Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
gimbal and flight stability issue
1217 13 2017-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84957 ft
United States

Hello,

yesterday i was flying my drone after just getting it back from repair shop, and on my first flight the camera was dropping to the bottom right ever so slightly even when it was landed and on level ground.

also on its descent it was very unstable as if it was fighting some wind even tho it was very calm weather.

Any ideas ?

2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

also i had to significantly shorten this explanation due to every time i wrote it, it wouldnt let me post it due to "bad information"

so please ask any and all questions
2017-6-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's hard to say based on that description. Can you post a video so we can see what's happening from the camera's perspective?
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-6 09:04
It's hard to say based on that description. Can you post a video so we can see what's happening from the camera's perspective?

I am work right now but will be posting a video of the camera drop and of the unstable descent later today. but its a slow droop to the bottom right. and when i try to bring the gimbal back up, the system thinks the gimbal is in the very upright position. i have to bring the gimbal down and then back up to get it at its full upright position
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-6 09:04

if you want a more detailed explanation, check out my thread on Mavicpilots

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/c ... ility-issues.18520/
2017-6-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-6-6 09:11
if you want a more detailed explanation, check out my thread on Mavicpilots

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/camera-gimbal-and-flight-stability-issues.18520/

Out of curiosity, did the friend who used your Mavic while you were traveling mention anything about this? Since he's owned a Mavic for a while you'd think he would have noticed something like this. Any chance that he might have crashed it during the time that the two of you traded drones?
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-6 09:32
Out of curiosity, did the friend who used your Mavic while you were traveling mention anything about this? Since he's owned a Mavic for a while you'd think he would have noticed something like this. Any chance that he might have crashed it during the time that the two of you traded drones?

he actually never used it. The replacement drone they sent to me, came with 4 of the same type of blades, instead of 2-2. so he couldnt fly it even if he wanted to. luckily i had spares. and he has had a mavic drone for a while but doesnt use it very often so he knows very little
2017-6-6
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

With regard to unstable landing, you might also check the props.  Although I'd think the IMU could compensate.
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-6-6 10:05
With regard to unstable landing, you might also check the props.  Although I'd think the IMU could compensate.

i at one point went inside and changed some of the props. i dont have a full set but was able to change 2 of them. the other 2 were brand new since they were my back up props. also its worth noting that the IMU calibration would take about 15-30 seconds longer then usual.
2017-6-6
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-6-6 10:12
i at one point went inside and changed some of the props. i dont have a full set but was able to change 2 of them. the other 2 were brand new since they were my back up props. also its worth noting that the IMU calibration would take about 15-30 seconds longer then usual.

Did you check the downward vision sensors?
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-6-6 13:03
Did you check the downward vision sensors?

wasnt really sure what to check for, from a physical standpoint yeah they were fine. the error message corrected itself after a couple seconds but the camera droop still continued
2017-6-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-6 09:32

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq1AWfv-g6g

Here is a YouTube video of it ever so slightly falling. It's not extreme, but it's definitely not supposed to happen. Its a lot more noticeable while flying. This video was shot right after I calibrated the gimbal twice. I tried to get a video of its shaky flying while descending but all I have is my cell phone so you can't really notice it.
2017-6-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-6-7 10:52
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq1AWfv-g6g

Here is a YouTube video of it ever so slightly falling. It's not extreme, but it's definitely not supposed to happen. Its a lot more noticeable while flying. This video was shot right after I calibrated the gimbal twice. I tried to get a video of its shaky flying while descending but all I have is my cell phone so you can't really notice it.

Gimbal calibration would have been my first suggestion, but if you've already done it twice I can't imagine that more attempts will help. And yes, I agree that the mismatched props is a bad sign; it sounds like maybe you drew the short straw when they were sending out Care Refresh replacements.

It's probably a long shot, but the only other thing I can suggest is that you try calibrating the remote and maybe even seeing if your friend will let you borrow his long enough to link it and see if the problem still occurs with a different one. If the problem persists then I can't think of what else to suggest besides contacting DJI and sending it back for yet another replacement. Good luck.
2017-6-7
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-7 15:44
Gimbal calibration would have been my first suggestion, but if you've already done it twice I can't imagine that more attempts will help. And yes, I agree that the mismatched props is a bad sign; it sounds like maybe you drew the short straw when they were sending out Care Refresh replacements.

It's probably a long shot, but the only other thing I can suggest is that you try calibrating the remote and maybe even seeing if your friend will let you borrow his long enough to link it and see if the problem still occurs with a different one. If the problem persists then I can't think of what else to suggest besides contacting DJI and sending it back for yet another replacement. Good luck.

thanks, i didnt even think about it possibly being a RC issue. thanks for the advice! you the man !
2017-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules