Disappointing (non) start with the Avata 2, Goggles 3 DOA
455 14 4-18 14:59
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2169833 ft
Canada

Received my Avata 2 -  3 battery fly more kit and FPV remote 3 on Tuesday the 16th. Ordered from the DJI store on the 11th and arrived in 5 days from China to west coast of Canada.
That was a good start but it went downhill from there.   All of the gear looks good. I like the shoulder bag.

Charged all of the batteries and then powered up the drone, goggles and Motion3. Connected my phone to the goggles and activated all through the latest DJI Fly app. Proceeded through the firmware updates of all 3 components and they all completed successfully. Then a flysafe update was completed. That all went smoothly. Did the activation and firmware update of the FPV remote 3 seperately on the PC with DJI Assistant 2.  

Drone firmware V01.00.0200, Goggles 3 firmware V01.00.0100, motion 3 firmware V01.00.0100

Disconnected the phone after all updates were completed and then the goggles view showed the camera view from the drone without any icons on the screen. 5D button and back button on the goggles do nothing. AR Cursor from the motion 3 shows up on the screen and I can see the dot respond if I click but there is nothing on the screen to click on. Tried clicking on the center top, bottom and left of the screen where the menu icons are supposed to be but nothing happens.

If I power up the goggles without the Drone powered on I see the startup DJI logo and then it goes black with no wallpaper image, Icons or anything. Power status lights are on and the fan will start if goggles are on long enough but the screen remains black. If I then power up the drone, the camera feed shows up in the goggles but with no icons.

Succsesfully refreshed the firmware of goggles , drone and Motion 3 with the latest DJI assistant 2 on the PC. But no change in the goggles behaviour. Tried to refresh the firmware of the goggles a second time on the pc but the second refresh failed the update at 3%. Tried to refresh several more times but it kept failing at 3%. Goggles behaviour remains the same.

DJI support has been dissapointing. Called yesterday and after an hour on the phone without any success he told me to call DJI support back back after 24hrs have passed. Called again today and spent another hour on the phone without any resolution and now they want me to wait another 24-48 hours for a call back from their engineers.

I guess I should have known better than to buy a new product at launch from the DJI store. Windless sunny weather with  a new drone here that I am unable to use and no real direction from DJI support as to what they are going to do to rectify it.

On the bright side , the FPV remote 3 works well on the simulators and is lighter than the FPV remote 2. Also like the fit and egonomics of the Motion 3 in my hand.
4-18 14:59
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hello, there. We would like to extend our sincere apology for the unpleasant experience with our service and newly purchased product. Would it be possible for you to provide a short video showing the problem? You may upload the video via Google Drive or Dropbox then provide the link here. I hope to hear from you. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
4-18 16:09
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

sorry to hear this
but from my experience with dji support i can tell you that they will make it work or they will replace it for sure
no worries
4-18 16:54
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 4-18 16:09
Hello, there. We would like to extend our sincere apology for the unpleasant experience with our service and newly purchased product. Would it be possible for you to provide a short video showing the problem? You may upload the video via Google Drive or Dropbox then provide the link here. I hope to hear from you. Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Hello Dianna

Thank you for your reply.

This video is a screen capture recording of my phone connected to the goggles with the DJI Fly app.
It shows the video feed from the Avata 2 camera and the AR cursor of the motion 3. There are no icons on the screen for the AR cursor to access and open any menu's or settings. The 5D button and the back button on the goggles also do nothing. As mentioned in my earlier post with the camera feed from the drone off the screen is black and I can not capture a video of that.
4-18 17:39
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

Just return everything to DJI you have a 15 day return window and have them ship out a new unit.
4-18 19:03
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did the firmware update via the fly app on the phone and it went through really quick,   not sure why you'd bother with the PC unless there was a problem.
4-18 22:19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

MRDroneRookie Posted at 4-18 17:39
Hello Dianna

Thank you for your reply.

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience you had. Currently, we have passed your issue to our engineers and are waiting for their confirmation about your issue. Once there are any updates, we will get back to you. Thank you for your understanding and support.
4-19 02:55
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 4-18 22:19
I did the firmware update via the fly app on the phone and it went through really quick,   not sure why you'd bother with the PC unless there was a problem.

Hi DA.

Yes, as mentioned at the top of my original post "Connected my phone to the goggles and activated all through the latest DJI Fly app. Proceeded through the firmware updates of all 3 components and they all completed successfully. "  You are right that went through really quick. However, afterwards the goggles were non-functional so I tried refreshing the goggles firmware on the PC as the Fly app said the firmware was up to date.
4-19 04:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MRDroneRookie Posted at 4-19 04:21
Hi DA.

Yes, as mentioned at the top of my original post "Connected my phone to the goggles and activated all through the latest DJI Fly app. Proceeded through the firmware updates of all 3 components and they all completed successfully. "  You are right that went through really quick. However, afterwards the goggles were non-functional so I tried refreshing the goggles firmware on the PC as the Fly app said the firmware was up to date.

Daft question,   but you have put them on,  they disable the screens when you're not wearing them.
4-19 04:42
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 4-19 04:42
Daft question,   but you have put them on,  they disable the screens when you're not wearing them.

Hi DA.

Thanks for the suggestion but yes of course I have put them on. At this point it feels like I've worn them more than my goggles2 as I've been trying everything I can think to get them to work over the last three days.
4-19 04:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MRDroneRookie Posted at 4-19 04:48
Hi DA.

Thanks for the suggestion but yes of course I have put them on. At this point it feels like I've worn them more than my goggles2 as I've been trying everything I can think to get them to work over the last three days.

Id just return then and get new ones,  you must have got unlucky.  
4-19 04:50
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 4-19 04:50
Id just return then and get new ones,  you must have got unlucky.

Ya I know.

But I am now regretting purchasing from the DJI store as they are making this process very difficult and frustrating. I should have purchased from Amazon or a local retailer and I would have already exchanged the defective product and been flying by now.
4-19 05:01
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

MRDroneRookie Posted at 4-19 05:01
Ya I know.

But I am now regretting purchasing from the DJI store as they are making this process very difficult and frustrating. I should have purchased from Amazon or a local retailer and I would have already exchanged the defective product and been flying by now.

Hi, we got the answer from our engineers.
We recommend you send the whole set back to our service center for inspection.
Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support/repair?site=brandsite&from=footer
4-21 01:22
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 4-21 01:22
Hi, we got the answer from our engineers.
We recommend you send the whole set back to our service center for inspection.
Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support/repair?site=brandsite&from=footer

Hi. Already sent off for replacement.
Thanks.
4-21 04:55
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

MRDroneRookie Posted at 4-21 04:55
Hi. Already sent off for replacement.
Thanks.

We apologize for the inconvenience again.
Please contact us should you have any questions later.
We will do our best to help you,
4-21 18:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules