DJI Geomap Update is Highly Inaccurate
2595 9 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimmyV
New
United States

The newly updated Geomap that DJI is using in my vicinity is highly inaccurate. Attached are images of the FAA map of the area showing the restricted zone only above the local military base (Fort Benning), as well as the DJI Geomap restricted zone which is centered over the base but then covers the entire city of Columbus, Georgia. The DJI maps should match the FAA maps. Is DJI unable to make non-circular GEO zones? Until this update I was able to fly near my home (purple locator in FAA map below). I hope DJI plans corrective actions to address this issue as there are many current and potential drone owners in this city that will be very displeased with inability to fly here. Thank you.

FAA vs DJI

FAA vs DJI

2017-6-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The DJI maps should match the FAA maps.

That would be ideal for fliers in the U.S., but DJI's GEO solution is by necessity a generic NFZ implementation that has to work around the world.

Is DJI unable to make non-circular GEO zones?

They have to be able to pack a large amount of NFZ data onto a drone and -- more importantly -- be able to quickly figure out if it's flying within an NFZ. One way to accomplish both is to just treat NFZs as circular areas, define the center of each one, and during flight compare the aircraft's current location with each of NFZs to find out if it's located within the radius of one. To accomplish something similar with an arbitrary polygon would by necessity be slower and more complex to maintain.

In other words, I suspect DJI probably just considers the circular NFZs a "good enough" solution that's practical to implement and relatively easy to maintain.
2017-6-10
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

Duuuuuuude. Columbus ga mavic flyer here. I have the same issue you did. Saturday I had an event to cover and couldn’t fly. I made another post on these boards as you. This is completely unfair!

Send me a private message and I’ll give you my number so we can work together to get this fixed. I plan on calling tomorrow.
2017-6-11
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

And also, they wouldn’t have to make non-circular zones. But maybe two circular zones could replace this one huge blob zone, that wrongly encompasses neighboring cities.
2017-6-11
Use props
fans93e324ba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32700 ft
United States

Did you ever get an answer on this? I live in the area and I'm so frustrated. I'm having the same problems.
2017-6-27
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

fans93e324ba Posted at 2017-6-27 19:02
Did you ever get an answer on this? I live in the area and I'm so frustrated. I'm having the same problems.

hey fans~,

Yes, I got a workaround for this.  Basically you have to contact DJI's flysafe inbox for an "individual unlocking request"  State that you want to fly in an area thats been incorrectly labeled as a no-fly zone.  If you want, you can reference my other post in the message you send them (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=865138) They already have the issue on file (i assume).  But basically you are going to map coordinates per their request map in areas that you would be able to fly in before the incorrect circular NFZ was put into place.  Becareful not to overlap fort benning or the airport's restricted airspace, or you will be shot down.  Any other place in columbus and they will grant you access to fly. Oh, and also, upload a copy of your ID.  

Once you have access, you go to the unlocking option in the app, and boom bam, you are good to go. (for three months -- which is BS)
2017-7-3
Use props
Jvflyboy1
New
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-12
Use props
P4rk3r3oy
New

United States

I have tried creative's way. Was careful not to include Columbus airport or actual Ft. Benning boundaries. Did not include jails or any other NFZs. Included ID and inappropriate mapping in reason for authorization. What exactly do I need to give them to let me fly in this area. I have areas to fly elsewhere in Talbot and Harris counties, some closer to Benning than here
2017-7-13
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

P4rk3r3oy Posted at 2017-7-13 19:05
I have tried creative's way. Was careful not to include Columbus airport or actual Ft. Benning boundaries. Did not include jails or any other NFZs. Included ID and inappropriate mapping in reason for authorization. What exactly do I need to give them to let me fly in this area. I have areas to fly elsewhere in Talbot and Harris counties, some closer to Benning than here

yikes, im sorry to hear about your situation. trust me i know the feeling. Basically you are going to have to open a dialogue with their staff that is handling your rquest, and really make them understand that FJI is incorrect, and that the NFZ is incorrectly covering the city.  i hate that its this hard.  I'd say if this doesnt work out, then you have one more option available to you.  

If you really want to know what that option is, PM me. and ill tell you all about it.
2017-7-17
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

Hey, it would be probably best to submit your unlock requests per my previous suggestion here:
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/individual-unlock

Then once they provide you the tracking numbers, you email the inbox and state your case. And yes drivers license is fine.
2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules