o(^-^)o
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 4-30 23:02
All antiquity is pure gold to me mate - I'm a big history buff

Yes, you're right about items of antiquity.  In the past we have found two cannons and multiple cannonballs.  We even found an anchor dating back to the late 1700s.  So there is still a lot of items to be found on the ocean floor or just buried a bit.  Just another reason I love to scuba dive.  I did cave diving once and that was the only time I'll do that.  Too risky for my likes.
5-1 03:04
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14588274 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-1 00:44
I'm sure I will. It's way too much fun to leave.

Just very busy at work atm.

Thats very true - even a three-year absence was only a break as here I am
5-1 04:31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-1 04:31
Thats very true - even a three-year absence was only a break as here I am

Yeah, for a long time I though you just left the building.
Any specific reason?
5-1 04:32
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-1 03:04
Yes, you're right about items of antiquity.  In the past we have found two cannons and multiple cannonballs.  We even found an anchor dating back to the late 1700s.  So there is still a lot of items to be found on the ocean floor or just buried a bit.  Just another reason I love to scuba dive.  I did cave diving once and that was the only time I'll do that.  Too risky for my likes.

I recall watching a documentary and that there is a Spanish galleon laced with treasures that is yet to be discovered in the carribean. It's estimated that the value on board is hundreds of millions! Imagine finding that!  
5-1 04:34
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-1 04:32
Yeah, for a long time I though you just left the building.
Any specific reason?

Two reasons really Peter.

1. The regulations back then were getting ridiculous (remember the Gatwick fiasco) and I felt uncomfortable flying and 2. I simply found myself upgrading my drone every time a new release came out which in hindsight was more to do with the fact I simply became bored with it all after 4+ intense years flying.  
Put the two together and it all just filtered away and I moved on. I still watched the hobby from arms length but I never thought I really want 'that drone' when a new one came out.
Everything since the Mini 2 just passed by. I remember seeing a video on YT about the Avata 1 and that looked really cool until I heard how loud it was so left that too.
Then the Avata 2 came out last month and through my research of the drone it ticked all of my boxes so I pulled the trigger and have no regrets - the single most fun I have ever had flying a drone. But I'm pacing myself these days and wouldn't care if an Avata 3 released tomorrow - this is the drone I chose and all I need and the fact I can legally fly it in recreational parks under article 16 in the UK makes it even better.  
5-1 04:45
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-1 04:45
Two reasons really Peter.

1. The regulations back then were getting ridiculous (remember the Gatwick fiasco) and I felt uncomfortable flying and 2. I simply found myself upgrading my drone every time a new release came out which in hindsight was more to do with the fact I simply became bored with it all after 4+ intense years flying.  

I completely understand.
Flying has gone down my ladder the last 4 years.
I don't want to fly FPV because I need a spotter (which makes it even less spontaneous for me), but that seems like the most fun way to fly.
For me the drone is a mediocre camera that can do things I don't want to do with my handheld cameras.
So whenever I feel there is something interesting to capture, I will charge my batteries and take the drone out, but that is not happening very often these days.
The Pocket 2 gets more use, as I can just grab it and use it.
5-1 05:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-1 05:36
I completely understand.
Flying has gone down my ladder the last 4 years.
I don't want to fly FPV because I need a spotter (which makes it even less spontaneous for me), but that seems like the most fun way to fly.

It's all about convenience and how practicle a product is in daily use. I no longer fly to capture beautiful sunsets etc - the camera is lower down my list these days. Whilst still important the fun of flying takes prescendent for me at the moment - thats what makes me charge the batteries, get in the car and go somewhere. If I can capture so awesome footage then thats merely a b onus.
5-1 05:59
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-1 05:59
It's all about convenience and how practcile a product is in daily use. I no longer fly to capture beautiful sunsets etc - the camera is lower down my list these days. Whilst still important the fun of flying takes prescendent for me at the moment - thats what makes me charge the batteries, get in the car and go somewhere. If I can capture so awesome footage then thats merely a b onus.

I feel with FPV it would be the same for me.
The Mini 3 Pro is all about the footage for me. Not so much about the flying.

5-1 06:07
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-1 06:07
I feel with FPV it would be the same for me.
The Mini 3 Pro is all about the footage for me. Not so much about the flying.

We all have different motives mate
5-1 06:31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-1 06:31
We all have different motives mate

Yeah, all good for sure.
5-1 07:56
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 04:34
I recall watching a documentary and that there is a Spanish galleon laced with treasures that is yet to be discovered in the carribean. It's estimated that the value on board is hundreds of millions! Imagine finding that!

There was a fleet of Spanish Galleons loaded with gold and other treasures coming out of South America that ran into a storm and several were lost in the Caribbean and 3 or 4 more along the coast of eastern coast of Florida. Great article here if you are interested in more information on it.

https://atocha.com/index.php?rou ... p;information_id=13

5-1 08:34
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-1 08:34
There was a fleet of Spanish Galleons loaded with gold and other treasures coming out of South America that ran into a storm and several were lost in the Caribbean and 3 or 4 more along the coast of eastern coast of Florida. Great article here if you are interested in more information on it.

https://atocha.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13

I bet King Philip IV of Spain had a few sleeplness nights after that news got back to him. Imagine losing that many treasures in a hurricane. Enough to seriously indent the economy of an empire.
5-1 13:24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-1 13:24
I bet King Philip IV of Spain had a few sleeplness nights after that news got back to him. Imagine losing that many treasures in a hurricane. Enough to seriously indent the economy of an empire.

No doubt he did and I'm betting a few people lost their heads over that unfortunate event.  Every once in a while an old Spanish coin will wash up on the beach following a storm so there is still treasure out there.  
5-2 02:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 02:30
No doubt he did and I'm betting a few people lost their heads over that unfortunate event.  Every once in a while an old Spanish coin will wash up on the beach following a storm so there is still treasure out there.

Spanish inquisition in all it's glory for sure mate lol
5-2 12:59
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-2 12:59
Spanish inquisition in all it's glory for sure mate lol

Indeed.  I used to comb the beaches first thing in the morning with my metal detector but I got tired of finding all the beer caps, pop caps and foil wrappers.  Much more fun to dive for treasure.  
5-2 13:49
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 13:49
Indeed.  I used to comb the beaches first thing in the morning with my metal detector but I got tired of finding all the beer caps, pop caps and foil wrappers.  Much more fun to dive for treasure.

Do you scuba dive quite often Rich?
5-3 00:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 00:44
Do you scuba dive quite often Rich?

2- 3 times a week.  It's been my passion for many years now.  
5-3 06:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-3 06:42
2- 3 times a week.  It's been my passion for many years now.

I got my padi cert in Thailand back in 2000 and was nearly attacked by a conger eel off of Koh Tao lol - magical experience though
5-3 06:43
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 06:43
I got my padi cert in Thailand back in 2000 and was nearly attacked by a conger eel off of Koh Tao lol - magical experience though

I've only seen eels when diving in Hawaii.  Here in either Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean I mostly see manta rays and various types of sharks.  The nosiest and a bit aggressive ones are the bull nose sharks. Similar to these.
BS.jpg
BS2.jpg
5-3 06:59
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-3 06:59
I've only seen eels when diving in Hawaii.  Here in either Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean I mostly see manta rays and various types of sharks.  The nosiest and a bit aggressive ones are the bull nose sharks. Similar to these.

One of my friends swam with reef sharks off Fiji in the south pacific (beautiful country BTW) - I declined the opportinuty at the time lol I absolutely love sharks - they are so misunderstood.
5-3 07:11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 07:11
One of my friends swam with reef sharks off Fiji in the south pacific (beautiful country BTW) - I declined the opportinuty at the time lol I absolutely love sharks - they are so misunderstood.

In my personal experience they tend to be more inquisitive than aggressive.  I've had many come circle me once or twice and just swim off.  On occasion I'll have a shark swim right at me with his teeth showing so I usually give them a good bonk on the nose with the handle of my long knife.  If they continue the aggressive behavior and come at me again and again then they get the spear into them and my knife through one of their eyes.  That tends to stop them every time.  Unfortunately, you have to beat a hasty retreat as many sharks will come shortly and devour the dead one.  I hate to kill them and will only do that when it's me or them.  
5-3 11:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-3 11:18
In my personal experience they tend to be more inquisitive than aggressive.  I've had many come circle me once or twice and just swim off.  On occasion I'll have a shark swim right at me with his teeth showing so I usually give them a good bonk on the nose with the handle of my long knife.  If they continue the aggressive behavior and come at me again and again then they get the spear into them and my knife through one of their eyes.  That tends to stop them every time.  Unfortunately, you have to beat a hasty retreat as many sharks will come shortly and devour the dead one.  I hate to kill them and will only do that when it's me or them.

Self defence mate - has to be done. That said - WOW!!!! LOL I would literally s... my pants. hahahaha
5-3 12:13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-3 12:13
Self defence mate - has to be done. That said - WOW!!!! LOL I would literally s... my pants. hahahaha

It can get dangerous in a hurry but again most of the sharks I see are just being inquisitive.  I think I'm much safer than the surfers paddling on the surface.  When you look up at them and they are paddling they resemble a frog from below.  No wonder there are more and more shark attacks on surfers recently.  
5-4 12:52
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 12:52
It can get dangerous in a hurry but again most of the sharks I see are just being inquisitive.  I think I'm much safer than the surfers paddling on the surface.  When you look up at them and they are paddling they resemble a frog from below.  No wonder there are more and more shark attacks on surfers recently.

Aparently the great white perceives the surf boards and splashing as seals. Or have I watched too many jaws movies lol
5-4 12:57
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-4 12:57
Aparently the great white perceives the surf boards and splashing as seals. Or have I watched too many jaws movies lol

No,  you are spot on.  It is the splashing of the hands and feet that attract the sharks.  People can't believe how big shark teeth can get.  I've found several hands full on the bottom and brought them back up from some of my dives.  I gave a bunch to a local in Hawaii and she made them into some kind of spiritual necklace.  
5-4 13:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 13:36
No,  you are spot on.  It is the splashing of the hands and feet that attract the sharks.  People can't believe how big shark teeth can get.  I've found several hands full on the bottom and brought them back up from some of my dives.  I gave a bunch to a local in Hawaii and she made them into some kind of spiritual necklace.

Cool - I knew there was a reason I never surfed lol
Have you seen a megalodon tooth - holy smokes! Imagine being bit but that!  
5-4 13:48
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-4 13:48
Cool - I knew there was a reason I never surfed lol
Have you seen a megalodon tooth - holy smokes! Imagine being bit but that!

I've never seen one in person but I'd love to find one of those for sure.  
5-4 14:55
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-4 14:55
I've never seen one in person but I'd love to find one of those for sure.

There was one on display in a museum on London - it was about 6" long!
5-5 01:14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 01:14
There was one on display in a museum on London - it was about 6" long!

Yeah, that's really big.  On average, modern day sharks have between 50 and 300 teeth.   A couple of websites indicate a megalodon head around 276 teeth.  I'm glad they are extinct and I never have to encounter one of them.   

I guess if I wanted a real risk I could dive for the Loch Ness monster in Scotland.  
5-5 06:05
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 06:05
Yeah, that's really big.  On average, modern day sharks have between 50 and 300 teeth.   A couple of websites indicate a megalodon head around 276 teeth.  I'm glad they are extinct and I never have to encounter one of them.   

I guess if I wanted a real risk I could dive for the Loch Ness monster in Scotland.

It will be a long dive lol

As for the sharks - its the pressure of the bite force that is most frightening - 40,000 pounds per square inch from the megalodon. The most powerful bite of any creature that has ever lived. It would be able to  bite through steel  
5-5 06:37
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 06:37
It will be a long dive lol

As for the sharks - its the pressure of the bite force that is most frightening - 40,000 pounds per square inch from the megalodon. The most powerful bite of any creature that has ever lived. It would be able to  bite through steel

It's incredible to even think that something was that powerful.  I could be out on my jetski flying along and then swallowed up whole by a meglodon.  
5-5 07:16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 07:16
It's incredible to even think that something was that powerful.  I could be out on my jetski flying along and then swallowed up whole by a meglodon.

And bite your jetski in half! 60 feet long. Imagine - they ate whales!
5-5 09:30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-5 09:30
And bite your jetski in half! 60 feet long. Imagine - they ate whales!

Right.  Either bite my jetski in half or because of his size he could just swallow me and the jetski easily.  They say the early Vikings were the most experienced sailors and I'm sure they never wanted to encounter a Megalodon either.  When I look at some of the small boats that they crossed the Atlantic Ocean in I'm just in awe that they made it.  
5-5 09:43
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-5 09:43
Right.  Either bite my jetski in half or because of his size he could just swallow me and the jetski easily.  They say the early Vikings were the most experienced sailors and I'm sure they never wanted to encounter a Megalodon either.  When I look at some of the small boats that they crossed the Atlantic Ocean in I'm just in awe that they made it.

Remarkable when you consider how many centries ago they conquered England (millennia even). Just getting here was a feat.
5-8 13:10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 13:10
Remarkable when you consider how many centries ago they conquered England (millennia even). Just getting here was a feat.

Seems the vikings lacked fear.  I've transited from the USA to Europe over 6 times on various navy ships and I can tell you a couple of times it was a real adventure.  One crossing was winter time and the swells were 55-60 meters tall.  We were on a surface ship and the bow kept dipping under the crest of the swells.  We should have been eligible for submarine pay.    The worse weather I ever saw was up in the North Atlantic as we transited east just above Scotland.  All but about 100 of the 3,500 people onboard got seasick, including the Captain.  No way would I ever try to take my 75 footer across the Atlantic.  I had considered getting a life of opportunity and then motoring around ports in Europe but because of the time involved I just opted to fly instead.  
5-8 13:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 13:40
Seems the vikings lacked fear.  I've transited from the USA to Europe over 6 times on various navy ships and I can tell you a couple of times it was a real adventure.  One crossing was winter time and the swells were 55-60 meters tall.  We were on a surface ship and the bow kept dipping under the crest of the swells.  We should have been eligible for submarine pay.    The worse weather I ever saw was up in the North Atlantic as we transited east just above Scotland.  All but about 100 of the 3,500 people onboard got seasick, including the Captain.  No way would I ever try to take my 75 footer across the Atlantic.  I had considered getting a life of opportunity and then motoring around ports in Europe but because of the time involved I just opted to fly instead.

So you're not coming to meet me on the Thames then? hahahaha
60m swell - that is INSANE!
I take it you were in the US navy? How long did you serve if you don't mind me asking Rich? Massive repsect to you Sir.
5-8 14:03
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 14:03
So you're not coming to meet me on the Thames then?  hahahaha
60m swell - that is INSANE!
I take it you were in the US navy? How long did you serve if you don't mind me asking Rich? Massive repsect to you Sir.

Counting my reserve time while in Law school I finished up with 30 years.  Looking back I probably should have retired at 20 years but I was having way too much fun getting so much free travel that I just hung in there.  I had some really great duty stations over the years that really kept me motivated.  
5-8 14:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 14:18
Counting my reserve time while in Law school I finished up with 30 years.  Looking back I probably should have retired at 20 years but I was having way too much fun getting so much free travel that I just hung in there.  I had some really great duty stations over the years that really kept me motivated.

30 years service! Thats impressive. So are you a trained lawyer too?
My brother-in-law is the senior vice president of legal affairs for the NBA!
5-8 14:35
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 14:35
30 years service! Thats impressive. So are you a trained lawyer too?
My brother-in-law is the senior vice president of legal affairs for the NBA!

Yes, Navy JAG Corps.  I specialized in International and Maritime Laws following Navy retirement and got fed up with the corporate culture so I decided it was time to retire and just enjoy life stress free.   
5-9 02:40
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 02:40
Yes, Navy JAG Corps.  I specialized in International and Maritime Laws following Navy retirement and got fed up with the corporate culture so I decided it was time to retire and just enjoy life stress free.

Now I understand how you bought a yacht lol Wow - what a great career you have had.
5-9 05:51
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules