Blade break off during flight
3519 22 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stephan dT
lvl.1
South Africa

I have a small 2mm crack on the trailing edge of one of the eight blades. I glued this with some clear nail polish which is working fine.
Now I am wondering what will happen if one loses say half a blade or even an entire blade during flight. Will the Mavic be able to survive this and fly home with only seven blades left?

Has anyone got actual experince of something like this? I understand that a parting blade can cause damage depending on how it comes off, but that is not the question here.

2017-6-11
Use props
jeffmossy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 798409 ft
United Kingdom

Dont even think of repairing the blade, replace it or all will end in tears
2017-6-11
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If a part of the blade breaks off the vibration will be intense and the Mavic will crash.
2017-6-11
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Replace do not repair it. If you repair it, you will be introducing weight on the propeller and making it unbalanced which as they said before will increase vibrations and posibbly deteriorate your drone.

I use as a rule of thumb that if there is more than one indentation bigger than 1mm in depth or length on the trailing edge or the leading edge to inmediatly change it, better be safe than sorry. I am not prepared to lose such an expensive device for a part that is so easily replaceable and cheap.
2017-6-11
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5LtTiuEYk  

Around the 8 minute mark they start cutting part of a blade off. It does really well!
2017-6-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There so cheap buy a set.
2017-6-11
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Some people should not own drones.
2017-6-11
Use props
gilly4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Sime hits the nail on the head.
2017-6-11
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Its nice to know a failure could be avoided, but its not worth the chance.

I inspect my props regularly.  Have never found anything that looks like the propeller has been compromised, but wouldn't think twice about changing out any prop that looked potentially compromised.....
2017-6-11
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WTF you glued the prop to repair and thought that's a good a idea,?

Have you read the manual what does it say about damaged props
2017-6-11
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

get ready to catch it, because it will go down. Nail polish?{:4_142:}
2017-6-11
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

I still find it funny on YouTube videos when people crash and they cry about prop damage. If only every crash just had prop damage………………
2017-6-11
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Props are $9. You bought a drone that is $1000.

Buy new props.

Don't fix them, that's just a wrong solution with a disaster waiting to happen.
2017-6-11
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-6-11 12:28
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5LtTiuEYk  

Around the 8 minute mark they start cutting part of a blade off. It does really well!

This is good experiment and shows OP has nothing to worry about if tiny end of prop damaged.
How come this forum so full of puritans lately?
2017-6-11
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

You are trying to save a few bucks in a $1000 drone? think about it and replace ASAP
2017-6-11
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Australia

Yes, unbalanced propellers, over time, will wear out the motor bearings. Just buy new blades and stop being fools.
2017-6-11
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-6-11 16:59
This is good experiment and shows OP has nothing to worry about if tiny end of prop damaged.
How come this forum so full of puritans lately?

Mostly because, if this prop decides to get cut 120m up in the air, and the drone goes down, it could murder somebody, or damage their property..
2017-6-11
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

What an incredible stupidity to risk an investment of 1.000 bucks for a spare part of some few bucks. Learn physics and think twice ........... "In the universe there are protons, neutrons and electrons ..............  and morons ! "
2017-6-11
Use props
dimgo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315958 ft
Germany

Holy.... replace it or you will damage the drone or someone else.
2017-6-11
Use props
Stephan dT
lvl.1
South Africa

Thanks Jeff7577, had a good giggle watching that link. So the Mavic will still fly with even half a blade missing. I agree with Bent Kangaroo it is good to know that.

Haha I see many scathing comments coming from beginner pilots that did not know the answer anyway. A bit sad as this forum is the perfect place to to create scenarios that may help us oneday when we run into trouble in the air. It would be nice to hear from pilots with a bit of real time actual practical experience.
2017-6-12
Use props
NickJa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

They don't cost alot ?! just buy a few spare pairs and enjoy! why risk a 1K bird with botch repairs...asking for trouble etc
2017-6-12
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Stephan dT Posted at 2017-6-12 10:07
Thanks Jeff7577, had a good giggle watching that link. So the Mavic will still fly with even half a blade missing. I agree with Bent Kangaroo it is good to know that.

Haha I see many scathing comments coming from beginner pilots that did not know the answer anyway. A bit sad as this forum is the perfect place to to create scenarios that may help us oneday when we run into trouble in the air. It would be nice to hear from pilots with a bit of real time actual practical experience.

While yes, the drone may still fly with half a blade missing, the end that will pop off can get launched at a very high speed. Pretty good chance it will either damage your drone (by hitting it) or, if you're flying low enough, actually pierce somebody's skull.. and i don't think you want THAT to happen?
2017-6-14
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stephan dT Posted at 2017-6-12 10:07

Coming from another beginner pilot, who tries to fix props by gluing them, instead of spending $10 to get new ones... I'm not sure I'll try to get on a high horse...

If you didn't include the part about fixing the props, which is completely stupid, and just asked people directly about what will happen if the props were damaged in flight and you're trying to bring the drone home, that would not have got people to respond with scathing comments.
2017-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules