4193 87 4-22 14:36
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im going to agree that it appears the RC/MC is connecting to and thru the Goggles3 (meaning not direct connection from RC/MC to drone) but I still don't understand why there are separate RC and HD indicators in the Goggles display and why they appear to be reacting independently (meaning at times a weak or disconnected HD signal but RC seems ok or vice versa).
4-25 20:00
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100308 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

HD Pilot Posted at 4-25 18:30
That would be nice, but I believe ( so I've been told), has to do with the electronics built in the Avata 2. The MC 2 like the MC 3 are flown tunneled thru the goggles only. Does the FPV RC2 tunnel thru the googles?
Who are the reviewers that said that? I would be interested in seeing the review. The ones I've seen said the FPV RC2 would not be compatible, only the MC2.

As Dirty Bird said, both RCM2 and FPVRC2 pair directly to Avata and can control it without goggles being connected or even powered on. I can't remember for certain, but I think one of the reviewers who said FPVRC2 would be supported was Potato Jet.
4-26 05:34
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5242231 ft
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 4-26 05:34
As Dirty Bird said, both RCM2 and FPVRC2 pair directly to Avata and can control it without goggles being connected or even powered on. I can't remember for certain, but I think one of the reviewers who said FPVRC2 would be supported was Potato Jet.

I couldn't power on the AVATA 1 without connecting to the goggles 2 and phone due to remote ID. After the AVATA 1 was started, I could disconnect the goggles and fly with the FPV RC2.

The ones that said the FPV RC2 is not compatible with the AVATA 2 is Joshua Bardwell and Ian from MAD Tech.
4-26 06:02
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

HD Pilot Posted at 4-26 06:02
I couldn't power on the AVATA 1 without connecting to the goggles 2 and phone due to remote ID. After the AVATA 1 was started, I could disconnect the goggles and fly with the FPV RC2.

The ones that said the FPV RC2 is not compatible with the AVATA 2 is Joshua Bardwell and Ian from MAD Tech.

There was obviously plan to make Goggles 2/Integra + RCM2 compatible since before the release, considering they're shown in Quick Start Guide. That same guide doesn't show FPVRC2, but it doesn't show FPVRC3 either, so I think people are just kinda pulling conclusions from their behinds as usual with DJI

My bet would be you will be able to use RCM2 or FPVRC2 with Avata 2 when using Goggles 2/Integra, and RCM3 or FPVRC3 when using Goggles 3. Even thought I don't see any technical reason why RCM2 or FPVRC2 couldn't still bind directly to Avata 2 while it's bound to Goggles 3 (but it's definitely easy to understand that new controllers simply won't be able to pair directly to old goggles and they don't pair to aircraft so that combo is a no-go). It will also be interesting to see if when using old goggles you get O3 or O4 transmission...
4-26 06:34
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 4-26 06:34
There was obviously plan to make Goggles 2/Integra + RCM2 compatible since before the release, considering they're shown in Quick Start Guide. That same guide doesn't show FPVRC2, but it doesn't show FPVRC3 either, so I think people are just kinda pulling conclusions from their behinds as usual with DJI

My bet would be you will be able to use RCM2 or FPVRC2 with Avata 2 when using Goggles 2/Integra, and RCM3 or FPVRC3 when using Goggles 3. Even thought I don't see any technical reason why RCM2 or FPVRC2 couldn't still bind directly to Avata 2 while it's bound to Goggles 3 (but it's definitely easy to understand that new controllers simply won't be able to pair directly to old goggles and they don't pair to aircraft so that combo is a no-go). It will also be interesting to see if when using old goggles you get O3 or O4 transmission...

The believe  (from my understanding) is that the FPVRC3 binds and tunnels using Bluetooth, and the goggles transmit the signal. The "Duck" might be on to something with the frequency, that the FPVRC and MC are on the 2.4ghz band for the controller and telemetry and 5.8ghzis on the video, which could explain why the video signal could drop in the googles, but the goggles still show a strong signal on the RC. I've had that happen a few times flying the v2 and Goggles 2, but I could still fly the drone out of harms way. Where as I lost everything all at once on the Goggle 3 system with a full charge and within a reasonably close distance.
4-26 06:45
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-25 20:00
Im going to agree that it appears the RC/MC is connecting to and thru the Goggles3 (meaning not direct connection from RC/MC to drone) but I still don't understand why there are separate RC and HD indicators in the Goggles display and why they appear to be reacting independently (meaning at times a weak or disconnected HD signal but RC seems ok or vice versa).

Because the control & video links are separate transmissions within the overall Occusync data stream.  Video requires much more data than does the control/telemetry connection.  On the goggles they are just giving us separate indicators for each.

On other DJI drones you just get the basic connection indicator, but you have probably noticed the video starts to pixelate & drops out before the control/telemetry feed.  I have often pushed on in a range test well beyond the loss of the video feed.  I could tell the control link was still active because the telemetry & map location were still updating.  Eventually the link is totally lost but video is usually first to go.
4-26 06:54
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HD Pilot Posted at 4-25 11:55
Thank you. We will see.

You're welcome, HD Pilot. Happy weekend!
4-26 07:23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 4-26 06:45
The believe  (from my understanding) is that the FPVRC3 binds and tunnels using Bluetooth, and the goggles transmit the signal. The "Duck" might be on to something with the frequency, that the FPVRC and MC are on the 2.4ghz band for the controller and telemetry and 5.8ghzis on the video, which could explain why the video signal could drop in the googles, but the goggles still show a strong signal on the RC. I've had that happen a few times flying the v2 and Goggles 2, but I could still fly the drone out of harms way. Where as I lost everything all at once on the Goggle 3 system with a full charge and within a reasonably close distance.

"Where as I lost everything all at once on the Goggle 3 system with a full charge and within a reasonably close distance."

This is my concern, not being a technical person, this is what I was trying to say.  Seems to be a step backwards to me.  I dunno.

4-26 08:40
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-26 08:40
"Where as I lost everything all at once on the Goggle 3 system with a full charge and within a reasonably close distance."

This is my concern, not being a technical person, this is what I was trying to say.  Seems to be a step backwards to me.  I dunno.

I know. I returned the Avata 2, so I don't have the drone to try to recreate the fault, but, another You-tuber (Justin Bainbridge) mentioned a similar experience, but also cannot confirm a repeat situation. Time will tell if others have this problem.
4-26 08:51
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.3
Flight distance : 632428 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-26 06:54
Because the control & video links are separate transmissions within the overall Occusync data stream.  Video requires much more data than does the control/telemetry connection.  On the goggles they are just giving us separate indicators for each.

On other DJI drones you just get the basic connection indicator, but you have probably noticed the video starts to pixelate & drops out before the control/telemetry feed.  I have often pushed on in a range test well beyond the loss of the video feed.  I could tell the control link was still active because the telemetry & map location were still updating.  Eventually the link is totally lost but video is usually first to go.

Similar experience with the Avata2 and every other non-DJI UAS flown.  Strength and or quality of the  video drops usually sooner than rc connection.  

Link quality and strength are different elements.  The old analogy of a person speaking at a set volume (the signal strength). In a quiet room the quality is high.  In a noisy room the quality is lower.  That is, less of the words may be heard.

Nice having  the data for both on or OSD.  I make a point now to keep a "3rd eye" on the Mbs of data after a few sudden dramatic drops due to something.  

Assuming RTH engages when either of the signals drops?
4-26 13:20
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just an update. Justin Brainbridge has been having RTH issues that have been a bit eye opening, but what has me curious is the signal quality at the range he was testing! The AVATA 2 is just under 300' high, and under 1300' away! RC and HD are in the red at 4Mbps. The signal goes in and out while he is setting up the RTH issue demo.
4-27 14:50
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

And another one bites the dust after losing connection! The crash looks familiar to the end!

4-27 21:57
Use props
pvtsailor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 983196 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me.

I was flying my Avata 2 with the Motion Controller 3 at a castle in Italy. At a distance of about 200 meters, the signal broke off and the live view disappeared. The drone did not trigger an RTH, at least I did not hear any signal. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, I pressed the pause button and ran towards the drone. When I got close to it, the live image appeared. I could see that it had apparently continued flying after the signal was lost and crashed.
Unlike you, I was unable to recover the drone. It was in a prohibited zone, directly on the edge of a 200m deep, vertical abyss in the castle rock - absolute danger to life. Now I am hoping for a replacement from DJI.

4-28 02:34
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pvtsailor Posted at 4-28 02:34

I was flying my Avata 2 with the Motion Controller 3 at a castle in Italy. At a distance of about 200 meters, the signal broke off and the live view disappeared. The drone did not trigger an RTH, at least I did not hear any signal. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, I pressed the pause button and ran towards the drone. When I got close to it, the live image appeared. I could see that it had apparently continued flying after the signal was lost and crashed.

I see a trend here folks!

I hope DJI is reading these posts!

I returned mine last Monday after that run away and will wait to see if this gets resolved before buying another.

Since using DJI drones, I have never had this happen and have never crashed one unless I did something stupid that I was clearly at fault.
4-28 06:36
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

pvtsailor Posted at 4-28 02:34

I was flying my Avata 2 with the Motion Controller 3 at a castle in Italy. At a distance of about 200 meters, the signal broke off and the live view disappeared. The drone did not trigger an RTH, at least I did not hear any signal. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, I pressed the pause button and ran towards the drone. When I got close to it, the live image appeared. I could see that it had apparently continued flying after the signal was lost and crashed.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your unit. In this case, we highly recommend contacting our team at https://www.dji.com/support to start up a flyaway case. We need to gather some data from the said flight and perform data analysis to identify the main cause of the incident. Please sync your flight records on the app. The warranty can be applied depending on the data analysis conducted on the product. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.
4-28 19:35
Use props
pvtsailor
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-28 19:35
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your unit. In this case, we highly recommend contacting our team at https://www.dji.com/support to start up a flyaway case. We need to gather some data from the said flight and perform data analysis to identify the main cause of the incident. Please sync your flight records on the app. The warranty can be applied depending on the data analysis conducted on the product. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us.

Thx ..

I already did so. I already got my CAS No.

4-29 00:04
Use props
Andrey Shchepalin
lvl.1
United States

Hi All, the same thing happened to me on day 1 of receiving the drone. My drone was 285ft away and all of the sudden I lost the connection, black screen and aircraft was found on the ground.  I ran to find it and see whats going on and goggles re-connected to the drone mid way and I saw clear signal with camera pointing to neighbor's driveway. The drone was not recording the video but my neighbor said he saw the drone suddenly flying straight and eventually hitting the tree and falling down. Worth mentioning that I was only a few mins in the flight and everything Goggles, drone battery and RC3 have a full battery charge.
So here it goes, reached out to DJI and they told me to create "replacement" case which I did with the topic "Photo/Video Capturing or Image Transmission Issue - Image transmission screen black out" ... 7 days later, I am getting response today from DJI with the following "This case is non-warranty due to pilot error under normal mode. Please let us know if you would like your unit to be transferred to repair or shipped back as it does not qualify for replacement. "

First of all, nothing in the reponse about lost signal... streight to "pilot error, not a warranty case". I really hope all DJI admins here will help with my case #CAS-16400556-Z6N9Y8.

Again, this is my first drone and I am afraid to lose the drone somewhere esle while flying... then I ask whats the point of spending this much money when I am afraid to fly and DJI does not stand to their products...
5-1 16:23
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Andrey Shchepalin Posted at 5-1 16:23
Hi All, the same thing happened to me on day 1 of receiving the drone. My drone was 285ft away and all of the sudden I lost the connection, black screen and aircraft was found on the ground.  I ran to find it and see whats going on and goggles re-connected to the drone mid way and I saw clear signal with camera pointing to neighbor's driveway. The drone was not recording the video but my neighbor said he saw the drone suddenly flying straight and eventually hitting the tree and falling down. Worth mentioning that I was only a few mins in the flight and everything Goggles, drone battery and RC3 have a full battery charge.
So here it goes, reached out to DJI and they told me to create "replacement" case which I did with the topic "Photo/Video Capturing or Image Transmission Issue - Image transmission screen black out" ... 7 days later, I am getting response today from DJI with the following "This case is non-warranty due to pilot error under normal mode. Please let us know if you would like your unit to be transferred to repair or shipped back as it does not qualify for replacement. "

Andrey, I hope DJI will make it good. I would suggest reaching out to their support supervisor and report others have had similar issues.

Mine was not damaged, and I returned it. But in the years I have been flying drones, I can recount maybe 8 times I've crashed my DJI drones,  and these were due to my stupid mistakes. As for out of the box, with ALL updates, and to have the drone lose connection and dart at an incline to the ground, I knew this was not normal. Within a week after my incident I started finding others out on the web reporting similar issues, including weird RTH problems.
BTW, the Avata 1 is still a proven FPV Cinewoop, even with some of the issues, it's still a good drone, also, it's built like a tank!

Keep us posted please!.
5-1 18:14
Use props
GoodPilot
lvl.1
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 5-1 18:14
Andrey, I hope DJI will make it good. I would suggest reaching out to their support supervisor and report others have had similar issues.

Mine was not damaged, and I returned it. But in the years I have been flying drones, I can recount maybe 8 times I've crashed my DJI drones,  and these were due to my stupid mistakes. As for out of the box, with ALL updates, and to have the drone lose connection and dart at an incline to the ground, I knew this was not normal. Within a week after my incident I started finding others out on the web reporting similar issues, including weird RTH problems.

Thanks and will do! I got very frustrated yesterday not just with the reply on investigation but on the lack of details and understanding the customer(s). I am waiting for my call back since I could not reach to talk to anyone over chat or phone. DJI support is one of the biggest pains so far for me.

I was dreaming on flying and prior to purchasing Avata 2 , I did a lot of research, completed TRUST, virtual trainings... when drone arrived, I didn't rush to fly it, I completed its FAA registration, charged everything to 100%, updated FW to the latest, calibrated Goggles and did some beginner flying very carefully before turning it off and switching to normal mode. I was so excited to share it with my wife and my first flight I described above both my wife and I were shocked on what happened. So my wife said "piece of garbage"... I know its an issue DJI can fix and address most likely in the FW update, but that left bad taste for the first time pilot and now this whole lack of support situation with DJI makes customer experience so so much worse. The company might not have the best products (generally speaking) but their support and willingness to work with the customer and understand the problem one of the key elements.

I really appreciate your support and sharing these details that you have not had any issues with other DJI drones makes me feel better. I will keep this chat updated on my case progress.
5-2 04:48
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GoodPilot Posted at 5-2 04:48
Thanks and will do! I got very frustrated yesterday not just with the reply on investigation but on the lack of details and understanding the customer(s). I am waiting for my call back since I could not reach to talk to anyone over chat or phone. DJI support is one of the biggest pains so far for me.

I was dreaming on flying and prior to purchasing Avata 2 , I did a lot of research, completed TRUST, virtual trainings... when drone arrived, I didn't rush to fly it, I completed its FAA registration, charged everything to 100%, updated FW to the latest, calibrated Goggles and did some beginner flying very carefully before turning it off and switching to normal mode. I was so excited to share it with my wife and my first flight I described above both my wife and I were shocked on what happened. So my wife said "piece of garbage"... I know its an issue DJI can fix and address most likely in the FW update, but that left bad taste for the first time pilot and now this whole lack of support situation with DJI makes customer experience so so much worse. The company might not have the best products (generally speaking) but their support and willingness to work with the customer and understand the problem one of the key elements.

If you can get a return out of it, I would really consider the Avata 1. As for a 1st time Camera drone, the Mini 4 Pro is a fantastic drone, though, its a drone for taking photos or videos that are TOP quality and not really best for being a FPV , IMO
5-2 10:56
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.3
Flight distance : 632428 ft
United States

One reason I finally purchased a DJI platform was a newbie to FPV friend who commented,"why don't you buy a DJI and spend more time flying than crashing, repair, repeat....".   He is partially correct. DJI N & S modes are very forgiving.  But little concerned that reliance on the tech and more things to go wonky can be a not so good a thing.  Did not purchase any care plans.  Just like every other UAS platform, if good out of the box. Fly it, crash it, trash it.  

Only have been flying over my private property, with approval my neighbors over his orchard, and edges of county forestry property uphill from out lands. Flight zone ~3/4 square mile.  Have two areas at altitude (no obstructions) where for whatever reason the both rc and vtx signal strength drops like a rock.  One is a bit scary fast drop. 60mbs to single digit red video.  Not the UAS hardware.  Have repeated the events a few times trying to figure out how to get around the dead zone area.  Too low, the crowns of the trees cause some issues. Set max altitude to 300 meters relative launch pad.  Maybe 100 meters elevation relative to ground in the dead zones.  Could not fly over the zone.  Clueless why. Just guessing its signal interference.   The dead zone both line up between wireless internet/cell phone towers that are ~5 (east) and ~10 (south) miles apart.  Would be nice to know why to avoid similar situations if flying in unfamiliar skies.

Has anyone else might of experienced RF interference?  
5-2 11:53
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

pvtsailor Posted at 4-29 00:04
Thx ..

I already did so. I already got my CAS No.

No worries. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
5-2 20:06
Use props
GoodPilot
lvl.1
United States

Update from me: I had a requested call back with warranty department to explained them that this issue with other people, even send them this thread... DJI still did not admit the issue but agreed to proceed with the replacement under the warranty. Took me a lot of stress and time reaching out to DJI.
I will update on the new drone (hopefully not going to have this issue) but going to be very anxious flying it.
5-3 11:05
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 4-27 21:57
And another one bites the dust after losing connection! The crash looks familiar to the end!

I speculate what happened was this:  As mentioned earlier in the thread, the video signal usually goes before the control signal.  Flying in manual he lost video, which means he had no way of seeing how to maintain flight control of the bird.  As the RC was likely still connected, RTH was not immediately triggered.  Flying in Manual Mode, there was no self-leveling or altitude hold.  The combination lead to the dive into the forest.  Again this is speculation.  A review of the actual flight log would be required for confirmation.
5-3 11:42
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GoodPilot Posted at 5-3 11:05
Update from me: I had a requested call back with warranty department to explained them that this issue with other people, even send them this thread... DJI still did not admit the issue but agreed to proceed with the replacement under the warranty. Took me a lot of stress and time reaching out to DJI.
I will update on the new drone (hopefully not going to have this issue) but going to be very anxious flying it.
Don't try anything fancy,  just get use to it in Normal mode and you will do fine. Sport mode is just a faster speed than Normal mode but still has GPS and stabilization.  You will need to hone your reaction time when flying in Sport mode.
5-3 12:49
Use props
GoodPilot
lvl.1
United States

HD Pilot Posted at 5-3 12:49
Don't try anything fancy,  just get use to it in Normal mode and you will do fine. Sport mode is just a faster speed than Normal mode but still has GPS and stabilization.  You will need to hone your reaction time when flying in Sport mode.

Thanks a lot and will do! I got replacement drone last night and will be finishing up getting it ready today for the flight. I will also pick up without interference or other people to make sure the flight is safe
5-8 04:32
Use props
pvtsailor
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Update of my case:
After evaluating my flight data, the technicians are apparently of the opinion that I flew my drone into the rock. The data apparently contains no evidence of the sudden connection loss I described. This is only visible in the recordings of the last 30 seconds in the goggles.

However, since these recordings cannot be saved, I am now getting a label from DJI Support to make the goggles available to the technicians.

As a reminder:
My connection suddenly lost and the drone apparently continued to fly after the connection was lost without initiating the RTH and without me having the opportunity to control it.

For me it's definitely a case for the guarantee. I will report ..
5-8 05:45
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pvtsailor Posted at 5-8 05:45
Update of my case:
After evaluating my flight data, the technicians are apparently of the opinion that I flew my drone into the rock. The data apparently contains no evidence of the sudden connection loss I described. This is only visible in the recordings of the last 30 seconds in the goggles.

Good luck. I understand, that is what happened to me. and what I'm told and reported.. others are saying we flew them into the trees or rocks because the FPV Controller 3 is still flying the drone after the goggles video drops, so you crashed it. Where I say, nope both HD and RC signals were blank and I released my controls since I had no idea what happened and was hoping RTH would kick in.  The rest is history.
I just think (IMO since I'm not an electrical engineer) it's an issue with the goggles and the signal quality or an issue with the goggle hardware.
5-8 05:54
Use props
pvtsailor
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Update:
I'm a complete idiot.
I already had the return label from DJI and briefly checked the goggles before they were shipped. Then I realized that I had apparently overwritten the last 30 seconds of recording.

A few days earlier I had flown with my Mini 4 Pro with the goggles and had absolutely no idea that the 30 seconds were constantly being overwritten. Somehow I had it in the back of my mind that the recording would only record the last few seconds before a connection was lost and would not delete them until the next connection was lost.

Crap - now I probably won't be able to prove that the connection was completely lost. However, DJI's response is still pending.

It's a real shame because for me it was a clear error in the Avata 2 system and I couldn't have avoided the crash.
5-12 22:48
Use props
user82c6a944d3
lvl.2

Spain

Unfortunately I have scratched the lens of my drone due to a small mistake of mine,
I have care refresh, and I would like to know how much it costs to replace the camera glass, I use it for work.
The rest I am delighted with the drone, it flies really well for the size it has.
Could someone tell me how much this repair could be?
Avatar 2 does not appear in the repair list.
It's just a small scratch on the lens

Thx
5-13 00:43
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

user82c6a944d3 Posted at 5-13 00:43
Unfortunately I have scratched the lens of my drone due to a small mistake of mine,
I have care refresh, and I would like to know how much it costs to replace the camera glass, I use it for work.
The rest I am delighted with the drone, it flies really well for the size it has.

Is it affecting the image quality?  Many times a scratch has no impact on the recorded video or image.
5-13 02:23
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

user82c6a944d3 Posted at 5-13 00:43

They would probably replace entire camera module which would more than likely be more expensive than the Care replacement. But you can send it in to DJI for regular service for a quote and if it's too expensive you can still ask to use your Care replacement.
5-13 02:32
Use props
user82c6a944d3
lvl.2

Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-13 02:23
Is it affecting the image quality?  Many times a scratch has no impact on the recorded video or image.

It is very little noticeable, but it is a drone that I use for work and they are very attentive to the image quality
5-13 05:44
Use props
user82c6a944d3
lvl.2

Spain

fichek Posted at 5-13 02:32
They would probably replace entire camera module which would more than likely be more expensive than the Care replacement. But you can send it in to DJI for regular service for a quote and if it's too expensive you can still ask to use your Care replacement.

The only thing I don't want is for them to give me a new drone with updated firmware 02, the difference between using it in the EU with FCC is very big, and thanks to the "hack" I have been able to take some shots in companies without losing signal
5-13 05:47
Use props
Kain_niaK
lvl.1

Japan

I have had some 200 flight with the avata 2 now, and as I am an fpv beginner I have slowly searched for the limits of distance and penetration. I fly from inside the house laying on bed, from the car, from our balcony and at sport fields.

Today after 200 flights I finally found the first limit. I was flying from my balcony in the middle of a small town, balcony is maybe 4 meters of the ground. There is a thin metal roof above me and multiple trees around.

Today I was about 1200 meters far at a 100 meters when I decided to descend slowly and see what the signal would do. I have done this before but  every single time I have done this (slowly descend behind objects to see what the video signal does) what happens is first the bandwith drops from 60 mbit all the way to 1 mbit, but what I actually see does not start degrating till like under 6 mbit or so. I have multiple momens where bitrate was 1 mbit for 5 or 10 seconds without losing video signal. I would usually make sure that I could always fly straigth up.

But today this happened. Have a look at the video

youtu.be/uUDSY4Sdtv4

I went from 100 meters to about 60 meters, descending at about 10 km/h when even thought the RC and HD showed full bars, suddenly my video feed froze for almost 7 seconds. I immediately went full sticks up and around a 100 meters the video signal was back. The drone never lost control signal but video was gone for 7 seconds. After, there was another small hickup where the video froze for maybe 1 second.

All of this is ofcourse normal behavior. I was more then a 1000 meters away and at 60 meters the signal would have to travel through a significant amount of objects in the way.

Still I am very happy that, the RTH did not kick in and that I did not lose control. I gave it upstick, and I could tell from the altitude on screen that it was going up.

That being said at low battery I find that the RTH kicks in a bit to aggresive, if you are hovering somewhere, even if you are very close by home and the RTH kicks in and you don't cancel it on time there is a hig change it will go straight up and hit something.

So far I have not let RTH play out at all as I find it a bit risky, but as I continue searching for the limit the moment will come where I will lose both video and control and then the RTH will hopefull safe me.

I wish there was a setting for RTH this like this.

"If distance from home is under X then no return to home above 15%  battery"

Because often I make sure to be home around 30% and then I like to hover a bit and fly close by till about 20% after which I land. But that RTH keeps kicking in even though I don't want that.

Of course, if there is not enough battery power left to make it home, it's good that the RTH will overrule the wish of the pilot, but that's why the setting should be based on a set distance, like 50 meters. THat way while practically being home the RTH won't kick in so aggressive at the end of your flight.

5-13 07:36
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

user82c6a944d3 Posted at 5-13 05:47
The only thing I don't want is for them to give me a new drone with updated firmware 02, the difference between using it in the EU with FCC is very big, and thanks to the "hack" I have been able to take some shots in companies without losing signal

Seems like the only thing fw update really broke was being able to select channels manually with the ham file (which you should probably never do anyway unless you have a very specific setup where you need to never be on specific frequency range due to other equipment on set, but auto would probably handle that fine too).
5-13 09:22
Use props
user82c6a944d3
lvl.2

Spain

fichek Posted at 5-13 09:22
Seems like the only thing fw update really broke was being able to select channels manually with the ham file (which you should probably never do anyway unless you have a very specific setup where you need to never be on specific frequency range due to other equipment on set, but auto would probably handle that fine too).

If it's just that, I don't care whether I choose the channels or not, the 1600mw of power is what is important and having all the power in the motors.

thanks
5-13 10:17
Use props
Kain_niaK
lvl.1

Philippines

fichek Posted at 5-13 09:22
Seems like the only thing fw update really broke was being able to select channels manually with the ham file (which you should probably never do anyway unless you have a very specific setup where you need to never be on specific frequency range due to other equipment on set, but auto would probably handle that fine too).

Very important for me to be able to stick the goggles in 2.4 ghz and select bandwidth 10 Mhz and a channel. With that option I can somewhat fly at our RC club with our analog pilots even when having my goggles close to their goggles. But in auto I blast them and I would have to be 5 to 10 meters away, and then how can I communicate while we are flying together?
5-13 22:27
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

user82c6a944d3 Posted at 5-13 10:17
If it's just that, I don't care whether I choose the channels or not, the 1600mw of power is what is important and having all the power in the motors.

thanks

You do still get both of those with HAM file on the latest fw. You just don't get manual channel selection if you aren't already in FCC mode. (Which is why we all initially thought it was fixed, but upon further testing it's not.)
5-14 00:26
Use props
Parksnrec84
lvl.1
Flight distance : 720587 ft
United States

I have also had some signal loss with mine, similar situations- same places that I have previously had zero issues with the original avata and even the FPV drone from DJI. I recognized the issues and came closer immediately without losing the signal completely, but it is alarming because I am not even a quarter mile away when I am experiencing this issue with both the RC and the HD signal. Orange and red boarder flashing in the goggles... I hope there is a firmware update to fix this issue. Though, it is not happening with everyone I watch on YouTube- so I don't know If I just got a faulty setup or what?
5-19 21:17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules