DJI GO 4.1 - Android - Crashing Improved?
3609 34 2017-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

Hi All
Just wondering everyone's experience on 4.1 - has anything improved in terms of the crashing?

I was one of the people who would get 1-2 crashes every flight on previous versions, and I have been getting pretty lucky as well as fed up with the app.  I also at one point found it running in the background, taking up memory and chewing up the battery.  Force stop didn't seem to prevent this from happening.  I uninstalled the app last week, and I checked the google app store and see 4.1 released on June 1st.  Running this on a Droid Turbo 2.

I am willing to see what happens but pretty quickly I am just going to buy an old iPhone and use that instead, the quality of the Android app has been terrible since DJI GO 4 was introduced.
2017-6-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Upgraded and flew once yesterday without any issues.  Today rain.  One thing I found on my Samsung S7 Android 7.0, DJI GO4 app 4.1, and firmware 1.03.07 was that my disconnects went away when I went into my phone's settings and turned display resolution down to 1920 x 1080 and maybe more importantly set the display mode to "Basic" instead of one of the fancier display modes.  Did this originally about 3 weeks ago and rarely disconnect now.
2017-6-5
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I gave up on 4.0.7, but I don't get any crashes on 4.0.6 as long as location is enabled and you allow access to all the permissions the app requests.  You can still be in airplane mode and you can still firewall the app, but it won't crash.  I have not tried 4.1 yet.
2017-6-5
Use props
Matias73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19239 ft
France

I nearly have up an my Mavic can be found on eBay soon.
Yesterday I tried again with the latest version of DJI Go 4 installed on a Samsung Galaxy 6 and the app crashes every minute.
The Mavic is a really nice product but I will not switch to Apple products just because DJI is trying to force myself into this direction.
2017-6-5
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

Matias73 Posted at 2017-6-5 22:28
I nearly have up an my Mavic can be found on eBay soon.
Yesterday I tried again with the latest version of DJI Go 4 installed on a Samsung Galaxy 6 and the app crashes every minute.
The Mavic is a really nice product but I will not switch to Apple products just because DJI is trying to force myself into this direction.

I have yet to try the 4.1 in fear that it will react like you experienced!

I too don't want to switch to Apple products, I was thinking of just getting a phone (no service plan) to run the App off of, like some other people have suggested.   It doesn't seem like DJI can get it together  on the GO 4 app on the Android platform.  From the surveys on the forum, it seems like half of people have crashes frequently, no matter what they try.  
2017-6-6
Use props
spoonlamp_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 301506 ft
Romania

It seems to me like Android and DJI are out of sync:

DJI Go 4 comes out - can't run with Android porperly.
After maybe a month or two Go 4 updates and runs ok.
2 months later Android updates and the Go 4 stops working!
Rinse....repeat  
2017-6-6
Use props
Matias73
lvl.2
Germany

At least the battery drain seem to be fixed for the moment.
But to be honest I would accept the Go 4 app is eating up the power as long as the app would be stable enough to allow enjoying the flight with the Mavic.
2017-6-7
Use props
Oglo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

I don't have any of these problems on a HTC. Sorry to hear about all of yours. Maybe you are already doing it, but I do the following -

# Check that your USB connectors are absolutely in good condition.
# Look for interference sources near you i.e. cell towers & high voltage power lines.
# In Android control panel(settings), go to battery settings and turn on battery optimisation of all apps, this is designed to extend battery by killing background apps starting up, optimising/killing them. Optimise all apps, but then un-optimise DJI GO. It has the advantage of killing unnecessary background apps starting up while you are flying. You only have to do this once, checking occasionally that new apps or updates haven't changed this setting.
           Before each flight session:
# Always run in airplane mode. Explicitly turn off WiFi & cell data as well.
#  In Android control panel go to Storage, select the internal storage, and clean/delete cache.
# Get an App task killer like AVG, always kill as many/all apps before starting DJI Go.(make sure you don't set off a scan while doing this)
# Close every open App.(this is different to killing apps)
# Turn on GPS after doing above.
# once your phone is clean of other apps and empty cache, start up RC then DJI GO.

Good luck
2017-6-7
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

Oglo Posted at 2017-6-7 16:37
I don't have any of these problems on a HTC. Sorry to hear about all of yours. Maybe you are already doing it, but I do the following -

Thanks Oglo, I have been doing 75% of the steps you outlined, but very good tips nonetheless.  I am going to try to un-optimize GO 4 and see what happens next time I fly, as well as look into an App killer.  I will also try cleaning cache right before flight, I do this every couple weeks now.
2017-6-7
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

same to me, but i use Galaxy S5 Android 6.0.1....I have not had a problem since I bought the bird...dont know whats the problem with other phones/tablets on Android
2017-6-7
Use props
IvanCl4udio
New

Brazil

Hi guys,

I had planned to buy a Mavic Pro, but on my researches in internet a subject that always shows up, its the problem with android application from DJI.

On Playstore, the ranking of DJI GO application its 2.5. This score its quite low for a company with his size and reputation. If I understood, the drone it is a very good equipament, but the application to control him, only to Android, its sucks. Am I right?

The DJI offers some kind of oficial support for the users? I say that because there isn`t any response on Playstore, and I think that they should have a solution for that.
2017-6-8
Use props
Matias73
lvl.2
Germany

Hello,

The Mavic is an amazing piece of equipment. And using an iPhone it can also be used as specified.
A phone running Android may cause major problems (at least with some models). It seems to me that the issues are linked with Android 7.
The support provided by DJI is quite limited and is promising that the problems will be fixed in one of the next updates of the app.
An alternative would be to use the Litchi app (which apparently runs fine) but this may cause problems with the DJI warranty in case of a failure.
So I will probably wait for the next update and decide then to keep the Mavic or to sell it.

Regards
Matias
2017-6-9
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Android on a Samsung A5 for months now. Not one single problem.
2017-6-9
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

IvanCl4udio Posted at 2017-6-8 02:53
Hi guys,

I had planned to buy a Mavic Pro, but on my researches in internet a subject that always shows up, its the problem with android application from DJI.

My experience has been constant crashes on two different android devices on the recommended list since March.  I've been waiting 3 months for an update to fix this as well as I have sent my Mavic in to service just to eliminate the aircraft/controller as the issue.  DJI has been no help and will not acknowledge an issue.  Knowing what I know now about their service/support and the lack of stability of the Android app, I would stay far far away from the Mavic.  The aircraft is wonderful, so just keep tabs on this forum and the play store reviews after the app updates to see if the app has been fixed.  I wouldn't hold my breath.
2017-6-9
Use props
fansa455fe03
New
Germany

After the Update on Android the App Crash erverytime when I push the REC, Button....Its not possible to make a Video!
Also some Problems with other Functions...Love the Copter but the App its so Bad....no Help at all from DJI..
2017-6-9
Use props
spoonlamp_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 301506 ft
Romania

I've not done the upgrade yet but I found turning the display settings down on my S7Edge might have solved the issue. I was getting app crashes and hangs all the time with the phone being incredibly hot before hand. I've only managed one flight with the new settings so far but it didn't crash once. Worth a try.
2017-6-9
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
Flight distance : 12224 ft
United States

i use a dedicated phone to fly with so battery doesn't run down quickly and it doesn't crash
2017-6-10
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

After taking the suggestion to turn down the display resolution and setting the display mode to basic, the app is much more stable.  Thanks to Bill in Ohio!  I flew 3 batteries with one app crash.  Quite an improvement over 3 crashes per battery.  As to the cause of the crashes, I don't believe that this addresses the underlying issue with the app.  Given all of the testing and suggestions and experiences I have read about over the past 3 months I think the cause and effect is quite simple.  There is something going on with the app that is overloading the CPU.  The CPU then after time gets to hot and throttles back and can't keep up with the demand being placed on it by the GO4 app resulting in the app crashing.  This CPU throttling is a standard feature of all mobile (and most desktop) chipsets and effectively reduces the CPU clock speed which allows the chips to cool off.  When cool enough, the CPU returns to normal operating speed.  The reason that there are so many suggestions as to how to fix this app issues is that (I think) the issue is triggered by too much demand being places on the CPU.  Anything you can do to reduce the demand on the CPU will result in it running cooler and taking a longer time to overheat and cause a crash.  Reducing screen resolution is certainly something that reduces the load on the chipset.  To verify, I noticed that during the 2 flights that had no crashes, the phone was noticeably cooler to the touch.  So, in conclusion, kill anything (aside from GO4) that is using CPU cycles.  Background tasks, Airplane mode, reduced screen resolution etc. are all good places to start.  Oglo had several good suggestions above.
2017-6-10
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I use a Samsung TabS2 tablet. I have to turn it off and then power it on with the cable connected and the remote on for it to connect properly. I have developed a workflow that's pretty quick to get it up and running. But once it is I have been very fortunate in that I am yet to have a crash or disconnection so far. Worth noting that I have refused the update to Android 7.0 for fear of problems that have been discussed relating to it.
2017-6-10
Use props
Scrappy
lvl.2
United States

So I had a test flight yesterday, after cleaning up my phone's storage, cache, etc.  Also have been running app killers and setting up in Airplane mode.  Doing as many things as possible to reduce processor loading and increase available memory.  I couldn't find a setting on my phone to reduce resolution, but I will keep investigating.

I had 2 crashes in 1 battery, which for me up until now has been the new norm.  I think Android 7 with the latest apps, just isn't playing nice.

Not sure where to go next besides an Ipad mini.  I just can't feel as comfortable flying until this is resolved, and for some of us I think it is out of our hands.  The app needs an overhaul.

2017-6-19
Use props
Deepfreeze
lvl.4
Canada

When I first got the mavic, it was completely unusable  with my Nexus 6P. Latest updates, and haven't had an issue in the last 5 outings.
running the latest patches on Nougat.
All good in the hood.
'
2017-6-19
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87552 ft
United States

I too have same issue. Running it on a Samsung S8plus
2017-6-19
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
United States

Mainly my issue is it will crash and not record my flight path, or at least all of it. Hence why it says I only have 4193ft in flight distance... Thats no way shape or form correct. I at least have 4500'  LOL... I wish DJI would put some real effort into this app. PERIOD>?
2017-6-19
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-6-5 15:55
Upgraded and flew once yesterday without any issues.  Today rain.  One thing I found on my Samsung S7 Android 7.0, DJI GO4 app 4.1, and firmware 1.03.07 was that my disconnects went away when I went into my phone's settings and turned display resolution down to 1920 x 1080 and maybe more importantly set the display mode to "Basic" instead of one of the fancier display modes.  Did this originally about 3 weeks ago and rarely disconnect now.

Bill, you turned you phone settings down or your app settings via DJI down?
2017-6-19
Use props
Paul C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3891 ft
Netherlands

Well, I'm sorry to say... I have both the mavic and the P4P and... the app crashes about once every 5 to 10 minutes. Not nice. Bought the P4P first and after a month the mavic. The drones are probably the best out there, not so much the sorry state of the DJI go 4 app. Yesterday the weather was nice and I had promised a friend to let him fly. Bad thing about it: There was an update I didn't install before. I wish I didn't do that.

I do not fly very often. And, as they say, must be up to date. If it would work updates are a necessity because those who know, decided to add something. The problem is: Before you add stuff I would expect you to have something that controls a flying thing to be bug free.

Why oh why do you add stuff when the first itteration of the GO 4 app was buggy as hell? Oh, yes, I do fly with an android device. And the funny thing about it: those who fly with and Apple phone/tablet have the chance experience the woes of android and DJI GO 4 app: Buy the P4P Pro Plus.

While I am here: Is the Litchi app any good? I wouln't mind to say good bye to the GO 4 app...
2017-6-19
Use props
Paul C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3891 ft
Netherlands

Short answer: Yes the crashing has improved. Not the app. First it was about once every flight, now it is every 5 to 10 minutes. Oh, sorry, you meant improved in the working of the app.
2017-6-19
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
United States

I just did what Bill from Ohio said. I have not crashed the APP yet. Thanks Bill
2017-6-20
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Air5757 Posted at 2017-6-19 10:15

On the Samsung S7 .  I went into the PHONE settings and turned the DISPLAY setting to "BASIC" and resolution to "1920x1080".  Both of which when set higher resolution or special display modes (for more cinematic etc.) state the power useage goes up, ie. more processing power required and therefore less available for the info coming from the RC to be processed.  The phone also says those modes are not supported by some apps.  I usually remember to turn off wifi and blutooth as they drain power and require the phone to keep looking for them.  Hope that helps.
I flew 15 times in the last week or so and onely two disconnects (one which was probably my fault), which are quickly rectified by pressing the spot to the left of the button (usually used to close out apps or select apps at the bottom and then tapping on dji GO4.  It comes back up.  If not close it then tap on dji go4 again.
2017-6-22
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Air5757 Posted at 2017-6-19 10:15

Turn your Phone display settings down.
2017-7-4
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63012 ft
Malaysia

I do not have any crashes with my s7 edge running nougat. I do have my phone's display resolution set to 1080p instead of 2k.
2017-7-4
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

fansa455fe03 Posted at 2017-6-9 12:20
After the Update on Android the App Crash erverytime when I push the REC, Button....Its not possible to make a Video!
Also some Problems with other Functions...Love the Copter but the App its so Bad....no Help at all from DJI..

I have this EXACT same problem even with latest app 4.1.13.

HTC One M7 that worked perfectly before.

Please don't chime in and tell me it's not on the approved phone list.  It worked perfectly previous to DJI app upgrades.

2017-7-4
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-4 06:54
Turn your Phone display settings down.

yep i did it a few weeks ago, pretty much crash free now... thank you   
2017-7-4
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

I only just got the mavic this week.. had about 10 flights so far and even with latest 4.1.3 version I still get 1 app force close per flight..

I can't pin down or replicate when it happens it's totally random.

Phone is a Google pixel XL running android 8.0 (Dev preview 3)
2017-7-4
Use props
djiuser_bfwafkl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 443156 ft
United States

I don't have any of these problems on a HTC. Sorry to hear about all of yours. Maybe you are already doing it, but I do the following -

Hello Oglo, I have 2 Mavic Pro all with original equipment from DJI, no cheap batteries and all real. I use a Lenovo Tablet model   TB-X505 F  running Android 9 built new in 7-4-2019.
I use the DJI GO 4 App and it never stops, does anything wierd, crashes or misbehaves at all. BUT- if I try to enter the batter settings and click on change # of discharge days the app restarts as if I just turn the controller back and goes right to show flight info ready for safe tak off. The batteries are set since new to discharge in 10 days.  The only other oddity is if I choose to change the C1 & C2 settings and it also upsets the app. Please let me tell you I do not store batteries charged high as I know it will damage them anyway. I charge a battery if I will use it that evening or the bext day and if I may fly more I may charge a second battery or a third. I never leave them charge and use them down to about 15% if they are to sit for a week or 2. So everything works and I really have no intention to set the C1& C2 keys different anyway but I do not understand why the app gets upset over a change to these settings. FYI: I also use this tablet on my DJI Fly app for 2 Mavic Minis I own and it does everything it can without a hitch so I know the tablet has no internal issues to cause this issue.  dding a note about an Alcatel I use for the Mavic Minis as well also woorks 100% also but it is not even seeing the drone Mavic Pro when connected to the Pro controller. I have also followed your great directions for setting my tablet  which I ONLY use for flying my Mavic Pros and nothing else. Yet I still get that odd issue in changing these settings. I do not care to change them but am curious why they upset the app. The GO 4 app has never ever stopped running using the Pro Drones! Any clues you might know why? Ray C. FL
2020-11-12
Use props
djiuser_bfwafkl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 443156 ft
United States

I don't have any of these problems on a HTC. Sorry to hear about all of yours. Maybe you are already doing it, but I do the following -

Oglo, I should have mentioned I use DJI Go 4 Version  4.3.37, & was using 4.3.36 and always has the same issues so you know what version I was running with the Mavic Pros I own.
Ray C. FL
2020-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules