Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Obstacle Warning at 20M high - nothing around..
1442 20 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NickJa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Hi Folks,
Only had the mavic 2 days and out today testing settings and getting used to it, all is calibrated, and all was going well, until i got stopped at 20M above ground with "Obsticle warning"
see image for the height, it took me a couple of attempts but it kept stopping, I tried lower altertude but same result

in the end i changed direction and it seemed to fly back ok, i'm just glad i wasnt over water or this could have been a worry with battery near warning level!
just wondered if anyone has had similar ? (yes on latest firmware and at time of issue was well above bat warnings)

Thanks
Nick

High of obsticle warning

High of obsticle warning
2017-6-11
Use props
NickJa
lvl.4
France

it basically wouldn't come towards home, it kept putting brakes on etc, i had to turn it to the right and it didn't give warning and came back , any ideas on how I can fix this would be appreciated, as I don't want it breaking or even worse not getting back & battery goes out and it falls from the sky etc!
2017-6-11
Use props
NickJa
lvl.4
France

I just checked my flight record on the mobile with sticks showing and i swear I heard a loud beep on controller (but glare was high as sun behind me so presumed with the stop was ostacle?)  but on the flight record if I X2 to fast forward the point it happened i see it stop twice with full throttle on, but don't see any warning on the record screen = puzzled so any thoughts appreciated I can give anything I have on my recorded flight if needed. thanks & appreciate any thoughts on this please.
2017-6-11
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

Forward obstacle avoidance can often trigger falsely when heading towards sun when sun is lower on horizon. Only thing you can do is turn off OA or fly in different direction not toward sun.
2017-6-11
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Happened to me too a few times. Could be a bird too....
2017-6-11
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

fans79a9d393 Posted at 2017-6-11 16:28
Forward obstacle avoidance can often trigger falsely when heading towards sun when sun is lower on horizon. Only thing you can do is turn off OA or fly in different direction not toward sun.

or switching to sports mode (basically turning off OA)
2017-6-11
Use props
fans5f9a26cc
New
France

Yes this WE same problem at 50 meter or more of height over open country
2017-6-12
Use props
fans5f9a26cc
New
France

Yes this WE same problem at 50 meter or more of height over open country
2017-6-12
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

You often get this flying into direct sunlight so I usually just switch to sports mode until I change direction as this is the quickest way to turn off obstacle avoidance .
2017-6-12
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I mostly fly with OA turned off to avoid the sun from blocking my path.  It is a double-edged sword, recently I had the sun stop my Mavic while in difficult terrain.  In order to navigate around the sun (?) I had to fly a different route.  This nearly caused me to lose my drone with a crash!  So when I understood that this was caused by the sun, I now normally turn off OA so that I can avoid such an issue. But when you do this, you lose the feature completely, especially when you NEED it .  I would think DJI could fix this in a firmware update as I would think full sun/light exposure looks different to the sensors than the blocking of light that occurs when an obstacle is in your way...
2017-6-12
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I've had the same issue as fans79a9d393 described: Flying into the sun confuses the obstacle avoidance.
2017-6-12
Use props
NickJa
lvl.4
France

ah thanks everyone, got me a little worried and tbh thought i was going mad haha, shame we cannot add ND filters to the avoidance lenses i'll remember the sport mode in future to get it back but like a couple mentioned its on for a reason - what happens if it did this on RTH ? could I overide RTH to sports to ensure it got back ok if the sun was behind my home point I guess it would need sport or disable obstacle warning to return back, ok if in sight, not so good if out of sight and using map or video to navigate...
2017-6-12
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

So funnry: EXACTLY the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. I just could NOT bring the mavic back as it was stopping every meter due to obstacle, despite being only 20 meters away from me in a perfectly blue sky. And yes: the sun was exactly pointing at its forward sensors. SO I guess I should have just turned the mavic and flown backwards
2017-6-12
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-6-11 22:28
Happened to me too a few times. Could be a bird too....

Nope..... I've had it happen to me a few times now. But I've always noticed it's usually the sun.
2017-6-12
Use props
NickJa
lvl.4
France

floco Posted at 2017-6-12 09:29
So funnry: EXACTLY the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. I just could NOT bring the mavic back as it was stopping every meter due to obstacle, despite being only 20 meters away from me in a perfectly blue sky. And yes: the sun was exactly pointing at its forward sensors. SO I guess I should have just turned the mavic and flown backwards

which defeats the avoidance sensors safeguarding your craft they need to fix it, it should only trigger on obstacle really not sun glare.

I hear the phantom 4 Pro has them at all sides, does that mean that could be just stuck lol
2017-6-12
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

NickJa Posted at 2017-6-12 09:50
which defeats the avoidance sensors safeguarding your craft  they need to fix it, it should only trigger on obstacle really not sun glare.

I hear the phantom 4 Pro has them at all sides, does that mean that could be just stuck lol

That was funny
2017-6-12
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

Interesting. A few weeks ago I had some trouble with it stopping for "obstacles" when there was nothing anywhere near it. At the time I assumed that it might have something to do with the high power lines that were 200-300 yards away. But I was flying east in early morning, with the sun fairly low in the sky. So maybe that was the problem.
2017-6-12
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft
United States

How do we know trying some ND filters on the forward obstacle avoidance sensors might  help, has anybody heard of anybody trying it. If somebody has some old scratched up ones it's certainly be worth a good experiment to try it.
2017-6-12
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

NickJa Posted at 2017-6-12 08:54
ah thanks everyone, got me a little worried and tbh thought i was going mad haha, shame we cannot add ND filters to the avoidance lenses  i'll remember the sport mode in future to get it back but like a couple mentioned its on for a reason - what happens if it did this on RTH ? could I overide RTH to sports to ensure it got back ok if the sun was behind my home point I guess it would need sport or disable obstacle warning to return back, ok if in sight, not so good if out of sight and using map or video to navigate...

This is why it's a good idea not to rely on OA except in certain situations.
A scenario does exist as follows:
Aircraft flown out of RC transmitter range (could be due to extreme distance or because of terrain blockage, etc) RTH is then triggered automatically and craft turns to RTH heading.
Sun just happens to be in the wrong position, causing false OA trigger and craft ceases RTH progress.
Aircraft still out of RC range so unable to go into sport mode and disable OA.
Aircraft runs out of battery and lands wherever.
2017-6-12
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-6-12 16:45
Interesting. A few weeks ago I had some trouble with it stopping for "obstacles" when there was nothing anywhere near it. At the time I assumed that it might have something to do with the high power lines that were 200-300 yards away. But I was flying east in early morning, with the sun fairly low in the sky. So maybe that was the problem.

Be sure to disable RTH OA or it will come on even if you have OA turned off.

In this scenario it could be a problem:

Aircraft loses RC link due to extreme range, terrain blockage, etc.
RTH initiates and RTH OA is enabled.
Aircraft RTH heading happens to be pointed towards low sun and triggers OA, ceases RTH progress.
Unable to disable OA due to lack of radio link.
Aircraft basically is stranded in sky due to OA system and runs battery down, then lands whereever it happens to be.
Hopefully if this happened the aircraft would ascend to RTH height and then possibly restore RC link, but Murphys law can definitely apply here... beware.
2017-6-12
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

this scenario already happend a few times here. anyway, your ac will climb to rth height first anyway. so be sure it is set high enough at all times.
2017-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules