424 22 5-10 01:47
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm just not convinced or spending any more money on this hobby until something radical or completely new tech hit's the market...

Flying AVATA 1 using the motion controller only as it's too underpowered for freestyle and I will stick to my RC Quads like the Nazgul for flips and rolls

5-10 01:47
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036263 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

• Camera's drastically better, especially in low light and you get D-Log M with massively improved dynamic range (even obvious in Normal colour profile).
  • It has O4 transmission with more antennas and 2.4GHz mode which can get you better range/penetration outside urban areas.
  • It has QuickTransfer so you can get your footage via wifi and Goggles 3 have live video sharing over wifi.
  • If QuickTransfer doesn't fit your needs, USB-C and MicroSD card slot are both *much* more accessible.
  • It can charge the battery via USB-C PD in a pinch.
  • It's lighter, props are spread out and side profile lowered so less prone to yaw washout.
  • Gimbal has much higher range, is almost 70% faster, and you can barely see the frame when pitched all the way down.
  • It's slightly faster in Sport mode, and 50% faster at ascent and descent.
  • Goggles 3 are the most comfortable FPV goggles ever made. Not just by DJI.

That's just off the top of my head, I probably forgot a few things because I'm already used to the new, better Avata. Oh yeah, easy acro, forgot that as I'm not the target audicence, but looks like people are loving it. I don't know what more you'd want from a cinewhoop other than maybe a full 3-axis gimbal for 100% mechanical stabilisation.

That said, nothing wrong with staying with Avata 1 if it fits your needs, but it's objectively wrong to say it does just as good. I loved mine but was annoyed by a few things (the worst part was offloading footage due to both USB-C and MicroSD slot being in between the prop blades, that alone was reason enoguh for me to upgrade ), all of which are fixed now and then some, so I was happy to upgrade.
5-10 07:44
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14588274 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-10 07:44
  • Camera's drastically better, especially in low light and you get D-Log M with massively improved dynamic range (even obvious in Normal colour profile).
  • It has O4 transmission with more antennas and 2.4GHz mode which can get you better range/penetration outside urban areas.
  • It has QuickTransfer so you can get your footage via wifi and Goggles 3 have live video sharing over wifi.

• Agreed - it's also a LOT quieter and the flight times are up to 5 minutes longer per battery.
    5-10 08:09
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

A J Posted at 5-10 08:09
    Agreed - it's also a LOT quieter and the flight times are up to 5 minutes longer per battery.

Oh yeah, prop noise is a big one I forgot! Just goes to show how easy it is to get used to better things and to forget how much worse it was before
    5-10 12:57
    Use props
    A J
    Captain
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-10 12:57
    Oh yeah, prop noise is a big one I forgot! Just goes to show how easy it is to get used to better things and to forget how much worse it was before

That was one of the main reasons I passed on the Avata 1 which was a shame as I was so close to buying that drone but I couldn't of dealt with that noise! It made the Inspire sound like a kite!
    5-10 13:07
    Use props
    The Saint
    First Officer
    Flight distance : 6260171 ft
    • >>>
    United States

I tend to fly far enough away that the noise from the Avata 1 doesn't bother me.  Good news is I can hear it clearly (but faintly) while I am flying and it's helpful to listen to the motors so I know when it's struggling.  Unfortunately whomever is out there nearest to my Avata 1 is probably getting an earful.  I actually feel bad for them because Avata 1 is pretty whiny.  On the flip side, at least it doesn't sound as scary as FPV at full speed which is a bit more quiet overall but those motors are disturbing to say the least.
    5-10 15:14
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

The Saint Posted at 5-10 15:14
    I tend to fly far enough away that the noise from the Avata 1 doesn't bother me.  Good news is I can hear it clearly (but faintly) while I am flying and it's helpful to listen to the motors so I know when it's struggling.  Unfortunately whomever is out there nearest to my Avata 1 is probably getting an earful.  I actually feel bad for them because Avata 1 is pretty whiny.  On the flip side, at least it doesn't sound as scary as FPV at full speed which is a bit more quiet overall but those motors are disturbing to say the least.

I once went close to 4.5km out with Avata 1 and could still hear it clearly, just with a big delay obviously, which only made it disorienting tbh. I don’t think I’ve experienced such piercing noise with any other fpv drone ever My 5” freestyle quads are quiet enough 150-200m away not to hear them unless doing full throttle punches.
    5-10 22:02
    Use props
    ReproRetro
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 688652 ft
    Australia

• I'm glad I upgraded.
    Also, it doesn't go into a crazy spin when you take your finger of the trigger and relax your wrist.
    And you can see through the goggles (in stereo) instead of having to take them off.
    5-10 22:21
    Use props
    ReproRetro
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 688652 ft
    Australia

A J Posted at 5-10 08:09
    Agreed - it's also a LOT quieter and the flight times are up to 5 minutes longer per battery.

Yes, I really noticed the difference with both of these.
    I was videoing over a lake some distance away without worrying about the battery and I was able to video swans without scaring them
    5-10 22:23
    Use props
    celltx
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 7399311 ft

Israel

What's about Avata 2 being too brittle? Some people complain it does not survive even a minor crash.

Avata 1's crash survivability is superb. Other than broken propellers, it gets no damage in most cases
    5-10 23:46
    Use props
    A J
    Captain
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

celltx Posted at 5-10 23:46
    What's about Avata 2 being too brittle? Some people complain it does not survive even a minor crash.

Avata 1's crash survivability is superb. Other than broken propellers, it gets no damage in most cases

Watch the crash videos on YT - I've seen the Avata 2 fall from 30 feet only to be flipped over in turtle mode to continue flying. It seems durability is more of an issue when the drone collides with solid objects like walls and concrete but bumps into trees, falling onto grass does not seem to be a problem. Though I'm yet to crash mine after 24 flights and I've started flying in acro mode.
    5-11 00:50
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

celltx Posted at 5-10 23:46

Avata 1 was definitely too beefy for what it was - a cinewhoop. Avata 2 being slightly more fragile (by being less heavy) should not be considered as a bad thing imo. It still looks more than capable of surviving any crash that a cinewhoop should ever find itself in. If you go hardcore freestyle with a plastic whoop, it's all on you.

It's sad that they took away the ability to replace prop guards ourself though. Such a simple fix really shouldn't require sending the drone in for service.
    5-11 03:17
    Use props
    celltx
    lvl.4

Israel

What do you say about this crash and damage? From my experience, Avata-1 would survive that:

5-11 07:46
    Use props
    celltx
    lvl.4

Israel

This is another crash at fairly moderate speed of 14mph that caused a broken cage. Avata-1 would survive that with no damage:

5-11 07:57
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

celltx Posted at 5-11 07:46
    What do you say about this crash and damage? From my experience, Avata-1 would survive that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwYEOE8UJLE

First of all, that person should really stay out of manual mode for safety of themselves and everyone else within 4km.

Second, that was not the crash that broke it. That was a crash that probably made them bounce off a tree onto the asphalt road where the thing actually broke...
    5-11 10:05
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

celltx Posted at 5-11 07:57
    This is another crash at fairly moderate speed of 14mph that caused a broken cage. Avata-1 would survive that with no damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlXJe1npUIs

Again, complete lack of awareness and common sense. But yeah, I agree Avata 1 probably would've survived this one.
    5-11 10:08
    Use props
    Luca Rubino
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 711512 ft
    • >>>
    Italy

• You miss  a big cons with the Avata 2: it is not reparable by yourself.
    If you break a prop guards? Send it to DJI $$$. Need to clean it after accidentally landed in a mud? Send it to DJI $$$. Need to change a motor? Send it to DJI $$$. Everything else? Send to DJI $$$.
    You could say "oh there is the DJI care". Yes.. it's costs 129 + 29 dollars more (at least). Just to change a prop guard.
    I see O3 vs O4 comparison. Of course the O4 is better, but not so far. It's not a night and day change like it was with the Vista and O3.
    With Avata 1 you could choose the band.
    5-11 10:58
    Use props
    vid3
    lvl.1
    Poland

The design of the avata-2 doesn't look too difficult to open. I think the problem is the lack of spare parts available for sale. We have to wait a while. They will be on aliexpress soon. Now I'm waiting for the opportunity to purchase additional batteries. Flying with just one battery is depressing.
    5-11 11:26
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

Luca Rubino Posted at 5-11 10:58
    You miss  a big cons with the Avata 2: it is not reparable by yourself.
    If you break a prop guards? Send it to DJI $$$. Need to clean it after accidentally landed in a mud? Send it to DJI $$$. Need to change a motor? Send it to DJI $$$. Everything else? Send to DJI $$$.
    You could say "oh there is the DJI care". Yes.. it's costs 129 + 29 dollars more (at least). Just to change a prop guard.

I haven't had to replace a single part on any of 20+ cinewhoops I've owned over the past 6 years. I can live with a one-time DJI Care replacement if I do manage to break this one. Stop treating Avata as a freestyle fpv quad.
    5-11 13:42
    Use props
    fichek
    Second Officer
    • >>>
    Croatia

vid3 Posted at 5-11 11:26
    The design of the avata-2 doesn't look too difficult to open. I think the problem is the lack of spare parts available for sale. We have to wait a while. They will be on aliexpress soon. Now I'm waiting for the opportunity to purchase additional batteries. Flying with just one battery is depressing.

Yeah, parts will be available any minute now just like they are for every other DJI drone. And yeah, getting the single battery combo was a bad idea
    5-11 13:44
    Use props
    vid3
    lvl.1
    Poland

The Avata-2 with three batteries has been out of stock for some time. Probably due to low availability of batteries..
    5-12 00:15
    Use props
    MisterSpyezFPV
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 1663 ft
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

some good responses on the avata 2 upgrades above, when I said I wasn't prepared to upgrade i'm just being personal about my drone collection as if I want to fly long range I got the chimera7 inch from iflight freestyle the nazgul 5 inch and for up close gap and cinematic stuff the geprc cinebot 20....

that being said as a travel drone the avata 1 & 2 is perfect... the motion controller is a lot of fun too
    5-13 00:40
    Use props
    Montfrooij
    Captain
    Flight distance : 2560453 ft
    • >>>
    Netherlands

True, you don't need the latest and greatest.
    The person behind the knobs takes the video or photo.
    5-23 09:53
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules