Mavic Battery fail after FW upgrade
5030 14 2017-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Buzz
New
Australia

I have the Mavic Pro and during a firmware update prompted by a inconsistent firmware message - due to older firmware in the battery - the firmware update stopped. I now have a battery that has the middle two green lights on and if you put the battery into the Mavic it starts up right away, without being turned on. The battery was fully charged when I started the FW update.

I found out that the battery is stuck in the “firmware upgrade mode”. I then followed the suggested solutions mentioned in the DJI forums. I downgraded to 01.03.0600 with one of the good batteries. As this went into the next day, I then put the failed battery in the hub but the hub charging light stayed on red, indicating that it would not charge it and the two middle LEDs remained on – no change. I then bypassed the hub and plugged the charger directly into the battery for 4 hours. The two middle LEDs remained on, so no change there but it may have been charging as I now measure the battery with my multimeter at 12.7v. (It would normally be at 12.9v after a charge but it has been a day since I charged and I have tried to upgrade it a few times it so it has dropped a bit). The rated nominal battery voltage is 11.4v.

I then attempt to do the upgrade on the Mavic and the battery with Assistant 2 from 01.03.0600 to 01.03.0700. I connect it by USB cable but when I when I click “Upgrade” it gives me a message that the battery needs to be at least 50% charged to do the upgrade. But it is clearly 100% charged, as shown by my battery voltage measurement. I try the same thing with the DJI Go 4 app, after uninstalling and re-installing the app to clear the cache, I tap on the upgrade message and it will not proceed as the same 50% charged message appears. I have checked the battery voltage on the DJI Go 4 app and it states 0%. I have made sure that in Advanced Settings the “Show Voltage on Main Screen” is turned on.

How do I get this battery out of “firmware upgrade mode”? I need to get Assistant 2 or DJI Go 4 app to see the battery as charged above 50% to do the upgrade so I can then use it. I have tried all of the solutions so far.

2017-6-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

So are you saying that the battery cannot be turned off?
2017-6-6
Use props
Sky Buzz
New
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-6-6 22:24
So are you saying that the battery cannot be turned off?

Yes, it goes into a standby type mode  where the two middle lights look like they are on all the time but they are actually in a cycle where they are on for 16 seconds and off for one second and it repeats this cycle. It is not possible to turn them off because it is stuck in a firmware upgrade mode. As soon as you insert the battery into the Mavic it starts up.

I emailed DJI support  but they were not familiar with this problem and advised me to return the battery for evaluation, although I have read of  others on this forum who had a similar issue and they have  solved it.
2017-6-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Sky Buzz Posted at 2017-6-7 06:48
Yes, it goes into a standby type mode  where the two middle lights look like they are on all the time but they are actually in a cycle where they are on for 16 seconds and off for one second and it repeats this cycle. It is not possible to turn them off because it is stuck in a firmware upgrade mode. As soon as you insert the battery into the Mavic it starts up.

I emailed DJI support  but they were not familiar with this problem and advised me to return the battery for evaluation, although I have read of  others on this forum who had a similar issue and they have  solved it.

Have you seen this thread and tried the solution?
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid628463

If that does not work I think you may have to start a Case with DJI and have it sent back.
2017-6-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Sky Buzz Posted at 2017-6-7 06:48

I have thought of something else you could try.
Open the DJI Assistant 2 program. Then connect the battery to the charging hub. Then connect the charging hub to you PC. The Assistant 2 program should recognise the hub as it has firmware in it. It may also finish the battery update.
2017-6-9
Use props
MIKE.D
New
Flight distance : 9111 ft
United States

I was doing the 0700 to 0800 FW update and had two failures and one success. The successful update left the battery used in that update working fine; the two failed updates left two batteries with the two middle LEDs on, the batteries cause the drone to immediately power-up when they are installed, yet the drone will not spin up nor can I do/resume a firmware update/refresh/downgrade because I get I "Battery must be at least 50%" error message. I have tried charging the two bad batteries via the hub and individually as has been suggested. I have also tried to make DJI Assistant 2 see the batteries via the micro USB port on the hub, but Windows says it doesn't recognize such a USB device.  I have lodged an Email inquiry to DJI and await their response.
2017-6-11
Use props
MIKE.D
New
Flight distance : 9111 ft
United States

MIKE.D Posted at 2017-6-11 17:41
I was doing the 0700 to 0800 FW update and had two failures and one success. The successful update left the battery used in that update working fine; the two failed updates left two batteries with the two middle LEDs on, the batteries cause the drone to immediately power-up when they are installed, yet the drone will not spin up nor can I do/resume a firmware update/refresh/downgrade because I get I "Battery must be at least 50%" error message. I have tried charging the two bad batteries via the hub and individually as has been suggested. I have also tried to make DJI Assistant 2 see the batteries via the micro USB port on the hub, but Windows says it doesn't recognize such a USB device.  I have lodged an Email inquiry to DJI and await their response.

DJI responded with an obvious pro forma reply instructing me to download the current DJI Assistant application to my PC (MAC), and restart the firmware upgrade process. Of course, I had explained that I had already tried that and that it works with one battery but with the other two batteries, with LEDs stuck in the ON state, upgrading is impossible because the DJI Assistant believes that the batteries have less than 50% power and the GO PRO 4 application will not even report any battery status. So, they then have requested photos of the batteries and screenshots of the DJI PRO 4 application, Name, Address, Phone, etc., etc. I suspect that an RMA is forthcoming. It is taking a bit of time, but I think DJI is doing a reasonable job of responding. FORTUNATELY I have a functioning battery and updated Mavic which still works! So, my situation could certainly be worse.
2017-6-13
Use props
chri5t0pher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3655 ft
Australia

I have seen people fix this issue using the assistant 2 for mac but i cannot find the software anywhere. Where can I download it i'm having the same problem with my Mavic too. I had two batteries fail FW updates as well as the Mavic itself and I litteraly just want a working drone.
2017-6-19
Use props
fans2d1b05ee
New
United States

I encountered this problem myself yesterday. I found a way to fix it, unless your battery is fully discharged then you are in trouble. This happens due to the user being lazy and not firmware upgrading with a full battery (like DJI recommends). So you'll need to plug your battery into the power supply directly, do not use the 3 battery charging hub. Wait 2 hours, then plug it back into your drone, then connect drone to computer with the DJI APP. The battery is already on so your drone should power up right away. Then proceed to upgrade firmware. If for some reason like me had multiple upgrades to go through, you will have to unplug the battery and restart the drone after every upgrade. Hope this helps.
2017-6-25
Use props
Kerozen
lvl.1
France

fans2d1b05ee Posted at 2017-6-25 12:12
I encountered this problem myself yesterday. I found a way to fix it, unless your battery is fully discharged then you are in trouble. This happens due to the user being lazy and not firmware upgrading with a full battery (like DJI recommends). So you'll need to plug your battery into the power supply directly, do not use the 3 battery charging hub. Wait 2 hours, then plug it back into your drone, then connect drone to computer with the DJI APP. The battery is already on so your drone should power up right away. Then proceed to upgrade firmware. If for some reason like me had multiple upgrades to go through, you will have to unplug the battery and restart the drone after every upgrade. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the tip.
I encountered the same problem today with one of my batteries. I followed your procedure and it worked fine !
2017-7-2
Use props
Sky Buzz
New
Australia

Update to Original Post:

I have read and tried ALL of the solutions suggested on thses forums but nothing worked for me.
After going through a lot of emails and explanation to DJI Support - they must have not been reading what I was sending them -  they finally sent me a return mail form to send the battery back to them.
Unfortunately this took three weeks to receive it and now my battery is completely dead. It turns out that the service centre is close to me and I could have dropped it off there had they told me the address earlier. Because the battery is now dead they cannot charge it and test it and reset the battery. This is a battery that the cells are good because I am a electronics technician and I measured them. The battery became locked up as a result of a firmware upgrade failure to complete. This update was done on the DJI Go app. The other 5 batteries were successfully upgraded using the Assistant 2.

It is also now 5 weeks out of warranty so they are charging me $105.00 to replace the battery.

The DJI Go app says that you have have "inconsistent firmware" and so you upgrade the firmware and if it fails, as there are many examples of that happening posted here,  then you are left with a unusable battery. If you are out of warranty then you will have to wear the cost. Even if the failure is due to a poorly designed firmware upgrade system. Also there is was no way that I could find to unlock this so-called "Intelligent Battery".

2017-7-17
Use props
BradBr
lvl.1
Australia

Hey fans2d1b05ee

Thanks for the fix I had the same issue and was able to resolve it following your instructions. onya Buddy
2017-8-5
Use props
djiuser_U4JHyyW
New
Brazil

Thank you fans2d1b05ee
I follow your insteuction and it worked for me ;)

Remember it doesnt work using the remote control+cellphone+mavic+DJI4 only works using PC+mavic+DJI Assistant
2017-8-10
Use props
VoDoXuS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88619 ft
Singapore

Had the same issue, as with most people here. Fixed it via DJI Assistant 2 on the Mac for me (not saying pc doesnt work, just that I use a mac)

. Plugged in the battery direct to the charger for about 4 hrs.
Popped it into the mavic,
mavic turned on automatically.
Ran Dji Assistant
Plugged in Mavic via USB.
DJIA2 tells me that the battery needs a firmware update,
Updates....
Ding! Done.... ...
2017-8-10
Use props
Hornero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 718143 ft
Argentina

Had the same problem today, due an unstable connection on USB cable, I guess because a defective cable on the mini-port.
Following your indications, I recovered my intelligent battery .
I owe you a big "Thanks, fans2d1b05ee" !
Jorge
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules