P4P Live Video stutters/Freezes While Flying (Always)
1826 20 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans04f05fdd
lvl.1
United States

Ok, first the details,  I'm using 4k, 60fps, on a sandisk micro sd writing at 80mb/s.
i'm using an ipad mini 2, which is on the list of "recomended" tablets. its new, with no other apps on it.
I have the stock p4p setup.

Hi, I have a p2p, and i've flown about 6 hours on it total now. Everytime i fly the live view stutters and freezes, and goes green sometimes. its not constant, but it is enough that i can't fly anywhere close to objects unless i can physically see the drone and the distance between said object from the ground. Sometimes its so bad i can't even fly it at all.
This has happened in every resolution down to 1080. no change... stutters and freezes, while the recording on the sd card is fine.
it seems worse now after the update i did on 6-10-17.
i NEED to fix this as i am an aerial photographer and have jobs lined up. Is there a fix? or do i have to send it back?
please help. Thank you to anyone with advice.

2017-6-10
Use props
BKKSingles
lvl.2
Thailand

Im having the exact same problems!
2017-6-10
Use props
JePe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 247769 ft
Netherlands

I have this with my Sony Z4 tablet also... irritating... I think it has something to do with the caching on the tablet, and.. the tablet not being able to and record the stream and showing it at the same time. My Phone (Samsung S6) has less of these 'hickups'. I think, if you don't use those smaller cached files, don't put on the cache video.
2017-6-10
Use props
BKKSingles
lvl.2
Thailand

I have cache video turned off but still the p4p is useless as i cant fly it as i cant see the video stream from the camera. As soon as I press record the video keeps freezing
2017-6-11
Use props
Drondolet
New
Flight distance : 51083 ft
Russia

I have the same problem. It solves only restarting controller (P4P+)

New firmware not increase freezing
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-11
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

First test flight after the last firmware update. Exactly the same problem, live feed is horible!
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

May be we need to refresh the firmware of the RC? Is there a way to downgrade and then upgrade again the firmware of the controller?
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

I have the same problem since the last firmware of some weeks ago the feed is very unreliable.... freezes, blackouts and green screens.

P4p, iphone 6 plus.

I tried all... caching on off, different SD, 2.4 ghz, 5.8 ghz all the same. Hopefully they will bring back to the status of 1 month ago... asap
2017-6-12
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 7.15.36 PM.jpg Other people talking about the bad live video feed after the update on other forums:
2017-6-12
Use props
Eric Oosterbeek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76847 ft
Netherlands

Same here too. I had my P4P unboxed 2 days ago and I kept getting the annoying notification a newer firmware is available, so I did install it.

Now the led on the controller is flashing fast red, green and yellow. According to the manual this means the HD downlink is disrupted what should explain the poor image quality.

I think I will rollback to the previous firmware version for I have some project to attend to. Customers don't like to wait.

I hope the tech guys from DJI are reading this too and will come up with a solution very fast.
2017-6-12
Use props
Eric Oosterbeek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76847 ft
Netherlands

RonHarper Posted at 2017-6-12 15:25
Other people talking about the bad live video feed after the update on other forums:

I gues they do. This is a big issue.
2017-6-12
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

I think it's safe to say that this fecal firmware is a huge step backward in so many ways. A poor live video feed is pretty much one of the worst things that DJI can implement in a previously working craft.

The 800lb gorilla in the room here is that pretty much the most basic testing and QA would have manifested these common issues now being brought up. The only explanation is that DJI really does almost no QA prior to releasing this cruddy coding which cripples craft and frustrates customers. Then they are left to deal with totally useless DJI customer service staff who appear to know nothing about the product to begin with and are not able to do anything anyway (which apparently is an "improvement" over the past).

Even worse is that this isn't the first time this type of experience has happened which is evidence that DJI doesn't even learn from its previous mistakes when it comes to this and simply repeats them, albeit at a worse scale. I see how some people like BladeStrike get defensive, because part of their job is to test this stuff before it comes out, and unleashing this toilet firmware in some senses makes him look bad (indirectly).

The funny thing about the outpouring of this diarrhea firmware is that features were lost, bugs introduced, and no one can point to a single "improvement" over the previous firmware. We are in for a long wait (seems to be 5-6 weeks) before this toilet bowl stain of a release gets even partly sanitized.
2017-6-12
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

Eric Oosterbeek Posted at 2017-6-12 15:37
Same here too. I had my P4P unboxed 2 days ago and I kept getting the annoying notification a newer firmware is available, so I did install it.

Now the led on the controller is flashing fast red, green and yellow. According to the manual this means the HD downlink is disrupted what should explain the poor image quality.

Please rebind (relink) your Remote Controller to your Aircraft and your led will become green again.
2017-6-12
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-6-12 19:09
Please rebind (relink) your Remote Controller to your Aircraft and your led will become green again.

But the live feed will still suck.
2017-6-12
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kykphantom Posted at 2017-6-12 19:09

On the assumption that the RC has also been updated to the RC firmware (1.4.1) to match the P4P firmware release (.602). I suspect it's flashing red/green because it hasn't been updated - if it just didn't have a connection it'd be solid red.

Otherwise, to clarify the above and to summarise some of it, the op's issue is the quality of the video link between the P4P and the controller. It has nothing to do with camera settings, nor the video cache (which is just allocated storage space on the tablet/phone for storing the 'live feed', which is also used by GO Editor for play-back on the device.

The green screen and other live video issues are the result of quality of feed, and possibly tablet/phone CPU performamce. I think the op discounted the last. I'd looking at GO's Image Transmission Settings to see what is reported. I'd encourage testing of other frequencies for the link - in built-up areas I tend to keep the craft close and use 5Ghz, whereas in areas of little interference such as open country I ensure it's set to 2.4Ghz (which has better signal distance).

Edit: And I acknowledge that many are reporting poorer video link with the latest firmware. I'm not experiencing that other than when I put a 120m high dam wall between me and it (which I did on the weekend) - and only then a few times... So my suggestions are basic fault-finding.
2017-6-12
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

RonHarper Posted at 2017-6-12 19:19
But the live feed will still suck.

Yes the live video feed is problematic. Flying at the same area at the same time where no signal problems are noticed before, after firmware upgrade, the live video on the device (iPhone 6s Plus in my case) is very bad.
2017-6-12
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I had the same problem last summer. Your iPad is overheating in the sun. Place the iPad in front of your car's air conditioner for a few minutes and it will cool down again. Temporary fix only though. DJI never tested its software on an iPad Mini 2 on a hot day in the sun or if they did they simply did not care that it becomes unusable. It seems that since then, newer versions of their app are even slower and there are reports of the same thing happening on an iPad Mini 4. I recommend either using an iPhone 7 Plus or an iPad Pro with a modified mount.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans04f05fdd
lvl.1
United States

I used an iPad pro, then reset it to default settings and now it won't work. No clue why... But I called and they said they didn't know what was happening but "the iPad pro is not our list of recommended devices, can you try another recommended device?"  I'm running 11.0.3 and it won't connect, if have heard why let me know please! Thanks.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules