270 9 5-6 21:45
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just wanted to share with the forum a recent challenge I had with the M3E.  I had a good working M3E and used it heavily and then late last year got the "maintenance required" check engine light suggesting it was time for a maintenance service.  I sent it in for DJI servicing, and found that just like with the repair service, they actually just send back a replacement drone.  I was good with this, and think this is a great way to do it.  

Now the replacement drone I put into service in December.  Upon using this for jobs, I found a number of "unknown errors" would pop up at very random times, but usually associated with me trying to change from wide to tele, or using hi-res grid shooting, or panos. Error messages always said unknown, and had (0x1C001002) and (0x1C001003).  Usually when these would happen the camera would go unresponsive to further commands, I would fly it back, and then sometimes it would start working, other times, had to power down, etc.  

At the time, I was not figuring out what was going on, and it was random enough i did not take time to investigate.  After finally googling, I found the 1003 error in the SDK, but it was in Chinese only and had no english translation.  I translated in Google Translate and it was "camera chip overheated" which totally explains now why it was failiing on some shots.  I can especially see panoramas etc where no air is floing through the drone.  The interesting thing is that even though i live in a desert climate, I had this starting in December when it can be quite chilly.   So long story short, I think I just got a bum unit back from DJI on my maintenance service.  

I am already getting it replaced by DJI service using an expresss service, so not worried about the outcome, but just wanted to share in case anyone else gets these unknown errors or camera glitches.  My previous M3E definitely did NOT have the same issue even when flying in very warm weather, so I believe this is an isolated failure.

5-6 21:45
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, TonyPHX. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. It seems that the issue that you experienced is a hardware problem. Glad that you're getting a replacement drone. Should you have any issues with the replacement one, please don't hesitate to contact us again.
5-6 22:45
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13800095 ft
  • >>>
United States

This would make sense because camera temperature changing is the only reason DJI has given for the focus randomly changing during a mission. I have never seen the error you mentioned but even on the latest firmware update my focus still changes from infinity mid flight pretty frequently. I've been curious what the life expectancy is for this camera because my shutter count is now at 100,000. This is the estimated shutter count Nikon gives my D5100 but I have long passed that number with it.
5-7 03:15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-7 03:15
This would make sense because camera temperature changing is the only reason DJI has given for the focus randomly changing during a mission. I have never seen the error you mentioned but even on the latest firmware update my focus still changes from infinity mid flight pretty frequently. I've been curious what the life expectancy is for this camera because my shutter count is now at 100,000. This is the estimated shutter count Nikon gives my D5100 but I have long passed that number with it.

Oh wow, that's a really good point.  The focus changes I always thought were some kind of odd bug because I have never seen anything like it.  It wrecks plenty of good videos, luckily I just do a nice slow full 360 and then use the good snippets.  

The shutter count is a real good question.  I suspect these things can handle north of 100K, but it's easy to get to quickly when doings lots of mapping.
5-7 07:14
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-6 22:45
Hi, TonyPHX. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. It seems that the issue that you experienced is a hardware problem. Glad that you're getting a replacement drone. Should you have any issues with the replacement one, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

@DJI Gamora, no worries and thank you.  This is one of those one-off things that can happen.  It did not keep me from using the drone, just a random glitch.  I suspect the replacement M3E will be good.  
5-7 07:16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

TonyPHX Posted at 5-7 07:16
@DJI Gamora, no worries and thank you.  This is one of those one-off things that can happen.  It did not keep me from using the drone, just a random glitch.  I suspect the replacement M3E will be good.

Thank you for being positive despite what happened. Have a nice day, TonyPHX!
5-9 03:01
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 320043 ft
Croatia

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-7 03:15
This would make sense because camera temperature changing is the only reason DJI has given for the focus randomly changing during a mission. I have never seen the error you mentioned but even on the latest firmware update my focus still changes from infinity mid flight pretty frequently. I've been curious what the life expectancy is for this camera because my shutter count is now at 100,000. This is the estimated shutter count Nikon gives my D5100 but I have long passed that number with it.

how can you check shutter count?
5-28 12:30
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13800095 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pro88Cro Posted at 5-28 12:30
how can you check shutter count?

Use the command line tool EXIFtool. Or if you're lazy like me, use this online tool: Shutter Count Online Tool
5-28 15:58
Use props
Pro88Cro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 320043 ft
Croatia

Mine is at 48k. I believed it was higher number than that
6-4 02:49
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 5-28 15:58
Use the command line tool EXIFtool. Or if you're lazy like me, use this online tool: Shutter Count Online Tool

I had forgotten about that.  I went down a rat hole trying to retrieve from device. : )
6-6 06:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules