Visiting Austria
6400 13 2017-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25499 ft
United Kingdom

I have a trip planned to Zell Am See in Austria in September and was hoping to take my Mavic with me. Looking online it appears that the local laws are quite strict. Anyone with any experience flying in Austria can provide some first hand experiences and guidance?
2017-6-6
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I am Austrian and I can give you the following - personal and not legally binding - advice:

Basically, by Austrian law all drones over 250 grams have to get a registration certificate with the Austrian Air Traffic Control organization AustroControl. This is a lengthy and expensive procedure (350 Euros) so for a short holiday it does not make sense.

I have such a permission for my Phantom, but my practical approach would be to fly somewhere where you don't bother anyone: Outside of cities, towns, private houses and certainly away from any airport. Zell am See has a quite busy regional airfield so be careful with approach/landing routes. If you fly away from these areas, no one should bother you. In fact, police has no clue about the active rules. I guess if you fly somewhere in the mountains or countryside and take good care, you should be OK. Be safe and stay away from people, traffic and airplanes!
2017-6-8
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply. I was struggling to get a concise answer from google so wanted someone with first hand experience to speak to. I think I may just leave it at home. Shame as Austria looks a beautiful country and would be fun to photo from the air.
2017-6-8
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belgium

I wouldn't necessarily leave it at home. Again, if you stay away from trouble and take safe photos in nature, no one will bother you. In fact, since I fly drones (3 years now) I have never been even asked or commented on by law enforcement. It is simply not yet on their radar - except if you interfere with air traffic.
2017-6-8
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'll give it some thought. I wasn't planning to fly it over any towns and cities. Just the lake and mountains. However the lake is right next to the city.
2017-6-9
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Oh and thank you for taking the time to help me out with it.

Just out of curiosity what's you're opinion of the Spark? Planning on getting one?
2017-6-9
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

fansca03f17f Posted at 2017-6-9 03:48
Oh and thank you for taking the time to help me out with it.

Just out of curiosity what's you're opinion of the Spark? Planning on getting one?

I think I need a Spark, yes. It's a great little tool and perfect for traveling! How about you?
2017-6-9
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm on the fence. Have actually preordered one and cancelled the order three times now. I think it looks good fun and the small size would make it ideal for indoor and family use but then I worry it may make my Mavic redundant. I don't shoot in 4k but I do like having the frame rate options. I still may get one yet.
2017-6-9
Use props
havrosh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566785 ft
Czechia

Hi, I would recommend you MAIA app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.togle.droners&hl=en)You can easily find fligth restrictions and maps. Austria is covered

Screenshot_20170614-190825.png
2017-6-14
Use props
fansca03f17f
lvl.2
United Kingdom

havrosh Posted at 2017-6-14 09:16
Hi, I would recommend you MAIA app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.togle.droners&hl=en)You can easily find fligth restrictions and maps. Austria is covered

[view_image]

That's great thanks. Looks like Zell Am See is just on the cusp of a no fly zone. I'm assuming that us the flight path mentioned earlier in thus discussion.
2017-6-16
Use props
Mike400
New
Australia

Useful info.  Always concerned about rules in other countries and don't want to have my Mavic confiscated.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansbdfec968
lvl.2
  • >>>
Greece

So, I am also visiting Austria this Easter and I would like to take my Mavic Pro with me. I just want to take landscape pictures.
My only concern, after reading this thread, is if I will be ok with the airport check.
2018-3-2
Use props
Foto8
lvl.1

Please Note depend on the Military Activity SOME Airspace are restricted!
Here is a Map for Google Earth (NOT GOOGLE MAPS!!!) https://www.austrocontrol.at/piloten/vor_dem_flug/aim_produkte/luftraumstruktur who show where some (temporoy) Restricted Airspace are.
Please look into the NOTAM where the currently have an restricted Airspace.

Hi
Ist hier jemand von euch ein echter Pilot mit Lizenz und so?
Lg
2019-9-26
Use props
Foto8
lvl.1

Please Note depend on the Military Activity SOME Airspace are restricted!
Here is a Map for Google Earth (NOT GOOGLE MAPS!!!) https://www.austrocontrol.at/pil ... te/luftraumstruktur who show where some (temporoy) Restricted Airspace are.
Please look into the NOTAM where the currently have an restricted Airspace.

Hi
Ist hier jemand von euch ein echter Pilot mit Lizenz und so?
Lg
2019-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules