Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggles Things to Know
6784 11 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

I recently received my new DJI Goggles! I wanted to share my experiences with the new goggles. I have yet to actually fly any drones using the new goggles (although I have flown using FAT Shark Dominator goggles). I want a VO to assist me and a safe location to practice FPV flight (legally).
What I love is how the goggles are designed for the Mavic Pro and I beleive all functions work for the Phantom 4's. The head tracking is really cool and a great tool for video and photo shoots.

I used the DJI goggle HDMI to HDMI micro cable with an adaptor for HDMI mini port on the Inspire 1 Pro controller.
The goggle view and OSD is nice but that is the only function you get to use. FPV only. No head tracking functions.
Something very important to note about using the goggles plugged into the HDMI mini port of the Inspire 1 controller:
When the HDMI cable is plugged into the the Inspire 1 Pro controller the DJI GO app looses the live camera video feed and only shows the OSD and map.
So if the pilot flips up the goggles to use the app screen he needs to unplug or turn off the goggles to get the live video feed back to the iPad.
I don't believe that I will ever fly my Inspire 1 Pro "FPV" but with a camera operator it may be a useful tool.
I am also waiting for my new DJI Spark ("smart toy drone") to arrive. DJI has stated that the goggles will allow all functions (head tracking) for use with the Spark in future updates...
I can not use the goggles with my old Phantom 2 since there is not an HDMI port on the controller and no wireless connection. It can be plugged into a monitor HDMI port (like I use with Fat Shark goggles) and that monitor would need a video camera and transmitter onboard the UAV.
Just for the record, I am not a beginner pilot as my profile has elected to tag me. I have been flying over 4 years and own 7 UAV's.
I bought my first DJI drone (Phantom 2 Vision Plus) back in 2014.
In my opinion the Fat shark goggles will be a better choice for FPV use with the Phantom 2 and my F450 quad, F550 hex and 250 Storm racing drone.
The DJI goggles take a while to get used too. They are heavy and not something I would want to use for long periods.
I noticed that sunlight gets through the DJI goggles and face where the Fat Shark Dominator blocks all sunlight and are much much lighter. I have the Fat Shark head tracking installed as well.
For Mavic pilots, the DJI goggles are a must for the ultimate FPV experience. I hope the Spark and goggles will be as well.

2017-6-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go into your Image Transmission Settings page and turn on the simultaneous output to App and HDMI and you will be able to use the goggles and the iPad video feed at the same time

works fine with my DJI goggles
Rich
2017-6-11
Use props
Mark Rowan
lvl.1
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-11 16:47
Go into your Image Transmission Settings page and turn on the simultaneous output to App and HDMI and you will be able to use the goggles and the iPad video feed at the same time

Cool! Thanks Rich I try that.
2017-6-13
Use props
fansd9b3377b
New
Flight distance : 42835 ft
France

Hi Mark,

I Jump on your thread as "Things to Know seems to be the right place :

One thing to know : The Headband's frontal cap is extremely fragile and non-removable : just maintained by two very small screws hidden behind the foam.

I've received my goggles last week and i toke them in a backpack for this week-end session. Of course i had disassembled the two parts. My backpack contained only My Mavic combo's bag, the Goggles and some apparel (t-shirts) to fit the empty space and to protect them. The frontal cap just broke by pressure.

So to any Goggle owner : be very careful with the headband's frontal cap and consider finding a case to transport !

I've contacted DJI Support and waiting for an answer...  I really think this piece needs a design update to make it removable without tool or at least disassembleable (screwdriver).

2017-6-26
Use props
Beesleyboy 5
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I used my goggles for the first time last week and was devastated when my picture started braking up after two hundred meters, the Mavic is good for way more than that sort of dissents.
I wish the Mavic was connected with a cable to the goggles so it gets better range.
Plus I only have one eye and no mater how I try , I can't see the entire screen.
2017-8-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, so the gimbal doesn't track with head movements?, that's really disappointing, I don't care to control the craft with head tracking, but would love to move the gimbal with it. I thought I saw a video on youtube where there was head tracking on an I1, I must revisit, maybe t was an I2. Weird since the Litchi app allows head tracking with any craft with the simplest of controllers, a phone, One would expect DJI to allow such functionality
2017-10-20
Use props
Josh Wall
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1156270 ft
United States

Beesleyboy 5 Posted at 2017-8-26 08:25
I used my goggles for the first time last week and was devastated when my picture started braking up after two hundred meters, the Mavic is good for way more than that sort of dissents.
I wish the Mavic was connected with a cable to the goggles so it gets better range.
Plus I only have one eye and no mater how I try , I can't see the entire screen.

I have only one eye as well and have the same problem but the immersive effect of the goggles keep me using them regularly.
2018-1-13
Use props
djiuser_0WQdAtnKtX7o
lvl.1

United States

Hi Rich i cant find any help with my problem and was hoping you might be able to give me a hand. I fly inspire 1. I bought the RE goggles but i can't get them to work. First if i use the tablet everything is fine. But when i use the goggles i can see all data on the drone but have no video to fly FPV. Can you please help. Thanks
2019-2-17
Use props
djiuser_0WQdAtnKtX7o
lvl.1

United States

Hi Rich i cant find any help with my problem and was hoping you might be able to give me a hand. I fly inspire 1. I bought the RE goggles but i can't get them to work. First if i use the tablet everything is fine. But when i use the goggles i can see all data on the drone but have no video to fly FPV. Can you please help. Thanks
2019-2-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_0WQdAtnKtX7o Posted at 2-17 07:42

Hi
Well I had to get my Inspire 1 out of storage and get everything fired up. I connected my HDMI cable to the DJI SE goggles and put the DJI adaptor to reduce the plug size down to fit on my remote input jack.
At first it did not connect, but when I went into the goggle menu under HDMI I found that you need to select this to connect.  The goggles immediately saw the camera view with all the telemetry information perfectly. It worked great for me and played with the settings for awhile. BTW, once the goggles were connected, my iPad no longer had camera view  … just FYI  
So here are some screenshots … I hope this helps you.

Rich

Link to HDMI Adaptor

image1.jpg image2.jpg image4.jpg
2019-2-17
Use props
Simon Andrew Moore
New

South Africa

Go into your Image Transmission Settings page and turn on the simultaneous output to App and HDMI and you will be able to use the goggles and the iPad video feed at the same time

Hi Rich, does that mean you can broadcast to facebook live and use the goggles for fpv simultaneously?
2019-11-20
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Simon Andrew Moore Posted at 11-20 06:39
Hi Rich, does that mean you can broadcast to facebook live and use the goggles for fpv simultaneously?

Hi
wow this is a old thread
Sorry, I have never tried this personally, but you should be able to. HDMI functions separately from your DJI GO App...

Rich
2019-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules