obviously broken at some point, fixed and then sat on a shelf long enough to gather a fair amount of greasy dust. I had the support guy fill out the escalations request. He told me that they have a limited stock of new drones. I explained how there are many on shelves all across the US and I will only accept a brand new in box drone, an upgrade if they do not have a new phantom 3 standard, or a full refund for everything. Im starting to feel duped. Like I wasted $500. We will see what the escalations say.
2017-7-6
Use props
fans37888406
New
Flight distance : 42113 ft
United States

Did the new RC address the issue?
2017-7-6
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

Its a whole new ( refurbished ) drone. Im not touching the thing. Pretty disappointing spending $500 on a new drone just to get someones broken/fixed drone that is a few years old. Not happy at all. We'll see what they say.
2017-7-6
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

Still nothing from the escalations department.
2017-7-10
Use props
fans5335be23
lvl.1
Uruguay

Resqme49 Posted at 2017-6-7 13:12

Hello, I have a phanton 4 and since I update the firmware of the dron and the remote control I lose the signal during the flight to 500-600 meters. How can I leave it with the factory firmware. thank you very much.
2017-7-10
Use props
fans2853c956
New
Flight distance : 159272 ft
United States

I purchased a refurned Phantom 3 Standard earlier this year.  I am now in theh midst of my second drone related malfunction.  This time it was a flyway that happened on 6/17.  Never found the drone.  Took over 2 weeks to fianlly get an answer from DJI that it was a drone malfunction.  They have agreed to replace my unit with a brand new Standard and I ordeerd that on 6/30.  But now they cant ship unitl at least 7/21.  Amazing that it is taking them so long to be able to ship what has to be one of their most ordred products.  Love flying the drone and have not experienced the range issues you have had but have been on the side of some very poor customer service and product delivery for sure.  Let's both hope for better luck soon!
2017-7-11
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

So, I talked to escalations today. Pretty much out of luck. They said I have no option other than to keep the older, refurbished drone. I told him if he could tell me why it broke, what they replaced to fix it and how many hours it has on it, I would accept it. He could not. Essentially he got somewhat short on his answers with me and just said too bad, that is their policy. The fact that I sent in a brand new drone is irrelevant to getting anything that was on the shelf back. I was told it was flight tested. I asked how, if the remote was covered in dust and some oily smudges and the battery was 100% dead? He said they flight test and quality control them after repair, not before shipment. So I sent mine in, and they just grabbed one from the shelf and put it in a box. Basically feel like I have been taken for $500.
2017-7-11
Use props
Zaphiron
lvl.2
Netherlands

Resqme49 Posted at 2017-7-11 10:12
So, I talked to escalations today. Pretty much out of luck. They said I have no option other than to keep the older, refurbished drone. I told him if he could tell me why it broke, what they replaced to fix it and how many hours it has on it, I would accept it. He could not. Essentially he got somewhat short on his answers with me and just said too bad, that is their policy. The fact that I sent in a brand new drone is irrelevant to getting anything that was on the shelf back. I was told it was flight tested. I asked how, if the remote was covered in dust and some oily smudges and the battery was 100% dead? He said they flight test and quality control them after repair, not before shipment. So I sent mine in, and they just grabbed one from the shelf and put it in a box. Basically feel like I have been taken for $500.

While I know how you must feel at this point, I would feel quite upset to. But I'm curious about the state your drone was returned to you? Did you try asking for pictures from what I can remember shots are being made before its shipped. While I can confirm that DJI is indeed allowed to use refurbished parts or products these should be in a good state if not new. From what I read this was not the case. Maybe u can try to raise this question I hope it helps.
2017-7-12
Use props
Resqme49
lvl.1
United States

For sure. It was in beautiful condition. No dings, scratches, dirt or dust. It was literally in brand new condition when I sent it in. In fact, I have only landed on concrete 4 times before I learned I can catch it in the air.
2017-7-13
Use props
fansd11b953b
lvl.1

France

fans215e4176 Posted at 2017-6-9 23:14

Dji phantom 3 standard short range not fix since à lot of months.
60m approximatly and signal lost, return home.
My son have à toy which have most range.
I d tried all possibility many downgrade firmware and upgrade,  change antenna for argtek, change dj go version,  magic power mod . Try a ôther remote controller , many différent Phone many location . And nothing same issue and...
Just problem With 5.8ghz. Image transmission is ok
Never crash !!
I d Take a lot of contact With the support but no help !!!
So i m very disapointed by dji and i think That i ll Sell my phantom 3 standard For a yuneek or a similary drone but Nevers dji.
Bad product
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansd11b953b Posted at 2017-8-4 04:27
Dji phantom 3 standard short range not fix since à lot of months.
60m approximatly and signal lost, return home.
My son have à toy which have most range.

We are sorry for the unpleasant experience with product, we suggest to send in the drone for flight test at your most convenience, local repair center will try their best to get it addressed.
2017-8-7
Use props
djiuser_X5pyExckbj9h
lvl.1

Brazil

Its clear now why they didn't have a solution. One of the upgrades causes a burn on a track in main board, so there isn't a software solution.
I saw a video in YT where a user teaches how to recover the track using soldering. Now my Phantom 3 is able to fly far again.
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_X5pyExckbj9h Posted at 1-17 06:19
Its clear now why they didn't have a solution. One of the upgrades causes a burn on a track in main board, so there isn't a software solution.
I saw a video in YT where a user teaches how to recover the track using soldering. Now my Phantom 3 is able to fly far again.

Hi there, it is not recommended to repair/modify the drone by yourself since more issues could happen, if there is any issue with the drone, please send back to DJI official repair center for further assistance, thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-17
Use props
djiuser_owzuqE9NR964
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_X5pyExckbj9h Posted at 2019-1-17 06:19
Its clear now why they didn't have a solution. One of the upgrades causes a burn on a track in main board, so there isn't a software solution.

Hello,
       I know this is an old post but is the solder fix your referring to the chip they jump out on the radio module? This worked for you? Improved your range? I bought a used standard that has never been crashed that I can see, it’s in great shape and batteries still have 90-100% life so I know it hasn’t been flown much. I can only get about 100m if I’m lucky before signal loss.. was this your issue?
2020-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules