5280 46 2023-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1467937e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40751 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello all, i have recently purchased on amazon the new osmo action 4 for use it on my motorcycle road trips.

Sunday I was out for testing it, and I found that the camera produced a lot of bad reflection when pointed in direction of the sun.

I came from an old gopro hero 8 and never had this problem, also my other action cam don't handle like the osmo action 4 on same condition.

I was wondering if someone else have the same problem on his unit

Here some photos of the problem,

osmo action 4

osmo action 4

osmo action 4

osmo action 4

and here the gopro 8

gopro hero 8

gopro hero 8

Im debatinig if returning the camera to amazon, because is a bad unit.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

2023-9-11
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I have experienced the same kind of long trumpet kind of flares but with articifial lights at night. Their length can be quite disturbing.
2023-9-11
Use props
fans1467937e
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Yaman-Python Posted at 9-11 20:04
I have experienced the same kind of long trumpet kind of flares but with articifial lights at night. Their length can be quite disturbing.

Thank you for feedback.
Still not tested on night, but on the sunny day it's a very annoyng effect.

On other hand, the camera perform on  same bad way on front sunny and not only when the sun came from some angle.

Very undecide if demand the refund
2023-9-11
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed this effect on mine. You’ve reminded me…… I meant to try it with no glass cover on the front to see whether the cover caused it. I suspect it might well be the lens though.
2023-9-11
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Nobody films or takes photos against the sun and is surprised about reflections, that's normal
2023-9-12
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

lutzmix Posted at 9-12 00:26
Nobody films or takes photos against the sun and is surprised about reflections, that's normal

With a rapid look at screenshot posted you can clearly view the difference with the two camera on managing the sun’s reflection….

So nobody complain about the existence of flare but how bad osmo action 4 handle the flare with this horrible effect that ruin video.

By the way, is no more a problem, camera is on his way back to vendor
2023-9-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Kingmatley Posted at 9-12 00:51
With a rapid look at screenshot posted you can clearly view the difference with the two camera on managing the sun’s reflection….

So nobody complain about the existence of flare but how bad osmo action 4 handle the flare with this horrible effect that ruin video.

Hello, there. We understand your concerns. When shooting in scenes with strong light sources, for example, shooting footage at sites with scattered light sources at night, shooting indoor with strong lighting, or shooting in strong sunlight, optical refraction and reflection may appear due to the lens structure and transparency. As a result, you may see "glare" in the screen or captured images. This is a common optical phenomenon, so please rest assured to use your camera.
If you frequently shoot footage in the mentioned scenarios, it is recommended to use the provided lens hood. This will greatly reduce the probability of glare occurrence.
Use Tips for the Lens Hood
1. Osmo Action 4 is not waterproof when used with the Osmo Action lens hood. Please avoid using it in high humidity or underwater environments.
2. When using the Osmo Action 4 camera with a lens hood, be careful to avoid scratching the lens, as it is exposed. Please use it with caution and remember to replace the lens hood with the lens cover after shooting.
2023-9-12
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-12 01:05
Hello, there. We understand your concerns. When shooting in scenes with strong light sources, for example, shooting footage at sites with scattered light sources at night, shooting indoor with strong lighting, or shooting in strong sunlight, optical refraction and reflection may appear due to the lens structure and transparency. As a result, you may see "glare" in the screen or captured images. This is a common optical phenomenon, so please rest assured to use your camera.
If you frequently shoot footage in the mentioned scenarios, it is recommended to use the provided lens hood. This will greatly reduce the probability of glare occurrence.
Use Tips for the Lens Hood

Thank you Wanda for your explanation.

Unfortunately for my use the camera is not usable if perform like this. I also own a osmo action and perform like the GoPro with no problem, in same scenario.
Seems I have to wait for the osmo action V ;) cheers
2023-9-12
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All lenses show flare, but I think what you have been seeing is not the kind of flare that we normally see.  That streak that comes from the  main body of the flare is slightly unusual.

Obviously, with a wide angle lens, the chances of getting flare are quite large but you normally see the iris shape rather than a streak. Or a complete whiteout!

The only thing with that hood, it’s so shallow because of the fov that it doesn’t really do a great deal tbh. It is better to just not shoot directly at the sun though with most cameras.
2023-9-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Kingmatley Posted at 9-12 01:22
Thank you Wanda for your explanation.

Unfortunately for my use the camera is not usable if perform like this. I also own a osmo action and perform like the GoPro with no problem, in same scenario.

Thank you for your reply.
We respect your decision and please let us know if you have any questions about our products and services later.
2023-9-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

at nighttime we get the same thing the excuse is to remove the lens and use the low light hoody no glass.
2023-9-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

That flare doesn't bother me at this point, but after seeing theese expmples it maybe will
2023-9-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I gotten used to it ,   as long as the lens is clean the flare is not that bad but on a windshield its  harder
2023-9-12
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Fishycomics Posted at 9-12 11:44
[view_image]

at nighttime we get the same thing the excuse is to remove the lens and use the low light hoody no glass.

Thanks all for the feedback.

This is how the camera will have to manage with backlight, two example on very difficult situation (gopro8):

Gopro8

Gopro8
Horses.mp4_snapshot_00.09.957GOPRO.jpg

How you can see, obviously, there are flares, but the video is not ruined from strange flare effects, like the new osmo 4. (on my old osmo action, the look is the same as the old gopro8, with good render)

I have a lot of Dji stuff, and i'm very happy with it, but the new osmo 4 perform very bad on motorcycle situation (for example I do a lot of enduro and It's impossibile use the camera without lens cover).

Cheers

2023-9-12
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

*duplicate comment deleted*
2023-9-12
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

The flare is so ugly. The issue isnt the flare itself its the shape, it looks terrible. It's not even just sunlight, its basically every night time video, because lights are everywhere at night.

This was a major downside for this camera to me. It seems like gopro doesn't have this issue so im not sure what made DJI think "yea this is fine" when developing the OA4

Untitle22222d.png
2023-9-12
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

jcody_parker Posted at 9-12 22:11
The flare is so ugly. The issue isnt the flare itself its the shape, it looks terrible. This was a major downside for this camera to me. It seems like gopro doesn't have this issue so im not sure what made DJI think "yea this is fine" when developing the OA4

Exactly.

Not only, from what I see from a lot of new video comparaison with competitor the problem is not only with daylight but also on the artificial light.

Cheers
2023-9-12
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

I hope somehow they fix this issue but I don't think it will happen. Seems like a lens design flaw if anything, I've never seen a camera with such a bad looking lens flare even on normal light sources in the background
2023-9-12
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

*duplicate comment deleted*
2023-9-12
Use props
Hamid Blogger
lvl.1

Pakistan

Hey there! Sun flares can be a challenge, especially on the go. Try adjusting your shooting angle or using an ND filter to minimize them. Experimenting with different settings might also help. Happy recording! #OsmoActionTips
2023-9-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Have anyone tried just with the lens hood?
2023-9-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-13 01:03
Have anyone tried just with the lens hood?

The hood doesn’t look deep enough to stop that happening tbh.
2023-9-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

let me do this in a video

download.jpg

2023-9-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-13 02:55
The hood doesn’t look deep enough to stop that happening tbh.

Yeah but to find out if it is the inner or outer lens causing it. My guess will be inner lens, and Fish have probably tested it out now in his video
2023-9-13
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Was not testing lens flare today, but it show clearly here also.

difference.jpg
2023-9-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Man I remembered the Kodak zi8 how we complained back then in 2008  or so
2023-9-13
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 9-13 10:25
Was not testing lens flare today, but it show clearly here also.

From one of the hundred vs on youtube with competitor

GoPro Hero 12 vs DJI Osmo Action 4 - Are they the same.mkv_snapshot_05.34.672.jpg GoPro Hero 12 vs DJI Osmo Action 4 - Are they the same.mkv_snapshot_02.35.249.jpg

GoPro Hero 12 vs DJI Osmo Action 4 - Are they the same.mkv_snapshot_05.44.758.jpg GoPro Hero 12 vs DJI Osmo Action 4 - Are they the same.mkv_snapshot_05.41.591.jpg

2023-9-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI will have to  make a OSmo Action 5   with another companies lens
2023-9-16
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

For reference, yesterday I receveid the Gopro 12 and today tested on same condition

Frame from video : 5.3k log

GX010009.MP4_snapshot_07.46.739.jpg

GX010010.MP4_snapshot_04.30.146.jpg

no strange effect

2023-9-17
Use props
jcody_parker
lvl.2

United States

Kingmatley Posted at 9-17 07:15
For reference, yesterday I receveid the Gopro 12 and today tested on same condition

Frame from video : 5.3k log

Is the hero 12 noise really that bad in the dark areas? Like the handlebars at the bottom
2023-9-20
Use props
Kingmatley
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

jcody_parker Posted at 9-20 06:51
Is the hero 12 noise really that bad in the dark areas? Like the handlebars at the bottom

Nope.

The quality is very good.

The photo is a frame from video taken through video player and saved at a very low quality.
2023-9-20
Use props
fans4b92a0d5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10115 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I also noticed this weird flare on first reviews.
First of all: I'd like it were not so strange.
But I understand that the shape is strange because the lens geometry is aspherical, and this leads to non circular flares.
Why the lens is aspherical only DJI knows. I can guess that it's needed to convey the image on a larger sensor without the need to make the camera bigger.
So... it's a tradeoff. You want small camera, wide lens and big sensor? There is a tradeoff.
It may be acceptable, or maybe not. There are so many possible usage for this camera. In my case I noticed that overall the flare enters the frame rarely, but I do frame each scene before shooting. I can understand that while riding a motorbike this is not possible.
As the bigger sensor leads to better colours and less noise, I accept this tradeoff in my case. Maybe action 5 will address this, hope so. But life is now, I don't want to wait one more year
2023-9-24
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

DJI Action 4 guiding me with divine light!
2023-9-29
Use props
Cloudwalker
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sadly returning my new Action 4 tomorrow. The flare is horrible. My Pocket 3, GoPros do not have this issue. The Sun flare is one thing but that streak it causes is not acceptable. Try again DJI.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_kTvFwiRqnv44
lvl.3
Poland

Have any of you found a way to get rid of flares? I wanted to buy Osmo Action 4 as a successor to version 1, but the flares are unacceptable to me.
2-27 02:55
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I id change my setting and I have noticed a lot less for me,  my Pro settings are:

Shutter 1/100-8000

ISO 100-1600

Sharp -2  Video Noise Reduction -1

Color Normal

Low light enable Auto

WB auto

this video  the Sun is out,  will release  later tomorrow (feb 28th will air)  you will see   what hte settings did

2-27 04:19
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Nobody dealt with these flares? Maybe some other glass for the lens? Unfortunately, it's probably the lenses' fault
https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/com ... ens_flare_solution/

3-28 08:52
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

DJI_user_PL Posted at 3-28 08:52
Nobody dealt with these flares? Maybe some other glass for the lens? Unfortunately, it's probably the lenses' fault
https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/comments/167qz0a/dji_action_4_really_bad_lens_flare_solution/

Get an OA3. It doesn't look as ugly as on the OA4.
3-28 10:35
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

OA3 is really better ?

3-28 11:39
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I think so, yes. First of all, how realistic is that test the dude is doing by waving an LED light in front of / around the camera? What's next? Putting it into a wash machine to see if wind noise reduction really works?

In bright sun, I think the flare is much more reasonable. It's an oval as opposed to resembling a baseball bat like on the 4. And this only happens in certain angles/heights.

Nothing here:

I don't have a lot of evening/night footage, but those are very minimal, too:

3-28 15:47
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules