Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI What Happened to Smart Return Home
123Next >
8133 90 2017-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can someone from DJI please please give official word on why this feature was removed in the new Firmware? As you know it was there for a reason. The other day I'm flying with 50% battery and that damn Drone wants to return home screen in 10 seconds starts popping up and I'm canceling and it's popping up, ruins the flight..I was like 3000 feet away. With a tail wind I was back in no time with over 40% battery to spare. The computer cannot factor in winds, height etc acurately as a pilot. Please put this back.

2017-6-8
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Amazing can't get an answer on this. Of course DJI support is all over the place. One says gone forever, another it's not gone it's my controller. etc etc...can we get a definitive answer on this. For me it's a deal breaker. I can't fly or film with the every 10 second pop up telling me to go home with 55% battery
2017-6-9
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I'm interested in hearing an answer as well, I can't believe they would remove this feature as it's a pretty big selling point and uses hardware specific for this task.
2017-6-9
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-9
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montymelon Posted at 2017-6-9 17:18
I have the same issue. It also makes waypoint flying almost impossible since it cancels out of a mission it can easily accomplish. Support gave me the run around as well.

Yep BINGO this is a BIG ONE. I remember when I first started flying and didn't know about shutting it off I was in a mission, lost RC signal. When I regained signal I found that the mission ended the second the Smart Return to Home kicked in and the craft just sat there idling. It didn't return home. Contacted Litchi who informed me to shut of smart return to home.
2017-6-9
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-10
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is ridiculous! Same issue... I cannot complete a Waypoint mission I'm contracted to do this weekend. Furious!
2017-6-10
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

When you say "Smart Return to Home" is that the function you mean or are you referring to the return to home feature that happens when RC link is lost. The reason I ask is there are two areas on my controller (P4P+) for these. The one for straight Return to Home has three choices when link is lost - return to home, hover or land. My controller even after the update still shows in the advanced vision sensing setting a selection called "Smart Return to Home" and there is a slider switch with the ability to turn it off. Attached picture shows the option in the advanced vision settings.

settings

settings
2017-6-10
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gulfstream Posted at 2017-6-10 09:34
This is ridiculous! Same issue... I cannot complete a Waypoint mission I'm contracted to do this weekend. Furious!

Yep the main reason I kept it disabled. The other day I was about 3000 feet out and decided to start a small 3 minute mission, it wouldn't start said not enough battery I was over 50%
2017-6-10
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montymelon Posted at 2017-6-11 06:44
Yep.  And you have people on here like Hallmark who defend DJI and say this is not a problem. No wonder it takes forever for them to fix it- if they ever do.

The fact that removing this option was not in any changelogs is very deceiving.

Wrong Hallmark didn't say it was not a problem, I said that it could be reversed unless it was changed for some good reason we don't know about.

I flew a litchi mission this morning 17 minutes, I had no problem I had 35% battery left.
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My Dealings with DJI Re Smart RTH

Round and round we go.... Image to large to post here.

http://i.xomf.com/jjrpd.jpg

2017-6-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hmm, the image is too large to be bothered with as well. Why not tell your story in simple text terms.
2017-6-11
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-11 21:21
Hmm, the image is too large to be bothered with as well. Why not tell your story in simple text terms.

Too long
2017-6-11
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Basically after many messages and me sending images of the Smart RTH I was referring to they sent me a link tonight to the Smart return to home under the Visual Navigation's  I give up..
2017-6-12
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

TL;DR ?
2017-6-12
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

brian are you sure the function is gone? please check again and send a photo of your cat so we can confirm this is not a user mistake. lol

ok now seriously: i feel you. i am living in china and must speak to people like this every day. if i learn one thing in china: they will make you crazy. sooner or later. for me its sooner.
2017-6-12
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-6-12 00:17
Basically after many messages and me sending images of the Smart RTH I was referring to they sent me a link tonight to the Smart return to home under the Visual Navigation's  I give up..

Aloha Brian,

This problem appears to be unique to your system.  Mine did get interrupted (because I enabled it in your honor) but it canceled once I touched the cancel option and never returned.  

I must say that it would be very distracting to have it keep coming back at you.  You really need to find out why your system is doing that because it is not happening with others.  Well, I am often considered random and I tried to replicate your problem but it did not replicate.

Anyway, we now need to get into your device model, firmware versions and other details.  Please provide as much information that you think might be relevant to your problem so we can work on it.  The problem does not appear to be from the DJI end.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Brian, sincerely sorry for this , like Cetacean mentioned , we need more details to work on it, please provide us the APP version, mobile device model, OS version. Besides , if you have upgraded the APP version, please tell us the previous version also, appreciate your patience,  thank you in advance.
2017-6-12
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-12 01:30
Brian, sincerely sorry for this , like Cetacean mentioned , we need more details to work on it, please provide us the APP version, mobile device model, OS version. Besides , if you have upgraded the APP version, please tell us the previous version also, appreciate your patience,  thank you in advance.

Hi DJI Thor, I hope you won't mind me chiming in this thread, but I think I may be able to clarify something.
Brian Kushner posted pictures showing that a feature was missing, but he erroneusly thought that this was due to the latest aircraft firmware update (in the picture at the beginning of this thread he inserted upgrade version numbers)

The issue he complains about does NOT depend on firmware upgrade but on the newer version of the DJI GO4 App. In DJI GO 4 V 4.0.7 there was a sliding switch marked "Smart Return-to-Home" in the Aircraft Battery section of the app, that could be set ON or OFF, allowing or disallowing the triggering of RTH based on the remaining power stored in the battery (enough to return home or not, based on internal computation). In DJI GO 4 V 4.1.0 this feature is not present anymore. I enclose two pictures, one from my iPad Air 2 running DJI GO 4 App V 4.0.7 showing the feature, and one from my iPad 5th Generation, running DJI GO 4 V 4.1.0 (both linked to the same aircraft and RC,  whose firmware versions can be also seen in the pictures. I hope this will help sorting out the possible misunderstandings.

DJI GO 4 App V 4.0.7

DJI GO 4 App V 4.0.7

DJI GO 4 App V 4.1.0

DJI GO 4 App V 4.1.0
2017-6-12
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello DJI Thor - I would also like to chime in here. Antonio76 has  done a great job describing the issue, I also have the same problem. My device / firmware info is as follows:

DJI Go4 App Version - 4.1.0

RC Firmware Version - 01.04.01.00

Aircraft Firmware Version - 01.04.0602

Aircraft Database - 01.00.01.04

App Database - 01.00.04.04

Mobile Device - OnePlus One

Android OS Version - 6.0.1

Thank you!
2017-6-12
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-12 01:30

Many have  this issue and Antonion 76 has outlined it perfectly...
2017-6-12
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

To all that have provided mature feedback.. Thank you.

I have brought this to the proper peoples attention. Lets please give it some time. I have voiced why this is so important to our users. I do apologize for any trouble this has caused you!

(blade Strike, not DJI-Ken)
2017-6-12
Use props
SM-17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Malta

Smart RTH is in the advanced settings of the aircraft battery in the go app 4.1.0 of the pro plus
2017-6-12
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

SM-17 Posted at 2017-6-12 08:21
Smart RTH is in the advanced settings of the aircraft battery in the go app 4.1.0 of the pro plus

Interesting... what about the Android version for tablets/smartphones? But not in the iOS version of the App, 4.1.0. There in the advanced setting one only finds
"Show voltage on Main Screen",
"Time to Discharge",
"Details" -which shows "Current Status"
2017-6-12
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2017-6-12 07:48
To all that have provided mature feedback.. Thank you.

I have brought this to the proper peoples attention. Lets please give it some time. I have voiced why this is so important to our users. I do apologize for any trouble this has caused you!

Hi BladeStrike,

Thank you for responding and your support. I can also confirm these features are no longer available in the App for the P4P. I will check my Mavic Pro and Inspire 1 & 2

Rich
2017-6-12
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unless something I can't live without comes in a future update, it seems smart to just stick with my working version. Bugs and missing features and potential future limitations seem to keep coming up.
2017-6-12
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Here's to hoping they fix the poor live feed issues and Smart RTH issues before the P5 comes out!
2017-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for your info, Antonio 76, which is really helpful for us to figure it out, just confirmed with our engineers, this option has been deleted from the latest APP, since this function is always enabled in the latest APP and can't be disabled. Besides , this option is doing nothing with the firmware , just a little update of the APP.
2017-6-12
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-12 20:04
Thank you for your info, Antonio 76, which is really helpful for us to figure it out, just confirmed with our engineers, this option has been deleted from the latest APP, since this function is always enabled in the latest APP and can't be disabled. Besides , this option is doing nothing with the firmware , just a little update of the APP.

Which is precisely the problem, Thor. We don't want it constantly enabled for a variety of reasons, which is why we need the option back in the app so we have the CHOICE to disable it.
2017-6-12
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Please tell me why they would do this and please allow us the option to turn it off.
2017-6-12
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Thor

I would hope that DJI R&D team could reconsider this feature , a lot of us use this toggle to override the smart RTH in some situations

Please help us get this back
Rich
2017-6-12
Use props
KrisMinnear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6428340 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the Android version of 4.1.0 for my Phantom 4 (not pro or advanced) and the option to turn off Smart RTH is still there for me in the battery menu.  I used to leave it on because there was always a 10 second warning before RTH initiated and it could be canceled within that 10 seconds without messing up the flight I was recording.  But now due to Go 4's frequent crashing with the Android 7.0, I have had to switch to Litchi to fly.  Litchi does not give you the ability to cancel the Smart RTH until after it stops mid flight and initiates which obviously shows on the video that is being recorded.  Luckily, having the ability to disable Smart RTH before flight in DJI Go4 is saved in the drone itself (I think) and remains set that way even when flying under Litchi.  I now leave Smart RTH off all the time and just keep an eye on the fuel gauge and factor in wind, etc to make it back under my own authority.
2017-6-12
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI aren't responsible for supporting 3rd party apps. That's going to be their response.
2017-6-13
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-12 06:27
Hi DJI Thor, I hope you won't mind me chiming in this thread, but I think I may be able to clarify something.
Brian Kushner posted pictures showing that a feature was missing, but he erroneusly thought that this was due to the latest aircraft firmware update (in the picture at the beginning of this thread he inserted upgrade version numbers)

this information is correct!
2017-6-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules