Apple iOS iPad / iPhone and Samsung Tab S2
909 0 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vsc
lvl.1
United States

In the hope that the following helps others new to DJI the following discusses my findings with respect to using an iPad Mini (multiple versions) or iPhone 5S, as well as a Samsung Tab S2 with the DJI Go 4 and Phantom 4 Pro. This is not meant to offend Apple or Samsung fans.

Local ambient temperatures are in the range of 82F to 92F, which put a thermal challenge on devices connection to the DJI controller running the DJI Go 4 application. Specifically I found with the iPad Mini (2 through 4) that under the high work load of displaying video the iPad overheated causing the processor to throttle with breakup of the video (e.g. pixilation, tears and green bars). In fact I was able to reproduce this result on demand by heating the iPad with a hair dryer from an initial ambient temperature of 72F, where only a few minutes of directing the hair drying on the back of the tablet caused the video to corrupt. Subsequently I was able to reproduce the same problem with the iPhone 5S. Another person investigated this issue via open source materials (see thread below) citing the construction of the Apple devices, specifically noting a lack of a thermal conduction path between the processor and case. Additionally he showed how high processor loading caused the processor to throttle itself to reduce heat loading. Overall I came to the conclusion that only a few specific Apple iOS devices are suitable for ground station use, where the Mini and 5S are not...at least unless the ambient temperatures are lower.

Given I was unwilling to invest in another iPad given the unknowns of its construction (e.g. thermal conduction path) I decided to try a Samsung Tab S2. Using a loaner Tab S2 (SM-T710) I was able to demonstration zero issues. That said when I went out and purchased a Tab S2 I received the newer SM-T713 which uses a completely different internal chip set. Samsung silicon is used in the SM-T710, while the SM-T713 uses Qualcomm. In addition the version of Android is in flux where recently in the US version N was released. In general with Android devices variables are the hardware architecture and operating system including drivers, though the outside of the device might have the same name (e.g. Tab S2 is used for two very different devices).

With respect to the 2016 version of the Tab S2, SM-T713, I found that the controller would not link up to the tablet without manipulation of the the tablet, controller or both. In fact there are countless schemes documented on the Internet to work around this problem, where DJI support told me they are very well aware of this issue and have pushed Samsung to find an answer. That said I found one solution documented that works most of the time. Turn on the controller and tablet without the USB cable connected. In the settings debug menu set the USB mode to charging. Plug in USB. In the settings debug menu set the USB mode to RNDIS. If you have not set a default application a pop-up appears asking for the application to start associated with the controller. Select the application and if you plan to use third party apps as well, select just this time.

Notable is that the Samsung Tab S2 (SM-T710 and SM-T713) have not thermal issues where I am unable to cause any problem with heating the device to a temperature that is short of melting the case.

While I was forced to give up on Apple and purchase a Samsung tablet and there is the issue cited above, the Samsung Tab S2 is working well and has a good screen for outdoor use.

2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules