Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where to fly in Western Australia?
841 3 2017-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zamboon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Posted this on the Australian regional forum but no feedback so thought that I would give it a bash here...........

I'll be visiting WA with my Mavic and hopefully goggles if they arrive in time, Bunbury is where I’ll be based but plan to travel.

My question is where are the best places to go?

I have got an ARN and CASA registration number online so I think that I have taken care of the formalities, it’s just a question of where to avoid and any recommendations.

Thanks and look forward to any input.  

2017-6-10
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.4
Australia

Hi Zamboon and welcome to WA. Well....when you get here, anyway. The south west of WA has some very nice coastal scenery. But it will depend on how much time you have and how far you want to drive. Within a 2 hour drive radius south of Bunbury you'll find heaps of beautiful coast to shoot, or if you go inland, some very nice bush and forests. If you can, head down to Dunsborough and then down Caves Road. From there take the roads to the coastal spots. You won't be disappointed. Inland will be a bit dry still, we haven't had any rain worth talking about. The further south you go though, the greener it will get.

If you have a lot of time and don't mind a lot of driving, head to Albany and check out the coast there. Pretty spectacular in places. And if you're a complete nutjob like me and will drive 8 hours (from Perth) just to get some good footage, head to Esperance. West of there is very nice, east of there can be breathtaking. If you go east of Esperance and want to get to the more remote beaches, you will need a good 4WD and sand driving experience. Some beaches can be treacherous. If you're on your own, advise friends where you're heading and when you should be back.

As far as CASA and ARN etc, I have never worried about it. I only fly well away from people and places that might be populated. That is very easy to do in WA. There are not a whole lot of controlled airports or aerodromes in rural WA so you shouldn't have any problems with NFZ's. The only things I really avoid are the microwave towers, mobile phone towers and the larger power lines. If I can see one, no matter how far away it is, I go somewhere else to fly.

Good luck and post your results here if you can. I would a lot more but our internet is so bad I can only post very small files to here or YouTube. NBN in October. Thank heavens for that.

If you need some more info, send me a message or reply to this and I'll do my best to give you a hand.
2017-6-11
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I was going to say anywhere because WA is huge
2017-6-11
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Many thanks Rusty, appreciate you passing on some background information. It is relevant and useful, at least I now sort of know what to expect. I will give you a shout if anything crops up that I need to check out.

Happy flying!
2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules