332 50 5-7 05:39
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14754314 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very sunny but windy day today so went out to burn three batteries with the Avata 2 and the RC Motion 3 to get more practice.

Camera set to manual: -
ISO: 100
S/S: 1/120
Res: 4K (rendered to 1080p)
FPS: 60
WB: Fixed at 5500K
FOV: Ultrawide
EIS: RockSteady3.0
Colour: Normal
Sharpness: -1
EV: around -0.3 (with a DJI ND16 on the lens)
Footage unedited but added music via LightCut

5-7 05:39
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice flying and a great place to explore AJ.  
5-7 13:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-7 13:36
Nice flying and a great place to explore AJ.

That new forest area being grown at the back of the field looks like somewhere to explore a bit more woth the precision of the RC3 which I'm pleased to say is arrvin today so I can begin my journey to learning to fly in manual
5-7 21:40
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome AJ,   what a nice big space to explore.
5-7 23:19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-7 23:19
Awesome AJ,   what a nice big space to explore.

Lots of different fields around the flying field. I ventured out a bit too reaching 410m yesterday. The signal remained strong but unlike previous drones I have no intention of flying this far.
5-7 23:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-7 23:21
Lots of different fields around the flying field. I ventured out a bit too reaching 410m yesterday. The signal remained strong but unlike previous drones I have no intention of flying this far.

You'll find its not as good as that inside the woods,  the trees really suck up the signal.
5-8 00:14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 00:14
You'll find its not as good as that inside the woods,  the trees really suck up the signal.

I will definitely set my RTH failsafe to hover then!
5-8 00:43
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-8 00:43
I will definitely set my RTH failsafe to hover then!

I think thats a must in those cases.   At least low battery give you plenty of warning to cancel.
5-8 00:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 00:46
I think thats a must in those cases.   At least low battery give you plenty of warning to cancel.

I noticed on the RC3 that there is a start/stop botton on the back - is that for arming the motors and if so, does that apply to normal and manual take offs?
5-8 00:53
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-8 00:53
I noticed on the RC3 that there is a start/stop botton on the back - is that for arming the motors and if so, does that apply to normal and manual take offs?

Normal and sport take off you arm the motors like any other drone,  double press the start button to arm he motors in manual with the left stick down,    but beware take off is HARD.    I can do it in the Sim no problem at all ,  but in real life it's totally different.
5-8 01:28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 01:28
Normal and sport take off you arm the motors like any other drone,  double press the start button to arm he motors in manual with the left stick down,    but beware take off is HARD.    I can do it in the Sim no problem at all ,  but in real life it's totally different.

Good to know - take off and landing in normal only! Think I'll switch to manual when high up to give myself time to pause the air brake if I start to lose control.
Does manual have an emergency mid air motor cut off on the RC?
5-8 02:19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-8 02:19
Good to know - take off and landing in normal only! Think I'll switch to manual when high up to give myself time to pause the air brake if I start to lose control.
Does manual have an emergency mid air motor cut off on the RC?

Yes,  thats how I crashed on the first attempt.   

When you get the FPV controller you'll need to configure the drone to allow you to switch to Manual, you need to go into the Controller settings and you'll see what all the buttons are configured for, by default the N/S/M switch only does support,  and the other 3 way switch you can set to gimbal  or motor off,  best to check them all so you know whats what.
5-8 02:21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-7 21:40
That new forest area being grown at the back of the field looks like somewhere to explore a bit more woth the precision of the RC3 which I'm pleased to say is arrvin today so I can begin my journey to learning to fly in manual

Getting the RC3 delivered and set up and then hitting the simulator with it will be a huge step toward manual flying.  Now you just have to maintain your no crash record.  
5-8 02:29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 02:21
Yes,  thats how I crashed on the first attempt.   

When you get the FPV controller you'll need to configure the drone to allow you to switch to Manual, you need to go into the Controller settings and you'll see what all the buttons are configured for, by default the N/S/M switch only does support,  and the other 3 way switch you can set to gimbal  or motor off,  best to check them all so you know whats what.

Brilliant - I'll check everything before even using the sim.

I read somewhere that you can also double press on the C1 to initiate turtle mode - that will come in handy - there is no quick access to turtle mode on the motion controller - it'll be stolen by a passer-by by the time you've found the command to do it lol
5-8 02:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 02:29
Getting the RC3 delivered and set up and then hitting the simulator with it will be a huge step toward manual flying.  Now you just have to maintain your no crash record.

That's the aim Rich but I know it's only a matter of time until I do crash it but thats part of the process and why I bought care refresh. If crashing it and even the need for the odd repair means I can master -80degree dives, figure of 8's and 60mph power loops in the next few months then it'll be worth it. Can't be put off with the odd knock. Plenty of things to help me including great advice, a good sim and a pause button!
5-8 02:36
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 02:36
That's the aim Rich but I know it's only a matter of time until I do crash it but thats part of the process and why I bought care refresh. If crashing it and even the need for the odd repair means I can master -80degree dives, figure of 8's and 60mph power loops in the next few months then it'll be worth it. Can't be put off with the odd knock. Plenty of things to help me including great advice, a good sim and a pause button!

Thank goodness for the pause button.  I have no doubt you'll master manual flying and all the fun it will bring.
5-8 03:10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 03:10
Thank goodness for the pause button.  I have no doubt you'll master manual flying and all the fun it will bring.

Thanks Rich - appreciate your support and kind words
5-8 03:35
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 03:35
Thanks Rich - appreciate your support and kind words

It's my pleasure.  I'll be watching for those videos where you are doing loops, etc.  
5-8 12:20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 12:20
It's my pleasure.  I'll be watching for those videos where you are doing loops, etc.

All set up but my new RC3 isn't compatible with my sim Minor set back
5-8 12:45
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 12:45
All set up but my new RC3 isn't compatible with my sim  Minor set back

Dang, that's really sad to hear.  Are there any work arounds?
5-8 12:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 12:46
Dang, that's really sad to hear.  Are there any work arounds?

I can still use the sim with my gamepad so I'll keep doing that as it's still teaching me what the sticks do and gives me an idea of what to expect but I'm just going to follow Xaviers tutorials on YouTube and manage my progression in the field while taking extra precautionary steps as I build my skills and confidence. I still practice in the sim too but not with the RC3.
5-8 13:06
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 13:06
I can still use the sim with my gamepad so I'll keep doing that as it's still teaching me what the sticks do and gives me an idea of what to expect but I'm just going to follow Xaviers tutorials on YouTube and manage my progression in the field while taking extra precautionary steps as I build my skills and confidence. I still practice in the sim too but not with the RC3.

Gotta and that makes total sense to do it that way.  
5-8 13:35
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 13:35
Gotta and that makes total sense to do it that way.

There are compatible sims with the FPV RC3 it seems but they are on STEAM and my Macbook is not powerful enough to run them and I am not dropping two grand on a new Macbook now just to fly in a £20 sim lol (though I am upgrading my Mac this summer but for totally different reasons).     
At least I still have a sim though and can use it with some form of an RC that has helped a bit so far.
5-8 13:56
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 13:56
There are compatible sims with the FPV RC3 it seems but they are on STEAM and my Macbook is not powerful enough to run them and I am not dropping two grand on a new Macbook now just to fly in a £20 sim lol (though I am upgrading my Mac this summer but for totally different reasons).     
At least I still have a sim though and can use it with some form of an RC that has helped a bit so far.

Ah, so you are an Apple person like DAFlys.  I tend to prefer open source.  Years back I used to make ROMS for several different mobile devices.  
5-8 14:15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-8 14:15
Ah, so you are an Apple person like DAFlys.  I tend to prefer open source.  Years back I used to make ROMS for several different mobile devices.

Yes, David often gives sound advice as I'm not the most tech savvy person lol I've been an apple guy since the release of the iphone 1 in 2007. I'm also typing this into a macbook that I bought in August 2014 - never been serviced, same battery, use it everyday, never broken.
5-8 14:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-8 02:30
Brilliant - I'll check everything before even using the sim.

I read somewhere that you can also double press on the C1 to initiate turtle mode - that will come in handy - there is no quick access to turtle mode on the motion controller - it'll be stolen by a passer-by by the time you've found the command to do it lol

You can set what the button do so turtle mode can be set to any of the configurable buttons,   I have C1 set to beep the ESC just in case.
5-8 22:30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-8 22:30
You can set what the button do so turtle mode can be set to any of the configurable buttons,   I have C1 set to beep the ESC just in case.

I've set C1 to ESC bleep with one press and turtle mode with two presses.

Kept C2 at default to pitch the gimbal: -80/0/+85 degrees
5-9 00:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 00:30
I've set C1 to ESC bleep with one press and turtle mode with two presses.

Kept C2 at default to pitch the gimbal: -80/0/+85 degrees

Thats how mines set,   but I think when I activated manual mode t he C2 setting got updated to power off motor.
5-9 00:34
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 00:34
Thats how mines set,   but I think when I activated manual mode t he C2 setting got updated to power off motor.

Jesus H. - what next lol it's they want us to crash in manual!
5-9 00:41
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 00:41
Jesus H. - what next lol it's they want us to crash in manual!

Did you see Alex's first training flight in M mode,   damn he made it look easy.
5-9 00:47
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 00:47
Did you see Alex's first training flight in M mode,   damn he made it look easy.

Not yet - have you got a link to that too?
5-9 01:00
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-9 01:00
Not yet - have you got a link to that too?

It's over in the products section, but he's just told me it wasnt his first ever.
5-9 01:04
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-9 01:04
It's over in the products section, but he's just told me it wasnt his first ever.

Cool.
I imagine its a bit like learning to drive a car - some take their test and pass after a few lessons while others never take their test. You just need to learn at your pace and not give up.
5-9 01:14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-8 14:32
Yes, David often gives sound advice as I'm not the most tech savvy person lol I've been an apple guy since the release of the iphone 1 in 2007. I'm also typing this into a macbook that I bought in August 2014 - never been serviced, same battery, use it everyday, never broken.

Yes, that Macbook has served you well.  However, after 10 years it's about time to upgrade for a bit more processing power I'd think.  
5-9 02:34
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 02:34
Yes, that Macbook has served you well.  However, after 10 years it's about time to upgrade for a bit more processing power I'd think.

Yeah, my iphone is more powerful. I new MacBook Pro is coming this summer!
5-9 05:49
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-9 05:49
Yeah, my iphone is more powerful. I new MacBook Pro is coming this summer!

That's sounds like a great upgrade is coming soon then.  
5-9 12:45
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 12:45
That's sounds like a great upgrade is coming soon then.

One that will last another decade! lol
5-9 12:51
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-9 12:51
One that will last another decade! lol

Based on your previous MAC's track record I have no doubt the replacement will last another decade also.  
5-9 13:09
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-9 13:09
Based on your previous MAC's track record I have no doubt the replacement will last another decade also.

Fingers crossed!
5-9 13:15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-9 13:15
Fingers crossed!

Even though I'm not an Apple fanboy I do know their products are well made and tend to last a long time.  Well, we do know where they were made.
5-9 13:33
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules