Controller broke after *gasp* four days.
1366 14 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikko_blu
New
Flight distance : 12224 ft
United States

Hi there.

After 45 minutes of screwing around with this backwards forum, I'm finally allowed to post. DJI links you to old rules when you make a new account, which you then need to manuallyu click a link to new rules, which stipulate that you need 10 point to post. Coincidentally, you get 10 points by validating your email. You additionally get one point for logging in. Now, I don't have a major in mathematics, but Ms. Martin from 1st grade math tells me that 10 + 1 = 11. However, i ended up with 7 points. Someone should hire Ms. Martin.

So i tried to upload an avatar (for points), and got "IO Error occured during upload. Please try again". Well, i did try again. And again. Andddd, again. Nothing. Awesome. Fantastic. Great forum.

Anyways, after some poop-posting to get points I can finally ask for support on my problem, which i don't even have a name for. Just watch the video, and youll get the picture (or the video, i suppose).https://youtu.be/5RGUjFp62ss

I went to take off my Mavic, and this happened. Thank god i wasn't flying over the interstate when this happened.

I've owned my Mavic for 4 days. Four days. The controller has not been dropped, mishandeled, mangled, or misused in any way. It rests in a hardshell foam case with a joystick lock to prevent damage.

So, whats wrong?
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have you tried to calibrate

2017-6-10
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

How can i calibrate if the only direction the controls will go is down or to the right?
2017-6-10
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

Both sticks have stopped responding completely now.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mikko_blu Posted at 2017-6-10 03:00
Both sticks have stopped responding completely now.

It's a bit unclear what your problem is I didn't realise you were limited with stick movements although you show in your video, in order to try to help you out , maybe just spell out exactly what your problem is.
I'm not sure if you even attempted RC calibration from what you are saying

Can you do a factory reset in assistant 2, not sure if will work but it's worth trying.
2017-6-10
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 03:13
It's a bit unclear what your problem is I didn't realise you were limited with stick movements although you show in your video, in order to try to help you out , maybe just spell out exactly what your problem is.
I'm not sure if you even attempted RC calibration from what you are saying

Well, I'm a bit of loss for words as to how to describe it. Calibration is unsuccessful since when the problem appeared the DJI app was interpreting the controller as only going down or to the right. If i moved the sticks up, it responded as downward. When i moved them down, it went down. If i moved it to the left, it registered as moving right. if i moved to the right, it went right. You can see this in the video - when i move the stick up, the dot in the calibration menu goes down. The mavic responded to the controls in the same matter.

I tried restoring, and got "factory restore failed."

I updated firmware, and now both sticks don't even register as moving.

2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mikko_blu Posted at 2017-6-10 04:40
Well, I'm a bit of loss for words as to how to describe it. Calibration is unsuccessful since when the problem appeared the DJI app was interpreting the controller as only going down or to the right. If i moved the sticks up, it responded as downward. When i moved them down, it went down. If i moved it to the left, it registered as moving right. if i moved to the right, it went right. You can see this in the video - when i move the stick up, the dot in the calibration menu goes down. The mavic responded to the controls in the same matter.

I tried restoring, and got "factory restore failed."

Well maybe you will have to start a repair case. I have seen this problem with other controllers and are usually fixed with simple calibration.

Maybe try to contact a moderator here and they will give you some help. Dji Natalia is usually a good choice.
2017-6-10
Use props
Tripp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

From the video I can't tell if your phone has a case.  If it does, is it made out of metal or something magnetic?  The controller joysticks are very sensitive to magnetic interference.
2017-6-10
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

Tripp Posted at 2017-6-10 07:14
From the video I can't tell if your phone has a case.  If it does, is it made out of metal or something magnetic?  The controller joysticks are very sensitive to magnetic interference.

No case, It's just a larger LG phone i use so my primary phone doesn't have to be used.
2017-6-10
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The RC is not connected to the Mavic. Connect to the Mavic and then try again.
2017-6-10
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Mikko_blu Posted at 2017-6-10 07:48
No case, It's just a larger LG phone i use so my primary phone doesn't have to be used.

Ok - just to rule out any other factors:

- put the phone connected to the RC in airplane mode (less magnetic interference),

- remove props and the gimbal clamp from the Mavic,

- start the controller and DJI app

- start the Mavic,

- connect to the Mavic,

- do the remote calibration.

Let's see if that helps ;-) best of luck
2017-6-11
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-6-11 02:08

- put the phone connected to the RC in airplane mode (less magnetic interference),

No dice, controller sticks are still non responsive. i appreciate the help though!
2017-6-11
Use props
Mikko_blu
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-6-10 23:47
The RC is not connected to the Mavic. Connect to the Mavic and then try again.

When the problem originally occured, it was connected. I went to gain altitude, and the drone descended. It scared the hell out of me. After that (and when i took the video), i landed the drone, restarted everything, and found the controller was still wonky. Then i powered off the drone, and took the video of the sticks being weird right away just in case it ever changed. For example, the sticks don't respond at all anymore.
2017-6-11
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Mikko_blu Posted at 2017-6-11 02:28
No dice, controller sticks are still non responsive. i appreciate the help though!

Oh crap. If you can't force it to rise from the dead then your only option is to send it back in. This is not cool but not much else that can be done if even firmware flashing doesn't help. Sorry :/
2017-6-11
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-6-11 02:08

For starters, you can't do a remote calibration with the mavic connected to the remote.
2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules